Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Iko Uwais should still be impaling dudes on broken doors instead of hanging out with these Hollywood has-beens.

gently caress it, conjure up a John Wick spinoff with him it. It'd be a cinch since he'd hardly need any dialogue since Wick sure as hell didn't in the last movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

50 Cent didn't put it in all the work* for the three Escape Plan movies to be denied another Stallone flick.

*a minor role that became smaller with each iteration

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Whatever happened to the Expenda-girls spinoff?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

duz posted:

Whatever happened to the Expenda-girls spinoff?

Got dropped last year because they apparently had problems trying to come up with a story to explain why the team would be all women (?!) and instead they're saying they'll just get more women in the main series.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlaBO-SwVE
This seems like it is kind of moving away from the original premise of the series where the draw was older action stars.

I don't remember much about part 3, but I do remember there was explicitly a pass the baton to a younger generation theme. No, it didn't really make much sense.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is the mermaid movie actually bombing outside China?
Looks like it's made $197m domestic / $140m international in two weeks vs a budget of $250m (lol), so I'm gonna go with "no".

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrBling posted:

Got dropped last year because they apparently had problems trying to come up with a story to explain why the team would be all women (?!) and instead they're saying they'll just get more women in the main series.

Wasn’t the story at one time going to be that they all were going undercover as prostitutes to get the bad guy? Or was that some other female action star vehicle that got canned?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lmaooo just don't address it. I don't recall a line from the expendables explaining why they were all men. poo poo, more pertinently, I don't recall a line like that from the Ghostbusters reboot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*bunch of writers in an office late at night, sleeves rolled up, chainsmoking and running hands through their sweaty hair* gently caress! I don't know, something about their periods? This is impossible!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I finally realise why the Sex And The City movies never worked for me - they never explained why they were women

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A female killer squad whose menstrual cycles all sync up kinda sounds like an idea Tarantino would find cool tho

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

a budget of $250m (lol)

How the gently caress is this even possible? The CGI in that movie looks like utter GARBAGE. Is Hollywood just a massive embezzlement scam now? How can more and more money be spent on movies that keep looking worse and worse?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AceOfFlames posted:

Is Hollywood just a massive embezzlement scam now? How can more and more money be spent on movies that keep looking worse and worse?
Now?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Failed Imagineer posted:

A female killer squad whose menstrual cycles all sync up kinda sounds like an idea Tarantino would find cool tho

This is like, a half step away from being a Metal Gear Solid mini boss team

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This isn’t a certainty, but Indy 5 may open lower than Crystal Skull did

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1666841911871586305?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Crystal Skull made $100 million opening weekend

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
1. How do they "track" expected opening weekend revenue?

2. Why is it that the last half-dozen times I've clicked a link to a tweet about a movie's release, the first reply is something to the effect of "Go woke go broke?" I think there must be a type of Twitter poster who reflexively says this about literally every movie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s too bad Shia burned things by crapping on the last movie, Mutt should have been a character they kept around

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The right really wants GWGB to be a thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Professor Shark posted:

It’s too bad Shia burned things by crapping on the last movie, Mutt should have been a character they kept around
No.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

2. Why is it that the last half-dozen times I've clicked a link to a tweet about a movie's release, the first reply is something to the effect of "Go woke go broke?"

Welcome to Elon's brilliant Blue check system

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Halloween Jack posted:

1. How do they "track" expected opening weekend revenue?

2. Why is it that the last half-dozen times I've clicked a link to a tweet about a movie's release, the first reply is something to the effect of "Go woke go broke?" I think there must be a type of Twitter poster who reflexively says this about literally every movie.

If you repeat it for every single thing that comes out and prominently features women or people of color existing and having lines of dialogue, eventually you’ll technically be right about one or two of them for a completely incorrect reason.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The movie is absolutely not going to make its $300m budget back, and I'm not sure how Disney ever expected it would.

