Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Speaking of reporting - is there any < non-crypto / non-darkweb tor > tool to conduct relatively anonymous online purchases?

I was thinking something like those prepaid credit cards / visa gift cards, but the customer reviews for those are brutal. Seems like a downright scam where you can’t get money off of them.

I’m thinking of like, okay so the person wants to buy something online they have an email for confirmation and there’s a P.O. Box for shipping… then a hypothetical card wouldn’t need a full name at checkout - right?

Privacy.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TraderStav posted:

Privacy.com

Seemed sketchy, but if it has the goon seal of approval I’ll research and recommend it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seemed sketchy, but if it has the goon seal of approval I’ll research and recommend it.

So is what you're trying to do?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

So is what you're trying to do?

Something something use case for bitcoin.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I've used a lot of those prepaid visas, and haven't had a bad experience... beyond having to pay the surcharge. I always figured most of the people who had issues with them didn't realize you need to actually get them activated. Not just run out of the store with a handful.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Baddog posted:

I've used a lot of those prepaid visas, and haven't had a bad experience... beyond having to pay the surcharge. I always figured most of the people who had issues with them didn't realize you need to actually get them activated. Not just run out of the store with a handful.

But I paid an emergency IRS bill with a handful of those and it seemed to work fine...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

But I paid an emergency IRS bill with a handful of those and it seemed to work fine...

Why back in my day you could pay those with greendot moneypak's. Way better.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

good example of shareholder activism:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/04/when-a-plan-comes-together-inside-a-massive-eve-online-corporate-heist/

excerpt:

quote:

When that request “was greeted by silence," Dave said he and some friends in a new corporation started “a discussion… about how to get these assets back. One of our new friends suggested [corporate] shares… so we began to investigate how."

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I have a potential job in a place that buys precious metals from people. I'm getting vibes that this is a scummy industry but don't really know enough about it to confidently conclude that. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh they're all sketchy as hell. It's all about how far below par they can pay for the metal while people are selling their grandparents jewelry. Or stolen jewelry.

What is your position?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Oh they're all sketchy as hell. It's all about how far below par they can pay for the metal while people are selling their grandparents jewelry. Or stolen jewelry.

What is your position?

Graphic designer. The guy also called me saturday morning (he mentioned he was working over the weekend) to ask me questions about my work, if I was committed to the growth of the company, etc. which sounds like a perfect setup for a lovely employer. So I was already iffy about that but wanted to see if the industry itself was crappy enough to push me into not doing it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jabberlock posted:

Graphic designer. The guy also called me saturday morning (he mentioned he was working over the weekend) to ask me questions about my work, if I was committed to the growth of the company, etc. which sounds like a perfect setup for a lovely employer. So I was already iffy about that but wanted to see if the industry itself was crappy enough to push me into not doing it.

Get paid in advance, don't send unwatermarked proofs or finals until you are paid in full. 50% retainer to start work, stop work immediately if progress payments aren't made. Put all of that in your contract.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I just realized I forgot to claim my Ev credit from my purchase last year. Am I going to be able to amend it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im at a point in my life now where I’m not living paycheck to paycheck. In fact I can likely survive about 9 months if my income magically stopped coming in today :toot:

That brings up a few new obstacles I’ve never run into before, and that’s a savings account. I never bothered making a savings account because the APR/Y(?) was always so pitiful that earning an extra $2 a year didn’t seem worth the headache of having two accounts and having to do transfers. Then I recently heard about how Apple created a high yield savings option where you can earn 4.15% a year. It seems like a great way to make all this money that’s doing nothing actually grow somewhat. Had I known high yield savings accounts like these existed, I could have made a decent amount of money with almost 0 effort.

So two questions, maybe 3:

1) After some googling, it looks like there’s other providers/vendors/banks about there that provide even higher savings APR than Apple. Does the thread have any favorites? Ideally I want one that I can use that also lets me transfer back to my checking rather quickly if I need it (say, some catastrophic emergency comes up)

2) How much money should I have in my checking account? If I want to maximize how much money I have in savings so the interest grows, I should have some minimum (but sane amount) of cash in my checking right?

3) Are there any better options than a high yield savings account for my current scenario? Part of all this comes from a planned used car purchase in either 2024 or 2025, and I realize if I leave that money alone for 1-2 years, I actually get quite a bit more than leaving it in my checking with everything else.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'll answer #1 by saying I use Sofi for savings/checking and the savings account rate is currently 4.20%. I think the checking account rate is like 1.x% but transferring between the two is instant so it is super easy to earn that full APY. Their website interface is fine, not the best and not the worst. I have no complaints really. If you have direct deposit you can also get a bonus of up to $250 from them right now: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-checking-5000-direct-deposit-required/

Take a look at the Doctor of Credit site for other bank account bonuses, depending on bonus amount it can more than make up for a slightly lower APY in the short term.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

buglord posted:

3) Are there any better options than a high yield savings account for my current scenario?

