Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

small butter posted:

But isn't the primary accusation not that Trump simply took the documents without understanding what he was doing, but covering it up and not giving them back when the FBI asked him politely to do so?

What defense do you expect them to make?

Trump is saying he's been indicted by the DoJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, trump has actually provided a valuable public service in showing the world what the symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder look like.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Because you missed me :kiss:

Are these the only ones? That's why I was looking for the Cook article. There are plenty of gerrymandered states elsewhere that I'd hope this would affect. Maybe Ohio could be revisited?

This decision only impacts racially gerrymandered districts. That means it'll most affect states that have high non-white populations, such as the southern states.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Also that level of racial gerrymandering only works because white people in the south vote like 90% republican. The voting rights act still requires other states to draw majority-minority districts (this court ordered majority Hispanic district in Illinois is always used as an example of gerrymandering) but it doesn't affect the partisan makeup of the house as much when white people aren't voting as a block to deny everyone else representation.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1666955805893984256?s=20

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
James Watt also died (on May 27 but announced today)

Not bad for one day.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ayo what is up with his forehead b

that mothafucka look like he'd win the muay thai championshp for sure

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I hope he likes Pineapples. A lot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some of you may recall that Trump's appointee to run Voice of America was seen as attempting to deteriorate its editorial independence; an independent investigation was recently publicly released revealing how hard he'd gone in trying to purge the place. Topline findings:

quote:

The Review Team found that CEO Pack abused his authority when he:
  • improperly suspended the security clearances of six senior executives and another management employee and placed them on administrative leave without a legitimate basis after they made protected disclosures, thus violating Presidential Policy Directive 19 (PPD-19);
  • attempted to debar the Open Technology Fund to prevent them from receiving any federal funding, in violation of federal rules;
  • violated the International Broadcasting Act of 1994 by attempting to enshrine a provision into grantee bylaws and employment contracts imposing limitations on removal of CEO-appointed board members and presidents, specifically by restricting the grounds for their removal to conviction(s) for a felony or misdemeanor requiring imprisonment; and
  • directed employee-related materials covered by the Privacy Act be sent to individuals outside of the government against the advice of an external law firm that stated this could violate the law.
The Review Team found that CEO Pack engaged in gross mismanagement when he detailed VOA’s Standards Editor into a position with no assigned duties or functions. The Standards Editor was barred from answering questions from
VOA staff regarding editorial standards during this period, and CEO Pack did not allow VOA to backfill this position. CEO Pack provided no explanation for this action.

The Review Team found that CEO Pack engaged in gross mismanagement and gross waste when he spent $1.6 million to engage a private law firm to perform work that did not produce the benefit reasonably expected and could have been performed by federal employees.

The Review Team found that CEO Pack took actions that were inconsistent with the statutory mandate that he respect the networks’ journalistic independence and integrity (commonly referred to as the “firewall”) and other parts of law related to journalistic independence, although those statutory provisions do not clearly define the limits of CEO authority.

The Review Team found that CEO Pack did not engage in gross mismanagement or abuse of authority when he:
  • terminated the presidents of the USAGM-funded networks and the president of the Open Technology Fund;
  • dismissed and replaced the board members that governed the USAGM-funded networks and designated the USAGM CEO as Chairman;
  • revoked all delegated authority from various members of USAGM’s SES and reassigned those authorities to political appointees;
  • removed the Executive Editor of RFA;
  • prohibited several USAGM offices critical to USAGM’s mission from communicating with outside parties without the Front Office’s express knowledge and consent;
  • froze all Agency hiring, contracting, and information technology migrations;
  • repurposed congressionally appropriated funds; and
  • refused to approve applications or renewals of the J-1 visas of non-U.S. citizen journalists participating in the Agency’s authorized Exchange Visitor Program.

The Review Team found that CEO Pack violated laws, rules, or regulations in the following instances:
  • In a directive restricting employee communications outside USAGM, CEO Pack failed to exempt legally protected disclosures such as to Congress, the State Department Office of Inspector General, and the Office of Special Counsel. Thus,
    the directive violated 5 U.S.C. 2302(b)(13).
  • On January 19, 2021 (one day before CEO Pack left office), [CENSORED], a senior advisor to CEO Pack, violated the Privacy Act by distributing investigative materials on six senior executives to non-government individuals.
  • Morvared Namdarkhan (referred to hereafter as Mora Namdar, as she was known professionally), Acting Vice President for Legal, Compliance, and Risk, violated regulations of the National Archives and Records Administration requiring that official business be conducted in a government record-keeping system and that documents be preserved.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 9, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

