Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's left? The Court leaving the planet I guess? I don't really even care about that. Like, ok, bye, it's not really gonna effect Annie and Kat much and most people will just get on with their lives just fine.

It's gonna be hacked together for sure. Probably some half-assed talking head segment with Omega. Kat will suddenly decide: "Yeah science good, ethics bad". Lets kill Zimmy and send everyone to space beep boop. Then stuff happens from there. Bonus points if Omega is future Kat or alternate universe Kat who had to deal with Annie's death or whatever. That would be hilarious.

The comic doesn't slowly build things up anymore, it just jumps between plot points without bothering setting anything up in-between. But it's likely still going somewhere for the final conflict or whatever.

Cause like you said, there aren't many options left for conflict. So unless it's something completely out of left field, the pool for antagonists is pretty small at this point.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I didn't even want global conflict in this comic, I wanted cute ghost adventures in Better Hogwarts

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I didn't even want global conflict in this comic, I wanted cute ghost adventures in Better Hogwarts

to be honest, same

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's left? The Court leaving the planet I guess? I don't really even care about that. Like, ok, bye, it's not really gonna effect Annie and Kat much and most people will just get on with their lives just fine.

It's like walking through the neighborhood and seeing the family three streets down and two over that you have never really gotten to know well are moving out. It really doesn't matter unless someone horrible moves in, and even then it's far enough away that you probably don't care that much because there are other things you actually care about more. That's what is going to happen, isn't it, the court leaving to make room for something worse, but whatever because there's more interesting or important things, but it's supposed to be a big deal?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

JuniperCake posted:

to be honest, same

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Really the death spiral started after Mort left.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Is it really better hogwarts?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it was, if increasingly tenuously, better hogwarts until the alleyway scene

at which point it was just regular hogwarts

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I miss the earlier mood of the comic, where students had inexplicably dangerous sleeping rooms and it felt like there was a new adventure around the corner.

There might actually be a direct inverse correlation between how lethal it was to stumble half-sleep in your dorm and how good the story was.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the old court had this air of inexplicable whimsy* that's not really compatible with "the Court" as we see it today.

* the ridiculous dorm rooms, the signs saying "THIS WAY TO THE SECRET HOLDING PENS, VERY HUSH HUSH", the fact that Doctor Disaster is paid a salary

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

when you never actually define your world even if just to yourself you inevitably lose your grip on it, everything becoming either a senseless mess or completely boring

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think we're not privy to what annie and kat been doing or thinking because we been attached to loup and his perspective pretty hard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Y'know, I don't hate this page. They're trying to respect Jerrek's wishes and his new identity, but they're also not fully trusting him blindly. Letting Jerrek know they have a cage switch seems like a reasonable precaution.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Randalor posted:

Y'know, I don't hate this page. They're trying to respect Jerrek's wishes and his new identity, but they're also not fully trusting him blindly. Letting Jerrek know they have a cage switch seems like a reasonable precaution.

Why would it be valuable to let *him* know that? Now he knows that if he steals that button, he'll be fine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Why would it be valuable to let *him* know that? Now he knows that if he steals that button, he'll be fine.

don't worry there's a button for that

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

There Bias Two posted:

Unless it's like one of those toddler locks for cabinets where there's a big fake button to hide the real mechanism (which in this case are probably like nanobots Kat as surreptitiously infested everyone with that allow her to observe everything anyone sees)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Kat also says right before it that now that she knows where Jerrek is, she can keep track of him, so it's not like he can really do anything even if he does get the button. The real question is if Annie is going to lord over Jerrek with the threat of the button, making her more villainous and him more sympathetic or if... no, no, considering how the rest of the comic has been going, that's entirely it, isn't it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Randalor posted:

Kat also says right before it that now that she knows where Jerrek is, she can keep track of him, so it's not like he can really do anything even if he does get the button. The real question is if Annie is going to lord over Jerrek with the threat of the button, making her more villainous and him more sympathetic or if... no, no, considering how the rest of the comic has been going, that's entirely it, isn't it?

