Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Nemo2342 posted:

Saints Row 4 had the best romance options.

"Hey Kinzie, wanna gently caress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I got tired of being called the f-slur by strangers long before there was an internet on which to play games.

Every couple of years, I reinstall noted hat simulator Team Fortress 2 to play a few brainless rounds, figuring I'll play until I hear it again and then uninstall.

I have never lasted longer than two minutes.

I too have been called facetious. I can imagine some of you are thinking of calling me facetious right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PAYDAY 2 is up on EGS

Next week it's both Guacamelee games

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
It's the base version of Payday 2, but there are three free DLC's; soundtrack, Christmas pack and the B-Sides.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

repiv posted:

Next week it's both Guacamelee games

I remember liking the first one (despite all the memes plastered everywhere). Solid metroidvania game with tight controls, I'll be sure to grab the sequel to see if it lives up to the original.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I would have loved Guacamelee if it wasn't so colourblind unfriendly. I got to enemies that are colour coded and couldn't see the coded colours.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The General posted:

I would have loved Guacamelee if it wasn't so colourblind unfriendly. I got to enemies that are colour coded and couldn't see the coded colours.

That's unfortunate. Looked it up and one of the developers for Guacamelee 2 is red/green colorblind so at least they worked on the sequel with those considerations in mind and came up with some solutions, might be worth giving that one a try.

https://twitter.com/DrinkBoxStudios/status/1033342253849354241

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the egs captchas with ai generated images suck

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How many extra fingers on this image?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I had to reboot my router and this captcha was presented to me as I was trying to log back into EGS:

Technically, I can eat everything on display here.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It’s one thing to have captchas identifying stop signs or buses or something when I though I was aiding map software. It’s another for these assholes to require everyone to aid in controversial AI artwork development.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't eat the upsetting dogcat on the left. even if you survive, you'll wish you hadn't.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JazzFlight posted:

It’s one thing to have captchas identifying stop signs or buses or something when I though I was aiding map software. It’s another for these assholes to require everyone to aid in controversial AI artwork development.

Big part of it is also that someone at Stanford already demonstrated an AI that can easily solve existing capchas of vehicles and signage. The capcha above is a second level reasoning puzzle in that it's not simple identification of "is this [thing AI is trained to identify]?" but it has to be able to identify the thing and then make a qualitative assessment of the thing based on a specific question, which current AI is too stupid to do because it's not actually able to think or reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah i don't think these AI CAPTCHAs are being used for training AIs, they already know which images were generated from a "burger" prompt so you identifying that it's edible doesn't help them in any way

it's just the next step in the CAPTCHA arms race because AIs got too good at solving the old ones

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
These new ones are awful not only because you can't help but stress a little wondering if the camera lens-coffee tamper hybrid counts as a "camera" or not, but also because it seems like you have to progress through six or seven iterations before you "pass".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVkshsEa3Y

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

LividLiquid posted:

I got tired of being called the f-slur by strangers long before there was an internet on which to play games.

Every couple of years, I reinstall noted hat simulator Team Fortress 2 to play a few brainless rounds, figuring I'll play until I hear it again and then uninstall.

I have never lasted longer than two minutes.

I played TF2 during the glory years and it was fantastic. Then it became a hat-collecting device, as you said, and the few servers that remained played nothing but Payload maps. I don't hate Payload, but I also want to play CP and CTF and all the other game types. This was when I soured to all MP games in general. I don't want to be dependant on other people for fun. Wanting to do X and not being able to do so because no-one else wants to play X is just very saddening. It appies to FPS games just as much as MMOs or any other 'social' game. I would mind less if TF2 had decent bots like CounterStrike, but it doesn't.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can't wait for an hours-long retrospective breakdown of TF2. It started out fine in the beta, then got good, then got gooder, then got super goodest, then got less good, then got weird, then good, then absolutely broken, then weird again, then

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I can't wait for an hours-long retrospective breakdown of TF2. It started out fine in the beta, then got good, then got gooder, then got super goodest, then got less good, then got weird, then good, then absolutely broken, then weird again, then

This was at the beginning of cosmetic micro-transactions, and I had no idea how much hats would gently caress up the whole thing. I just thought that they were cute collectibles that were for some reason subject to artificial scarcity - very high scarcity. Keep in mind that, at the start, they were not for sale or trade - they were just very, very rare drops.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They are literally why I made my inventory and other parts of my Steam profile private. I got dozens of spam requests to buy hats I got.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I never had as much fun in a multiplayer game as playing Medic in TF2. He's just so entertaining in every way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It was absolute pure fun and they did the "if it ain't broke fix it" mentality and ruined one of the best multiplayer games ever. It's one of the most egregious examples of a developer shooting themselves in the foot I can think of.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They are literally why I made my inventory and other parts of my Steam profile private. I got dozens of spam requests to buy hats I got.

