Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

Apple announced macOS 14 Sonoma earlier today.

These are the machines it can run on:

iMac 2019 or later
iMac Pro 2017
MacBook Air 2018 or later
MacBook Pro 2018 or later
Mac Pro 2019 or later
Mac Studio 2022 or later
Mac mini 2018 or later

So it looks like with the exception of iMac Pros, 2017 Macs can't go any farther than Ventura.

No more macbook 12" support, oh well mine stopped at ventura so there are a couple years of patches before being fully unsupported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

With the curious exception of the iMac 2019 models, it looks like Sonoma absolutely requires the T2 or Secure Enclave.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I know no-one here knows, but I do wonder how much longer the Intel Macs will get current macOS releases.

If I were a betting man, I’d say the next release after Sonoma or maybe the following will be the end of the line for intel macOS support

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Rosetta 2 will probably get yoinked / blocked from downloading at the same time

Intuit will just keep parroting its current recommendation for QuickBooks which is to get Parallels and run it under Windows

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Heh, more like SlowBooks

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Rosetta 2 will probably get yoinked / blocked from downloading at the same time

There keep being hints that they view Rosetta 2 as a longer term technology, and they fully own it now (unlike Rosetta 1 which was licensed). The hints I'm thinking of...

- Last year they made Rosetta 2 available to use inside Linux VMs, so you can run x86 Linux binaries inside an Arm linux VM

- This WWDC, they announced Game Porting Toolkit, which helps Windows game devs evaluate Mac porting potential by running x86 Windows binaries through Wine with a new DX12-to-Metal translation layer written by Apple. (The basic idea seems to be that devs can use profiling and other perf monitor tools to get an idea of where any bottlenecks in their game engine are, which gives a good idea how much work it will take to fix them in a true native Arm/Metal port.) The x86 part of this means it relies on Rosetta 2.

These kinds of applications of Rosetta 2 may cause it to stick for quite a while. Long after every important Mac app is available as native, there will still be interesting x86 Linux and Windows software that's useful to run in some form or another.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

SourKraut posted:

I know no-one here knows, but I do wonder how much longer the Intel Macs will get current macOS releases.

I’m betting the last Intel supported version is Sonoma+1. Napa?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody got Cyberpunk running on an M1 using the new porting tool already

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/142vjdz/i_got_cyberpunk_2077_running_on_an_m1_macbook/

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I've got two iMacs I'm trying to boot into recovery mode but they just flat out refuse. One is on Catalina, the other is unknown.

The second one will boot into diagnostics mode when I hold D during startup, but any attempt at cmd+R or its variations is ignored. I definitely booted it into network recovery mode at some point, but it errored out afterward (forgot to write the message down). I've tried waiting until I see the backlight come on before pressing buttons, I've tried pressing buttons immediately after pressing the power button, I've tried pushing the buttons at the same time or by slightly leading with cmd then R. Tried with multiple Mac and windows keyboards.

The one on Catalina just does not care about any key commands, it won't even boot into diagnostics like the other one. I can see in the disk utility that it does have a recovery partition.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Machai posted:

I've got two iMacs I'm trying to boot into recovery mode but they just flat out refuse. One is on Catalina, the other is unknown.

The second one will boot into diagnostics mode when I hold D during startup, but any attempt at cmd+R or its variations is ignored. I definitely booted it into network recovery mode at some point, but it errored out afterward (forgot to write the message down). I've tried waiting until I see the backlight come on before pressing buttons, I've tried pressing buttons immediately after pressing the power button, I've tried pushing the buttons at the same time or by slightly leading with cmd then R. Tried with multiple Mac and windows keyboards.

The one on Catalina just does not care about any key commands, it won't even boot into diagnostics like the other one. I can see in the disk utility that it does have a recovery partition.

Probably too obvious, but do you have the keyboard plugged into a hub?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Machai posted:

What years are the iMacs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone here used the custom driver packages from bootcampdrivers.com? I'm always wary of using non-official drivers, so wanted to see if anyone had used them or knew of any security risks/concerns.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got windows 11 arm running in VMware fusion on my M1, seems to run ok but I’ve not really had a chance to test it. Definitely wanna try and see if I can get the work vpn configured on it because if that works I can get rid of my Intel mac mini.

