Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

The account quoted is something else.

https://twitter.com/wuwei113/status/1666572417672572928?s=46&t=X1cTYfcHZxBSw77YEynx2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to copy SA's model yet tbh. not that it's a model for success but like - it's not that different from what people are used to in Freemium games now lol

But why stop there when you can jump right to a subscription model, I guess

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to copy SA's model yet tbh. not that it's a model for success but like - it's not that different from what people are used to in Freemium games now lol

But why stop there when you can jump right to a subscription model, I guess

Yeah one payment is less money than a payment every month. Think about all the money Jeff could make from people who forget they had the premium posting subscription

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spaced God posted:

Lmao I didn't even get to "81 is a historically gay number"

thats right

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

She's right

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I can't think of anything more principled or honorable than seeing a pyroclastic flow headed your way and deciding, yeah I can probably work one last J/O sesh in

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bad idea putting perverts in a place where they can jack off in full view of all of humanity for 2/3 of every month

edit: ya I cannot tell if that account is doing a bit or not

text editor has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Jun 8, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Im pretty sure that one is a parody account

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pompeii is really grim.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its possible that guy had an asphyxiation thing I guess.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hell yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
absolutely shocking headline

article here https://www.wired.com/story/a-leaked-tesla-report-shows-the-cybertruck-had-basic-design-flaws, i haven't read it yet

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

that he and the truck are both lovely, failed alphas goes a long way to explaining why Musk loves it so drat much

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

lol leaks

remember when musk said it could "briefly" act as a boat

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mad.radhu posted:

lol leaks

remember when musk said it could "briefly" act as a boat

Submarines are a type of boat

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

euphronius posted:

Its possible that guy had an asphyxiation thing I guess.

i hope the world doesn’t end suddenly in a way that preserves my pose while I’m refilling my crystal

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

you and who

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

dont tell them that

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
xpost from yospos because that thing is pretty long, but worth a read for the lols

quote:

The report, dated January 25, 2022, which WIRED has examined, shows that the preproduction “alpha” version of the Cybertruck was still struggling with some basic problems with its suspension, body sealing, noise levels, handling. and braking.

“Been driving latest Cybertruck prototype around Giga, Texas,” Musk tweeted on January 26, 2022. “It’s awesome!”

The internal dynamics and NVH—noise, vibration and harshness—report leaked to Handelsblatt contains test results measuring the performance of the alpha version of the Cybertruck against projections made using computer-aided design (CAD) simulations, and against internal benchmarks. In summary, it presents a picture of a prototype vehicle that’s leaky, noisy, and has poor handling and braking.

The report says that the alpha version of the Cybertruck had to be hand-sealed, but that “there are a number of areas that we do not have a clear path to sealing” in a production version of the vehicle. This is an issue not just for keeping the weather out, but for noise in the cabin. Data in the report shows that the alpha version was significantly noisier than engineers had projected based on their designs, and that testers had identified 21 potential noise leaks in the body of the vehicle.

Tesla cars have a history of leaking, and the report hints that the Cybertruck’s unusual design may have complicated engineers’ attempts to properly seal it. “​​Body manufacturing and paint shop processes have struggled to seal bodies for optimal NVH performance in the past, and the Cybertruck design presents new challenges,” the report says.

Handling was also a concern for the alpha Cybertruck. The report noted a number of issues, including “excessive mid-speed abruptness and chop,” “high head-toss accelerations,” and “structural shake.” It said that the truck experienced “excessive lateral jerk during low-speed maneuvering” and that it needed to address problems with steering refinement and body roll. The EV’s strafe mode, a feature that allows the wheels to turn to allow the car to “crab walk” sideways had “only basic functionality.”

Braking performance was one of the worst areas of the report. Tesla’s engineers were aiming for a score of 7, or “fair,” on the Society of Automotive Engineers rating scale, but the alpha version achieved only a 4, or “poor” rating. According to the report, in January 2022, the Cybertruck’s brake pedal pressure pad was still under design, and so the alpha experienced “excessive pedal travel and inconsistent stop,” and “excessive pitch during friction braking,” braking during turning issues, as well as power braking instability.

The report lists problems against potential solutions, some of which are illuminating. The front of the vehicle had some issues where there was “no solution without modifying suspension design.” Against the problem of “too high camber gain,” resulting in, among other things, tire wear and alignment change with ride height, the entry on the solutions column bluntly states “possibly none.”

Torsional stiffness is the ability of a car’s body to withstand twisting. When turning, if the torsional stiffness is too small, the body will fail. Too large, and it will be difficult to turn and tend to understeer. The alpha truck’s performance was significantly off target, which might be concerning for Tesla, according to Palmer. “What's surprising about that is it's really hard to fix. It's fundamental. In your development, you can simulate it fairly accurately. So I’m surprised it's so far off,” he says. “It's a biggie, too, because fixing it adds weight and compromises the design of the vehicle.”

The unique styling of the truck, with its angular plates and stainless steel alloy construction, mean it’s not only hard to manufacture, but will probably be hard to repair, experts say.

Stainless steel is not easy to shape or mold, “Hence the look as if it's the output of a student in an in-class ‘Pop Quiz Number 1’ for the course ‘Intro to Car Design,’” says Raj Rajkumar, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. The material requires specialized welding techniques, and it doesn’t flex easily, which could be dangerous in a crash, when force usually absorbed by a “crumple zone” could be transferred to cabin occupants instead, Rajkumar says.

Experts have noted that the odd shape of the vehicle, and particularly its sharp edges, will make it hard for the Cybertruck to meet pedestrian protection rules in Europe, and possibly in other markets. “These long, unbroken sheets of metal, with the sharp lines and a humongous windshield, make me think there’s going to be some real issues with potentially passing safety regulations, especially outside the US,” Gartner’s Ramsey says.

there's much more in the article

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

If you play your cards right

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quote:

performance was significantly off target, which might be concerning

concerning

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Elias_Maluco posted:

everyone wants to be Don Hughes

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

lol @ not kissing before getting married

Just for girls though. So I guess boys will just have to kiss each other before then :biglips:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

xpost from yospos because that thing is pretty long, but worth a read for the lols

there's much more in the article

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

cool car

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more cars should have one wheel in the back

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sir Tonk posted:

lol @ not kissing before getting married

lol @ "Hellenist's" notion that girls should be educated :agesilaus:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry but what the gently caress, why can the cybertruck "crabwalk," what would the purpose of that feature even be

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm sorry but what the gently caress, why can the cybertruck "crabwalk," what would the purpose of that feature even be

mad?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Old James posted:

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law had their first kiss on their wedding day…

I met them a few years later. They come across as a normal couple.

I know that marrying your sibling is normal to some, but come on.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

parallel parking a boat is difficult otherwise I imagine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well, it can't

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

I'm loving furious, nobody told me carcinisation included vehicles

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
when the cameras detect a stainless steel ball being lobbed at cybertruk's indestructible windows, it deftly crabwalks so the ball strikes at an angle and the windows don't shatter

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It will also cook your bacon. Epic.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kinda owns we've turned cars into duke nukem forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Parallel parking? Or maybe just finishing off the child that managed to leap out of way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_wheel_(Brooks_Walker)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QilY00dCof8

Nenonen has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jun 8, 2023