Some of you may recall that Trump's appointee to run Voice of America was seen as attempting to deteriorate its editorial independence; an independent investigation was recently publicly released revealing how hard he'd gone in trying to purge the place. Topline findings:

oh that's fascinating and also unsurprising

our very own example of a wannabe dictator / coalition of assholes taking a prejudiced state media apparatus and going "you know, what if we make it much worse"

rip the BBC

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also I feel like censoring someone's name but listing multiple jobs they have held is not upholding the spirit of privacy

E this isn't a complaint with mod hat, posting the thing is fine, I'm just going :thunk: at whoever thought this would be privacy protecting

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 9, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Google Jeb Bush posted:

oh that's fascinating and also unsurprising

our very own example of a wannabe dictator / coalition of assholes taking a prejudiced state media apparatus and going "you know, what if we make it much worse"

rip the BBC
It's just incredibly strange to me that they did all of this work on VoA, of all things. The only time I ever think of VoA is as our international propaganda outlet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also I feel like censoring someone's name but listing multiple jobs they have held is not upholding the spirit of privacy

That died with INDIVIDUAL-1, sorry

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hereafter referred to as [CENSORED], as she was known professionally

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's just incredibly strange to me that they did all of this work on VoA, of all things. The only time I ever think of VoA is as our international propaganda outlet.

In practice, US external-facing disinformation propaganda winds up being narrower and not run through VoA. The appointee, Pack, was trying to undo all the structures in place that keep VoA from functioning like other national external-facing propaganda outlets- and stacking it with people aligned with Trump. As with other Trump appointees, his lack of familiarity with the agency meant he wasn't able to accomplish most of what he wanted, but there's still damage done, mostly through dismissed staff.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

E this isn't a complaint with mod hat, posting the thing is fine, I'm just going :thunk: at whoever thought this would be privacy protecting

I'm quoting the report, the name is censored there and idk how to do censor bars in the posting interface. I can see about identifying them, one minute.

edit: done on the second one, because hey hey, NPR disclosed their identity reporting on the report in its unredacted form when they were able to get their hands on it in 2021.

The first one is probably Emily Newman, Pack's chief of staff, but I can't tell for certain.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 9, 2023

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just as long as Trump stays in the race to the bitter end.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

In practice, US external-facing disinformation propaganda winds up being narrower and not run through VoA. The appointee, Pack, was trying to undo all the structures in place that keep VoA from functioning like other national external-facing propaganda outlets- and stacking it with people aligned with Trump. As with other Trump appointees, his lack of familiarity with the agency meant he wasn't able to accomplish most of what he wanted, but there's still damage done, mostly through dismissed staff.

I'm quoting the report, the name is censored there and idk how to do censor bars in the posting interface. I can see about identifying them, one minute.

edit: done on the second one, because hey hey, NPR disclosed their identity reporting on the report in its unredacted form when they were able to get their hands on it in 2021.

The first one is probably Emily Newman, Pack's chief of staff, but I can't tell for certain.

it's (spoiler) (/spoiler) except with brackets instead, for further reference, but again, you don't need to personally do it on a super public article, I'm whining about the author not you

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In other good news, the Minnesota Democratic state party continues to seize the initiative with their trifecta and is passing a pretty good package of pro-labor laws:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/07/minnesota-pro-worker-paid-leave-union

The Gruad posted:

Minnesota’s Democratic governor and legislature has enacted one of the most pro-worker packages of legislation that any US state has passed in decades which includes paid family and medical leave, prohibits non-compete clauses, bars employers from holding anti-union captive audience meetings, and strengthens protections for meatpacking workers and Amazon warehouse employees.

Minnesota’s new legislation mandates paid sick days, allows teachers’ unions to bargain over educator-to-student ratios and creates a statewide council to improve conditions for nursing home workers.

6 days of paid sick leave a year for everyone working more than 28 hours a week (you get 1 hour of sick leave per 30 hours worked up to 48 hours per year), 12 weeks of long term sick/parental leave (only partially paid and I didn't see what the ratio was in the article), banning non-compete clauses (although current ones are apparently able to be enforced) on top of a bunch of other pro labor/union bills seems like a pretty concrete step in improving the lives of every day Minnesotans. They're doing this with mere one vote margin in the state Senate too. How do we get this energy replicated in other Democratic state parties and the national party? Like, what sets Minnesota apart from Michigan or Wisconsin, states with very similar demographics that are to varying degrees to the right of Minnesota policy wise?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

That died with INDIVIDUAL-1, sorry

not wrong

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's (spoiler) (/spoiler) except with brackets instead, for further reference, but again, you don't need to personally do it on a super public article, I'm whining about the author not you

Yeah that works for permeable ones, but I didn't actually know the names because the source was censored.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Some interesting parts

quote:

The Smith-Mundt Act prohibitions apply only to USAGM and the State Department, not the White House. USAGM guidance states that, “USAGM broadcasters have an affirmative obligation to take all steps to ensure that U.S. audiences are not being targeted” by Agency content.102 The guidelines state that, “USAGM broadcasters have an affirmative obligation to take all steps to ensure that US audiences are not being targeted; for example, broadcasters must opt out of boosting content to audiences located in the U.S.”

