Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The first episode is great, there are so many little "stylistic callbacks" to the early seasons which feel like a clear result of the creative process that took place in the podcast. I like it. I feel like this is going to be a very good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mildest possible spoiler

I genuinely thought they were going to just let Charlie drop that he wasn't 40 yet and move on from there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

didn't watch yet cause uhm, so maritime re-distribution sites have been slow (it's up now all over the place, for whom it may concern) but I definitely was very curious to see how the podcast will affect the show, I'm actually quite optimistic it will be a very good season due to the podcast and the sort of perspective it gives the gang about the show, so yay.

Haha last night I went checking a bunch of outlets I don't usually and had the realization they're all pulling from the same well, like even latest releases and stuff seemed to be synced across seemingly unrelated sites. It makes sense I guess since they're usually pulling from the same file upload sites in turn, but just kinda funny how consistent they were especially compared to paid streaming sites that can't even figure out a working interface for their poo poo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Fun start of the season. I’m glad Danny is still in the show but you can def see his age. He’s still always funny (and sometimes sleepy).

I think I like the second one more of the two as frank and his gun is always great. Plus the moms.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I still don't think we'll ever see Luther on the show again, so it was good seeing Gregory Scott Cummins make it on the show another way.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Show still funny but for some reason the look/lighting of the show feels a lot more like “generic sitcom” than it used to. It’s been trending this way for a while but it feels even more pronounced this season

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Khanstant posted:

but just kinda funny how consistent they were especially compared to paid streaming sites that can't even figure out a working interface for their poo poo.

Yeah it’s kind of funny, my wife was rewatching the series finale of True Blood last night and we noticed that the copy we had had a nasty audio desync going on, but I was able to swap it out with a better copy in like five minutes. Meanwhile we could never get the HBO MAX site (or MAX or whatever it is now) to reliably work in common browsers like Chrome and Firefox.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Show still funny but for some reason the look/lighting of the show feels a lot more like “generic sitcom” than it used to. It’s been trending this way for a while but it feels even more pronounced this season

They really want that award

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yea, they seemed to fully adopt that glowing look that network sitcoms started using around 2012ish. It was super jarring.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The running joke in the first episode of Mac swelling up because of the nuts was so loving funny. So excited for the rest of the season.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

No Dignity posted:

They really want that award

exactly. every episode looks like that episode now

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
what a move it would have been to stay 4:3 SD up through now

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Scott Forstall posted:

what a move it would have been to stay 4:3 SD up through now

I'm fully on Charlie's side with this. 4:3 SD is way better than everything glowing. This kind of lighting has kept me from wanting to touch most recent shows.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
nuts

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap I remember those turtle pies, they were great. I've even still got some of the stickers that came with them:

:corsair:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

didn't watch yet cause uhm, so maritime re-distribution sites have been slow (it's up now all over the place, for whom it may concern) but I definitely was very curious to see how the podcast will affect the show, I'm actually quite optimistic it will be a very good season due to the podcast and the sort of perspective it gives the gang about the show, so yay.

Glad it wasn't just me. Thought I was going crazy or that my system was broken somehow, or even worse, that people just didn't care about Sunny anymore :ohdear: Glad it was just a glitch in the Matrix.

checkplease posted:

Fun start of the season. I’m glad Danny is still in the show but you can def see his age. He’s still always funny (and sometimes sleepy).

I think I like the second one more of the two as frank and his gun is always great. Plus the moms.

The gang are starting to look pretty ancient, while Frank hasn't changed in like 5 seasons.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I noticed that too. Assuming it's something to do with them just using the same equipment as other shows now VS the more cheapy gorilla filmmaking of earlier seasons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really enjoying the mix of Charlie being both smart and dumb in these episodes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really enjoying the mix of Charlie being both smart and dumb in these episodes.

