Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh you better believe I'm excited for the new Superman cartoon. It looks so fun, I'm already on board for six seasons and a movie.

Anyway, Lex Luther is one of my favorite villains of all time because he's just so petty. He's a genius with billions of dollars, he could do literally anything in the world and yet the one thing he willingly chooses to devote the majority of his time to is harassing and occasionally trying to murder the world's biggest altruist out of spite. As funny as his motivation for wanting to kill Superman being because Superman accidentally made him go bald I think their dynamic works so much better if Superman has literally never done anything wrong to Lex Luther. Clark was just flying around one day and Lex looked up and thought "gently caress that guy" and that's it, that's his motivation for spending the next several decades of his life attempting to kill the dude.

Maybe I'm going by Bruce Timm canon here but Lex's reason for loathing Superman in that series is that Superman was generally a more loved figure than himself in the city his money built. And it genuinely drove him mad, that no matter how hard he tried he could never compete with him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SimonChris posted:

There is another Byrne story, in which it is revealed that Luthor's hobby is to offer random women a million dollars to sleep with him and then driving away before they have a chance to decide, so that it will torment them for the rest of their lifes.

Byrne did a great job of making Luthor just the pettiest rear end in a top hat imaginable.

Yes. This. This is the exact level of petty dickishness I love to see Lex Luther written as.

Flopsy posted:

Maybe I'm going by Bruce Timm canon here but Lex's reason for loathing Superman in that series is that Superman was generally a more loved figure than himself in the city his money built. And it genuinely drove him mad, that no matter how hard he tried he could never compete with him there.

This is a more sympathetic approach to the "Lex Luther is a petty rear end in a top hat" characterization, but I feel like this is still a case of Lex Luther being written as a petty rear end in a top hat it's just that the motivation for the pettiness comes from a desire to be loved rather than out of spite. A key component of Lex Luther's characterization is that he has so much, but "so much" isn't enough because it's not "everything". He can't take pleasure in all the things he does have because there exists something he can't have, and he refuses to accept and come to terms with this and instead chooses to be guided by his negative emotions.

Basically Lex Luther would rather be a super villain than go to therapy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
(comic) neerrrrdddsss.

Also I've mention the Superman TAS carbomb episode in another thread, but some more good bits. Kent writes the front page article for the morning edition that's about the cop's execution that evening.

muscles like this! posted:

There was a really funny bit in the Green Lantern animated series where Hal is on the rear end end of the universe and Kilowog makes fun of him for still wearing a mask.

JL(U??) has an episode where Lex and Flash mindswap, and Lex looks under Flash's mask and goes "I have no idea who this is."

also Flash does the most evil thing banging Lex's girlfriend not washing his hands.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yes. This. This is the exact level of petty dickishness I love to see Lex Luther written as.

This is a more sympathetic approach to the "Lex Luther is a petty rear end in a top hat" characterization, but I feel like this is still a case of Lex Luther being written as a petty rear end in a top hat it's just that the motivation for the pettiness comes from a desire to be loved rather than out of spite. A key component of Lex Luther's characterization is that he has so much, but "so much" isn't enough because it's not "everything". He can't take pleasure in all the things he does have because there exists something he can't have, and he refuses to accept and come to terms with this and instead chooses to be guided by his negative emotions.

Basically Lex Luther would rather be a super villain than go to therapy.

Yeah I actually wanted to emphasize that this is just another flavor of petty rear end in a top hat for him. Later on in the justice league he runs for president purely to piss superman off because they just dealt with the justice Lords and he knows there's another universe where if Luther becomes president everything goes to poo poo and he murders the Flash. Didn't even fully expect to win but spent millions to drive Supes into a breakdown.

PhazonLink posted:

(comic) neerrrrdddsss.

Also I've mention the Superman TAS carbomb episode in another thread, but some more good bits. Kent writes the front page article for the morning edition that's about the cop's execution that evening.

JL(U??) has an episode where Lex and Flash mindswap, and Lex looks under Flash's mask and goes "I have no idea who this is."

also Flash does the most evil thing banging Lex's girlfriend not washing his hands.

Even funnier Tala flat out says he was a much better lay than Lex himself and is kinda all over him from that point on.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
A fun part of the Elseworlds comic Red Son is Luthor saving the United States from complete breakdown and leading the world into a golden age purely to spite Soviet Superman.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Poster for 'The Venture Bros: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart’ just dropped

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's beautiful :cry:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Poster for 'The Venture Bros: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart’ just dropped

There's a 4k copy in the venture bros thread I'll link since it's there if anyone wants larger and isn't caught up and wants to read the thread. https://i.imgur.com/0LhZIdI.jpg

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1666516653306265600

Jimmy Pesto going to club fed for seditious activities was not a plot twist I was expecting.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
To be fair I feel like if any character from Bob's Burgers was going to be arrested in connection to the Capitol Riots it would be Jimmy Pesto...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A fun part of the Elseworlds comic Red Son is Luthor saving the United States from complete breakdown and leading the world into a golden age purely to spite Soviet Superman.