If you already have a brokerage account, I'd look at something like SGOV or BIL.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel very dumb asking what a brokerage account is.

Is it like Vanguard? I have a Roth IRA through them and I have some fund that is named corresponding to my retirement year in 35 years.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

buglord posted:

I feel very dumb asking what a brokerage account is.

Is it like Vanguard? I have a Roth IRA through them and I have some fund that is named corresponding to my retirement year in 35 years.

technically your Roth IRA is a brokerage account, but typically the term is short hand for a non-tax advantaged account, which vanguard does offer

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Buying 4-week treasury bills at 5% from TreasuryDirect kinda seems like free money, is there some catch other than the website is annoying to use (and also it's not THAT much free money)?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Buying 4-week treasury bills at 5% from TreasuryDirect kinda seems like free money, is there some catch other than the website is annoying to use (and also it's not THAT much free money)?

You can also just buy them from your brokerage and not have to use the TreasuryDirect website.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I had some on auto roll at Fidelity and the debt ceiling fuckery cancelled it, so I just put my money in SGOV instead

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean it's not free money the government is paying you to rent your money for 4 weeks.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

mrmcd posted:

I mean it's not free money the government is paying you to rent your money for 4 weeks.

I think the point is they're paying quite a lot. 5% guaranteed return in one month? Am I reading this right? That's 80% return in a year, if it were sustained (which I'm sure it won't be).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ralith posted:

I think the point is they're paying quite a lot. 5% guaranteed return in one month? Am I reading this right?

No, you're not reading that right. It's 5% annualized. For one month.

Interest rates are annualized regardless of the duration of the security/instrument.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Motronic posted:

No, you're not reading that right. It's 5% annualized. For one month.

Interest rates are annualized regardless of the duration of the security/instrument.

Ah, good. Still a solid deal!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Does TreasuryDirect charge a premium? Not that it’s relevant to me as a non-US investor; presumably I have no choice but to buy on the secondary market at whatever premium / discount is the going rate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No but you have to put your order in before the auction and must accept whatever the rate ends up being

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Sanity check to be sure I’m good before putting money into a high yield savings here: https://www.marcus.com/

It’s a product by Goldman Sachs, FDIC insured, same day transfers if needed, No maintenance fees that I can identify. Seems like a good place to toss money into long term right?

I guess the reason why I have hesitation is that’s it not some regular brick and mortar bank, then I hear these things about crypto and banks doing shady things (even though this doesn’t seem to delve into that, and I’d never touch crypto “investments” anyway).

Getting a second pair of eyes might help. Thanks goons :shobon:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We use Marcus and it works just fine for us. The interface is pretty clean and easy to use.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What's everyone's hot takes on the Reddit drama from a business strategy, stakeholder perspective.

Personally, having worked for an unprofitable VC funded company that died, I can empathize with making unpopular decisions that are for the good of the product.
Entitled users rioting because their free service is unsustainable and trying to not die now that the free money train has dried up is non-productive. I've read several threads now around the topic on different demographic subreddits and I was disappointed to see effectively zero nuance or alternative solutions offered to achieve sustainability. Instead everything being summed up as "angry angry corporations profits Reddit sucks anyway I'll go use another unsustainable reddit clone instead"
I am regrettably familiar with weird personal crusades entitled and oblivious users take in response to UI changes, or basically anything at all.
  • If unprofitable users who are not watching ads (not that even the ad watching users are profitable) leave - that's also good as far as reddit's finances are concerned.
  • In 2023, the hockey stick growth model where you burn VC money and figure out monetization later strategy doesn't fly any more.
  • Is the pricing high, yes. I can only speculate on the reason this was chosen, but it's fair to say that Reddit knows something we don't as to why the price was chosen. "corporate greed" is a meaningless slogan, not a business justification.
  • Reddit is like every other social media platform where 10% of people are responsible for like 90% of the user generated content. It probably really is in the realm of 1% traffic being 3rd party mobile apps - although perhaps that 1% is disproportionate to the 10% that generates user content. Reddit will have the real numbers and made a judgement call on it though.
  • Random reddit mods trying to hold the 2000 employee 9B valuation company reddit hostage by taking down popular subs are delusional if they think they aren't going to be immediately removed.
  • There is a legitimate argument to be made that maybe some of the 3rd party modding tools are going to be negative affected and the first party ones are unsuitable. There should be a free subset API that does permit modding actions, or working with the authors of known-good 3rd party clients and giving them a free pass. Or just acquire them and integrate the functionality. Reddit Engineering obviously knows about this and are probably working on it - they aren't obligated to be sharing their Jira boards or whatever to the public.
  • Maybe Reddit has made some poor business decisions like overhiring during Covid like everyone else, maybe the business model of running a popular free online service isn't great in the first place, maybe this maybe that. This is likely a course correction now that their runway of VC capital has shortened.

