Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

FMguru posted:

See if you can guess the make and model of the car that OP spent $50k and "thousands of man hours" restoring.

AITA for not letting my nephew have the car we were restoring together after crashing my car.

Some nice cowardice on the part of father and son, refusing to take OPs phone calls. Maybe if we lay low for a little while he'll forget about destroying his precious Nova!

That's a hell of a lot to put into a car, but then again, when there's clearly that much sentimental value, and apparently a hobby as well, it's understandable.

loving lol that the parents think that a secondhand "sorry" is enough to make everything good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Coffee Sludge posted:

Well I was all excited until I found the one instance of the car type you missed spoilering.
D'oh. Fixed.

As someone whose first car was a hand-me-down 1975 Nova I just can't get over investing that much time and effort into one.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, as someone not into cars, is the car a good or bad vehicle? I tried looking at the Wikipedia page, but it's late and my eyes kind of glazed over.

It's was just a standard sedan of the time, so generally terrible to drive by modern standards, as nephew discovered.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Since we all love Bidet Chat:

AITA for not telling strangers that I wash my behind?

And my fave reply:

If they weren't from the US there is a small chance the foot washing assumption was cultural but since they are from the US they're just a dumbass.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

All right this thread has an absolutely batshit relationship with animals and it's getting ridiculous so starting immediately we're done speaking about them. I do not care about whether or not you like or hate dogs or some bizarre story about how you saw animals kill each other it's gotten out of hand

If you want to post stories about animals (that do not involve abuse) fine whatever but if it veers into "all dogs must die and go to hell and I will be vengeance unleashed" or "here's a really disturbing animal story that is only tangentially connected to the story at hand" then you're getting smashed for it

Thank you carry on
Thank god Seth!
I want to see everyone’s wholesome pet stories/pictures. But yes no more disturbing stories I can’t unsee. Also would be nice to include TWs for spoiler tags!

AITA for slowly throwing away all of my sisters belongings?

quote:

Ok so after I (28M) got kicked out of my apartment I needed a new place to stay. My sister (24F) is living at her friends house and says they are cool with me crashing for the summer. I only need about three months anyways. When I show up the place is a MESS and even worse the room I was suppose to take is a dump ground for my sisters stuff. The kitchen is cluttered and disgusting. The bathroom is cluttered, moldy, and stinky. I decided to stay anyways because hey free rent. Over the course of the past month I have been cleaning and decluttering everywhere I could. I cant believe her friend puts up with her actually I can she is also responsible for the mess. I have thrown away countless cups, plates, canned food, candy, pasta, coffee, tea, hair accessories, cheap rings, sandals, Tupperware, trash, clothes, hats, countless socks etc. I know it sounds like this stuff could have been donated but all of her clutter comes from cheap dollar stores. They both love having me as a roommate because they think I am handy. I am.

Slowly my sister has been noticing her stuff missing. She has questioned me and even called me asking if I have seen her shoes or whatever. I just deny seeing it and say I only throw away expired food, duplicates, or broken stuff. I am able to get away with throwing stuff out because I only do it on trash day. lol. Yesterday I messed up though because I forgot it wasn't trash day. I had filled the trashcan with a bunch of my sisters clothes and I was to lazy to take the trash out. She rarely uses the kitchen trashcan anyways since she doesn't clean up after herself. I was wrong and she noticed. I came home to an emptied out kitchen trashcan in the middle of the kitchen and she demanded I explain my self. I simply said that I had a "trash box" and a "good box" and that I emptied out the wrong box while I was decluttering the laundry room. She didn't buy it. I am doing her a favor and her friend a favor but they just don't see it.

AITA?

Edit: Okay people I am the rear end in a top hat. After reading many comments and arguing with yall I see it now. I still need time to think about what to do next but I for sure need to apologize and offer to replace everything.

What I have learned:
-I was essentially stealing
-They didn't ask for my help
-My actions make hoarding worse (not sure if its full on hoarding but i am not helping)
-They are doing me a massive favor not the other way around
-I am a guest

Detail I left out:
-I have no job.
-I got kicked out of last apartment because landlord wanted her daughter to move in closer to her
-I am sleeping on the couch because thats the only space available for the moment

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, as someone not into cars, is the car a good or bad vehicle? I tried looking at the Wikipedia page, but it's late and my eyes kind of glazed over.

