Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
e:wt

19 o'clock has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My immediate next door neighbors are selling their house and moving to the suburbs because they just had a second kid. They moved there less than three years ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Allegheny county should have unified school district but lol . hahah

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Developers here are taking those small city houses and combining them to make more money

Two small 1890s rowhouses combined into one "luxury" home

So you can't even buy a small city house anymore.

I dont think row houses exist here in Chicago. What they do instead is put another story on top. I could see it making sense for a family of four+

Apr 7, 2003

Another thing they're doing here is taking these rowhouses in old walkable neighborhoods and turning the entire first floor into a garage, because carbrain is terminal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Another thing they're doing here is taking these rowhouses in old walkable neighborhoods and turning the entire first floor into a garage, because carbrain is terminal

Probably a result of these flippers hearing "but where will I charge my Tesla?" a million times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the same thing is happening in Philadelphia

those row house tho do need to be updated. most of the floor plans are not popular even ignoring ideological issues

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the same thing is happening in Philadelphia

those row house tho do need to be updated. most of the floor plans are not popular even ignoring ideological issues

Every single rowhouse I saw on the south side that was "updated" was completely hosed up by the update, because they're trying to jam double vanity basins and walk-in closets into spaces that aren't large enough to support them.

One of them ended up with two bedrooms upstairs, one bathroom captive to the main bedroom, and the stairs to the third floor were captive to the second bedroom. Just a total loving mess, but they got the HGTV touches.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"On Sweet"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
What does it mean if a country's mortgage debt is higher than its GDP? Is it, hypothetically, good or bad?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What does it mean if a country's mortgage debt is higher than its GDP? Is it, hypothetically, good or bad?

In a service economy, that debt is value and that means the economy is booming. It's even better when you can package and resell that debt at a higher value.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

that means financial services went up, which is good for gdp

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

oh good everything's going to be alright then :)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

quote:

Los Angeles: The city of dreams, where $245,950 gets you an old one-bedroom apartment that sits over a bridge. Or tucked under, depending on where youre standing.

When viewed from the side along the banks of the stream that run underneath it the 462-square-foot apartment looks like it sits over a bridge, since theres a concrete archway underneath it.

The first weekend I did soft open houses for an hour on Saturday and Sunday each, we got 40 to 50 groups, listing agent Douglas Lee from Compass told Insider. This past weekend we probably had the same, if not more viewers.

Although the house has only been on the market for 13 days, Lee says that hes already received offers for the property.

Weve got over 10 offers were way above list price. There are a lot of cash offers on the table, Lee added. And we still have continuous calls from buyers and agents.

https://boredbat.com/rundown-los-angeles-house-over-public-bridge-on-market-for-250000-draws-40-groups-at-open-house/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
looks like the perfect place for an earthquake.

Apr 7, 2003

$380K townhouse here

where are the loving window frames? What is going on here

why do these curtains look like lovely swim suits

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Guess the current market has broken me because I look at that and think "yeah, that's fine for $380k."

Rooms look to be a decent size, probably doesn't need to be torn down. Beats anything around here for that price.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paradoxish posted:

Guess the current market has broken me because I look at that and think "yeah, that's fine for $380k."

Rooms look to be a decent size, probably doesn't need to be torn down. Beats anything around here for that price.

Same.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

$380K townhouse here

ugh "berber"

sobersally
Jun 8, 2023
ahhh.... the naivetivity and the lack of memory of a 71 year old 3rd grader

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

where are the loving window frames? What is going on here

Trim carpenters are in short supply these days and will charge accordingly, its much less expensive to finish windows with drywall & corner bead. On older houses with plaster & lath this wasnt an option (no metal or vinyl corner bead for plaster walls) so windows had to be finished with millwork.

Just another example of the high level of craftsmanship that used to be standard in American houses :sigh:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
I bid $500k.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah first reaction is 380K is nothing for a place that size but then you remember it's pittsburgh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

last place that went for under $400k on my street was well under 2000 sq. ft. and is currently in the process of being gutted, because it was an absolute disaster inside

it also hadn't seen any substantial renovation in 40 years and didn't even have ductwork for central hvac. still sold for something like $370k

although it is a very nice house in all fairness, it just needs a very large amount of work to be livable and a lot more work on top of that to be modern

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Yeah but there was some two million dollar place up thread that wasn't any better. On the inside. The Pittsburgh thing is a bummer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/kpottermn/status/1667648375213236225?s=46

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that house must need a lot of work for that price

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

$550k...

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

euphronius posted:

that house must need a lot of work for that price

the shark probably isnt even remotely up to code

Apr 7, 2003

shrike82 posted:

yeah first reaction is 380K is nothing for a place that size but then you remember it's pittsburgh

Its an hour drive out

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm glad that the previous owners support trans rights

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

there was a gimmick someone had for a while where they took a photo of the houses they were selling with a bright pink car always in frame of the first image so that it would gain the attention of anyone looking at online thumbnails.

anyway, that definitely wont continue to compound.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's not in that great of a location

also lol it sold for 164k in 2011

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Number go up forever

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

actionjackson posted:

that's not in that great of a location

there are a non-trivial numbers of houses near me that have gone up on average 100k/year every year for ~15 years, some of them for more than 25 years. owning your house also being a full time six figure job, must be nice

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1668000617485283333?s=20

This lovely Frank Loyd Wright knock-off is almost affordable for CT.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

inside looks v nice tho

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1668040347736326144?s=20

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

So does that include building equity in the home or does it just take into account the cost of renting vs the mortgage cost for the same property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

becoming a kid guy requires you to complain about free time and to find a way to relate everything to parenthood