Keep it crypto.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they opened themselves up to some more possibilities with his character after last season's reveal that he wasn't actually illiterate, he just only knew Gaelic(?) not English. Doesn't explain the Pirate Door gag but that's one of my favorite scenes in the whole show so I'll allow it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

I noticed that too. Assuming it's something to do with them just using the same equipment as other shows now VS the more cheapy gorilla filmmaking of earlier seasons.

Charlie spotted.

And yeah, the lights need to go down in the bar

I think Frank is still looking great while the gang are showing their age more and more because they're all trying to do the Hollywood thing, while Frank really does just look like a troll.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
God drat the second ep is so much better, frank rules

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I liked first ep better than two, and obviously the people who think different are wrong and destroying sunny and are very problematic. Sunny should be like I want not you jerks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Mac with those nuts is some of the best comedy they've done in years.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Super Deuce posted:

Keep it crypto.

That's money talk

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Mac with those nuts is some of the best comedy they've done in years.

The episode tricks you into thinking that Dee is going to be doing the physical comedy / sight gags with the hand glue. Then swerves you with Nut Mac. It was wonderful seeing it unfold.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Mac, we'll take you to Costco and you can die there, okay?"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

The episode tricks you into thinking that Dee is going to be doing the physical comedy / sight gags with the hand glue. Then swerves you with Nut Mac. It was wonderful seeing it unfold.

Only disappointment was that they didn't chisel her hand off of the wall so she was stuck with one door hand and one wall hand for the rest of the ep :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will glue a pillow to the wall because I don't want to be a bad host.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I will glue a pillow to the wall because I don't want to be a bad host.
Line of the night.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice they got the same actor who plays Luther to play Donald! Also, that moment was incredible.

holy poo poo

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
two great episodes, liked the first one more I think but both great. Sunny is back!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Line of the night.

Really hoping it was an ad lib. We'll find out when we get here in the podcast in 2028.

Oh! They said they might record themselves breaking an entire episode, hope they did that as well it would be interesting to hear.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Macrame_God posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice they got the same actor who plays Luther to play Donald! Also, that moment was incredible.

:wow: I was impressed the actor was able to sound like him, but I never would have caught that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was neat they got an actor that looked like he could have been related to Luther IRL, but didn't pick up on it being the actual same guy until it was mentioned here.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Both episodes were solid episodes. Like real good episodes.

I feel like Danny Devito couldn't keep it together sitting on the inflatable furniture, pretty sure he was clearly breaking when Mac / Dennis were pitching their business plan.

Should be a lot of funny bloopers with them and the inflatables.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every time Mac's mom shows up I have to text my sister because she's basically our mom, with the looking like an old Dutch lady, the smoking, and the pooping. Good times.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Really solid start to the season. They seem to be leaning more (probably because of the podcast) into little moments between characters and their dynamics more than having the situation be the driving force for the comedy, which I love and I think it's when the show is at its best. That they can still put out such consistent quality into the 16th season of the show is pretty astounding. I wasn't too big a fan of the last season but I'm looking forward to the rest of this one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only found out the show was back and caught up on the first two episodes and goddamn they hit them both out of the park. The 1-2 Punch of ".....nuts....." and "Frank Shoots Every Member of the Gang" back-to-back was incredible.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Their writing for Dennis is fairly mediocre so far. His phone slam was good in the cold opening, as was checking Mac's pulse, but I don't recal any other funny bits from him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So glad this show is back.

https://i.imgur.com/rn46jk0.mp4

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I had no issues with Dennis in these episodes, it was more season 5 dennis who tries to be a reasonable mediator than latter seasons Dennis who can't hold it together and I think that's fine, the scenes where the gang is dealing with one another conspiratorially are great and feel like a callback to classic scenes from 'Mac is banging the waitress', Mac was also reduced to a background gag in the first episode and that's also fine really he got more spotlight moments in episode two, I'm sure that we're going to get a more Dennis centric episode and I'm convinced that we're going to have at least a few 'untethered' moments. Now I know I'm also projecting a poo poo ton into these two episodes due to the podcast but it felt to me like they managed to be focused and snappy in a way that quite a few episodes from the past few seasons failed to be.