It’s not like a super fantastic car but “the chevy nova you restored with your father together until he passed” is never going to be a bad car, you know?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Assumed it was a foot wash station?

Lady, it's 2023. You have to presume any appliance or gadget in the bathroom you don't recognize is some sort of intimate care or sex toy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crocobile posted:

Thank god Seth!
I want to see everyone’s wholesome pet stories/pictures. But yes no more disturbing stories I can’t unsee. Also would be nice to include TWs for spoiler tags!

Yeah if you know a hoarder throwing their stuff away is like the worst thing you can do because it validates literally every anxiety they have.

Some documentary about it, trying to help them, had the following

- lady being asked to get rid of dozens of commerative 9/11 plates breaking down weeping because she says it would diminish their sacrifice
- guy living with his hoarder father, slowly becoming a hoarder himself trying to explain why he keeps balls of his cats fur because he feels like throwing it away is throwing away parts of the cat and someday the cat will die and seeing that fur might help him cope

It's a serious mental disorder, not just being lazy.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Fajita Queen posted:

It's a "classic" car from the early 70s that you can easily buy for under 10 grand, which means it's a piece of poo poo.

Calling bullshit on rolling a car from 1968 hard enough to make it not worth fixing and not being injured. Those cars were not designed to crumple, so all the forced get transferred to your squishy little body and organs, and the steel of the car will have barely a dent.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coca Koala posted:

It’s not like a super fantastic car but “the chevy nova you restored with your father together until he passed” is never going to be a bad car, you know?

The 60's ones get modified into drag or muscle cars with big engines a lot, since they're stout and have massive engine bays. I'm assuming it had quite a bit of engine and chassis work done to it.

It doesn't really matter though, I have a piece of poo poo Ford Ranger that belonged to my dad, it's worth almost nothing, but we used to drive it to jobs we did together when I was a teenager, before he passed. While it's not a timeless relic, and I still use it to haul stuff from the hardware store and to the dump, I'd be pretty loving pissed if someone just wantonly wrecked it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Coca Koala posted:

speaking of, does anyone have the aita about the guy who spent something like $20k on a used old Bronco, for that reason it was the same model as him and his dad's project car growing up.

I think he spent money that was supposed to be for a home down payment or something equally serious, and his gf/wife flipped the gently caress out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pentyne posted:

speaking of, does anyone have the aita about the guy who spent something like $20k on a used old Bronco, for that reason it was the same model as him and his dad's project car growing up.

I think he spent money that was supposed to be for a home down payment or something equally serious, and his gf/wife flipped the gently caress out.

He claimed it was literally the exact same car, but the rest is accurate

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

See if you can guess the make and model of the car that OP spent $50k and "thousands of man hours" restoring.

AITA for not letting my nephew have the car we were restoring together after crashing my car.

Some nice cowardice on the part of father and son, refusing to take OPs phone calls. Maybe if we lay low for a little while he'll forget about destroying his precious Nova!

That's impressive that the brother and SIL are whining about it's "unfair" for OP to refuse to hand over the Mustang that OP paid for and worked on. Wonder what other poo poo that kid's gotten to skate on without any consequences whatsoever.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Crocobile posted:

My mom is a hoarder and our house is just a bunch of trash and bullshit everywhere, and yeah, it loving sucks, and it's terrible for everyone else's mental health because having to walk through it to get anywhere is depressing. I've gotten into screaming matches with her years ago. Asking her why she cares more about some decades-old catalog than about her own daughter. But it's a serious mental illness and if they don't see a problem with it then they will just die alongside all their junk.

As much as it sucks, I'm an adult choosing to stay here. In fact she's out of the country for the first time in years and specifically told me not to touch her stuff, so guess what, I'm not touching her stuff. I just feel sorry for kid-me who had to live with this, because I didn't have any options, and I also could never invite any friends over or do anything fun like that.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

I had a friend who was fluent in five languages and took another two language courses as electives “for fun” in high school. I also have a friend who is fluent in five languages but it’s more impressive because they’re all fairly unrelated (English, Spanish, German, Russian, and Japanese). The story is still fake, though, for other reasons

From a few pages back but English, Spanish, German and Russian are all related. English and German are even quite closely related.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

From a few pages back but English, Spanish, German and Russian are all related. English and German are even quite closely related.

