Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Question IRL posted:

I had a thought this week.

DC's direct to video animated wing has been going for over 25 years at this point. Over that time they have adapted a range of DC story lines from The New Frontier, Hush, the Dark Knight Returns to the Death of Superman (Twice.)

But in all that time, they never adapted Kingdom Come. Honestly I'm shocked that they still haven't tried an adaption since it seems like it would work perfectly.

What sparked this was I wanted to go onto YouTube and see an animated version of the ending where Superman is in the UN and has to be talked down by Norman McCay, only to remember that no such thing actually exists.

Honestly Kingdom Come is one where they probably would need to make a ton of changes to make it work in an animated format(for one thing there's no real way to replicate Alex Ross's style in an animated work so they would need to use a different aesthetic for it), including a heavy rework of the end portion of the book*, so it could be done but I imagine it'll make a lot of people unhappy even though it would likely come out pretty decently

*I say this as someone who really loves the comic overall but the whole end message of "humanity and meta humans must learn to work together" doesn't really loving work if it required the former committing genocide on the latter for it to happen and getting away with it completely(not to mention it makes Captain Marvel's sacrifice kind of pointless since it didn't actually have any actual effect on who survived in the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Kingdom Come is one where they probably would need to make a ton of changes to make it work in an animated format(for one thing there's no real way to replicate Alex Ross's style in an animated work so they would need to use a different aesthetic for it), including a heavy rework of the end portion of the book*, so it could be done but I imagine it'll make a lot of people unhappy even though it would likely come out pretty decently

*I say this as someone who really loves the comic overall but the whole end message of "humanity and meta humans must learn to work together" doesn't really loving work if it required the former committing genocide on the latter for it to happen and getting away with it completely(not to mention it makes Captain Marvel's sacrifice kind of pointless since it didn't actually have any actual effect on who survived in the end)

It's not the same but the style from League of Legends - Arcane would really lend itself to a Kingdom Come adaptation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

They wouldn't even try to replicate the Alex Ross art. Look at Killing Joke and Long Halloween, two books that would have been much easier to translate the art style, and they look terrible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey I hear they can use this "AI Art" thing to :suicide:

But seriously they would need a Spiderverse-style pipeline to make it faithful to Ross

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
moon girl is really fuckin good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Apocalypse has all the best lines, just like Kingpin had all the best lines. Both shows were fantastic at casting and writing villains,

For Evolution, they really should have kept Apocalypse with the ethereal pharaoh look who also didn't speak.

This reminds me of the great Kingpin line where for some reason he helps Spider-Man and is fighting Scorpion, and tears his tail right off and yeets the dude out a window, then goes "A pity. I broke him".

Right up there with "The checks in the mail, baby!" as lines from that show burned into my memory.

Also unsolicited, but my thought is if you want to do Kingdom Come, make the flashbacks to the olden times before everything goes shithouse look like the animation/style of New Frontier, then have current day stuff look more modern

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 9, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This reminds me of the great Kingpin line where for some reason he helps Spider-Man and is fighting Scorpion, and tears his tail right off and yeets the dude out a window, then goes "A pity. I broke him".

Ah, here were are, at 52:08.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3he8uNmQo&t=3128s
...apparently "playback on other websites has been disabled", but just follow the link.

Sidenote: I love how at around 55:00, Spidey's shackled to a typical metal dentist torture bed, but the Kingpin has been courteous enough to put a pillow under his head.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Suleman posted:

...apparently "playback on other websites has been disabled", but just follow the link.

This is great. Thanks for finding it.

TAS Kingpin is just as amazing as TAS Apocalypse and I 'm glad some other people still remember this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

NikkolasKing posted:

This is great. Thanks for finding it.

TAS Kingpin is just as amazing as TAS Apocalypse and I 'm glad some other people still remember this.

Black cat: can it, Kingpin. Next I'll do a job on you
Kingpin: *opens his mouth just as she kicks the robot head away* Aw gently caress, i had THE PERFECT response, goddammit.
Smythe: i'd love to hear it
Kingpin: no, no, the moment has passed

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Suleman posted:

Sidenote: I love how at around 55:00, Spidey's shackled to a typical metal dentist torture bed, but the Kingpin has been courteous enough to put a pillow under his head.

This is playing at like 1.25x speed and I think this is the ideal way to watch Spider-man: TAS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think it's just interpolated, the actual speed seems normal for spiderman tas

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lot of good posts about a Kingdom Come animated feature.

What I think is interesting is how everyone focuses on how to best adapt the Alex Ross type art. Now undoubtedly it is one of the biggest features of the story, but I think it overlooks the excellent dialogue from Mark Waid and the overall plot.

Is it just that the bare bones of the story, while if not completely revolutionary at the time certainly very well made, is now passe after things like Injustice?

Has it become a thing like the film adaption of John Carter, where the time to adapt it has long since passed?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don’t really think it’s past its time yet. It isn’t like the story is more “morally dark/gray Superman” schlock.

Superhero civil war sounds like it could incorporate a lot of current issues, particularly when it revolves around a generational gap. (I don’t think Marvel’s civil war is comparable.) It would just have to step back a bit from the “rampaging teen gangster” vibe.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 11, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The quick fix is to make the NuGen heroes a bit more like The Just of Multiversity. Don't have them be out of control teen gangs but more narcissistic and social-media driven. Magog's murder of the Joker gets caught by a citizen bystander and it becomes a viral hit and now all these upstarts want their own Magog Moment, so they engineer disasters or fake quarrels.