I would love to see more well-told stories with that character in that universe that I adore, but I would rather they just let the property die than get a bunch of terrible lowest-common-denominator Content slop until I die. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll stop being precious about the license and we can at least get some decent spinoff media created by people who are passionate about it every once in a while. Does that new video game we haven't heard anything about in like two years have any chance of being good, assuming it comes out?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best thing that’s gonna come out of the new movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn53dcqRP2k

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I would love to see more well-told stories with that character in that universe that I adore, but I would rather they just let the property die than get a bunch of terrible lowest-common-denominator Content slop until I die. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll stop being precious about the license and we can at least get some decent spinoff media created by people who are passionate about it every once in a while. Does that new video game we haven't heard anything about in like two years have any chance of being good, assuming it comes out?

This may not be the case any more (though I suspect it's probably accurate) but the market for Indy spinoffs has always been much lower than Star Wars spinoffs, to the point that when Lucasfilm gave Dark Horse the Star Wars comic license in 1991, one of their conditions was that Dark Horse had to not only take the Indy license also (which they didn't want), but actually put out an Indy comic. I think their Indy line ran for two years and was canceled for low sales, in contrast to the Star Wars line that was one of Dark Horse's consistent moneymakers up until Disney took the license from them.

When Crystal Skull came out Dark Horse put out a really bad and heavily abridged adaptation, plus an original 1930s-set comic that no one read, and that was it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AceOfFlames posted:

How the gently caress is this even possible? The CGI in that movie looks like utter GARBAGE. Is Hollywood just a massive embezzlement scam now? How can more and more money be spent on movies that keep looking worse and worse?

Well I have a theory just based on some observations and conversations with people who did this work:

The VFX industry is horrible to work in now (it was always "bad" but you got paid a lot and could take big chunks of time off occasionally) but now there's garbage pay, unreasonable deadlines, and poo poo working conditions.

So what happens is that these companies can charge a lot and then use their bumper crop of new VFX employees to do the work badly. Then most of their employees quit. Hire new employees, churn 'em and burn 'em because it's a cool job and people want to do it. Disney has nobody else to work with because they dug their own grave with their working conditions and demands - only the desperate or amoral bid for them now. (or if they use a big effect house, the senior employees are not as subject to this treatement)

I know 3 VFX people who have all left the industry in the past 5 years. Two of them were around 20 year vets. All of them are a lot happier and healthier now.

It's why movies from 2013 had better VFX than now. The people doing them were actually better artistically. The computers and tools may have improved but the actual hands guiding them are substantially worse or just not given enough time to excel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh they actually stuck with "Dial of Destiny"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

When Crystal Skull came out Dark Horse put out a really bad and heavily abridged adaptation, plus an original 1930s-set comic that no one read, and that was it.

True it's never been as popular, but I would think it's at least as popular as the Alien universe and that has constant spinoffs—and many of them apparently quite good, like the TTRPG supplements. Hell, even Blade Runner got a new TTRPG, 3 different comics, an anime, and is getting a live-action show all in the past few years. All after a box-office failure of a modern sequel.

As for those comics, Indiana Jones Adventures was really well done and a ton of fun—exactly what a good Indy spinoff should be in my mind, if a bit slight. Sure, the fact that it could only apparently support 2 volumes isn't a great sign, but I also think they were poorly marketed and came out at just the wrong time.

My dream would be to have something like The Batman Animated Series done for Indy, just episodic adventures that took inspiration from 30s adventure fiction and that Fleischer Brothers Superman and such, but I don't think the market would bear that sort of thing these days. Doing an animated series for Disney+ that goes for the same audience as, say, Duck Tales would seem like a better fit in my mind than comics or books or a more serious show or whatnot.

It is pretty perfect for video games. If this giant AAA game doesn't go over well, maybe they'll let someone make a retro point-and-click adventure with it or something.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

The movie is absolutely not going to make its $300m budget back, and I'm not sure how Disney ever expected it would.

It’s being made by Machinegames so, maybe? The first two Wolfensteins they made were good, but The New Colossus definitely showed diminishing returns.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Indiana Jones was already a nostalgia IP for old adventure serials, so it’s not surprising that people aren’t excited about the second order nostalgia from a long-delayed sequel to an ancient franchise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, I am. :shrug:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Raiders is as distant from the 40's pulp serials it was inspired by as we in the present day are from Raiders. We've entered recursive nostalgia territory, where people ape crap from their childhood that was itself aping crap from its creators' childhood, it's like an M C Escher painting

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's already a dedicated Star Wars thread, Asterite

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I have a theory just based on some observations and conversations with people who did this work:

The VFX industry is horrible to work in now (it was always "bad" but you got paid a lot and could take big chunks of time off occasionally) but now there's garbage pay, unreasonable deadlines, and poo poo working conditions.

