Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think I blacked out for a second there, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I see what happened there. They meant to say it worked with NFC, for amiibo, hence buy, tap, collect. But they accidentally typed NFT and they had to go with it because the backspace button got a bug on it

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Just opened my new controller and got an Epic Rare Double Legendary

Still drifts, though

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

God this game owns

It really does. I was just doing the shrine where you have to try and smack a rolling ball into a target and solved it by accident when I tried to attach a square platform to the mechanism that hits the ball. I stuck the platform on a little too close to the ground so when the mechanism swung at the ball the platform: hit the ground, detached from the mechanism, went flying through the air, and directly hit the big target that opened the door.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So this acts like a wired Pro Controller via USB-C and doesn't do anything with the joycon rails?

Yeah, I'd wonder if it supports gyro. The Switch itself, of course, has a built-in gyro, but most games rely on the right joycon gyro and won't function properly because Nintendo made this harder than it needs to be.

I'm also curious if the back buttons are remappable. The Split Pad Pro does remappable buttons pretty well, but since it replaces two joycons you can't remap buttons to the opposite side.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So this acts like a wired Pro Controller via USB-C and doesn't do anything with the joycon rails?

Yeah, I'd wonder if it supports gyro. The Switch itself, of course, has a built-in gyro, but most games rely on the right joycon gyro and won't function properly because Nintendo made this harder than it needs to be.

I was afraid of that gyro issue. This is what they posted on Twitter when someone asked. In another tweet they also said that you don’t have to interact with the nft app to use it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I can't imagine it wouldn't have gyro.
I have a PowerA wireless controller for the Switch which was super cheap (I think I paid $15 for it) and it has gyro.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxyclean posted:

Did you find the secret on the great plateau?
the one involving the statue that leads you to some stuff in the depths.

I suspect this is supposed to be done really early to give you an early upgrade while learning how to build stuff. The way it is set up, it is definitely part tutorial. The quest should have been set off by just talking to the statue in the temple, though. The fact you have a step to do before that is kinda dumb and makes it easily missable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think a lot of folks used "supposed to be done" a lot when there doesn't really seem to be much in the way of that kind of design in the game. Like almost every quest is built in a way that if you do the thing first, then go talk to the person, they go "oh wow you already did it!"

Shrines have multiple answers.

Even the one about the great plateau, I did not go there first. I found the thing in the under dark and then followed the clues up to the plateau. It was totally normal and fine.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What does Nitro mean by "professional?" As in professional Nintendo Switch player?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CainFortea posted:

I think a lot of folks used "supposed to be done" a lot when there doesn't really seem to be much in the way of that kind of design in the game. Like almost every quest is built in a way that if you do the thing first, then go talk to the person, they go "oh wow you already did it!"

Even the one about the great plateau, I did not go there first. I found the thing in the under dark and then followed the clues up to the plateau. It was totally normal and fine.

Yeah, but....finding the one in the depths is kind of natural progression because one of the very first quests in the game sends you there. I went there and explored the top but didn't realize there was a bottom to the mine or I would have found it super early.

The game is set up so you can wander and do whatever. But you can't leave the sky until you do x, x and x. Once you do, you land in front of lookout landing. If you wander around there you get 2 main quests, one to check out the castle which opens the main quest line and the other to go to the depths. If you follow that and then actually explore the big rear end mine you will find the bread crumb for that quest. I'd bet a lot of people do find it early.

It's weird that it doesn't give you a quest until you fulfill the first condition, though. It should give it to you immediately.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Apparently somebody managed to do all four of the Regional Phenomena without talking to Purah first (and therefore not getting the paraglider), and even that has a unique dialog when you do finally talk to her (her response basically boils down to “…you can’t be serious.”)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Apparently somebody managed to do all four of the Regional Phenomena without talking to Purah first (and therefore not getting the paraglider), and even that has a unique dialog when you do finally talk to her (her response basically boils down to “…you can’t be serious.”)

Lol I was halfway to that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If it's like getting all the sages and master sword before doing the phenomenon it's going to be all the words she uses normally with a half assed "oh you did that already?" Tacked onto the end because lol at actually changing dialogue that matters

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My favorite technique that lets you bypass maybe a third of the shrine puzzles is really cheesy and I only use it 'cause I discovered it on my own and I feel proud every time I break a shrine with it: Lift up an object and put it back down. Get on the object. Reverse its time. Basically any puzzle that involves getting up a wall or over a gap that gives you an object to stand on is now solved. Or relatedly for objects that need to get across a gap you can traverse yourself- move the object as close as you can to its destination and then gently put it back down. Go to your destination and reverse its time. Grab it when it gets close.

One of my favorite shrines was fairly early on where you walk in and the goal is right in front of you, but you need a ball to unlock the door. The ball is down a ladder in a room to one side, with the tools to make a car for it. There are like three complicated rooms with their own puzzles that loop back to the starting area. And of course I spent 30 seconds in that shrine lifting the ball up, letting it drop, climbing the latter, reversing the ball's movement and grabbing it when it got close. So satisfying to break when you've figured out on your own how to bypass everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There was a shrine where apparently you are supposed to create a paddle boat. I put the wheels on the side and used them to roll along the walls on the sides to get pushed along.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I built a paddle boat but activated it outside of the water and thus instead ended up with a "slap the hell out of me" robot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Eiba posted:

My favorite technique that lets you bypass maybe a third of the shrine puzzles is really cheesy and I only use it 'cause I discovered it on my own and I feel proud every time I break a shrine with it: Lift up an object and put it back down. Get on the object. Reverse its time. Basically any puzzle that involves getting up a wall or over a gap that gives you an object to stand on is now solved. Or relatedly for objects that need to get across a gap you can traverse yourself- move the object as close as you can to its destination and then gently put it back down. Go to your destination and reverse its time. Grab it when it gets close.