I stand by the idea that a decently ambitious render pipeline could make it happen. Especially now that the TMNT Mutant Mayhem trailer dropped. Would give the artists the chance to incorporate different styles since Spectre guides that dude on a timetrip anyway.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the problem with adapting Kingdom Come is that it's just too long and you'd have to either do multiple movies/a much longer movie to make it work (WB probably would never have done this before the regime change, modern day WBD/Zaslav would laugh you out of the room for suggesting it) or start playing real fast and loose with the story to fit it in one movie, which wouldn't please anybody who wanted to see it adapted in the first place.

Semi-related: I recently watched the Injustice movie and while they do take a lot of good stuff from the comics they start changing a lot of plot elements, particularly in the latter half, to make it work, leading to a rushed as hell finale. (Final review, I wouldn't call it outright bad, but I definitely regret watching it instead of doing literally anything else with that precious time I'll never get back.)

e: VVV you're right I totally forgot about those. Oh well I maintain my assertion that modern WBD definitely wouldn't go for that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Their Hush, Long Halloween and Dark Knight Returns adaptations are all two parters, so I think they'll probably just do that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t really think it’s past its time yet. It isn’t like the story is more “morally dark/gray Superman” schlock.

Superhero civil war sounds like it could incorporate a lot of current issues, particularly when it revolves around a generational gap. (I don’t think Marvel’s civil war is comparable.) It would just have to step back a bit from the “rampaging teen gangster” vibe.

And what I talked about before about the story having a "two cultures must learn to get together" moral/theme but only accomplishes it after one side genocides the other and gets away scott free

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1634643784557551616

Here's hopin.'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only James Gunn can direct a scene where several buxom young women dress as deer and pantomime being baked in a giant pie after being put in hogties.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A Wonder Woman animated series could be great, but also seems extremely unlikely to come out of WB/D with current management.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've rewatched a little of Static Shock lately. It definitely holds up. It was at its most interesting when it tried to address real, ground-level issues, which is also why I didn't like the later show much. Also Static's costume changing so he no longer wears a bra on his head. Richie getting superpowers was dumb, but also there were just a lot of plots disconnected from any kind of relatable real-world perspective. Especially when he hung out with the the rest of the animated DC superheroes at a time when they were really far from any ground-level issues.

The DCAU crossovers also sucked because for some reason the show used really bad synth remixes of the themes from their shows, while Static Shock usually put a lot of some kind of work into its soundtrack. Not really to my tastes, but you can tell that a lot of work went in. Maybe there's some kind of licensing actual pop songs in there, I wouldn't know. The later show definitely threw in a bunch of pop culture guest stars. The best was probably Coolio being put in as a character instead of showing up as a celebrity.

It's weird how the first episode centers around some guys trying to pull Virgil into a gang, but none of those characters ever show up again. I guess they were some of the ones who just loving died from their mutations. I like how after Hotstreak is kinda set up to be like a rival to Static, knowing him in school, being in the opening, and having similar elemental powers, but then he's just kind of a loser for the entire rest of the show. Never a major threat.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Teaser for "My Adventures with Superman"

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1643993155480571904

It's not much, but it's nice to finally see the show in motion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
too much Superman not enough lois

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

site posted:

too much Superman not enough lois

I like her big jacket.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Same.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tomboy Lois Summer is coming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1646198235093139457?t=PWWp-yb1q2jIx2NDuVTxjA&s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't DC's Frankenstein like Great Value Hellboy basically? LIke, Harbour already did this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like in the comments somebody asking "What makes them different from Suicide Squad" and Gunn replying "They are monsters."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah the creature commandos, everyones favorite high concept that i dont think have ever actually been in a good story

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new Superman cartoon starts next month:

https://twitter.com/DCOfficial/status/1665735557874417666?cxt=HHwWhIC8jcPq8J0uAAAA

And here’s a longer trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nI9uUv6AdoY

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Clark is a bit awkward even in Superman mode and Lois and Jimmy seem fun as well (in the case of the former I believe this is the actress’ first voice role)

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
So it's been a while since I saw any DC animated movies, largely because the last few I saw were poo poo and completely forgettable (except Batman Ninja, which rules). Which ones from the last 5-6 years or so are actually genuinely good and worth watching?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamont posted:

So it's been a while since I saw any DC animated movies, largely because the last few I saw were poo poo and completely forgettable (except Batman Ninja, which rules). Which ones from the last 5-6 years or so are actually genuinely good and worth watching?

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five was fun. Produced by Bruce Timm with a heavy focus on Jessica Cruz Green Lantern which was nice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Scooby-Doo and Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Scooby Doo's the dtv series I went through the effort on following. I guess Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo is also technically part of the DCAU, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Batman Vs TMNT was pretty fun too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll second Batman vs TMNT, I didn't hate Battle of the Super Sons, House of Mystery was okay I think.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Batman Ninja was a wild ride. Not good .. but I thought it was fun!
I'm also a fan of super sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1668750112695152640
The opening for My Adventures with Superman.