Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TDepressionEarl posted:

The Lion King (2022) made a billion dollars, everyone saw it, and everybody saw how bad it was. Markets aren't rational but I'm relieved it flopped like a fish.

Everyone knows what happens in a Mario movie just like a Mario game, he saves the princess, but studios need to gesture at some sort of novelty instead of Disney's paint by numbers. I like three minute pop song covers and Tex Avery reruns but I'm not paying for an entire cover movie.

Honestly paint by numbers would be better than what Disney is doing, it seems like everything they change is for the worse but a shallow appeal to 'modern' aesthetics. The Mario movie sticking close to the game formula and aesthetic is what made it stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there any merit to the idea that Disney churns out these remakes to [re-]exert control of the trademarks/copyrights?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, most of them are based on public domain stories to begin with. Trademarks you can just renew and don't refer to entire films but to like, designs and poo poo you use to market a product.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

KomradeX posted:

Is hard to break through any of the propaganda about China, just today on a podcast someone made a joke about Finn not being on Chinese posters for Star Wars

Wouldn't this just mean that some marketing person at disney removed him from the posters for the Chinese release

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there any merit to the idea that Disney churns out these remakes to [re-]exert control of the trademarks/copyrights?

This article covers some of the poo poo Hollywood is planning. Did you want a Dexter spin off or 3? A sequel to weeds? Nurse Jackie?

They're just pumping out any old poo poo that was popular once

https://www.vulture.com/2023/06/streaming-industry-netflix-max-disney-hulu-apple-tv-prime-video-peacock-paramount.html

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's hard to break through the propaganda that Chinese cars are subpar

Geely and MG seem nice. I wouldn't mind driving one
Gonna snitch tag this in the i hate cars thread

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

All of it is protected and will be for decades for the most part (obviously except for some of the early work which is becoming public domain), cashing in on nostalgia works. People loved all of those animated films when they were children, and the logical thing is to squeeze every cent of them possible until people are absolutely sick of the IP and then hand it off to release it on video.

Obviously, you eventually get declining returns as the work of the last 20–10 years has become more and more subpar, and less and less people will care about it. Also, people forget that there are plenty of Disney animated works that were bombs that no one cares about (the Black Cauldron etc).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

No, most of them are based on public domain stories to begin with. Trademarks you can just renew and don't refer to entire films but to like, designs and poo poo you use to market a product.
disney doesn't have a snow white copyright or whatever, but it does own the disney look of snow white, so if you try to make a snow white wear a puffy dress in your own show, disney will murder you with lawyers because they're a worldwide conglomerate with infinite money and that means they can own the design because what are you gonna do about it, fight them in court? lol

in addition

gradenko_2000 posted:

kinda, but not really. it does let them sit on designs for longer, but media corps also control the US govt, and they will just periodically extend copyrights when the time comes. there's always some back and forth around the time when it happens because ~2 party state~ lol, but it always goes through when it needs to. disney has the oldest merch still in copyright so people whine about disney specifically, but if the mouse didn't exist it'd just be some other garbage

no, the constant remakes, sequels, and spinoffs are mostly because big corporations are artistically bankrupt because they actively drive people with original ideas out. original ideas are risky and movies now somehow cost a gorillion dollars to make in spite of tech advances, and moneybags aren't going to risk a flop when it's easy to cash in on some good old fashioned nostalgia

a lot of people with good ideas also escaped into TV, but you can read how that shitshow's going in the link jose posted, it's real funny poo poo

e: incidentally, iirc mouse expires sometime soon, again. can't wait for the culture wars about it in 2024 after all the desantis stunts about disney recently lmao

Truga has issued a correction as of 11:14 on Jun 8, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the responses. I do realize that Disney could just bribe congress to extend its legal protections to however long it wants, which is why I questioned that narrative

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Congress changes copyright laws every 20 years to protect Disney poo poo.

You are not touching their poo poo. You can make more weird Peter Pan movies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Steamboat Willie expires on January 1st 2024, and the characters from the Mickey Mouse comic strip start expiring 2 years later.

Oswald the rabbit is public domain, you could print him on a t-shirt and sell it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Jun 8, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TDepressionEarl posted:

The Lion King (2022) made a billion dollars, everyone saw it, and everybody saw how bad it was. Markets aren't rational but I'm relieved it flopped like a fish.

Everyone knows what happens in a Mario movie just like a Mario game, he saves the princess, but studios need to gesture at some sort of novelty instead of Disney's paint by numbers. I like three minute pop song covers and Tex Avery reruns but I'm not paying for an entire cover movie.

