Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I still can't believe they brought back loving Judas Traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

for a long time i thought Judas Traveller was like, a title or a position or just like the name of an event, like The Judas Traveller, not an actual man named Judas Traveller lmao

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

I still can't believe they brought back loving Judas Traveler.

So one of the things that I hated about Second Coming was it created a super group of anti-mutant baddies (Stryker, Hodge, etc.) that made half of them seem completely superfluous and undercut their individual awesomeness (Hodge in particular).

But for some reason I love the idea of Orchis and I love the idea that they can pull any number of human villains and have them join up. Oh, The Vulture got sand kicked in his face by Wolverine (Laura, obviously)? Guess who's joining Orchis!

I think creating Hydra but instead of Nazis they're a different kind of bigots (also maybe Nazis) is actually a great concept as x-men villains.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if there actually is another Essex clone out there since we just saw that Mother Righteous is a clone of his wife. Or maybe there's a clone of his son. If so, I bet one of them is the Dominion.

Immortal was pretty good even though I don't like the whole Colossus mind control thing. But once more we see Storm missing something that she probably wouldn't have missed before. And Shaw is pretty much working with Orchis.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know why it took till today to dawn on me but it's kinda weird how the X-Men are on this biotech kick since founding Krakoa on top of Orchis having a flower as their symbol and that team of mad scientist botanists early on in the Krakoa run. I think there was also some plant stuff in X-Force, but that book is mid, so I dunno for sure.

If Marvel comics exist the DCU right now, I bet Poison Ivy is tickled pink. Well, pinkish green. Kinda watermelon-y.

I really hope that whatever else happens after Fall of X, Cyclops continues to be cool. I mean Cyclops fans probably liked him before, but it wasn't until he was brought back in Dawn of X that I felt he had stopped acting like someone who is struggling with a job beyond what he was trained for. He's mutant Captain America, expecting him to also be mutant President and mutant social crusader is kind of a big ask.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yea X-Force is all in on biotech for warcrimes.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

But for some reason I love the idea of Orchis and I love the idea that they can pull any number of human villains and have them join up. Oh, The Vulture got sand kicked in his face by Wolverine (Laura, obviously)? Guess who's joining Orchis!

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. I actually think bringing back Traveller as their propaganda/meme war guy is hilarious and cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
righteous being a clone of essex's wife makes her that much less interesting. she's not a minor variant on the same person any more. it ruins the whole bit!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

righteous being a clone of essex's wife makes her that much less interesting. she's not a minor variant on the same person any more. it ruins the whole bit!

same

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm choosing to believe that Righteous merely modeled her appearance on Rebecca, but is still very much Essex. Because I agree making her anything else ruins the whole point and is far less interesting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The counter-point is that the Essex that seems to be far and away the most successful is, at the end of the day, the one that isn't an Essex.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I don't think Essex's ego could handle any clone or successor or whatever being anything other than a clone of him, regardless of who or what the body is cloned after

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Feels kinda obvious for there to be some sort of 5th wildcard clone. Some sort of... Joker?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My only complaint about Scott learning about Kamala's death is that he should've marched right over to Hope and told her to bring Kamala back immediately.

But Emma is a good person to trust to get it taken care of.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Codependent Poster posted:

My only complaint about Scott learning about Kamala's death is that he should've marched right over to Hope and told her to bring Kamala back immediately.

But Emma is a good person to trust to get it taken care of.
Hope is currently in secret "might be Sinisterized" probation, which both Scott and Jean are aware of.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Hope is currently in secret "might be Sinisterized" probation, which both Scott and Jean are aware of.

Oddly, according to Immortal X-Men, this doesn't seem to be stopping her from resurrecting others.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, it's not stopping resurrection. They also have to go through Forge's machine afterwards but Hope can still bring people back.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

glitchwraith posted:

Oddly, according to Immortal X-Men, this doesn't seem to be stopping her from resurrecting others.

This was odd. Didn't they decide that resurrection could continue but someone else would be stepping in for Hope? Why would she be included in the five this time?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Hope can still resurrect people but anybody who's been resurrected is under suspicion and can't serve on the Quiet Council, is the line they seem to be drawing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rochallor posted:

Hope can still resurrect people but anybody who's been resurrected is under suspicion and can't serve on the Quiet Council, is the line they seem to be drawing.

Sure but it still brings up the question of why Hope would be involved in anyone's resurrection- particularly a council member. If there's an option other than Hope, just use that option!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
drat, I really wanted Kamala on the Quiet Council, it's such a perfect and natural fit for her, a mutant.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AzureFlame posted:

Feels kinda obvious for there to be some sort of 5th wildcard clone. Some sort of... Joker?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

danbanana posted:

Sure but it still brings up the question of why Hope would be involved in anyone's resurrection- particularly a council member. If there's an option other than Hope, just use that option!

The whole hitch with the Sinister timeline was that Hope was accidentally filtering out the Sinister gene that Sinister had put there since the beginning. She needed to be temporarily killed to allow it to pop up in the dead council members. If Forge isn't sure he got it out of them he probably also can't be sure he got it out of the database, so anyone else doing Hope's job still ends up in the same predicament, though they aren't putting the same emphasis on that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

danbanana posted:

So one of the things that I hated about Second Coming was it created a super group of anti-mutant baddies (Stryker, Hodge, etc.) that made half of them seem completely superfluous and undercut their individual awesomeness (Hodge in particular).

I think creating Hydra but instead of Nazis they're a different kind of bigots (also maybe Nazis) is actually a great concept as x-men villains.

Like 40% of Orchis personal are from Hydra

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
X-men Red made me go back to flip through the end of X of Swords because I guess I didn't realize what our boy Apocalypse was getting himself into. My first reaction was that Ewing was doing a lot of off page stuff here. And my second was that this is pure Claremont-ian "oh you think I forgot about that?" Good stuff.

Was what was going on with the Amenth stuff ever covered in a book since XoS?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so i guess annihilus is involved with amenth somehow? jeez, let nova fight a different leader of an apocalyptic interdimensional insect horde.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

so i guess annihilus is involved with amenth somehow? jeez, let nova fight a different leader of an apocalyptic interdimensional insect horde.

Nah they were talking about this:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Annihilation_(Earth-616)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's Annihilation, not Annihilus, though as danbanana said you could be forgiven for not remembering a plot point that hasn't come up since late 2020. All I remembered about Genesis was that she had a cool mask and then at some point she didn't.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Annihilation_(Earth-616)

EDIT: dammit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's literally written in the same comic a dozen pages later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought the proper name of an object wouldn't be cut off that way. i forgot that it was also sort of a person.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just have Northstar do a coupla relativistic air strikes on her, next

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was digging through my book shelf looking for a comic to read from when I was a child until well now and I found this one. Mr Sinister!

E: I also found these part 2 of the Psi-War where Psylocke trapped the Shadow King in her mind is on the other side of the bag and board.

E2: I do miss her Crimson Dawn mark and teleporting through shadows. Betsy Braddock is very confusing with the body switches. - I think the only comic character who may be more confusing is Donna Troy in DC.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 18, 2023

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone else feel like they've been overselling the Fall of X lately? Can't decide if that means whatever bad thing is about to happen at the Gala is going to stick and this is all an attempt to sell it, or we are about to get a big swerve. Kind of ready for it to get over with either way.

I'm surprised the "rescue Manifold" subplot in Rogue & Gambit is going to have stakes outside of that book, despite Destiny's involvement. Still not happy about Mother Righteous being a Rebecca clone and not a gender swapped Sinister. Gillen is telling a good story with those characters, but I'm going to continue to stubbornly head cannon that away.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How is Rogue and Gambit? I bought the first couple, but haven't gotten around to reading them.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

How is Rogue and Gambit? I bought the first couple, but haven't gotten around to reading them.

It's been decidedly "meh" for me. I picked it up mainly to get more Manifold and Destiny, and having heard good things about the previous Rogue and Gambit series. In hind-site, I probably should have just read that on Unlimited. I wouldn't call it a bad comic, but there hasn't been enough action or drama to keep me invested, and what little drama was there felt pretty forced. I'll likely finish out the mini-series since there isn't much left to it, and the most recent issue did end on a decent cliff hanger, but it's not a series I'd recommend overall.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really get why they are going it alone? rogue and gambit have a lot of friends and allies that wouldn't much care for a superpower slavery ring.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

They seemed to think they could handle it on their own, at least initially. Plus Destiny maybe swearing them to secrecy? I forget if that was the case, just that she'd asked Rogue to get Manifold for "future" reasons. Also they had a run in with Black Panther in a trademark "heroes fighting because no one wants to stop to communicate" situation, which Gambit ended by putting a random civilian in peril, betting T'Challa would save her in time and allow them to get away. Which was accurate, though seemed out of character for him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
destiny told rogue to do it herself (somehow), but then gambit came along anyway. so what difference would it make to call up someone with relevant skills or knowledge? neither of them is really equipped to handle any of this and it hasn't been going well.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

destiny told rogue to do it herself (somehow), but then gambit came along anyway. so what difference would it make to call up someone with relevant skills or knowledge? neither of them is really equipped to handle any of this and it hasn't been going well.

To be fair, they did briefly go to Forge for some help, but I get your point. Honestly, I'm not sure I believe they aren't equipped to deal with this, as they are both very powerful and experienced X-Men. They are no worse off than any other solo mutant or small team book. And it isn't exactly out of character for these two to take risks. If the plot where executed a little better, I don't think we would question it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm not sure how I'm feeling about these issues moving into Fall. I hated the First Strike issues and the two recent ones are both well-written but also... a bunch of talking heads? Solid revelations in both Apocalypse and Sinisters, but also both were framed around two people retelling their past. Very much the same structures, even to the final "reveals." Also, the publishing timing of these seems out of order with issues from the last few weeks. Maybe it's intentional that they had Selene show up in Immortal before they explain how she got there and maybe it's intentional that the last issue of Red seemed to be missing a lot of info on what was going on in Amenth that only now makes sense. Or maybe not.

I did very much like the further exploration into Apocalypse and Genesis. Ewing did a great job of tying up a lot of big questions about that whole thing. Good twist on why Genesis went over to Amenth. Good characterization of Apocalypse-as-Dad that fits into his whole thing. I didn't love the attempt to explain why Genesis was going to Earth/Arrako to gently caress poo poo up, though. I'm not sure why the witch's revelations would convince her to do that.

X-Men 24 had some fun stuff with Kid Cable because I very much like Orchis as villains and seeing the big guns together is nice. The Jean-Scott thing is apparently upsetting folks and maybe for good reason. Scott's issue with Arrako doesn't really pass muster if you think about it too hard in light of what's been done with Krakoa. It's literally the same thing just further away?