Related in that they're methods that humans use to make sounds that other humans understand? Because you've got three different major language groups there, and English, while it started as a Germanic language and still counts as one, it's gone through some changes over the last thousand years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

Related in that they're methods that humans use to make sounds that other humans understand? Because you've got three different major language groups there, and English, while it started as a Germanic language and still counts as one, it's gone through some changes over the last thousand years.

They're distantly related, they share a common ancestor and you'll see cognates here and there. The forks go back ~4000 years, so there's not that much in common anymore but they're going to be closer than e.g. Eastern Asian or sub-Saharan African languages that evolved independently.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I think he means they’re all indo-European. English & German are Germanic, though English borrows quite a bit from French and other Romance languages.

It’s interesting talking to linguistic majors who are good at picking up the patterns/rules of different languages, even if they can’t speak them. When I went to Norway I was impressed at how much I could understand by reading things out phonetically (Norwegian is also Germanic).

Still a far cry from fluency. I’m impressed with anyone who’s fluent in more than one language but maintaining fluency in 4+ is buck-wild to me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
AITA for using money we "earmarked" for our 6 month old's college fund to buy back the exact 1972 Ford Bronco I owned as a teenager?

quote:

So how to begin with this...I realize that on paper I am totally the rear end in a top hat but when you dig deeper into my motivations I'm hoping its more of a grey area that anything else and maybe even I did the right thing.

When I was a teenager my dad bought me a classic 1972 Ford Bronco. It was my true passion and I don't recall a memory from high school that somehow doesn't involve that truck. Plus my dad and I would spend hours and hours working on it together and we went through that especially father/son rough patch when I was teenager it was always that Bronco that brought us back together. I made a huge mistake and sold the truck when I turned 19 and my dad died of a heart attack two months later so while not logical, I've always felt a karmic connection between the two events.

We had a baby in early February. she is our first and the light of my life. My wife is doing well but she's back at work and she's realized that she hates all the day cares we've tried and really wants to be a stay at home mom and plus she's still very hormonal from delivery, lack of sleep and breastfeeding so she's having a rough time and is angry a lot. I guess I need to say this.

Two weeks ago I was driving through our town's warehouse district and saw a Bronco that was pretty beat up but resembled mine. I stopped just for nostalgias sake and the owner came out and let me take a look inside. My dad and I had glued a wheat penny under the dash as sort of security measure so I just sort of checked and goddamned if it wasn't MY BRONCO!

I asked him if he'd ever consider selling it, he said actually someone was on I-25 as we spoke from Colorado to buy it for $21000. I freaked out and asked him if I could buy it right then and there for $23000. He said if I could come up with the cash, yes. I had been procrastinating setting up a 529 so I had $12000 in savings that my wife's parents had given us, I maxed out my credit card to Venmo and my mom bought down a check for $4000 and I loving drove away in my old car. It was like a dream come true. Like a literal dream come true. It needs a lot of work I can't afford right now but it's mine. Like in my driveway mine. Again. I can't even describe what a joy this is.

My wife and her parents are furious with me. They feel I was deceptive, that a "real" man would have sacrificed anything and everything so my wife could go stay at home with his kids and that's setting aside that they gave us the money for a college fund. My point is my daughter is only 6 months old, we have 18 years to set up a college fund of her. But this Bronco means everything to me and if I wouldn't have acted it would have been gone forever. Now it can be that same connection between me and my kids. To me it's the literal meaning of happiness.

Like I said on paper--rear end in a top hat...whole story--grey area. How do you guys see it?

Edit: had no idea this would go so one way. I guess I messed up. I talked with my mom and she is basically going to buy the bronco from me in order to refill the college fund and pay off the credit card. The $4k will be a gift and she’s going to give me whatever I need to restore it. She’s always been awesome to me and she’s rather the money be spent now than wait for me and my sisters inheritance. Sorry to get everyone so mad at me, I was thinking with my emotions and acted badly

edit2: are the “mommy bailed you out” comments really necessary ? I found a solution and it’s coming from me and my sisters inheritance so it’s not like I’m not paying for it on my own eventually.

Edit 3: my inbox is so buried I have no idea what those icons are that are where gold used to be. Does anyone know what those are ?