He didn't save the princess, he saved Luigi, it's like you didn't even watch the children's movie

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Wouldn't this just mean that some marketing person at disney removed him from the posters for the Chinese release

yeah but see here's some random dick saying something racist on weibo, this means china hates black people

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ardennes posted:

Oswald the rabbit is public domain, you could print him on a t-shirt and sell it.

hell yeah

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

He didn't save the princess, he saved Luigi, it's like you didn't even watch the children's movie

there's no saving luigi, he is permanently condemned to player 2 purgatory

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Now that's bait

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MuffinsAndPie posted:

They always present it as, The Chinese made us do this because of their racism

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

. Also, people forget that there are plenty of Disney animated works that were bombs that no one cares about (the Black Cauldron etc).

Which is a shame because The Black Cauldron rules

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/TheresaAFallon/status/1666349680245219331

America: a serious country

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Blinken visiting China is just pretending to be busy so Biden won't fire his rear end come 2nd term. He will absolutely not reach any agreement.

I also heard between him and Sullivan, he is the Hawk, so Beijing intentionally talked to Sullivan first and pushed meeting with him to last.

BTW there is news that CIA head visited Beijing in May, and the news item didn't anything else on the meeting subject,

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Jun 8, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s not abnormal to remake popular stories / musicals.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
look, its very normal everyone should have a geopolitical discussion in good faith with the guy that totally didn't bombed their best friend pipeline

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MuffinsAndPie posted:

it's not even true:

crepeface posted:

in dune they recycle body water into drinkable water, in the marketing they recycle the previous hatemongering. makes u think

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/958645420992872448?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

remember the 3-4 unidentified objects they shot down within a week later, including one that turned out to be some high school class's experiment? and Canada doing that poo poo too after getting special permission from daddy. lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

90s Solo Cup posted:

A lot of you goons are gonna be disappointed as gently caress as time goes on. All Great Powers are Bastards.

:eng101: all previous 'great powers' were of the warring occident nations or who had learnt their savage ways. only an aberration in history. civilizations before the undeserved elevation of europa strived for peaceful relations as that was the most mutually beneficial arrangement.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

90s Solo Cup posted:

A lot of you goons are gonna be disappointed as gently caress as time goes on. All Great Powers are Bastards.

im not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasnt it just a weather balloon. Why would they need a spy balloon. They have spy satellites.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

euphronius posted:

Wasnt it just a weather balloon. Why would they need a spy balloon. They have spy satellites.

can you stop using logic for a second here

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

euphronius posted:

the fbi said they found evidence of spy equipment in the wreckage, which they will show the public any day now

any day now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

3 posted:

the fbi said they found evidence of spy equipment in the wreckage, which they will show the public any day now

any day now

evidence is tiny white baby incubators in a vial

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The "spy balloon" was a bioengineered PLA supersoldier capable of flight via extreme body inflation and the US govt has no idea how to break this news to the public

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
evidence was a couple remote control 90Ds with fisheye lens to capture weather probably lmao

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

3 posted:

any day now

it had equipment for spying on the weather

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
following the media at the time it went from:
  1. weather balloon; to
  2. weather surveillance balloon; to
  3. surveillance balloon; to
  4. spy balloon
incredible how china mastered copied the morphing power of Transformium from the Autobots

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol what a load

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

MuffinsAndPie posted:

the poster in question was scene in neoliberal darling Hong Kong. And it also appeared in the west. Just like the black panther poster where he had his mask on, there were various designs used.

Rather than investigating, people just projected their own racism on the other 'its cute and sad, they are racist like us but we know to hide it'.

exactly the same as calling the police action in xinjiang a 'muslim genocide' - projection

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

edit: people desperately want it to be true that chinese are worthy of the contempt they already have for them

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jun 8, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1666883400458699014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nothing bad happen, because they deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
there’s plenty of people in china who are racist in the sense that they think of various aspects of the world through the conceptual lenses of race, descent, group advancement, etc., and also plenty of people who are anti-black, in the sense that they consume, uncritically repeat, and internalize anti-black messages from media depicting black people made in other countries. there’s no one who is like a white american racist, who needs to take a hard look at the way they are living and unlearn their anti-blackness before they can even understand their own place in their society structured around a linear racial hierarchy and by a history of oppression and dispossession, because that part doesn’t exist over there. it’s just people picking up bad ideas about faraway affairs from the internet, not the ideological self defense of a sick society of internal predation