Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting that there are both 2D and 3D special stages in this, wonder how that's going to work.

The whole motif of getting powers from individual emeralds rather than just all 7 seems neat as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope Nack is playable

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Huh, I was literally thinking this afternoon "If Sega doesn't let Classic characters and Modern characters interact anymore I guess Fang is hosed." What do you know.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

was excited that it looked like a Mania sequel but it's apparently not involving the Mania devs, consider my excitement tempered

also the sonic 3 music will never ever get changed back. buy the steam version and get the mod to get the original music

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Nack is back.

Nack is so cool & I'm glad he is finally getting his due after nearly 30 years.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
It's good to see that they're putting out what appears to be a successor to Sonic 4 instead of the famously critically-panned Mania.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s not exactly fair, this looks way more interesting/ambitious than 4 ever did

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I get being apprehensive, but it already looks way better than Sonic 4 ever did, so I also think the comparisons are a bit unfair.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I doubt it will play like the classics/Mania, but as long as it’s still fun to play I don’t really care.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How many lives will be lost in the Great Fang/Nack War

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
whether fang or nack, sniper or weasel, he'll always be a hooligan...!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Fang is actually supposed to be a wolf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For this moment he is Nack so we can say "Nack is Back"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Electric Phantasm posted:

For this moment he is Nack so we can say "Nack is Back"

Fang Gang rise up again.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Fang is actually supposed to be a wolf

According to his designer he was actually supposed to be a jerboa. Somehow along the way he became known as a wolf/jerboa hybrid, though.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Looper posted:

whether fang or nack, sniper or weasel, he'll always be a hooligan...!!

:hai:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

According to his designer he was actually supposed to be a jerboa. Somehow along the way he became known as a wolf/jerboa hybrid, though.

How did that wind up getting changed to a weasel in the west out of curiosity?

Also why rename him “Nack” in the first place, did the “Sniper” part of his original name have something to do with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But how will Yuji Naka be involved?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yuji Naka hasn’t had anything to do with Sonic since 06 I believe

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

from prison?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It was all a plot to get inside the prison complex so he could free Project Shadow and activate the ARK. The fools at Square-Enix played right into his hands.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Yuji Nacka

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love how Amy just wangs her hammer through stuff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Rafaknight_rk/status/1666915604102619136
Not intended to be Big Drama, they ain't trying to cancel the game and it was contract work, context is just an artist who did 3D modeling for SEGA recognizing some of the models in Superstars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you Nack fans haven't already checked out Triple Trouble 16-bit you're loving missing out.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

holefoods posted:

I bought Generations because I was excited for the classic stages but I enjoyed the 3D stages way more

I bought Generations on steam on a sale a bit before the sale where I got Forces again. And yeah, the 3D stages are so much better. I played Generations at launch, and at the time I didn't think Classic played all that bad. But going back to it, I can really feel the weight and weirdness of him. And then Forces decides to just make his jump momentum completely worse, and his sense of speed even lower. It's horrible.

So yeah, looking forward to #Sonic 4(Characters), now breaking out of the mobile screen and onto your $500 consoles for full retail price soon!

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I can’t imagine this will be the quality of Mania, but if it’s closer to the Generations 2D levels it should be a good title.

Can’t be worse than the 2D Forces levels…right?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Compromise, he's Nack The Fanged Sniper.
(I think Ian did this in one of the comics?)

Also +1ing the Triple Trouble 16-Bit rec.

Also I think Superstars looks bad, but I don't usually like 2.5d much and especially not for Classic Sonic. I would love to be pleasantly surprised by it being good, though.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

he’s going to call in a verse for a knuckles rap song

“this is a collect call from:”
“naka yuji san desu”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they get the 2D physics right it should be good, but just at a first glance the arc of those jumps looks kinda truncated in a weird way? I suspect it's Generations 2D engine with basically the same physics. Which was fine, but not the pitch-perfect 2D physics Mania had.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks pretty good but I hope it controls better than classic Generations stages. I didn’t really care for those. The modern stages were the highlight for me.

I kinda wish they would use the modern designs again for 2D like the Advance games but they seem pretty firm on “classic Sonic” being a separate thing by now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Party Boat posted:

Um actually I have played 2D Sonic reimagined with fully 3D graphics before and it sucked poo poo

:goonsay: Sonic 4 didnt have fully 3D graphics

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It looks a little bit better than Sonic 4. I will play it.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

They look so cute and the game looks gorgeous!!

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The characters look adorable, excited for the character and art direction!

My memories of 2-player sonic/tails gameplay with my older siblings was sonic running off while tails just tries to stay on screen. I can’t imagine 4-player sonic working at all with classic gameplay.
So definitely a ‘wait for reviews’ on what the actual game plays like.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The physics and jumping arcs in the trailer look absolutely fine and very similar to the classic games, they don't look anything like Generations or Sonic 4. Game looks fun as hell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I don’t really get where the Sonic 4 comparisons are coming from as this looks like it’s got genuine effort put into it. I also wonder how the 4 player co-op is going to work and conversely how well the game plays in single player mode.

Nice to see Nack making a real appearance again for the first time since the Archie comics as well (or in terms of games, since Sonic the Fighters unless you want to count the boss in Mania that turns into him, Bark, or Bean).

Do we know anything about the staff behind Superstars yet (I assume Team Mania isn’t involved)?

In terms of special stages I’m assuming the 3D skydiving sections are the real ones and the Sonic 1 redux is more like a bonus stage ala Blue Spheres in Mania (or maybe it’s like Sonic Chaos/Triple Trouble where there are multiple different types of special stages you alternate between)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 9, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Larryb posted:

How did that wind up getting changed to a weasel in the west out of curiosity?

Also why rename him “Nack” in the first place, did the “Sniper” part of his original name have something to do with it?

Nack is the original name, they changed it to Fang for sonic the fighters

See, the handheld and console teams at sega communicated exactly as well as sega of japan and sega of america did, so in the same month they both released new games introducing the first antagonist animal character, one named NACK and one named NACKLES

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Nack is the original name, they changed it to Fang for sonic the fighters

See, the handheld and console teams at sega communicated exactly as well as sega of japan and sega of america did, so in the same month they both released new games introducing the first antagonist animal character, one named NACK and one named NACKLES

Huh, I always assumed he was Fang the Sniper in the Japanese version of Triple Trouble as well (I know he definitely wasn’t a weasel over there at least)

So were Triple Trouble and Sonic 3 in development at about the same time then?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rename him to Gerry the Jerboa.