Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I've had my commendations screen be broken like that for the past week or so, and I can confirm that the 'load into a raid and leave' trick worked to fix me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
destiny servers are buckling on the strain, i started getting lots of "contacting destiny servers..." while running a deep dive, then battleeye crashed and i was kicked to splashscreen.

now they're throttling logins

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Kesper North posted:

destiny servers are buckling on the strain, i started getting lots of "contacting destiny servers..." while running a deep dive, then battleeye crashed and i was kicked to splashscreen.

now they're throttling logins

I just killed the boss for a flawless, master lost sector run when it kicked me :mad:
I demand stability.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Did they fix the Callus cheese? I can't do it anymore. That mission sucks I kind of hate being forced to use strand.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

smallmouth posted:

Did they fix the Callus cheese? I can't do it anymore. That mission sucks I kind of hate being forced to use strand.

The second phase part of it should still work, but they did fix the first phase of the cheese. There's already an alternate way to do it, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUUSbu5bncs

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

smallmouth posted:

I kind of hate being forced to use strand.

Strand is a lot of fun...

Once you're done with the mission and have access to your aspects and the right fragments.

Forcing people to test their patience with an underpowered version of the kit in order get access to the good version was a dubious decision.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Get a pal to run strand titan and spam Calus with the shackle grenade. With the Strand boost you can get them back by the time his stun wears off and just do it over and over.

I helped a buddy this way and didn’t realize we did it on legendary. It was MUCH harder before that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I won fishing. Now to just convince Bungie to give me that "Fish fear me" hat as an in game ornament :v:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If I wanted to do something one handed for a half hour with a reward at the end, it certainly ain't Destiny.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
LMAO!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smallmouth posted:

Use all of the free grapple points to abuse the gently caress out of the grapple melee. If you're on Hunter, use Assassin's Cowl, if you're on Warlock, use Karnstein, if you're on Titan, uhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno, I haven't found a super broken combo there yet.

Paracelsus posted:

Forcing people to test their patience with an underpowered version of the kit in order get access to the good version was a dubious decision.

At the time, I loving hated this. I hated how my carefully curated loadout just kept getting shoved down a pile of stairs to use this half-baked thing that I couldn't customize at all and I just couldn't beat the Osiris training mission against the Vex to save my loving life, but it eventually forced me to rethink how I was doing it, and then I found the Assassin's Cowl combo and everything kinda clicked.

I still think they could've done it more elegantly (letting me actually look at the poo poo I had equipped would've been a nice start), but forcing me to use Strand forced me to think about building around what Strand could do. :shrug:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 8, 2023

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

As far as I can tell it’s only required to grapple to the platform with the AA guns in the Calus mission. Otherwise it’d be nice to be able to switch back to whatever you started with instead of forcing the gimped setup. I have quite a few of the strand powers purchased, and even then you can’t adjust your build from what they offer after you “look within.”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Campaign Strand was so OP. Mayhem cooldowns and something like 3x damage against calus? 5x or more maybe?

I kept thinking Osiris was just adding flavor by saying stuff like "strand is the only thing calus won't have seen coming" but he was trying to say to the player, "Strand deals hyper super mega bonus damage. Use often!"

All that silly talk of calus boss cheese when you could just pop super to get him in last stand, kill a few mooks to get another super, and one shot him right out of his thunderdome

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

smallmouth posted:

As far as I can tell it’s only required to grapple to the platform with the AA guns in the Calus mission. Otherwise it’d be nice to be able to switch back to whatever you started with instead of forcing the gimped setup. I have quite a few of the strand powers purchased, and even then you can’t adjust your build from what they offer after you “look within.”

Actually there is a little path that is incredibly not obvious to get up there too I believe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah there's a path of wreckage and stuff if you go to the back of the area and jump around. They probably put it in for people like me who hadn't mastered grappling yet and kept falling off

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
There is a path and I absolutely take it every time rather than fall to my death when the grapple whips me too far from the ship and loses binding.

Edit: ^^^^lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I did the campaign 3 times and I have never successfully grappled to the cabal thresher

I figured it was a trap! That's supposed to work?! It just carried me further from the goal and then detached

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i hate the lightfall campaign because i hate using strand

"but kith, strand is good!"

so is my other stuff. i do not need strand. i do not want strand. i want my "oh poo poo" button and volatile rounds.

any other campaign mission i'll gladly replay, but i'm tired of destiny shoving what i'm "supposed to do" in my face instead of letting me do my own thing. the death of Match Game was celebrated for a reason

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I did the campaign 3 times and I have never successfully grappled to the cabal thresher

I figured it was a trap! That's supposed to work?! It just carried me further from the goal and then detached

Same. Straight up thought it was either a joke or broken.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

any other campaign mission i'll gladly replay, but i'm tired of destiny shoving what i'm "supposed to do" in my face instead of letting me do my own thing. the death of Match Game was celebrated for a reason

yeah, gently caress them raid mechanics, you can't tell me what to do! -dunks at wrong spot, dies-

I do think there's some value in trying to show a player how something can be good/useful - restrictions breed creativity and I think the game would be worse if the answer to everything was to just steamroll the game with one single build. That said, it definitely is not fun to feel overly restricted or to be force into using a single thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was a bad idea to both increase the challenge and also force a new thing at the same time. When stuff gets hard of course you want to use your most comfortable, most tweaked, most effective loadout. Not the brand new thing you just got the base unlock for