One of my absolute favorite (and seemingly lost) SA image edits was Superman's breakdown after reading the note from Luthor at the end of Red Son; the message of "Why don't you put the whole WORLD in a BOTTLE, Superman?" had been replaced with The much more succinct "Superman - You Suck."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Clone High musical episode hits super hard

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s easily the best ep of the reboot so far

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So it's TODAY that new eps of it come out, good to know!

I've been enjoying the reboot so far, with that stress episode being one of the strongest of the initial 4.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm glad it got a two-season order, you can tell the writers are getting better with each episode

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I think the Clone High writers have really started finding their footing with the new season. People have already praised the musical episode, but I just want to express my appreciation for the Psylly Legs episode for having that sweet sweet "All of the characters treat an intrinsically stupid and ridiculous situation with the stone faced seriousness of a teen drama" action I crave. I'm also appreciating how they keep ratcheting up the love triangles and interpersonal melodrama and the utterly nonsensical use of guest stars!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Been meaning to check the clone high reboot out, sounds like the perfect time this weekend

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Warbird posted:

The Clone High musical episode hits super hard

oh poo poo there's a musical episode??

probably a weird time to say I've never actually seen the original Clone High. maybe this is the perfect time to finally check it out

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 9, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Happy Landfill posted:

oh poo poo there's a musical episode??

probably a weird time to say I've never actually seen the original Clone High. maybe this is the perfect time to finally check it out

Even better than this season’s musical episode, the original series has a rock opera episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nikumatic posted:

Even better than this season’s musical episode, the original series has a rock opera episode.

With Jack Black!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

my favorite part about his bit is listing all of the drugs he's been on, which are all just euphemisms and slang for pot.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Larry Hardcore did it all!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nothing I've heard about the new reboot Clone High has made me want to watch it, but I decided to go ahead and give the new musical episode a shot and I was blown away by how slow paced and unfunny it was. I guess I admire the audacity of naming an episode "Some talking but mostly songs" and then having the episode be mostly talking with like four songs? That's really the only positive thing I have to say about it. Oh, and Scudworth stabbing himself was a good gag ("spinning makes it WORSE!") that was the one laugh I got out the whole thing.

If this is the best episode of the show so far then the previous episodes must have been truly terrible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

:getout:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Nah this musical episode was Not Great, and the pacing is my biggest complaint overall with the reboot so far. And honestly most streaming content period. It’s like everyone forgets how to edit. Overall I like the reboot but it feels like something where they’re very much getting their legs under them again and it hasn’t managed to truly learn to run yet. The Heebie Jeebie episode is still my favorite so far and I’d put it on the level of a mid episode from season one.

That said Film Fest: Tears of a Clone or Homecoming: A Shot in the D’arc are episodes I’d recommend to check out from the original run if you just want to sample one or two to see what the fuss is about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nikumatic posted:

Nah this musical episode was Not Great, and the pacing is my biggest complaint overall with the reboot so far. And honestly most streaming content period. It’s like everyone forgets how to edit. Overall I like the reboot but it feels like something where they’re very much getting their legs under them again and it hasn’t managed to truly learn to run yet. The Heebie Jeebie episode is still my favorite so far and I’d put it on the level of a mid episode from season one.

That said Film Fest: Tears of a Clone or Homecoming: A Shot in the D’arc are episodes I’d recommend to check out from the original run if you just want to sample one or two to see what the fuss is about.

Raisin the Stakes: A Rock Opera in Three Acts the musical episode from the original run is also great. It has songs throughout, the special guest star is someone with musical talent that elevates the whole thing, they remembered to put jokes in it, it's got all the stuff the new musical episode lacks.

Speaking of jokes, I went ahead and watched episode 6 of the Clone High reboot and that one actual DID have some some banger gags (the fund raising montage was perfect) but most of it also had the same problems with pacing that the musical episode had. It moved my opinion of the reboot from "awful" to "fine", but like you said they really need to edit some of these scenes down, and give the scripts a second pass to tighten up the writing.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

:yeah:

Just watched episode 6 also and it’s more in line with episode 3: honestly with both old and new I think Clone High is at its best when it’s doing straight faced teen drama plots as absurdly as possible. I do think this reboot series has some really great wild takes and silly animation which works really well for the affliction in episode six. This is really damning it with faint praise and/or burying it with damnation, but the comedy pacing of the reboot gives me severe Disenchantment vibes: another series that I liked just fine but never loved, and which never made me laugh as much as I felt like it should’ve.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Raisin the Stakes: A Rock Opera in Three Acts the musical episode from the original run is also great. It has songs throughout, the special guest star is someone with musical talent that elevates the whole thing, they remembered to put jokes in it, it's got all the stuff the new musical episode lacks.