I do this to launch gliders lol. That or set them down unattached to a flat cart

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm excited Sega decided to make good Sonic games again. Hopefully this means they are going to stop making bad Sonic games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Knocked out Tears of the Kingdom, all the shrines, all of the outfits, 140 hours. The ending sequence was terrific and the Final Boss was a major improvement over BotW. Game good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wish the final “dungeon” was a bit longer because I really like the atmosphere in there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

There was a shrine where apparently you are supposed to create a paddle boat. I put the wheels on the side and used them to roll along the walls on the sides to get pushed along.

That's the same shrine as the post above you.

Also the paddleboat is such an amazing game physics flex, among many others in the game, because it feels like it shouldn't work and yet does.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

hatty posted:

Knocked out Tears of the Kingdom, all the shrines, all of the outfits, 140 hours. The ending sequence was terrific and the Final Boss was a major improvement over BotW. Game good

Wow.
I JUST tonight got the 120th shrine in BotW.
I think I'm going to get the DLC just for the extra shrines before I finish it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Forward Force is a really fun one, because the intended solution is cool as heck and pretty clearly signposted, but a lot of people miss it because it doesn't occur to them that a video game would ever let you do that. Also because most of those people still beat it, which shows how many ways there are to break the system with a bit of hustle.

In addition to the solutions above, I've also seen cheesing the ball up to the catwalk in the boat room and just carrying it across, and I beat it by laying the planks across the railing and pushing/dragging the ball along.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

hosed up when you play a game for 200+ hours and immediately want more. Good job Nintendo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Forward Force is a really fun one, because the intended solution is cool as heck and pretty clearly signposted, but a lot of people miss it because it doesn't occur to them that a video game would ever let you do that. Also because most of those people still beat it, which shows how many ways there are to break the system with a bit of hustle.

In addition to the solutions above, I've also seen cheesing the ball up to the catwalk in the boat room and just carrying it across, and I beat it by laying the planks across the railing and pushing/dragging the ball along.

Lmfao I had to look this one up and I just punted the ball upwards a bit then used recall to bring it within ultrahand range. I feel bad now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Might be good? Who the hell knows anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGP7Zy9Bx0

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

looks good imo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I’ve never been a huge mega fan of classic Sonic gameplay, but that does look good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

These are all quite short but:

A Short Hike- great game with no fail-state, that's funny and witty. My game-hating wife adored it and has also put a ridiculous amount of SV despite what I would've imagined. She enjoys Layton games for the puzzles for what it's worth.

Donut County- Katamari like gameplay of making a hole bigger. The final stage was a bit much for my wife, but otherwise she found it funny and cute.

Good Job!- Fun physics puzzler with some decent rear end in a top hat physics.

I know you said no VN's but I can't speak more highly of The Return of the Obra Dinn. It's among one of the most creative concepts I've seen in ages and the Whodunnit nature is very rewarding to crack. It helps if she's got an interest in mystery and nautical things. It's just a fascinating game all around.

Hey this was a very long time ago but wanted to thank you - they're playing The Return of the Obra Dinn and absolutely loving it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
A note about Donut County tho, it's very short, like 2-3 hours and there's basically zero replayability unlike Katamari.

It is good, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Large Testicles posted:

A note about Donut County tho, it's very short, like 2-3 hours and there's basically zero replayability unlike Katamari.

It is good, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

It is, without a sale, $13. It's worth that much.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I was looking at Cult of the Lamb and Diablo 2 in the sale. I know Cult had some problems with framerate etc on switch when it launched, has that been fixed? Would you guys recommend I get it in a different platform instead?

And how did many of you find Diablo 2? One of my most obsessively played games as a kid and I like the idea of doing runs while I'm curled up in bed. Fun on switch or should I stick to pc and mods like the old days?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lethemonster posted:

I was looking at Cult of the Lamb and Diablo 2 in the sale. I know Cult had some problems with framerate etc on switch when it launched, has that been fixed? Would you guys recommend I get it in a different platform instead?

And how did many of you find Diablo 2? One of my most obsessively played games as a kid and I like the idea of doing runs while I'm curled up in bed. Fun on switch or should I stick to pc and mods like the old days?

The only time i experienced frame rate issues was when i was hanging out in town and all my villages woke up for their daily poo poo. in dungeons where it mattered it was fine

that said the game is a bit on the short side, there isn't much depth to the village sections, and the dungeons aren't exactly hard

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I really liked D2 on switch but it was my first time playing it so i cant compare it to PC, but i thought the switch controls were good and it was a great game to play mindlessly in handheld mode

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought my wife and I those Nitro Decks because the allure of translucent plastic is too strong.

Plus my OLED Joycons are starting to get loose and a new pair is almost the same price.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

I bought my wife and I those Nitro Decks because the allure of translucent plastic is too strong.

Plus my OLED Joycons are starting to get loose and a new pair is almost the same price.

Nintendo will fix them for free if you can go without them for a couple days

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

Nintendo will fix them for free if you can go without them for a couple days

Yeah I know but I'm tired of the hassle. Plus I only play handheld usually, so this is a nice solution.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Hey this was a very long time ago but wanted to thank you - they're playing The Return of the Obra Dinn and absolutely loving it.

I’m glad it clicked with them. It’s an excellent game and there’s nothing else really like it. Would love to know if there were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Case of the Golden Idol literally just got a switch port and scratches a very similar itch to Obra Dinn.