So what happens is that these companies can charge a lot and then use their bumper crop of new VFX employees to do the work badly. Then most of their employees quit. Hire new employees, churn 'em and burn 'em because it's a cool job and people want to do it. Disney has nobody else to work with because they dug their own grave with their working conditions and demands - only the desperate or amoral bid for them now. (or if they use a big effect house, the senior employees are not as subject to this treatement)

I know 3 VFX people who have all left the industry in the past 5 years. Two of them were around 20 year vets. All of them are a lot happier and healthier now.

It's why movies from 2013 had better VFX than now. The people doing them were actually better artistically. The computers and tools may have improved but the actual hands guiding them are substantially worse or just not given enough time to excel.
Didn't Disney buy ILM along with Lucasfilm? Has that become as a big a churn-and-burn sweatshop as all the other VFX houses?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThpbczVe44

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Asterite34 posted:

Raiders is as distant from the 40's pulp serials it was inspired by as we in the present day are from Raiders. We've entered recursive nostalgia territory, where people ape crap from their childhood that was itself aping crap from its creators' childhood, it's like an M C Escher painting

man who gives a single loving poo poo, I just want to see an actual adventure movie that isn’t just another loving marvel

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This isn’t a certainty, but Indy 5 may open lower than Crystal Skull did

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1666841911871586305?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Crystal Skull made $100 million opening weekend

They really should have just reintroduced Short Round.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Simplex posted:

I don't remember much about part 3, but I do remember there was explicitly a pass the baton to a younger generation theme. No, it didn't really make much sense.

Number 3 was extremely bad. Like, genuinely loving terrible and pleasing no one. Banderas nearly saves bits of it via sheer enthusiasm and Snipes via weirdness, but it's bad. Every element of it is so completely free of style, flair or talented execution. Even the action isn't great. 87 Eleven are doing their best but you kind of get bored around the 80th wave of identical masked dudes in a grey battleground. Cool little bits, like Ronda's fights (which are surprisingly good) and Statham/Snipes knifing dudes, just blend in with whole platoons dropping dead in impressively forgettable ways.

In answer to your question, yes, there was a 'younger generation' and they sucked, their introductions sucked and none of them got to do anything cool. Glen Powell is somehow boring in it. Expendables 3 is impressive for setting a very low bar for itself and still failing to clear it. It's very fitting that it came out the same year as The Raid 2 and the first John Wick.

AceOfFlames posted:

Along those lines, all the Pixar movies have extremely round budgets of 200 million. I have a feeling that a lot of other costs (CGI RnD, for instance) get rolled into those budgets simply because they know they'll make a decent amount of money, with very few exceptions.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is a phenomenon in a lot of industries, it's called 'institutional amnesia.' When a lot of people quit or leave a business or industry in a short space of time (it's hit hospitality over the last couple of years, the Australian public service inflicted it on itself) a lot of knowledge is lost, especially knowledge that is acquired, rather than learned. It would not surprise me that, even outside of the increasingly awful conditions, the new people simply haven't had time to learn their craft and there may be no one to teach them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Indiana Jones should have been the one changing to Brave New World

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a phenomenon in a lot of industries, it's called 'institutional amnesia.' When a lot of people quit or leave a business or industry in a short space of time (it's hit hospitality over the last couple of years, the Australian public service inflicted it on itself) a lot of knowledge is lost, especially knowledge that is acquired, rather than learned. It would not surprise me that, even outside of the increasingly awful conditions, the new people simply haven't had time to learn their craft and there may be no one to teach them.

That's very interesting, thank you for posting! I had seen this first hand when I worked adjacent to the manufacturing industry and watched everything go overseas and all the plant managers get new jobs in different industries and now America has great difficulty making things, but I did not know there was an actual term for that. Should have suspected their was. Anyway, thanks again for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Expendables 3 more or less peaks with the train intro and the whole joke about Snipes' character being in megajail for tax evasion

Then the movie keeps going with mma fighters and who cares about them

I like Expendables 1 and 2 more than I probably should but as a series it's always been less than what it really ought to be