Speaking of jokes, I went ahead and watched episode 6 of the Clone High reboot and that one actual DID have some some banger gags (the fund raising montage was perfect) but most of it also had the same problems with pacing that the musical episode had. It moved my opinion of the reboot from "awful" to "fine", but like you said they really need to edit some of these scenes down, and give the scripts a second pass to tighten up the writing.

That actually reminds me of a phenomenon that was discussed on the original Clone High production blog back in the day: Wacky Stacks. People have already brought up the joke density of the first season and comedy TV in general back in that era, and this was a problem they noticed could result in the writing room as a result. Basically when they were developing the script someone would pitch a gag, and then someone else would pitch an extension onto that gag, and you'd eventually have people layering additional punchlines and bits on until, at the apex of this process, you'd have what the writing team referred to as a "Wacky Stack" - A joke that has become so bloated under its own weight that it's no longer funny.

I think the other problem that the new season deals with in terms of spoofing teen drama is the fact that the genre of show it's spoofing has become so ridiculous that it's already basically a parody of itself. When the first season came out it was riffing off of shows like 90210 or Dawson's Creek - shows hat are ridiculous, but still within the bounds of conventional logic that you can get humor from lampooning them. In 2023 the landscape of teen dramas is dominated by stuff like Riverdale, a show that has become so much a parody of itself that it's pretty much impossible to riff on in a way that's funnier or more ridiculous than its subject matter. How do you make an over-the-top parody of teen dramas when one of the biggest shows in that genre of the last 5 years has two separate cults are operating in a town at the same time, a family with a genetic predisposition towards serial killers, a 25 year old woman pretending to be a high school student as part of an organ harvesting ring and a cult leader building a homemade rocket ship so he can escape prosecution by going to the moon?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Archie’s Weird Mysteries reboot is gonna but lit

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Oh man, don't even joke about rebooting Archie's Weird Mysteries, I am one of the 12 people alive on the planet who actually, religiously watched that poo poo when it was released!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Say what you will but "Twister - the game - not the movie with Helen Hunt' was a great lyric.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I appreciated that especially because I listen to a podcast about musicals (Musicalsplaining) where they’ve joked more than once about writing a musical based on Twister — the movie not the game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Only found out earlier this week that Clone High started airing...last month. Now I'm all caught up and I agree with what other people are saying that it is serviceable and it is better than nothing, but catching the lightning in a bottle of the original was always going to be difficult.

I saw the first episode when it got leaked at the beginning of the year and I thought to myself "this is fine if you're cleaning the dust off, 20 years is a very long time and a LOT has happened even within just the last 5 years" and I was pleased that the other episodes didn't dwell on all the cancel stuff. They did it. It had its effect on the status quo, and we are off. I am also not the biggest fan of all the violence as gags stuff, but I think that's just an unfortunate aspect of the animation climate now.

I will say this, I like that they are being a lot more open for writing romance scenarios. This isn't 2002 anymore, where you can't show Joan having a sexy dream, and I think they have been writing those scenarios really well (also, the visual gags for those bits have been my favourite part so far). That's an adaptation to the current climate and they've done very well with it.

Now, I want more info on the Mission Hill reboot

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've pretty much only seen Luthor as a businessman stories, and I don't think any comic supervillain businessmen come close, but I do like that in his original roots as a scientist, the reason why he hated Superman was because he made an experiment go wrong and was the reason why Luthor went bald.

I remember them doing this on one of the Superfriends series and it was amazing.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Im trying to like the new Clone High but it's just not great.
I'm also really not into the three new Poochie characters.
These would be good characters to do a single episode but why has every episode so far been centered around them?
Cleo has completely disappeared from the show.
Episode 7 had promise and but never really went anywhere great.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It often feels like it's spelling out things way too clearly, and the newest musical episode had a bunch of things that went nowhere. The White Guy Confidence thing was a gag and a whole song but ended up basically not factoring in at all after it was over. The kiss thing has the characters hearts literally spelling out what they're thinking in a way that's like "hey just in case you couldn't figure out context cues and literal cartoon indicators". There's this overall vibe of "we're tying to teach you things" rather than trying to entertain or challenge.