Edit4: I’m getting a 403 error whenever I try to respond, not sure what that means but I’m still reading because honestly I’m afraid to go home even with the great news I know my wife is going to be upset for one reason or another

Edit5: does anyone know what 403 error means? I messaged the moderators but they must be busy u/SnausageFest since you’re a mod, do you know? I can’t respond to any posts and get the “status 403” whenever I try. Thanks!

Edit in the morning: I couldn’t figure out why I was getting so many private’s but I guess this must be locked now. I didn’t tell my wife that my mom bailed me out and lied and Said I found a buyer for the bronco. I’ll figure out how to cross that bridge when I get there but my wife was so relieved that I “had come to your senses” I don’t want to disappoint her. It’s going to take all my lying skills to pull this one off over the next few years.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FMguru posted:

The OP is doing his brother a solid because giving a restored 80s Mustang to a teenage boy who is prone to hooning around is the sort of thing that ends with someone in the ER.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Sad that Kyle is allergic to having an income

Respect people's allergies please! What are you plotting, tricking him into going to a job interview or something?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Clocks posted:

My mom is a hoarder and our house is just a bunch of trash and bullshit everywhere, and yeah, it loving sucks, and it's terrible for everyone else's mental health because having to walk through it to get anywhere is depressing. I've gotten into screaming matches with her years ago. Asking her why she cares more about some decades-old catalog than about her own daughter. But it's a serious mental illness and if they don't see a problem with it then they will just die alongside all their junk.

As much as it sucks, I'm an adult choosing to stay here. In fact she's out of the country for the first time in years and specifically told me not to touch her stuff, so guess what, I'm not touching her stuff. I just feel sorry for kid-me who had to live with this, because I didn't have any options, and I also could never invite any friends over or do anything fun like that.
My mum doesn't think that she's a hoarder because there's no food-based squalor in her home. This is despite not being able to close 75% of the doors in the house because of all the clutter.

I make a point of seeing and talking to my parents regularly, while completely avoiding the house that they live in.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

His mistake was not having triples of the Nova.

Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

pentyne posted:

AITA for using money we "earmarked" for our 6 month old's college fund to buy back the exact 1972 Ford Bronco I owned as a teenager?

I asked him if he'd ever consider selling it, he said actually someone was on I-25 as we spoke from Colorado to buy it for $21000. I freaked out and asked him if I could buy it right then and there for $23000.

This stupid motherfucker

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
poo poo like this is why I don't respect car people.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This stupid motherfucker

One of the stupidest things I’ve ever read in this thread. Worst negotiator ever and decided to just lie some more as a way to fix his problem lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, you can buy a bagged out rust heap one for maybe 10 grand. 1968 Nova's are pretty nice when restored and resell for 45-65ish.

yeah, presuming it was actually like, restored and in good shape (given he and nephew have been working to do another one like that it doesn't seem out of line) 50k is a perfectly reasonable estimate

Coca Koala posted:

this is the bigger issue. he says the family knew that and the parents and kid are trying to pretend it's nbd.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

pentyne posted:

R/relationships: It’s going to take all my lying skills to pull this one off over the next few years.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
My favorite car guy story is the woman who's co-worker got completely obsessed with her cheap generic whatever-the-hell car. He kept talking to her about it. Asked to ride in it. And she eventually caught him in the parking lot rubbing his hands along it. She had to talk to HR to get him to leave her car alone.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I worked in a call center. In the "getting to know your teammates" portion of the group training session, a woman finished the "I just love my ___" blank with her sporty Pontiac Sunfire.

I just remained silent :geno:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've gotten super paranoid about old food after having covid because my olfactory nerves were damaged and my nose has difficulty recognizing smells now. It's usually the opposite problem: I mistake good food for bad until I get a really strong sniff from up close. Chicken smells like cat piss and bleach. Dijon mustard smells like sour milk. Fruit smells like decaying animal corpses. It's a nasty experience. So now I'm always worried that I'll end up having taking big strong whiffs of actually rotten food because I won't know if I'm just mistaken or not until I do and that's so nasty, I don't stomach gross smells very well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I've gotten super paranoid about old food after having covid because my olfactory nerves were damaged and my nose has difficulty recognizing smells now. It's usually the opposite problem: I mistake good food for bad until I get a really strong sniff from up close. Chicken smells like cat piss and bleach. Dijon mustard smells like sour milk. Fruit smells like decaying animal corpses. It's a nasty experience. So now I'm always worried that I'll end up having taking big strong whiffs of actually rotten food because I won't know if I'm just mistaken or not until I do and that's so nasty, I don't stomach gross smells very well.