OCB uses a Spanish translation of VOA's best practices guide, which states that USAGM-funded journalists should “not attempt to reach audiences in the United States. This includes diaspora groups. There are no exceptions, even if the content is in a language other than English, or the groups or individuals are from countries which we reach overseas.” The guide also discusses requests from outside of USAGM to use Agency-funded content: “Ultimately, if it looks like the intent is to ignore the rules—i.e., if the goal is to influence U.S. opinion, or otherwise develop audiences within the United States—then the activity is prohibited.”

In the age of the internet you cannot ensure this. According to a cursory examination on some web app, American visitors make up a large percentage of RFA traffic. If anyone can look, I would be interested to see what percent of RFA's Twitter followers are located in the USA.

quote:

In late June 2020, CEO Pack took action to make government editorials more prominent on VOA's website and to ensure that VOA language services carried them. Given his statutory responsibility to ensure VOA adhered to its legal mandates—which include carrying U.S. government editorials explaining U.S. policy—his directive was within his authority.

How the directive was announced and implemented created friction and antipathy. VOA was not consulted or informed about the decision before USAGM issued a press release on June 24, announcing this directive. Similarly, the CEO's Office also did not give USAGM's Office of Policy—which supported making editorials more prominent— advance warning that a press release was forthcoming.

VOA had technical concerns with ensuring that government editorials were clearly distinguished from news content and did not have an opportunity to work through these concerns prior to CEO Pack's press release. The concerns extended not only to VOA's English-language site, but to dozens of VOA language service websites, as well as to automated feeds that distribute content over social media, such as Facebook Instant Articles. For well over a month, VOA language service content was not clearly distinguished from USAGM editorials on Facebook Instant Articles because both types of content went out over the same automated feed.

“All reputable news organizations keep clear, hard lines between their opinion work and their reporting,” one VOA employee wrote in August. “Without clear labeling and keeping these pieces separated from the social media accounts of our languages, we are deliberately blurring the line between opinion and news.” The VOA employee also raised the legitimate concern that this co-mingling of news with editorials raised the risk that Facebook, for instance, could begin treating government-funded VOA content like it treats state-controlled content from Russia (RT) and China (CCTV).

That would have been proper and right.

I think they should disband USAGM. Can its goals be achieved today without compromising its principles? If it is too bad to be used on Americans and to interfere in domestic affairs, is it right to deploy it against foreigners and interfere in international affairs?

This entire series of affairs illustrates the harmful nature of USAGM. It not only adversely affects the individuals who are involved in its creation and distribution, but also makes it exceedingly difficult to backtrack from any untruths it may disseminate.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Will there be any actual punishment for this beyond "Never work in gov't again"? Which, considering the guy is late 60s according to Wikipedia, seems unlikely anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rscott posted:

Like, what sets Minnesota apart from Michigan or Wisconsin, states with very similar demographics that are to varying degrees to the right of Minnesota policy wise?
Do CA and NY even have all of these protections? I'm thinking they don't. Mainly due to in NY's case, conservative Dems keeping Republicans in some degree of power to block progressive legislation.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

rscott posted:

Like, what sets Minnesota apart from Michigan or Wisconsin, states with very similar demographics that are to varying degrees to the right of Minnesota policy wise?

Does MN have one or two counties to germander all the D votes into like WI? Or a better districting system, a state supreme court that sees a downside in selecting electors vs electors selecting the elected?

People here ate up that tea party poo poo and a lot of the olds still think it's the same party Ike was in.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like to think about who the target of these kinds of ads is. Maybe somewhere there's an incredibly off his rocker right wing loon who saw this and went "I knew it! I knew he was gay for Fauci this whole time!"

Maybe it's targeted toward the voters who propagated and/or laughed at the Trump-Is-Gay-For-Putin tropes, because I saw a ton of that when Trump was president, and even after he wasn't.

I still even see some of those tropes & memes occasionally now.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

rscott posted:

Michigan has also been having some really nice legislative wins recently. We've got an amendment to the state constitution protecting abortion and passed a bill in March banning discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation. I don't know if there's any movement on a similar proposal to this, though, it sounds pretty great.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

rscott posted:

Can't speak for Michigan but here's the godawful gerrymander the GOP cooked up in WI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Wisconsin_State_Assembly_election

The GOP only won 44% of the vote in 2018 and won 63/100 seats in the assembly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Wisconsin_State_Assembly_election

4 years later they win 54% of the vote in 2022 and won 64/100 seats in the assembly.