CeciPipePasPipe
Aug 18, 2004
This pipe not pipe!!

BobHoward posted:

There keep being hints that they view Rosetta 2 as a longer term technology, and they fully own it now (unlike Rosetta 1 which was licensed). The hints I'm thinking of...

- Last year they made Rosetta 2 available to use inside Linux VMs, so you can run x86 Linux binaries inside an Arm linux VM

- This WWDC, they announced Game Porting Toolkit, which helps Windows game devs evaluate Mac porting potential by running x86 Windows binaries through Wine with a new DX12-to-Metal translation layer written by Apple. (The basic idea seems to be that devs can use profiling and other perf monitor tools to get an idea of where any bottlenecks in their game engine are, which gives a good idea how much work it will take to fix them in a true native Arm/Metal port.) The x86 part of this means it relies on Rosetta 2.

These kinds of applications of Rosetta 2 may cause it to stick for quite a while. Long after every important Mac app is available as native, there will still be interesting x86 Linux and Windows software that's useful to run in some form or another.

What I'm worried about is them dropping x64 builds of libc/appkit/foundation/all the stuff that is required to run an x64 macos (gui) application. Still scarred from 32bit x86 being dropped in 10.15. It seemed like they were eager to rip 32bit x86 out of all the libraries, which I'm sure was a maintenance burden. Or do you think they will maintain and keep up to date an intel build of all the macos libraries required for a gui application targeted ONLY for rosetta2? It's possible we'll see a rosetta2 future where rosetta2 is only good for running linux and wine apps but not intel mac apps, maybe?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Apparently Whoopie Goldberg got quite irate on Twitter about there not being a MacOS port of Diablo 4 for her to play.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Wanted to install XCode which wouldn't install due to lack of space, and I discovered Arq backup was filling up literally half my SSD with cache/database files (around 200GB of them) so I've uninstalled it and nuked all the folders it uses, but I don't seem to have got any space back?

Using GrandPerspective on the root of the SSD shows what you would expect - it only detects around 250GB worth of files out of a 500GB SSD - but disk utility and 'storage' in system settings show only 30GB free. The guidance online seems to be to delete your local time machine snapshots with the terminal which I've done and hasn't made a difference. I've also disabled time machine for the time being which apparently sometimes helps, but again no difference. Anything else I should try?

Edit: nevermind, there was one snapshot remaining that was created by Arq which I couldn't seem to delete with the command line, but Disk Utility offers a GUI for snapshot management and I was able to delete it from there. Got all the space back now!

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 10, 2023

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Apparently Whoopie Goldberg got quite irate on Twitter about there not being a MacOS port of Diablo 4 for her to play.

she’s right to. blizzard had mac ports of every game of theirs from the 90s up until overwatch. why’d they suddenly stop? they owe her an answer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Get those assholes at Bungie for teasing Halo as a Mac exclusive and then getting bought by Microsoft to put it on Xbox instead

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I remembered playing Oni on an amped up graphite G4 with a GeForce3 and a 1 GHz accelerator, man those were the days..

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The best days were when the first blue G3 power Mac came out with a Radeon card standard and Quake3 test came out almost the same time. Coworkers couldn’t believe how good the graphics were on a Mac

I also recall someone running around Q3Test with the username IdSucksGimmeWin32

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So it sounds like no-one here has used bootcampdrivers.com, which sucks because I was hoping someone could re-assure me, lol.

Probably a dumb question, but if I installed it on the bootcamp partion, and the bootcamp install is solely for gaming, is there any risk of compromise on macOS, where my actual day-to-day usage is, including for work?