Make Toby smell it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Toby eats vomit.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not babysitting my ex-husband’s kid

quote:

Second and probably final update for now: Google is removing the reviews. Whackadoodle and her idiot family all have the same last name so it was pretty easy to see the reviews weren’t genuine. The ones from her friends with different names were removed too because again, it was poorly executed at best. Ex has apologized for her behavior and apparently he is “taking some time away” and she thought he was with me. I have no idea where he went after he left my house Tuesday night when the kids went to bed. He certainly is not staying here. We have only spoken to confirm pick up from swim lessons today. My parents had already planned to have the kids this weekend (ex has a graduation to go to and I am going to the beach with friends) so I don’t have to worry about where they’re going since ex is effectively homeless right now.

I'm sure he's with his new mistress.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my son he's not going on his senior class trip if he doesn't show up to his brothers graduation?

quote:

My three kids all have graduations this week.

One high school, one elementary and one preschool.

My high school son Liam said he has zero interest in going to his younger brothers' graduation because it's "lame." I said his brothers are going to his and it's more work for them to go than for him to go to theirs.

Yesterday he said he's still not going. I said okay then you're not going on your senior trip to the Bahamas next week. He walked away without saying a word and went to his mom's. His mom then texted me about my being petty. I told her to mind her business. This has nothing to do with her. This is between our son and my other sons (half brothers to Liam).

I texted him information about the graduations and haven't heard back. If he doesn't show up then I'll cancel his little school trip. He can go to his mom and she'll lie about how she doesn't have the money.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA because I want my stepdaughter to live with her mom for a while?

quote:

My husband and I have a 14 years old daughter together(let's call her Maisie). He also has a 17 years old daughter with his ex(let's call her Danielle)

For some reason Danielle hates Maisie. It's like she hates sharing her dad with anyone. She never accepeted me or Maisie in her life eventhough I've been in her life since she was 1.

My husband bought a car for Danielle when she turned 16. We asked her if she could take Maisie to school with her because their schools are close but she refused to do so. That's not a problem . The problem happened yesterday

Maisie walks to school everyday. Yesterday she sprained her ankle in her way back home. She saw Danielle driving by and waved for her to stop. Danielle stopped and asked her if she is hurt. She said yes. Danielle said ok and left. SHE LEFT.

Maisie had to walk back home like that.

I was seeing red when I heard what happened. To be honest I can't tolerate her behavior anymore so I asked my husband to just send her to live with her mom for a while. This is not the first time that she did something like that and I'm so tired of her.

My husband of course thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for suggesting that

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

i am a moron posted:

One of the stupidest things I’ve ever read in this thread. Worst negotiator ever and decided to just lie some more as a way to fix his problem lmao
I just like that he says it'll take all his skills to keep this going for "a few years".

There's no way in hell a dude who's this into his car is going to be able to be patient and keep it quiet for years on end. He might make it a month before he decides to start repairing the car on the sly, suddenly spends lots of time at his mom's, etc.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Oh god spending 23k you can't afford to lose to buy a car that doesn't even run. What is wrong with people?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA because I want my stepdaughter to live with her mom for a while?

This woman's comments are particularly despicable. She does not remotely hide that she loving hates this child and massively favors her own. You could drive a train through what's missing in this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Midnight Voyager posted:

This woman's comments are particularly despicable. She does not remotely hide that she loving hates this child and massively favors her own. You could drive a train through what's missing in this story.
There's no way Danielle will just arbitrarily dislike Maisie to the point of leaving her in danger, you're right. I've got the strongest suspicion we're past the point of seeing competition for affection, and acting out for it.

From being the Danielle in a fairly identical situation as a kid, I was in the way and everyone knew it. My stepmother hated my guts, and told me so in private many times. The feeling was mutual, and while I adored my stepsister, there were times where I knew what she represented (and that she was my replacement) and I couldn't help but show my frustration at her. That wasn't fair on her.

Thankfully, at seventeen she's probably not that far off from being able to get out of there. Refocus, and concentrate on just having a relationship with her dad. Maybe grow older, see past all the politics and have an organic relationship with Maisie on their own terms.