She's might be accused of doing it and accept the criticism because she thought about it or something, but she can't actually do it because that would involve her exhibiting agency.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Panel 6 has me terrified were about to see The Worst Trans Metaphor Ever.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm not a fan of Kat getting vague omniscient, omnipotent magic powers. I know she said it was grounded in the Court tech, and you can extrapolate out that the Court is an organism and she's made herself an extension of that, but I guess I'd be more interested in seeing the implications of that played out more.

Like Kat justifying why she can tell every single missing robot has been spit out of the earth at a distance and instantly. Some technobabble about nano machine clouds being her remote view and scanning robot registry records? It doesn't have to make sense if it plays up Kat internally justifying how all this makes sense ~mundanely~ even if it is clearly an expression of etheric power and her budding godhood. It plays better into how she's downplayed and dismissed obvious supernatural stuff around her before. Or do the more menacing "Annie... I just know now." in a way that's not clear but also puzzling to both Kat and Annie?

As it is, it's another "Hm, weird. Oh well!" moment that feels super out of sync with earlier moments, like when they got Coyote's tooth and it flashed back to them running a gamut of tests on it to demonstrate how well the blade cut.

Like the earlier comparison to Hogwarts isn't quite 1:1 to me, but both stories certainly had a clear "This is strange. Something is up. We need to find out what!" thing to it before. Gunnerkrigg maybe less so, but this is all so weirdly low energy and disinterested in all the suss things going on around the main characters.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: "Hm, weird. Oh well!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I feel another anticlimax coming on.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I didn't even want global conflict in this comic, I wanted cute Mort adventures in Better Hogwarts

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At this point I'm just waiting for the reveal that the Court was just waiting for Kat's ascension to use the convenient connection to her brain and make her the power source for their escape from this reality. Hell, Kat even said they approached her family and tried to convince her personally to go.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randalor posted:

At this point I'm just waiting for the reveal that the Court was just waiting for Kat's ascension to use the convenient connection to her brain and make her the power source for their escape from this reality. Hell, Kat even said they approached her family and tried to convince her personally to go.

Or maybe they just won't care and they've just been giving Kat all this support for no real reason and it will have no consequences

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Niavmai posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: "Hm, weird. Oh well!"

If we're due for another thread title (and I still regret advocating for anything past "The Plot Thinens", so take my opinion with a grain of salt) this is a very good candidate.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im confused as to why the cast is calling loup jerrak, seeing as loup himself even in this weird teen wolf romance form has never denied his own identity in lieu of his "undercover" one

like hell, this entire scene was started by loup coming clean about who he "actually" is!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Splicer posted:

Panel 6 has me terrified were about to see The Worst Trans Metaphor Ever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A big flaming stink posted:

im confused as to why the cast is calling loup jerrak, seeing as loup himself even in this weird teen wolf romance form has never denied his own identity in lieu of his "undercover" one

like hell, this entire scene was started by loup coming clean about who he "actually" is!
Loup is his dead(goose)name.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
“We knew you were Loup all along”
“How did you know?”

One hour later: “I now see that you are no longer Loup”

???

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Threw me for a Loup

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Not a lot to say about this page. Things are happening and they mostly have nothing to do with Loup so that's nice

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a nice, simple, "show, don't tell" page. They're collecting the chips from the robots, transporting them and presumably going to make them meat bodies.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

which we already know is the process. it's a whole page showing us stuff we've already been shown except now everyone's doing it a little faster

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is a page that no one would notice if reading the whole thing through instead of update-by-update, tbh. Nothing wrong, just connective filler.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t mind being shown things I already know if the art is good. I liked that Jones chapter

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah there's nothing wrong with this. The only reason it might feel bad is because the comic has often been missing "pacing pages" like this where it would have benefited from them, so its inclusion now feels sudden, especially when we still have so many unresolved questions and frustrations with the ongoing events.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Another comic with an emphasis on "show, don't tell"? What happened to Tom and how can we keep him like this?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
the blushing's a bit much

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Randalor posted:

Another comic with an emphasis on "show, don't tell"? What happened to Tom and how can we keep him like this?

it's just pictures of stuff that's already been extremely established without any dialogue in them, come on man

this isn't show don't tell, it's stalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's yet another example of something the plot is setting up as a big deal - Kat being worshipped by the robots and new people as a machine god - actually amounting to absolutely nothing, and making the reader feel gaslit for assuming it would have been something