Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh yeah, bring poles. That was the first hike I started using poles and boy howdy, wouldn't want to do it without them again. Especially the descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah i train without poles, but during the hike i always have at least one of them. can be a total game changer

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Verman posted:

Oh yeah, bring poles. That was the first hike I started using poles and boy howdy, wouldn't want to do it without them again. Especially the descent.

I got a pretty cheap carbon fiber triple fold pair from Paria that I used for the first time earlier this year, was like night and day.

Before fall rolls around I need to remember to return an expensive wool base layer I got from REI that got holes in it after only wearing it two times. Disappointed!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hiking poles are like having 4WD for your feet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or shock absorbers for aging knees.

I generally find poles annoying, it's just more crap to lug, but they definitely help with knee pain on descents.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

I generally find poles annoying, it's just more crap to lug, but they definitely help with knee pain on descents.

yeah, and also for bigger people, its an insurance policy for your ankles. if you are a dude or lady of gravity, knowing you can arrest a rolled ankle is huge. I have lost 40lbs already this year in preparation for banff, but im still big enough that im extra nervous about a wrong step having outsized consequences just due to the physics of having more weight on that leg.

I can think of countless times a foot has landed sideways on a wet rock or something and it starts to twist but being able to put my weight onto the poles saves it from being anything more than a slip.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

withak posted:

Hiking poles are like having 4WD for your feet.

This. It always takes me a minute to fall into a good rhythm with them since I hike so infrequently these days, but when it clicks it's fantastic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Poles are great, especially on a hike with any kind of elevation.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Beezus posted:

This. It always takes me a minute to fall into a good rhythm with them since I hike so infrequently these days, but when it clicks it's fantastic.

Speaking of clicks, I actually love the literal sound of poles clicking along the trail… I kinda fall into a hiking meditation with it and it’s so wonderful.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Any recommendations for hiking shoes for people with stupidly wide (compared to length) feet?
I used to wear merrell moabs pretty much in any season, so something like them would be nice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RickRogers posted:

Any recommendations for hiking shoes for people with stupidly wide (compared to length) feet?
I used to wear merrell moabs pretty much in any season, so something like them would be nice.

I like Meindl's "comfort fit" stuff, which is wider than normal. My feet are only a bit too wide for normal hiking shoes though so YMMV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Altra is well known for having massive foot volume. Their lone peak shoe is quite popular. Just be aware you'll have to be able to tolerate a zero drop sole.

I love the heck out of them for summer hiking.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

distortion park posted:

I like Meindl's "comfort fit" stuff, which is wider than normal. My feet are only a bit too wide for normal hiking shoes though so YMMV.

xzzy posted:

Altra is well known for having massive foot volume. Their lone peak shoe is quite popular. Just be aware you'll have to be able to tolerate a zero drop sole.

I love the heck out of them for summer hiking.

Thanks, these are great looking suggestions!

I think the zero drop is probably ok for me, as I switched to camper shoes with their thinner and wider soles (for my daily drivers) about 3 years ago and I am astonished how good they have been for my feet.

I will research further and get one or the other for my Autumn trek...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We backpacked in some pretty heavy rain Friday night, and I woke up with a sleeping pad with a damp bottom. Is a wet tent floor an equipment failure, a campsite selection failure, or a bit of both?

e to add: our campsite had a minor amount of slope. the wettest in-tent area was also the most uphill part. the tent footprint was quite wet; the bottom of the tent itself somewhat less wet. the tent and footprint are both 7 years old.

Bloody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 11, 2023

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bloody posted:

We backpacked in some pretty heavy rain Friday night, and I woke up with a sleeping pad with a damp bottom. Is a wet tent floor an equipment failure, a campsite selection failure, or a bit of both?

Tent floors should be water proof assuming you have a quality tent but will fail over time. I had to replace a MSR tent a year or 2 ago because of that, no visible damage I think the silicone impregnation just fails.

That said camping in a puddle is likely going to increase the chance of water either leaking through or otherwise getting in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

RickRogers posted:

Also look at topo designs for wide forefoot. They have Altra style shoes but I don't believe they're all zero drop.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been happy with both Altra and Topo Designs for my wide feet. Altra's look a little nicer though imo, and I'm a zero drop nerd now even though I don't really know what it does.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Family Photo posted:

FYI the same pack is currently $49.50 on osprey's website: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/katari-7-KATARI7.html

I ish I would have been more patient and waited a day before I bought mine after seeing this post. $50 and in blue.

Anyway, I've used mine 5 times now since I got it last Tuesday and really enjoying the pack, much better than my old generic one from Amazon. Thank you for the recommendation.

Here's a pic of the pack from a nice 7 miles I did through Coconino National Forest this morning.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Bloody posted:

e to add: our campsite had a minor amount of slope. the wettest in-tent area was also the most uphill part. the tent footprint was quite wet; the bottom of the tent itself somewhat less wet. the tent and footprint are both 7 years old.