If they really wanted you to use Strand on Calus, he should have been immune to all other damage types at least temporarily

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Grappling to the threshers is possible but extremely inconsistent, I was so relieved when I found the alternate path.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Bungie doesn't seem to understand why a particular carrot or stick works. This is why fishing is fun this season (completely optional, decent loot for the effort you put in) and why they'll gently caress up whatever minigame they go for next, by making it required for X / giving it another layer of in-game currency that you need to spend at another location for no reason / limited loot per week / etc etc

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

idk I feel like fishing is already kind of hosed up because every 10-15 minutes bungie kicks down the door and goes "okay, time to do a PE, fucker" and I just go to orbit since everyone seems to scatter to the wind after the PE is done anyways

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

smallmouth posted:

You are not forced to use Strand. I killed Legendary Calus twice on Solar. I've never actually killed him on Strand.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/bungiehelp/status/1666846549320806400?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Oh ok

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

yeah, gently caress them raid mechanics, you can't tell me what to do! -dunks at wrong spot, dies-

there's a big difference between "here is a puzzle for you to solve and the tools to do it with" and "you have to fight enemies using this specific build with these specific abilities/damage types, not your preferred build and loadout"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But enough about master raids!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is there any practical reason to do master raids? The rewards have always seemed very underwhelming to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

Is there any practical reason to do master raids? The rewards have always seemed very underwhelming to me.

You can now focus / enhance the adept guns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

You need to do at least one master run for a raid title, and adept weapons are slightly better than equivalent non-adept weapons

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

there's a big difference between "here is a puzzle for you to solve and the tools to do it with" and "you have to fight enemies using this specific build with these specific abilities/damage types, not your preferred build and loadout"

Potato potatoh. Both are puzzles, but I've already agreed they're different kinds of puzzles.

Sometimes the raid puzzle is very much "dont use your preferred build and loadout because div and well make a world of difference"

But I do agree, I enjoy puzzles involving coordination and mechanics over "have the right counters" - I just think the latter *can* open up players to trying things they normally might not - there's some value to that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Unrelated super not-hot take:

Malfeasance and Lucky Pants is truly an amazing and fun combo for melting enemies.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was on my second playthrough when I realized you have to keep your camera pointed towards the thresher. Keep the strand grapple in front of you and you'll ride indefinitely.

Maybe there's a less forgiving breakpoint that I don't remember but it worked for me every time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

But I do agree, I enjoy puzzles involving coordination and mechanics over "have the right counters" - I just think the latter *can* open up players to trying things they normally might not - there's some value to that.

one of the very few things that i've ever agreed with blizzard on is the philosophy of "bring the player, not the class"

granted they utterly failed at correctly implementing that but y'know

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Super Well needs to stop keeping you alive against all threats, so they can stop designing DPS Phases that will kill you unless you're in a well

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As a titan I physically can't bring a well so it doesn't affect me. Therefor the design is perfectly fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just give all bosses more boop attacks or Heigan the unclean that poo poo make the floor lava

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Super Well needs to stop keeping you alive against all threats, so they can stop designing DPS Phases that will kill you unless you're in a well

titans have finally found a usage in providing void overshields from rally barricades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There is no reason to do Master Raids at all apart from titles (Epeen), love of the game or personal achievement. The armor stats suck, the adept perks are minusculely better than normal and the juice is most def not worth the squeeze.

You do master raids mostly because you love the game and you're chasing the type of difficulty, engagement, fun and sense of accomplishment you got out of Contest mode imo. Its fun to do hard things with your friends. Most normal mode raids are total AFK/Auto-pilot fests at this point. Running with a competent crew is basically akin to 6 nerds grunting at each other as you one bang every encounter if you don't know each other.

There is rarely a reason to convene ~ the crew ~ in order to tackle a piece of engaging, challenging content and I think Destiny is worse off for it. You never need to really load up on guns and bring your friends and I'd love for them to bring back or refresh alot of the older seasonals or expansion activities with Master level options, especially the six man space.

We get a master raid (only 4 master raids in the game boooooooo refresh all the old ones with master), wellspring.....legendares?kinda? as "difficult" or engaging6 man content outside of the Master Raid space and it makes me sad. Master Wellspring is a great little espresso shot of more difficult than average 6 man content. I'd kill for a Master version of Splicer's Override with Master Ketchcrash and Master Salvage in a little node to bang out for some crafting mats or golfballs or something.

I really hope they keep this sort of like optional difficulty thing in the seasonals and various activties a-la deep dive because the seasonals could actually be engaging to play now instead of just dicking around. Salvage needs like 3x the adds.

MASTER DEEPDIVE/SALVAGE WHEN!?

It makes me sad that my vault is an absolute arsenal of weapons and armors of all shapes and sizes and the only time any of it really matters is Contest, Master, Lowman or a few GM's because the rest of the game is so easy.

re: Well

Bungie has to continue to design encounters around well until they rip it out of the game because it is by far the best skill in the game. They could make solar warlocks trade their powered meele and grenade for well and it would still be the best thing in the game.