Spoderman posted:

she’s right to. blizzard had mac ports of every game of theirs from the 90s up until overwatch. why’d they suddenly stop? they owe her an answer

I'm sure some beancounter decided that they couldn't cover their profit margin target from Mac users and Mac ports; I'm sure that PC sales were subsidizing Mac development for awhile.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Get those assholes at Bungie for teasing Halo as a Mac exclusive and then getting bought by Microsoft to put it on Xbox instead
Lol this could have changed a LOT

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spoderman posted:

drat right. I just think it’s oddly hilarious to picture her as an avid Diablo player.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Steve Yun posted:

The best days were when the first blue G3 power Mac came out with a Radeon card standard and Quake3 test came out almost the same time. Coworkers couldn’t believe how good the graphics were on a Mac

I also recall someone running around Q3Test with the username IdSucksGimmeWin32

In an alternate timeline where Half Life 1 for Mac wasn't cancelled by Dynamix, CounterStrike comes out and takes over every iMac in every school computer lab and every kid's bedroom. Macs become the major gaming platform.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I personally like watching the 20+ year old videos where Steve Jobs is up on stage talking about how many more FRAMEZ the new Mac had vs PCs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

SourKraut posted:

So it sounds like no-one here has used bootcampdrivers.com, which sucks because I was hoping someone could re-assure me, lol.

Probably a dumb question, but if I installed it on the bootcamp partion, and the bootcamp install is solely for gaming, is there any risk of compromise on macOS, where my actual day-to-day usage is, including for work?

I'm sure some beancounter decided that they couldn't cover their profit margin target from Mac users and Mac ports; I'm sure that PC sales were subsidizing Mac development for awhile.

I have, they work fine. I certainly couldn't tell you if it's secretly also a botnet or whatever, though.

Do you ask people to vet every random bit of software you download?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CeciPipePasPipe posted:

What I'm worried about is them dropping x64 builds of libc/appkit/foundation/all the stuff that is required to run an x64 macos (gui) application. Still scarred from 32bit x86 being dropped in 10.15. It seemed like they were eager to rip 32bit x86 out of all the libraries, which I'm sure was a maintenance burden. Or do you think they will maintain and keep up to date an intel build of all the macos libraries required for a gui application targeted ONLY for rosetta2? It's possible we'll see a rosetta2 future where rosetta2 is only good for running linux and wine apps but not intel mac apps, maybe?

The old 32-bit Objective-C runtime (and appkit etc) were boat anchor designs (dating to before Apple bought NeXT) which caused Apple a lot of maintenace headaches due to a fragile base class problem:

https://www.cocoawithlove.com/2010/03/dynamic-ivars-solving-fragile-base.html

The 64-bit redesign fixed this, and it's a good bet that dropping 32-bit in 10.15 was attractive due to exactly this issue.

Today, as I understand it (but I'm not a real expert on this so take with a grain of salt), the 64-bit Arm and x86 ABIs and runtimes have equivalent features, so in principle maintaining x64 builds of libraries should be easier. Whether that translates into them actually continuing to build x64 libraries? gently caress if I know, you aren't wrong to speculate about a possible future in which Rosetta 2 becomes just a Linux/Wine thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Many folks are reporting that Sonoma Beta 1 runs faster / smoother than Ventura.. some are even calling it the new Snow Leopard in terms of its feel..

This may be due to the Foundation framework in Sonoma being rewritten in Swift instead of Objective-C.

This speed increase seems to be valid for both Intel and Apple Silicon apps..

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Many folks are reporting that Sonoma Beta 1 runs faster / smoother than Ventura.. some are even calling it the new Snow Leopard in terms of its feel..

This may be due to the Foundation framework in Sonoma being rewritten in Swift instead of Objective-C.

This speed increase seems to be valid for both Intel and Apple Silicon apps..

It feels so much faster on my 2018 MacBook Pro than Ventura - even seeing the login screen when I open my laptop's lid is noticeably faster.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Couldn't tell you if it's any faster. It's all the same to me, but this is on the 14" Pro.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Doesn’t feel any faster for me. On Mojave btw.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Doesn’t feel any faster for me. On Mojave btw.

Lmfao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How many bounces does it take for Safari to open?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God, I remember when Mac OS X first dropped I thought the "bouncing icon while launching" thing would be the first thing they would drop or rethink, like before the first major refresh.

And here we are

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think its nifty

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I've always liked the beach ball for some reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I'm not saying I don't like it, just that I fully expected them to change it after thinking "wow this is goofy, what the hell were we smoking"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
It’s useful information without having to change where your eye is focused

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've googled this and I'm coming up with nothing but is there a way to stop the computer from disconnecting my hotspot when the display turns off?

It's annoying AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Most importantly is system settings less awful now?