Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll do
Lego city undercover
Pikmin 3
Animal crossing
That gives a few options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
One thing about Tears that has been a bit disappointing is the shrines seem an order of magnitude easier than BotW with one or two notable exceptions, but maybe that's just experience and being more savvy with what the game is looking for. Plus, that's really the only downgrade so it's a pretty acceptable trade imo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re easier to break for sure

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

hatty posted:

They’re easier to break for sure

That’s been my takeaway, powers are so much more flexible it’s more a surprise when you can’t do things the “wrong” way.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That is true, I can think of 3 or 4 (especially Forward Force which was like the first or second one I encountered on landing in Hyrule) where I immediately said "That's definitely not how I was supposed to do that. Oh well."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Manoueverable posted:

One thing about Tears that has been a bit disappointing is the shrines seem an order of magnitude easier than BotW with one or two notable exceptions, but maybe that's just experience and being more savvy with what the game is looking for. Plus, that's really the only downgrade so it's a pretty acceptable trade imo.

It's intentional, they're supposed to be shorter to dip into as far as I know

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Super-NintendoUser posted:

So a friend wants to get my son a new Switch game since he was hit by a car. I'm thinking Lego City Undercover? They asked what he wants, but I don't want to request a super expensive game.

Used copy of Streets of Rage 4

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Because you have so many tools in TotK, it's easier to approach a shrine "the wrong way" as compared to BotW.

To counteract this, they almost all follow a formula that, once you realize what it is, makes them all trivial. There's less discovery because the developers outright tell you how they intended for you to solve the shrine, though you can of course do it other ways.

At the beginning of each shrine you do some minor mechanic exactly once to progress. It's the only way to get past the first checkpoint. To solve the rest of the shrine, just do that again.

While technically the mechanics of each shrine is different, they've all felt pretty samey in terms of how I engage with them.

It's kinda like the Scribblenauts problem. You can write almost any noun you can think of and that object will appear and behave as you'd expect it to. It's a technological marvel (especially as a DS game). And then you end up solving almost every puzzle with Black Hole.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I think that's just basic game design op, introducing a concept and iterating on it vs randomly throwing stuff into a sequence. Modern Mario games definitely follow this philosophy very closely

Well not the black hole part but that should probably be in more games

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 8, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TotK shrine puzzles feel more like they exist to give you more ideas of how to use your powers & zonai devices, then to exist as pure challenges.

In some cases you'll come out of a shrine and there's something you can apply that knowledge to right away.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The shrines are there to teach you how to interact with the world. Same with the backpack koroks, there's always parts nearby to build with and it teaches you different ways to use objects. If you're more creative this stuff seems rote but there's lots of uncreative people who would see four wheels and plank and not think to make a cart.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like there's a few koroks Ive found nothing nearby for.

But sometimes those Koroks are at the top of a hill, and the destination is at the bottom of the hill....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

But sometimes those Koroks are at the top of a hill, and the destination is at the bottom of the hill....

https://i.imgur.com/VkmsV1Z.mp4

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Hello friends, has anyone played A Space for the Unbound (on Switch or otherwise)? I'm a couple of hours away from pulling the trigger on it, but was curious to hear thoughts!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Read After Burning posted:

Hello friends, has anyone played A Space for the Unbound (on Switch or otherwise)? I'm a couple of hours away from pulling the trigger on it, but was curious to hear thoughts!

I tried the demo, and found it a bit simple/meandering, with the author's voice a bit too visible through all the characters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

don’t bother. sprite work is lovely but it’s way more simplistic than it looks for both writing and gameplay

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

That's a good idea, but all he wants is TOTk, which he already has.

Does he have an online account? Maybe he never played the older Zelda games and would want to try them on the N64/SNES/NES apps?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a 7th full heart somewhere? I read online that you can max stam and get 38 hearts. By my math:

152 shrines: 38 upgrades. You start with 3 hearts and get 6 along the way. So that is 9. Meaning you need 29 more uprgrades to get to 38. But stam requires 10 which leaves one.

I couldn't find an answer on google.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Popoto posted:

I tried the demo, and found it a bit simple/meandering, with the author's voice a bit too visible through all the characters.