The WI GOP has literally made it so that the election results don't matter.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

rscott posted:

In other good news, the Minnesota Democratic state party continues to seize the initiative with their trifecta and is passing a pretty good package of pro-labor laws:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/07/minnesota-pro-worker-paid-leave-union

6 days of paid sick leave a year for everyone working more than 28 hours a week (you get 1 hour of sick leave per 30 hours worked up to 48 hours per year), 12 weeks of long term sick/parental leave (only partially paid and I didn't see what the ratio was in the article), banning non-compete clauses (although current ones are apparently able to be enforced) on top of a bunch of other pro labor/union bills seems like a pretty concrete step in improving the lives of every day Minnesotans.

Do any of those protections cover ride-share drivers?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Maybe it's targeted toward the voters who propagated and/or laughed at the Trump-Is-Gay-For-Putin tropes, because I saw a ton of that when Trump was president, and even after he wasn't.

I suspect the Trump-Is-Gay-For-Fauci people and the Trump-Is-Gay-For-Putin people probably have a lot in common beyond shared homophobia, and vehemently hate each other.

Definitely the same "gay is gross" undertone

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I would assume the non compete clauses and the protection from mandatory anti union meetings would apply to ride share drivers and other gig economy delivery drivers but the provisions tied to worker leave and sick days wouldn't because Uber/Lyft drivers aren't considered employees in the sense that they aren't paid an hourly wage. I have not read the text of the bills however so do not consider me an authority one way or the other!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

non compete yes, leave no

https://www.faegredrinker.com/en/in...ccrued%20hours.

quote:

Effective July 1, 2023, the new noncompete law prohibits any post-employment noncompete agreement with an employee or independent contractor regardless of a person’s income, with only two very limited carveouts for certain noncompetes agreed upon (1) in connection with the sale of a business or (2) in anticipation of the dissolution of a business.

quote:

Under the new law, all Minnesota employers, regardless of size, will be required to provide to almost all employees paid family and medical leave for up to 12 weeks with partial wage replacement related to a serious health condition and up to 12 weeks with partial wage replacement related to leave for pregnancy, bonding, safety, family care, or a military member's active-duty service or impending call to active duty in the United States armed forces, with a total combined cap of 20 weeks per year. The only exceptions for coverage are independent contractors, self-employed individuals, federal government employees and seasonal employees.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nice; it's rare to see protection laws for indy contractors, even though there are now more than ever.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Willa Rogers posted:

Almost certainly this.
Anecdotally speaking, I've got a coworker right now who is one of those incredibly Smug Atheist Libs, and he is wholeheartedly convinced that all any republican would need to do to beat Trump is just relentlessly propagate the rumor that he loves gay dick and can't get enough of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

This is basically the right-wing equivalent of Sinema poo poo pandering to people who will never in a million years actually vote for them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

the_steve posted:

Almost certainly this.
Anecdotally speaking, I've got a coworker right now who is one of those incredibly Smug Atheist Libs, and he is wholeheartedly convinced that all any republican would need to do to beat Trump is just relentlessly propagate the rumor that he loves gay dick and can't get enough of it.

Well apparently Desantis agrees so...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its kinda amazing how fast regressives errr regressed back on vanilla gay issues.

oh and even 1960s black and white race issues. the pacific rim joke of halving periods and a double event come to mind.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

its kinda amazing how fast regressives errr regressed back on vanilla gay issues.

oh and even 1960s black and white race issues. the pacific rim joke of halving periods and a double event come to mind.

Those aren't as surprising to me as how fast the MAGA wing of the GOP has flipped from "the party of law and order" to "the FBI is corrupt!" I at least expected more claims of "let's wait and see what the courts/evidence/jury say."

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
“Party of law and order” means and has always meant supporting the excessive use of force on minorities. It has nothing to do with any consistent vision of law or order, especially one that might result in negative consequences for someone on their side.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shimmy shimmy posted:

Michigan has also been having some really nice legislative wins recently. We've got an amendment to the state constitution protecting abortion and passed a bill in March banning discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation. I don't know if there's any movement on a similar proposal to this, though, it sounds pretty great.

Yeah Michigan has been passing a ton of great laws with a similarly thin margin in the state House (56D-54R)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blind Pineapple posted:

“Party of law and order” means and has always meant supporting the excessive use of force on minorities. It has nothing to do with any consistent vision of law or order, especially one that might result in negative consequences for someone on their side.

See also how 'family values' has nothing to do with supporting actual families and everything to do with brutalising women and minorities.

This is pretty much literally every right-wing plank, it's a thin veneer of 'respectable' language as euphemisms for fascism, which somehow liberals still fall for and think the contradiction is 'hypocrisy'.