Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Warbird posted:

Nah, they’re just going to start work on the next season and it’ll just come out then anyway.

Accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I don't see what the issue is, it's a blu-ray, just rip it.
Actually, my very first thought. But then I realized that people are probably more likely to have a living room blu-ray reader nowadays than anything attached to a PC that could be used for ripping.

I'm probably going to preorder the blu-ray and use alternative means to watch it before then. Especially since it will have to go all the way to France from the US.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that release strategy is scummy as hell. I'm okay with that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X_Toad posted:

Actually, my very first thought. But then I realized that people are probably more likely to have a living room blu-ray reader nowadays than anything attached to a PC that could be used for ripping.

I'm probably going to preorder the blu-ray and use alternative means to watch it before then. Especially since it will have to go all the way to France from the US.

I mean, it's not an insurmountable challenge. An external USB blu-ray drive is like $60. It's worth it to have around for the rare cases where you would need one.

There's no legal digital outlet that gives you a DRM free file that you can do with whatever. You either have to pirate it or make it yourself.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's not an insurmountable challenge. An external USB blu-ray drive is like $60. It's worth it to have around for the rare cases where you would need one.

Yep, I have one that I only really use for this purpose.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I had one of those $60 ones and it had stopped reading any discs in about 6 months so if you’ve got a lot of stuff to rip or want better reliability then you may want to spend a bit more

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
didn't catch this one initially

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

uber_stoat posted:

This is wonderful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They never leave a creative idea alone and always come back to it if they can that is why this show is and was always will be great.

Even if it is a dumb in joke, a concept for something a decade ago or something idly thought up at 2AM after eating junk.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chronojam posted:

I'm only in season two of rewatch, time to speed it up

Same but we still got a month.

Controversial take time: I might like victor echo November more than house of mummies. Also I actually really like the white house episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god some artist please make a piece where Rusty has just stashed all his illegally gained documentation in the fancy bathroom of his new penthouse now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rusty don't deserve to be done dirty like that

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

uber_stoat posted:

Oh this is wonderful

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looking at Vudu this morning, it looks like the digital release is available in 4k.

So I guess they are going to get me to double dip with digital and physical.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

Looking at Vudu this morning, it looks like the digital release is available in 4k.

So I guess they are going to get me to double dip with digital and physical.

physical includes a digital code

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

pixaal posted:

physical includes a digital code

Yeah, but being only blu-ray, the digital code will likely only be HD.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but being only blu-ray, the digital code will likely only be HD.

Redeem it on Apple, they always give you the highest quality version regardless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Riven posted:

Redeem it on Apple, they always give you the highest quality version regardless.

Actually, they don't always, it depends on the distribution contacts.

I also don't want the 4k version to be held hostage on that platform. Though I do have an AppleTV, I'm not invested in the Apple ecosystem at all.

It's Movies Anywhere so if you buy the 4k digital version on any outlet you'll have it on all outlets, however an HD code redemption will only have an HD version in your Movies Anywhere account.

Also, iTunes only has it listed as HD right now, it wouldn't be the first time that they didn't have the UHD version of something.

I can actually give a recent example of this. I had bought "The Lost Boys" awhile ago. It's Warner Brothers so movies anywhere, I had it in HD in all my outlets.

Well, it became available in 4k on all digital platforms because a 4k disc was released. My copy of it in iTunes stayed in HD and in fact the HD copy is STILL sitting in my iTunes account under different artwork and the 4k version only showed up in my iTunes library after I redeemed the 4k disc. But it shows up side by side with the HD copy oddly enough. So yeah, no automatic upgrade there, I didn't get the 4k version until I bought the 4k version.

What is curious is right now Vudu is the only plays showing a UHD version. Movies anywhere is acutally having trouble tracking anything other than iTunes and Vudu right now.

https://moviesanywhere.com/movie/venture-bros-radiant-is-the-blood-of-the-baboon-heart-2023?show=retailers

Doesn't show Amazon even thought he preorder is up. But you can see there that it says "HD" with itunes and "4k" with Vudu. We'll see if that changes as we get closer.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There won't be any limited theatre release will there?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Khanstant posted:

Maybe Alamo Drafthouse like for season premieres but they're firing all their projectionists for trying to form a union so gently caress em

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Khanstant posted:

I have wondered if the same company that does Rifftrax showings would show it

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Ohtsam posted:

Maybe Alamo Drafthouse like for season premieres but they're firing all their projectionists for trying to form a union so gently caress em
As someone that spent 3 nights a week at the original Alamo downtown location, that place has gone down the shitter. I've barely been back since... '12 or so. The owner Tim League is just an unrepentant self-aggrandizing, labor-abusing scoundrel and I refuse to fund his douchebaggery.
I'll just have to console myself with memories of the good years, watching Terror Tuesday, Weird Wednesday, Choose-Your-Adventure nights, and all the unique stuff they'd dig up from the couches in back, eating a Blazing Saddles pizza over a pitcher of Shiner.

RIP Alamo, you are missed.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I thought Harry Knowles ran Drafthouse. If I ever got rich I was going to rent it and host live readings of his Blade 2 review

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I miss the pre-corporate Drafthouse when I was a teen and they actually had good food. Downside there were only 2 of them.

Movie theatres in general seem dire now. The movie tavern near me is so understaffed they don't even check tickets.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Alamo is the best option where i live by a lot. It sucks that their ownership is bad but their theater experience is the only way I’ve been able to actually enjoy going to a movie as an adult

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Khanstant posted:

Movie theatres in general seem dire now. The movie tavern near me is so understaffed they don't even check tickets.

I have to pick and choose which location I go to now. The closest one to my house needs a carpet cleaning...smells like when Torrid disappeared.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It smells like a bible story.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have one screen (not theater, screen within a theater), that's worthwhile to go to anymore within like 200 miles. It's a Dolby Cinema screen at an AMC theater about 25 minutes from me.

I have a Cinemark theater that's literally a mile from me, but even the XD screen is only about on par with what I can achieve in my living room. If it's not large format (XD, IMAX, Dolby Cinema), then the quality is just too bottom barrel to make it worthwhile most of the time. Dim project on a small screen that as an apparently size from seating position that's not better than my TV.

Under $5 maybe to see something a bit sooner, but that's about it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a theater near me that is like a pro at making things out of focus and no one ever believes me until the credits pop up, twice with a slight overlap

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

My kid excitedly told me a Venture Brothers trailer dropped and now I feel bad for not telling him I saw it and forgot to share it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I got an email saying my box set of DVDs will arrive today.

Go Team Physical Media!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The complete series physical release is on sale at Amazon for $100 right now. I’m debating picking it up.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So we know what's in that?
I've got all the releases already. I don't have blue ray or good enough eyes.
Boosting numbers seems like the main goal with that box?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol Amazon reviewers bombing the box set because they wanted a full blu ray release

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I wish it was BluRay. I'm buying it as a souvenir. I have the previous releases already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really don't understand why companies go through the trouble to have a physical release and go with DVD over blu-ray. The production costs can't be that much different now. Hell, I would think downgrading seasons 3-7 would cost MORE to author on blu-ray than just taking them as they are.

You see this on TV shows all the time. There will be a physical release and it will only be a DVD release, of new shows even.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with this. The only people going to buy it are mega fans who likely already have the previous discs and don't want to downgrade the quality of their discs. And the lack of new special features is bizarre.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Does it have the old special features, though?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IIUC, production costs for Blu-Ray are comparable to DVD, but licensing from Sony jacks the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because the old people buying tv shows on physical media only have DVD players.