I don't think any tent floor is going to be truly waterproof if it's in contact with water for a while. One thing you can do is cut a polythene plastic sheet to fit (+ a few inches on each side) to be a floor inside the tent. Your tent will still get wet but keep your gear dry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Took this muppet on his first car camping trip. We did two nights at a state park, and he did pretty good. Hopefully we can turn him into an adventure dog and go backpacking someday as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Edit: welp, app hiccup

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 15, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A pup so nice he’s posted twice :3:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I hiked out to the Oklahoma state high point yesterday

If you find yourself in the Oklahoma panhandle for some inexplicable reason I recommend heading out to the high point

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oklahoma has some surprisingly pretty spots for a state that everyone talks poo poo about. Relative to the rest of the midwest/west anyways. I really liked the Wichita Mountain wildlife refuge.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love how Midwestern high points don't look high at all but are still higher than our highest mountain (GA)

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The whole country just starts tilting up imperceptibly past the Mississippi.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oklahoma is not the Midwest and I will die on this hill

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The census considers it a southern state, but I don't know. The plains west of the Mississippi are nothing like the eastern states that make up most of the South.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went on a late hike today. Didn't leave the house until 1, got to the trail head around 3.

Watched probably 5 cars fly right by this bear on the side of the road and didn't even notice. I slowed and rolled by just to make sure it didn't decide to jump out.

7 miles, only 1,700' gain. Got up to the top in a little over an hour and back down in about the same. Took zero breaks and stopped at the turnaround for an hour to hang out and look around.

All my phone pics are hosed because last week on my hike I sat down on a rock and broke the glass on my Google phone over my camera lens.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 18, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Is there an easy way to search whether there are any locations not raining within like a 5 hour drive next weekend

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Forecasting with any detail a week out is pretty tough, but any weather site can give you a rough idea. Mountainy areas will be more unpredictable.

I guess my personal approach would be windy.com and scroll around in time on the clouds layer to see where it thinks rain will be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I can't plan on mountain weather with too much predictability but every area is different.

I'm in Seattle so the easiest way for me is to check offshore weather and radar in the days leading up to a trip. Generally if the weather is looking good for the week, it's likely to stay that way for the most part. If it changes, it's not often that it changes without warning. If something is coming, you can see it coming from a ways away. In general our weather is pretty predictably warm/dry during the summer.

If you're looking at somewhere like Colorado in the summer, that might be tough as the weather in that part of the Rockies can get really unpredictable, especially in the afternoon. I've had sun, thunderstorms, hail, and snow showers all in the same day.

Every area is different. Just try your best and plan accordingly in the days leading up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I camped a night up by Cheesman reservoir a couple months back, forecast the night before said cloudy with a chance of showers. Woke up to 8 inches of powder.

(I had all my winter gear in the car, it was a great day)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

COPE 27 posted:

Is there an easy way to search whether there are any locations not raining within like a 5 hour drive next weekend

Move to California. Between May and November there will be zero locations within 5 hours where it will be raining next weekend.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oklahoma is not the Midwest and I will die on this hill

"Great Plains" and "Midwest" are two distinct and non-overlapping categories.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Booked a night to take our 2yo camping for the first time. If it goes bad we're only 45 minutes away from home.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

windy.com has a decent map

Morbus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 19, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Morbus posted:

windy.com has a decent map

that's perfect thanks
the ones on the usual suspects only show current day which is spectacularly not helpful

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

xzzy posted:

Poles completely saved my knees. I just took up hiking a couple years ago during the pandemic and quickly found out doing anything with elevation over 10 miles would completely blow up the outside tendon on my right knee. I broke down and got some poles and now I'll never go without them again.

I don't have much experience with overnights and am doing my second in a couple weeks, and am just wondering what an appropriate amount of water to bring would be. It's a 20 mile loop in an area with oil extraction so there is no filterable water sources and you have to bring it all in. I was planning on 6 liters, 2 for the hike in, 2 for camp, and 2 for the hike out, but I don't know if that is enough or too much. It definitely makes my pack heavy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Poles completely saved my knees. I just took up hiking a couple years ago during the pandemic and quickly found out doing anything with elevation over 10 miles would completely blow up the outside tendon on my right knee. I broke down and got some poles and now I'll never go without them again.

I don't have much experience with overnights and am doing my second in a couple weeks, and am just wondering what an appropriate amount of water to bring would be. It's a 20 mile loop in an area with oil extraction so there is no filterable water sources and you have to bring it all in. I was planning on 6 liters, 2 for the hike in, 2 for camp, and 2 for the hike out, but I don't know if that is enough or too much. It definitely makes my pack heavy as hell.

Thats a bit rough. How intense of a 20 mile loop is this? If its real flat and not sweltering than 6L might be overkill. I normally don't actually use a huge amount of water in camp, but thats assuming a backpacking scenario. I use like 500ml for dinner and maybe the other 500 to drink.

But yeah 6L is probably smart. Would be a lovely day walking thirsty until you got back to the car.