Oxxidation posted:

don’t bother. sprite work is lovely but it’s way more simplistic than it looks for both writing and gameplay

:hai: Thank you! I'm trying to be more selective with my game purchases for the next little while. I may grab Decarnation instead, it's been a while since I've played a new full-on horror game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a 7th full heart somewhere? I read online that you can max stam and get 38 hearts. By my math:

152 shrines: 38 upgrades. You start with 3 hearts and get 6 along the way. So that is 9. Meaning you need 29 more uprgrades to get to 38. But stam requires 10 which leaves one.

I couldn't find an answer on google.

Did you find the secret on the great plateau?
the one involving the statue that leads you to some stuff in the depths.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxyclean posted:

Ah. I found the statue and meant to come back to it but forgot because, iirc, it didn't create a quest. Thanks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CainFortea posted:

I just tried that for 2 shrines i'm looking for and not even a blip.

Well, sometimes the shrine is hidden behind a quest, and sometimes the cave entrance is quite a distance from the shrine itself, like the big minecart rollercoaster. It just happened to cover all the shrines I hadn't found in my original exploration.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of extra hearts, anyone else think you should have got one for restoring the fishing village? That would have fit with some of the previous Zeldas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/crkdgg/status/1666868542333911057?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Not gonna lie; I'd never buy one, but that's pretty neat.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Oxyclean posted:

I have found the BotW Temple of Time goddess, and the Great Mine god, and the both mention being trapped behind the stone gate under water on the Great Plateau. I found a stone gate north of the Temple, at wall near the roads below, and blew up the rocks to drain a pool, but no luck beyond that. What's the solution?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Manoueverable posted:

I actually kind of like that about them. They're easier in the sense that they're (generally) much shorter and also much easier to do in goofy ways

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

WarpDogs posted:

I actually kind of like that about them. They're easier in the sense that they're (generally) much shorter and also much easier to do in goofy ways

If you see a target, just bomb arrow it and move on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m an honorable player so I like to solve each shrine on its own terms

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

I have found the BotW Temple of Time goddess, and the Great Mine god, and the both mention being trapped behind the stone gate under water on the Great Plateau. I found a stone gate north of the Temple, at wall near the roads below, and blew up the rocks to drain a pool, but no luck beyond that. What's the solution?

That is the solution, you just need to find what was at the bottom of the pool you drained.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

WarpDogs posted:

The coolest shrines I've found are always the ones that seem to be one-room affairs don't give me a Jenga puzzle and only have me do it the once you jerks :mad:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, is Lego 2k Drive worth a drat? Because it looks incredible.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Manoueverable posted:

The coolest shrines I've found are always the ones that seem to be one-room affairs don't give me a Jenga puzzle and only have me do it the once you jerks :mad:

Hah, that one in particular I completely bypassed and I am not sorry. I knocked the ball over, Recalled it back to the top, then grabbed it with Ultrahand when it fell back down. Intended solution, what's that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Silver Falcon posted:

Hah, that one in particular I completely bypassed and I am not sorry. I knocked the ball over, Recalled it back to the top, then grabbed it with Ultrahand when it fell back down. Intended solution, what's that?

in that one I used ultrahand to fuse most of them all together and just brought the whole tower over.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I was expecting this to me more expensive, for that price I had to preorder to give them a shot. It doesn’t mentioned gyro on the site but I checked the companies Twitter and when asked about it, they did say that it had built in gyro. I’ve been on a quest to find a decent set of joycons since I bought the original Switch and even though I have purchased an embarrassing amount of third party ones, so far none of them have felt right. The best I’ve found are the mobapad or my dpad modded original joycons with a satisfye grip.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Silver Falcon posted:

I mean, the intended solution wasn't terribly difficult anyway so it's a bummer either way.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

in that one I used ultrahand to fuse most of them all together and just brought the whole tower over.

God this game owns

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Manoueverable posted:

I mean, the intended solution wasn't terribly difficult anyway so it's a bummer either way.

You say that but I bashed my face against that thing for like half an hour before I went "gently caress it, we're breaking it!"

Frankly the shrines being easier overall is great for a dumb idiot baby like me who's bad at puzzles...

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Silver Falcon posted:

You say that but I bashed my face against that thing for like half an hour before I went "gently caress it, we're breaking it!"

Frankly the shrines being easier overall is great for a dumb idiot baby like me who's bad at puzzles...

I mean, if you're curious about the intended solution, you may have noticed the bars are metal. There's an electric current to the right and you only need two pieces to reach the other terminal, which activates a moving platform to ultrahand the ball off the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s not just a switch grip it’s some kind of wacky pseudo-NFT collectible