Clone High with training wheels?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not much of a superman fan either; he tends to be a very static character, not really going through any arcs or changing personally while zany stuff happens in his vicinity. Which actually makes stories focusing on his supporting cast that much more interesting. A lot of the best Superman stories end up pushing him into the background (which he's not the only superhero who can end up being more of a static background piece for other characters play out their stories around, but it happens with him more often than others).

Although I think my favorite interpretation of that tendency is that Superman is actually more of an introvert, just a quiet guy who doesn't really want much attention, and the bumbling awkward Clark Kent is more true to the character than the Superman front.

i wasn't originally a big fan of superman as well because it seemed like he was just a very boring, straight arrow type character. but that was mainly cause my only exposure to him was from shows like superfriends and the random things he was in pre-1970. and to be fair, that wasn't a problem exclusive to superman. most superheroes in cartoons before the 90s had personalities as deep as puddles.

anyway, my opinion of him changed greatly with the introduction of shows like superman: tas and justice league where they humanized him greatly and made him a far more compelling character.

Flopsy posted:

I feel like all the Superman and Batman takes in here are spot on but all I can think of is how badly Bill from Kill Bill boofed it as an analogy he was making to The Bride. Not sure if it was deliberate to try and show how out of touch and sociopathic Bill is but him trying to plead with the Bride that's she's extraordinary and living a humble life is beneath her comes across as him being very stupid. Because he uses Superman as his metaphor and implies the entire time he disguised himself as Clark Kent was to show his contempt for humanity. That he thinks the average human is weak cowardly and nebbish so that's how he has to act to fit in. Meanwhile it's been stated over and loving over again Superman is more the secret identity while Clark is his real face. If he had the option Clark would loving love to live a simple life as investigative reporter who gets to spend the holidays out on the family farm. The times he's the most miserable is when the burden of his power and responsibility is really weighing on him. He's superman because he feels it's his responsibility to be, not because he relishes his power. And nobody ever talks about how hosed up Bill's personal interpretation was. Sometimes I wonder if it was only the character saying that or Quentin using him as mouthpiece for his own weird fan wank theories.

And honestly if he just used Batman the argument would work perfectly well because Batman really does have contempt for the persona that Bruce Wayne puts on.

oh man i'm so glad you mentioned this cause that scene always bugged me :hfive:

the thing is, i can't tell if that scene was supposed to be an intentionally twisted interpretation based on the fact that Bill was saying it, or if it was really how tarantino himself interprets superman/clark and thought it would come off as deep and profound or some poo poo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

the thing is, i can't tell if that scene was supposed to be an intentionally twisted interpretation based on the fact that Bill was saying it, or if it was really how tarantino himself interprets superman/clark and thought it would come off as deep and profound or some poo poo

Almost certainly the former. Bill sees the Bride as Superman pretending to be Clark Kent, pretending to be weak, choosing the Clark Kent persona to be a loser because that's how he sees humanity, etc, etc. This is all what he sees though, and doesn't think it possible that she could be choosing her new life because that's who she genuinely wants to be.

I mean I suppose there's an off-chance that Tarantino just has a terrible read on Superman, but it's far more likely that it's an intentional decision to let Bill have a terrible read on Superman.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 10, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's probably versions of Superman that veer more in that direction, just like how the grimdark screaming Batman that got so popular is very different from the more human interpretations of Batman. I know that in some DC crossover events Superman just kinda acts like a weird god.

There's also a lot of indie comics out there that trade entirely on the idea of writing Superman but imagining what it would be like if he was bad, which like yeah no poo poo it would suck if Superman was bad, that's not really an interesting observation. A lot of Superman's villains basically just amount to what if a bad person similarly got big powers. But for some reason some people just think that if Superman's this big figure in comics then putting the barest little commentary on him would be insightful and relevant.

He's one of those characters people think they know more from background radiation from pop culture rather than consuming media about him directly, so he kind of just takes on a different persona of people's expectations, like how people's expectations of Captain Kirk from Star Trek are this arrogant womanizer when the show tried to write him as sensitive and really dedicated to his job. Since people have an idea of Superman, they feel like they can just fill in the gaps on their own.

I've heard a similar thing with people's expectations of Captain America not matching the actual character's appearances in media, but I never consumed any of his media to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TwoPair posted:

Almost certainly the former. Bill sees the Bride as Superman pretending to be Clark Kent, pretending to be weak, choosing the Clark Kent persona to be a loser because that's how he sees humanity, etc, etc. This is all what he sees though, and doesn't think it possible that she could be choosing her new life because that's who she genuinely wants to be.

I mean I suppose there's an off-chance that Tarantino just has a terrible read on Superman, but it's far more likely that it's an intentional decision to let Bill have a terrible read on Superman.

Bill being completely unable to comprehend that someone might enjoy living a peaceful life and spending time with the people they care about does seem very in character.