Clearly the business model has changed, 2023 is not 2010. The CEO of reddit keeps the bad decision of trying to engage at all with entitled users of a free internet platform knowing full well what he's doing is unpopular. At least Discord and twitch have the sense to not make stupid public comments on the matter. Imgur has done a good job of censoring the outrage of their unpopular changes on their own platform and not allowing it to get out of control.
Occam's razors is that Reddit genuinely believes the changes are for the good for the sustainability of their business (and maybe get an IPO) and the backlash will be tolerable like every other company that's making unpopular changes right now.
Maybe in hindsight it may have been better to do a boil the frog approach where the API pricing gets ramped up over a year, but maybe that wasn't in the budget or timeline. Definitely shouldn't have engaged with upset users who don't care at all about the financial viability of the product they use, though.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 12, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We use Marcus and it works just fine for us. The interface is pretty clean and easy to use.

Would you be interested in providing me a referral (via PM or something)? Assuming we're both using high yield savings accounts, it looks like we get +1.0% APY bonus for 3 months. https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/high-yield-savings/referral

No worries if you don't feel comfortable doing it. I just wanted to throw that option out there before opening one tonight since waiting 1-2 days isn't going to break me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Oh yeah sure, I’ll PM you

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Methanar posted:

It probably really is in the realm of 1% traffic being 3rd party mobile apps

Lol, lmao.

Reddit's C suite doesn't know you, dude. There's an incredible amount of open bias, odd supposition/assumption, and classic "they must know more than we do" in this very long post that makes it seem as though you asked your opening question looking for nods to your answer, rather a genuine one from anyone else. I don't even know what to engage with here and what to ignore.

So in lieu of unpacking that, I will just say that even with all the information in the world, sometimes businesses just make dumb, short-sighted decisions under pressure. This appears to be one, and based on the quoted line and several others, I think you're missing some of the big picture. Reddit's app is so notoriously annoying that I don't think I have ever met a single person at any point on the Extremely Offline to Goon spectrum that uses the thing. There is a reason the third party app space is so robust and diverse, they're meeting a genuine need for a large contingent of users. :shrug:

And if you delete every grace you've given them based on an assumption that they must have a reason (which is kind of circular imo) the real simplest explanation is that they don't want those alternatives to exist anymore, because that is cheaper than building a better app. And that's dumb, user-unfriendly, and likely to hurt them in the long run. Whether they're doing it because of the possibilities you spitballed or simply because of their looming IPO and dropping valuation is immaterial. If you piss off the overwhelming majority of your userbase, as seems to be the case here, that isn't an "unpopular decision for the good of the product." In many senses those people ARE your real product, and you kind of need them to have a platform. Whether they're reasonable or not, flipping them all the bird and then publicly saying demonstrably false things is not generally a great strat.

It sounds like you went through a truly rough time and I'm genuinely very sorry you had to put up with that crap. Reddit is not your old company, though.

E: oh, and even from a capital-sympathetic perspective, deciding to engage said users at all was not the main thing that went wrong with that AMA, wtf :psyduck:

Edit to the edit: also just noticed who posted this, tip your wait staff

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 12, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wait i thought that was just a huge troll since he also apparently posted in a yospos thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Can someone link the specific reddit action in question?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Strong Sauce posted:

wait i thought that was just a huge troll since he also apparently posted in a yospos thread.

Ah, poo poo, you're right. Sorry for taking the bait. In contrition I offer this confession, which will hopefully get the thread back on track: I ate out today. :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

In many senses those people ARE your real product, and you kind of need them to have a platform.

With the size of the org someone there must know this. It's no big secret that when your primary revenue stream is advertising the advertisers are the customer and the users are the product.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Can someone link the specific reddit action in question?

Thia is the CEO's ama - https://www.reddit.com/r/reddit/comments/145bram/addressing_the_community_about_changes_to_our_api

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Don't click that link today if you might want to oppose their action though lol.

Today is specifically the first of two days of user boycott becuase of them pulling a twitter on their api fees.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/12/1181376050/reddit-communities-go-dark-protest-new-api-developer-fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Unsinkabear posted:

Ah, poo poo, you're right. Sorry for taking the bait. In contrition I offer this confession, which will hopefully get the thread back on track: I ate out today. :ohdear:

It’s okay I would have fallen for it too :shobon: