Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

IIRC Trevorrow's Episode 9 script at one point has Commander Hux commit ritual suicide by lightsaber and the script direction for his death includes the so-brazenly-stupid-it's-brilliant description, "He lost the star war."

Not that it didn't have massive problems of its own, but we should have gotten that movie.

That line is awful, but Hux being a useless dweeb who keeps trying to force-push coins across his desk, but can't (because he's a useless dweeb) is amazing, and a great way to show how pathetic the First Order really is.

Other amazing poo poo in the Treverrow script:
Rebels getting executed by laser-guillotines

Ghost-Luke constantly dunking on Ren for being a dumbass whilst also trying to bring him back to the light. At one point Ren takes a swing at him, and ghost-luke catches the lightsaber with his bare hands, and holy poo poo can you imagine seeing that in a crowded theater? people would have lost their minds.

Chewie throwing a Knight of Ren off a skyscraper and blowing him up like he's clay pigeon shooting.

Finn actually getting to do stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asterite34 posted:

I always kinda liked Ghostbusters 2. Is it a blatant cash grab rushed out to capitalize on the success of the first one? Yes.

I'd hardly call it "rushed out". It was made, and is set, five years after the first movie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That line is awful, but Hux being a useless dweeb who keeps trying to force-push coins across his desk, but can't (because he's a useless dweeb) is amazing, and a great way to show how pathetic the First Order really is.

Other amazing poo poo in the Treverrow script:
Rebels getting executed by laser-guillotines

Ghost-Luke constantly dunking on Ren for being a dumbass whilst also trying to bring him back to the light. At one point Ren takes a swing at him, and ghost-luke catches the lightsaber with his bare hands, and holy poo poo can you imagine seeing that in a crowded theater? people would have lost their minds.

Chewie throwing a Knight of Ren off a skyscraper and blowing him up like he's clay pigeon shooting.

Finn actually getting to do stuff.

That would be fun, but I'd also immediately start wondering why Obi-wan (and later Yoda) weren't just constantly heckling Vader in ghost form throughout the OT

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I hate to agree with Tiggum, but the movie does establish that there were ghosts before the tower made them more active (isn't the grey lady from the library also supposed to be an older haunting?) Or are you just putting them into the "the tower did it" category?

The scientists studying the theoretical physics of ghosts spent years scouring every report of supernatural activity in New York and couldn't find a single substantiated sighting, or even an event that generated the kinds of readings that they started getting once ghosts actually started appearing right before the tower went active. Clearly ghosts were real and they were successfully measuring something, but the library ghost was something completely unprecedented in their extensive and groundbreaking research.

Then the sequel runs with the premise and demonstrates that the number of actual ghost sightings immediately went back to zero after the tower gets shut down.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

evobatman posted:

I'm not saying that you're a misogynist or a racist if you dislike ep8, I'm just saying that you just happen to agree with a bunch of racists and misogynists.

you seem to be really insightful. what made you so brave and talented to be able to make this point? wow…

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It annoys me talking to people who don’t like TLJ because I’m tired of it but that post sucks rear end and everyone who thinks like that sucks rear end too.

Who gives a poo poo about what the chuds hate get a drat life

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

With TTRPGs at least it lets all the players come to the table with a baseline knowledge of the world without the DM having to infodump their ideas in session 0. Everyone can know what their characters should reasonably know. Only works if there's a consensus on what that is.

Exactly, that’s why I was trying to get at with my first post - canon is more important in an RPG since it’s direct game material, instead of something just to have a nerd fight about.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CelticPredator posted:

It annoys me talking to people who don’t like TLJ because I’m tired of it but that post sucks rear end and everyone who thinks like that sucks rear end too.

Who gives a poo poo about what the chuds hate get a drat life

yeah I’m tired of discourse around it too now that it’s ten years old and society realized Disney bad

however, you know what movie I do like? Scott Pilgrim

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lady Radia posted:

Ah, we have moved on to the "Didn't Age Poorly; Was Never Good" section of the program.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm tired of all these star wars

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is Ghostbusters worth watching in 2023? I've never seen it, though I've seen most of the second one and didn't like it. I'm 39.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Toshimo posted:

Ah, we have moved on to the "Didn't Age Poorly; Was Never Good" section of the program.

:twisted:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Is Ghostbusters worth watching in 2023? I've never seen it, though I've seen most of the second one and didn't like it. I'm 39.

Yes. It’s a funny comedy movie regardless of the other poo poo.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm a die-hard Ghostbusters fan, it's my favorite movie of all time. Even I will say that most Venkman's interactions with women have not aged well.

There's a ghostbusters thread too, btw...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863469

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The movie is good overall but Bill Murray's character is a creep and I get the impression he was putting a lot of his actual personality into the role.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

That would be fun, but I'd also immediately start wondering why Obi-wan (and later Yoda) weren't just constantly heckling Vader in ghost form throughout the OT

Still got that goddamn Jedi sense of decorum that landed us here in the first place

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Scott Pilgrim was fun. I just made sure to not think too much about the main character being a creep and instead laughing at him as he literally fights his insecurities instead of figuratively fighting them.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

Killing Chewbacca and then bringing him back a moment later was maybe the most insulting thing I've ever seen in a theatre.

This is imo the actual worst thing about Rise of Skywalker.

There were at least six instances, maybe more that I'm forgetting, in that movie of a character shown to be dead or dying coming back to life or just not being dead or whatever. Palpatine, obviously, something something clones. Chewbacca, he was on another ship just off screen lmao. Kylo Ren being stabbed Qui-gon style, Rey heals him. C-3PO memory wipe, R2D2 has a backup. Kylo again, falling down a bottomless pit, he climbs out somehow. Rey, getting her life force sucked out, kylo heals her (iirc? I had very much checked out by this point).

It's so transparently emotionally manipulative, especially the Chewbacca and C-3PO ones, that I found it very insulting. When I saw it for the first time in the theater, that was mostly my takeaway - a ton of people came back from death or apparent death. It's such a cheap hack way of trying to instill emotion in your audience, and by the third or fourth one, it's impossible to feel like the conflict has any stakes at all, which makes it very hard to give a poo poo about the climax of not only this movie but the sequel trilogy and the whole saga. What a disappointment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

C-3PO's "death" is so dumb anyways because he's a droid. "Oh, we'll have to reset his memory so he can translate Sith. It's a shame we can't just make a backup of his memory first. Nope, instead of even asking if that's an option, we're going to treat it as though it's a grand noble sacrifice."

... wasn't "Droids get routine memory wipes" a major plot point in 3 to explain why C-3PO didn't remember anything from the prequel trilogy?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Randalor posted:

... wasn't "Droids get routine memory wipes" a major plot point in 3 to explain why C-3PO didn't remember anything from the prequel trilogy?

On that note, did Lucas ever add anything in the special editions or whatever to indicate Vader recognizes his old droids?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Scott Pilgrim was fun. I just made sure to not think too much about the main character being a creep and instead laughing at him as he literally fights his insecurities instead of figuratively fighting them.

Isn't Scott being a creep like

the entire point of his arc? He's a creep and a loser and is actively called out by basically all of his friends, and the climax is him realizing 'wow I suck' and then rushing through the redemption because they didn't have time to adapt like five more books worth of content

I know the movie deffo cut it short and left out a lot of him actually becoming a decent person but I don't feel like it was anything but explicit that Scott really fuckin sucked

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did Darth Vader ever see C-3P0 and R2-D2 in the original trilogy? He may have thought C-3P0 was just a protocol droid with Pincess Leia if he didn't see R2-D2.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Randalor posted:

Did Darth Vader ever see C-3P0 and R2-D2 in the original trilogy? He may have thought C-3P0 was just a protocol droid with Pincess Leia if he didn't see R2-D2.

Doesn't he on Bespin?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Doesn't he on Bespin?

I'm not sure if that counts, wasn't C-3PO was a pile of parts by the time Vader appeared?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ishikabibble posted:

Isn't Scott being a creep like

the entire point of his arc? He's a creep and a loser and is actively called out by basically all of his friends, and the climax is him realizing 'wow I suck' and then rushing through the redemption because they didn't have time to adapt like five more books worth of content

I know the movie deffo cut it short and left out a lot of him actually becoming a decent person but I don't feel like it was anything but explicit that Scott really fuckin sucked

It's lampshaded from the get-go, but it's still uncomfortable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if that counts, wasn't C-3PO was a pile of parts by the time Vader appeared?

He was Chewie-s backpack when they froze Han

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's lampshaded from the get-go, but it's still uncomfortable.

no seriously like the entire point of the movie is that Scott is a total shithead and it’s really, really not subtle at all about it (unless you count the fact that he’s played by Michael Cera who’s usually quirky but innocuous). I just rewatched it for the first time in a while last week and literally every single scene until the finale is Scott making things worse by being selfish and oblivious. The movie literally opens with him grooming a seventeen year old and everyone else calls him out on it. There’s no subtext involved.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

This is imo the actual worst thing about Rise of Skywalker.

There were at least six instances, maybe more that I'm forgetting, in that movie of a character shown to be dead or dying coming back to life or just not being dead or whatever. Palpatine, obviously, something something clones. Chewbacca, he was on another ship just off screen lmao. Kylo Ren being stabbed Qui-gon style, Rey heals him. C-3PO memory wipe, R2D2 has a backup. Kylo again, falling down a bottomless pit, he climbs out somehow. Rey, getting her life force sucked out, kylo heals her (iirc? I had very much checked out by this point).

It's so transparently emotionally manipulative, especially the Chewbacca and C-3PO ones, that I found it very insulting. When I saw it for the first time in the theater, that was mostly my takeaway - a ton of people came back from death or apparent death. It's such a cheap hack way of trying to instill emotion in your audience, and by the third or fourth one, it's impossible to feel like the conflict has any stakes at all, which makes it very hard to give a poo poo about the climax of not only this movie but the sequel trilogy and the whole saga. What a disappointment.

you did forget at least one, Poe's racist backstory lady has her planet blown up and everyone assumes she's dead and then Oh My!? Can It Be? It Is! she comes back during the climax

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Alaois posted:

you did forget at least one, Poe's racist backstory lady has her planet blown up and everyone assumes she's dead and then Oh My!? Can It Be? It Is! she comes back during the climax

God I completely forgot that character existed. But yeah, I knew I must've forgotten at least one. I think I remember counting nine when talking to my friends about it on our way back from the theater but I have no idea what the other two would be.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rockman Reserve posted:

no seriously like the entire point of the movie is that Scott is a total shithead and it’s really, really not subtle at all about it (unless you count the fact that he’s played by Michael Cera who’s usually quirky but innocuous). I just rewatched it for the first time in a while last week and literally every single scene until the finale is Scott making things worse by being selfish and oblivious. The movie literally opens with him grooming a seventeen year old and everyone else calls him out on it. There’s no subtext involved.

The movie version is a little muddled because Edgar Wright didn't really get it and wanted to end with Scott and Knives getting together at the end. The comic does the arcs for all of the characters a lot better since it has way more space to develop things instead of rushing from fight to fight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lady Radia posted:

Me too it’s dope

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

The movie version is a little muddled because Edgar Wright didn't really get it and wanted to end with Scott and Knives getting together at the end. The comic does the arcs for all of the characters a lot better since it has way more space to develop things instead of rushing from fight to fight.

Ultimately it didn’t end with then getting together so maybe he…got it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CelticPredator posted:

Ultimately it didn’t end with then getting together so maybe he…got it?

He shot it. It's in the deleted scenes on the DVD. Test audiences were like WTF DUDE so hard he was forced to change it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

It’s ok. Melissa McCarthy does a good job and Chris hemsworth does a great job as the vapid eye candy. It’s over long though and based heavily on nostalgia. I’m 26.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

we got something similar in the boba fett show, in what was one of the very few memorable moments of that show

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oldpainless posted:

It’s ok. Melissa McCarthy does a good job and Chris hemsworth does a great job as the vapid eye candy. It’s over long though and based heavily on nostalgia. I’m 26.

1) more like oldoldless
2) learning people on here were like 12 when they registered makes me feel sad.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I saw Ghostbusters 2016 in a movie theater but when I tried to rewatch it later I found it completely unbearable

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Speaking of sequels that gloss over the original ending and are a big mess all around, did anybody watch the second Kingsman movie?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't but the second Nutty Professor makes that mistake, alongside many others, by forgetting that Buddy's last words in the first movie were words of acceptance of his fate and encouragement of Sherman. After a huge fight and trading insults, his last words were simply "No matter what, no matter what, you've GOT to STRUT!". The sequel reverting him to purely against Sherman just felt like lazy writing, although I liked Cletus' subplot in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
loving lol The King's Man ending