Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mr.Acula posted:

Haven't played since I was a kid myself, but Toonstruck is on steam and i remember liking it
Toonstruck owns but is absolutely not appropriate for a 1st grader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FriedDijaaj posted:

Sometimes, my first-grade daughter and I play a game before bedtime. We recently finished "Return to Monkey Island" on my Steam Deck; it had a fun storytime-like vibe and was controller friendly.

Besides other entries in the MI series, does anyone have any suggestions for other bedtime-appropriate games? I'm leaning towards adventure games because there's usually reading involved, but I'm open to suggestions.

If you didn't already know there's a Humongous Entertainment Pack that goes on deep sale pretty regularly:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

The Nelly Cootalot series might be perfect:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/11144/Nelly_Cootalot_Deluxe_Bundle/

Burly Men At Sea:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/403290/Burly_Men_at_Sea/

Games I haven't played but are very highly ranked on the Hidden Gems chart:

Zniw Adventure
https://store.steampowered.com/app/904750/Zniw_Adventure/?curator_clanid=32686107&curator_listid=41983

Lucy Dreaming (may not be kid friendly)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1532710/Lucy_Dreaming/?curator_clanid=32686107&curator_listid=41983

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 9, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FriedDijaaj posted:

Sometimes, my first-grade daughter and I play a game before bedtime. We recently finished "Return to Monkey Island" on my Steam Deck; it had a fun storytime-like vibe and was controller friendly.

Besides other entries in the MI series, does anyone have any suggestions for other bedtime-appropriate games? I'm leaning towards adventure games because there's usually reading involved, but I'm open to suggestions.

Nelly Cootalot?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Maybe there are some age appropriate doom wads

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't even know that Alasdair Beckett-King had made games

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leal posted:

Yeah people with anime in their avatar are assholes

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FriedDijaaj posted:

FastestGunAlive posted:

Maybe there are some age appropriate doom wads

Chex Quest, but it doesn't exactly meet the other criteria sadly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mystes posted:

I didn't even know that Alasdair Beckett-King had made games

The first Nelly Cootalot is one of the most charming games in any genre. If you like or can even tolerate point and click games, you should definitely check it out.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

FriedDijaaj posted:

There isn't any reading, but Amanita's games are amusing and lighthearted adventure games with a storybook vibe. Thinking of Botanicula and Chuchel in particular, though Samorost and Machinarium could also be good.

Later Alligator is sure to be a hit, it's adorable. It's a collection of minigames wrapped up in an adventure.

Ghost Trick is coming out on Steam at the end of the month, another game I think a kid would love.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FriedDijaaj posted:

Already been mentioned, but emphasizing the Humungous Entertainment games - kid-friendly point-and-click adventures by one of the original creators of Monkey Island.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rebel Blob posted:

Later Alligator is sure to be a hit, it's adorable. It's a collection of minigames wrapped up in an adventure.
Speaking of, it's part of the Pixel Pride Humble Bundle at the US$12 tier, alongside other games like Celeste, Get In The Car Loser, Growing Up, Boyfriend Dungeon, Bad End Theatre, and Super Lesbian Animal RPG

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turbo Overkill's 1.0 date is set: July 18th. Part of the final update came out today.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rebel Blob posted:

There isn't any reading, but Amanita's games are amusing and lighthearted adventure games with a storybook vibe. Thinking of Botanicula and Chuchel in particular, though Samorost and Machinarium could also be good.

Ghost Trick is coming out on Steam at the end of the month, another game I think a kid would love.

Be warned that the themes/events of Ghost Trick's story may be a bit too dark for a kid

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Azran posted:

Be warned that the themes/events of Ghost Trick's story may be a bit too dark for a kid

Yeah wouldn't put Ghost Trick's story in front of a first grader. Fine for teens and maybe tweens but it's got some darker stuff underneath the bubbly surface.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

DD2 got its store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2054970/Dragons_Dogma_2/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Highly recommend everyone check out the Lies of P demo, it rules.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The 7th Guest posted:

Shadows of the Damned Remastered is... not the game I would have chosen to bring back (when we getting a Flower Sun and Rain port, eh??), but here it is. They also announced a Grasshopper Direct 6/14 at 21:00 PST. No picture so just imagine it in your mind. Was this the one with the sexual harassment minigame? I forget.

quote:

Eurogamer: One of the biggest criticisms about your last game, Killer is Dead, was to do with its "Gigolo" missions where you got women to sleep with you by buying them things. I was wondering if you could say what you thought of the criticisms about that.

Suda: Those missions were actually supposed to be part of Shadows of the Damned. The original concept was you were supposed to give flowers. It was more of a non-erotic mission. Then I got a request from the Japanese publisher saying, 'We're going to sell this game in Japan. We need more scandalous stuff.' I wanted the mode to be a little bit cleaner, but it came from the top down that I had to add that in there.