To combine this with the AI discussion earlier, I remembered I had some CSGO skins that I should probably liquidate recently, the value is probably peaking a bit before CS2 comes out. A couple had become worth a surprising amount of money in the years I hadn't played, and while they were up for sale, I got quite a few people adding me to try and get me to click scam links. I suspect it was being done using a chat ai though, because while they all followed the same premise ("hey want to play for our team as a substitute in this tournament? no? can you vote for us on the tournament website then?") none of them were from a prompt, and when interrogated all gave moderately convincing answers that felt off in certain aspects.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the "vote for my team on this website" scam gets goons caught constantly

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So congratulations, you're smarter than the average goon! :pseudo:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It was absolute pure fun and they did the "if it ain't broke fix it" mentality and ruined one of the best multiplayer games ever. It's one of the most egregious examples of a developer shooting themselves in the foot I can think of.

Are we talking about Overwatch now? TF2 has a bot problem and a lack of serious support from Valve. That's it. It's still the same game it's always been since 2013/14. Private servers deal with its biggest issue.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ho-lee cow.

That's it. I'm not human anymore. I fell behind and am no longer competent enough to be a human.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'd say that helps incentivize piracy, but really, navigating dodgy torrent site ads and fake download links requires at least as much effort.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Those are pretty dumb captchas but at least the audio one isn't creepy like ReCaptcha's audio captchas were, you'd have some creepy backwards whispering playing like it was speaking Parseltongue while a robotic voice would spit out letters and numbers at you. Not something pleasant to hear past Midnight.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Divine Punishment for recording vertical instead of horizontal.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Quill posted:

It's the base version of Payday 2, but there are three free DLC's; soundtrack, Christmas pack and the B-Sides.

If you don't have the Christmas music pack you need the Christmas music pack. "If It Has To Be Christmas" is probably the best Christmas song I've ever heard.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A good poster posted:

I'd say that helps incentivize piracy, but really, navigating dodgy torrent site ads and fake download links requires at least as much effort.

Yeah but you have to pay HBO.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Quill posted:

Do the soundtracks still come with cosmetic dlc?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Hollandia posted:

Do the soundtracks still come with cosmetic dlc?

Yeah, they should. So put on your elf hat and have a merry ol' time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Are we talking about Overwatch now? TF2 has a bot problem and a lack of serious support from Valve. That's it. It's still the same game it's always been since 2013/14. Private servers deal with its biggest issue.

the difference between tf2 and overwatch is that overwatch was a fundamentally broken game from inception and did need a lot of attention. but blizzard weren't very good at balancing it, then abandoned the game for like 3 years to make a pve experience that they cancelled anyway. tf2 just added a bunch of clutter on top of a good base game that diluted the formula before valve lost interest

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm still waiting for that cluster dynamite weapon they teased with in the original trailer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TF2 started out as a near perfect game. Aside from the servers that forced friendly fire on to make being pyro more "fair" I guess.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the difference between tf2 and overwatch is that overwatch was a fundamentally broken game from inception and did need a lot of attention. but blizzard weren't very good at balancing it, then abandoned the game for like 3 years to make a pve experience that they cancelled anyway. tf2 just added a bunch of clutter on top of a good base game that diluted the formula before valve lost interest

Blizzard made Overwatch to do something with the work they put towards a cancelled MMO and then when Overwatch succeeded they went back and started trying to make the same MMO and when they gave up a second time they put out what they had as Overwatch 2

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cojawfee posted:

TF2 started out as a near perfect game. Aside from the servers that forced friendly fire on to make being pyro more "fair" I guess.

True. It was simple and elegant like association football, and they kept fiddling and adding rubbish until it became a vending machine. But, it's okay that they ruined it because all of that sweet micro-transaction money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sunblaze over at GOG.