They're an erotic publisher. I wanted a more elegant "Gigolo Mode". I wanted to tone it down a little bit, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I came up with.

anyways, shadows of the damned actually got a sequel in Travis Strikes Again, which is mostly suda contemplating how much working with EA on shadows of the damned loving sucked

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Summer Game Fest 2023 Recap

The 7th Guest posted:

Devolver Showcase 2023

The 7th Guest posted:

Day of the Devs 2023

Thanks, makes it a lot easier to follow.

More Yakuza is good and Space Marine 2 looks great, but not much else grabbing my interest. There's a such a glut of games out in just the last 6 months I'd like to play someday and I know I never will.

Also I've been a huge fan of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games and it would be great if one of these many similar games can get close to that quality, I can't keep playing Stardew forever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

anyways, shadows of the damned actually got a sequel in Travis Strikes Again, which is mostly suda contemplating how much working with EA on shadows of the damned loving sucked
ah thanks for clarifying. yea that was, i imagine, the same era as stuff like Dragon Age 2 and Dante's Inferno, where EA was trying hard to court edgelords.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The 7th Guest posted:

ah thanks for clarifying. yea that was, i imagine, the same era as stuff like Dragon Age 2 and Dante's Inferno, where EA was trying hard to court edgelords.

it was bad enough that he named the main villain of TSA/secondary villain of NMH3 after the CEO of EA at the time lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Remnant 2 now has a price on its steam page and a release date of july 25, which is not only sooner than I expected but I think means it can't be an EGS exclusive at this point if I understand steam's rules on that correctly. encouraging all around.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Highly recommend everyone check out the Lies of P demo, it rules.

Kind of pleasantly surprised by this but it's true, the Lies of P demo actually feels pretty good. As far as non-FromSoft games like this go, it immediately gives a better impression than most.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I never doubted P

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's not a Lie that P is stored in the balls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a 'tell lie' button that extends the nose for a light attack?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Summer Games Fest has been a wash for me so far, but MK1, Space Marine 2, Alan Wake 2 and Lies of P are all at least "I hope this runs OK on Steam Deck" territory. I knew and thought the same about all of them before though so it's been thin on surprises.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 9, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

FriedDijaaj posted:

Go look for animals and take pictures (to prevent the big hotel corp from ruining the island): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337010/Alba_A_Wildlife_Adventure/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lies of P feels pretty good, a lot of people are making comparisons to Bloodborne - which I can't comment on since I'm still holding out hope for a PC Bloodborne - and for me it did feel familiar but also seems to add a lot of different things too. Looks amazing too. Controls seemed like it's very hard to pull off a parry or a dodge, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

since Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, we could maybe have some P And Pooh DLC

no need to thank me, devs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How buggy is Sable these days? I remember it was pretty bad on launch but it seems like the devs have cleaned it up somewhat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question: I bought the Humble Metroidvania Bundle, but I already own Hollow Knight and Bloodstained.

The redemption page says Steam will not provide giftable copies of games you already own, but the page gives keys to redeem.

Can I just give someone the Bloodstained/Hollow Knight keys? Or are those keys somehow only redeemable on my account?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Annath posted:

Can I just give someone the Bloodstained/Hollow Knight keys?

Yeah, that's how it works.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Annath posted:

Question: I bought the Humble Metroidvania Bundle, but I already own Hollow Knight and Bloodstained.

The redemption page says Steam will not provide giftable copies of games you already own, but the page gives keys to redeem.

Can I just give someone the Bloodstained/Hollow Knight keys? Or are those keys somehow only redeemable on my account?
Yes, you can! Just reveal the keys and you can copy/paste the keys to someone else.

People normally drop the keys in this thread here or the Steam gifting thread

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Artelier posted:

Yes, you can! Just reveal the keys and you can copy/paste the keys to someone else.

People normally drop the keys in this thread here or the Steam gifting thread

Thanks! I'm gonna offer em to some friends first, but if nobody wants em I'll put them in that thread.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FriedDijaaj posted:

Hidden Folks! Although I will be honest and say I am not sure about playing it on a small screen like that. But it is quite literally just sitting with your kid and going through a Where's Waldo book, which is usually quite relaxing.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

After reading these 7th Guest roundups I've decided I'd like to quit my job and just play games all day

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Hwurmp posted:

since Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, we could maybe have some P And Pooh DLC

no need to thank me, devs

We will have to wait for your post history base game before releasing the dlc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it was delisted

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FriedDijaaj posted:

Wandersong
TOEM
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I considered Wandersong and Chicory but iirc the late game can get a bit scary for kids