Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I want to see what abomination lockmart puts out that they claim can reach low earth orbit.

Boeing already make one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
either way there's a prime grifting opportunity in the space f--35 and i'm kinda surprised that they've missed it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KomradeX posted:

So the dnagers are anywhere between The Thing and slightly safer than being at Fort Bragg

it’s not about danger but instead about isolation and being away. I’d say those things are much more undesirable than any danger.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not about danger but instead about isolation and being away. I’d say those things are much more undesirable than any danger.

The whoosing sound is not an F-35 taking off

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

either way there's a prime grifting opportunity in the space f--35 and i'm kinda surprised that they've missed it

they have not

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Forcing soldiers to use Concur is a war crime

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

sullat posted:

Forcing soldiers to use Concur is a war crime

Not sure about the admiin or implementation side but my own experience with concur for as an end user is great besides the slight lag

the mobile app suck balls though

Palladium has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Jun 8, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

does the space force meaningfully deploy? do they have infantry? i guess what i'm getting at is, does the space force become the "safe" military branch?

I am led to believe it’s an office job but under military discipline and uniform standards. which is the stupidest way to run an office.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cerebral Bore posted:

the f-35 is last generation grift

the space force is gonna be next generation grift - NGAD

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What about this Osprey successor?

https://youtube.com/shorts/WugG_P_ccQg?feature=share

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The army wanted something that was even more likely to crash than a Blackhawk and let me tell you, that's a high bar

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

reduce weight and reduce production cost sounds like a pick one or the other kind of scenario

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Just get us those contract where we make extra for unexpected cost overruns, you won’t regret it I swear. it’s so cheap man.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They want us to buy them

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
did they just copy some stuff from a videogame

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

The army wanted something that was even more likely to crash than a Blackhawk and let me tell you, that's a high bar

The whole time wtaching it all I could think of is how is this thing going to fail harder than the Osprey

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fits my needs posted:

did they just copy some stuff from a videogame

It looks like it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks fantastically overwrought even MIC standards

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
“Insane new super helicopter”

I guess that’s not wrong, technically.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

KomradeX posted:

So the dnagers are anywhere between The Thing and slightly safer than being at Fort Bragg

I would feel safer with the Thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey the thing just needed biomass and engineering resources to fly home

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Complications posted:

the f-35 is last generation grift

the space force is gonna be next generation grift - NGAD

just make up some bullshit about how the f-35 is "proven technology" and you can run two very lucrative grifts at the same time

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We don't even see a picture of the prototype and they are going to award the NGAD contract next year. Is this common?

Is this like the first seed money of a start up you just need a good elevator pitch to get money?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the main point of the us military-industrial complex isn't to produce actual usable weapons, it's to facilitate a massive wealth transfer from regular taxpayers to the rich, hth

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

the main point of <x> isn't to produce actual usable <y>, it's to facilitate a massive wealth transfer from regular taxpayers to the rich, hth
template for future use, yoar welcome

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Weka posted:

I would feel safer with the Thing.

Samez honestly

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/przidnt1/status/1666840851488681984

quote:

stripes.com
Marines will restructure infantry battalions by Sept. 1
Matthew Adams
~4 minutes

WASHINGTON — The Marine Corps is shrinking all infantry battalions to 811 troops by Sept. 1, the service announced Monday as part of an annual update of its Force Design restructuring.

In 2020, the Marines began working to implement their Force Design 2030 initiated by Gen. David Berger, the service commandant. This is the service’s plan to modernize the force and shed outdated practices and strategies.

The plan includes developing new equipment and restructuring on multiple levels so Marines can better respond to near-peer threats, such as China and Russia. Some of the changes to the service include more mobile fighting formations, getting rid of hundreds of tanks and cutting back on towed cannon artillery and significant numbers of helicopter units.

“One of the big shifts we did this year is we said divestments are complete,” Brig. Gen. Stephen Lightfoot, director of capabilities development for the Marine Corps, told reporters on Friday ahead of the update’s release. “We are no longer looking to figure out what do we need to get rid of in order to modernize.”

The Marines began their Battalion Infantry Experimentation in 2020 working to create smaller formations that were more capable of distributed operations. Battalions now consist of about 900 Marines. The service used three existing battalions to test various configurations. There were 13 “live-force experiments” ranging in places from the Appalachian Mountains to the jungles of Okinawa. During this testing, there was one battalion with 735 Marines.

“These experiments demonstrated that a battalion of 735 Marines — the initial planning factor — was not operationally suitable,” Berger wrote in the update. “We have since adjusted the size of our battalions to 811 Marines.”

The Marines settled on battalions of 811 troops last year but continued to keep experimenting and conduct a second phase of the experiment, said Brig. Gen. Kyle Ellison, commander of the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab. This phase is underway and focused on the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines based at Marine Corps Base Twentynine Palms in California.

The second phase will primarily consist of focusing on sustainment, sensing, lethality and C5ISRT, which stands for command, control, computing, communications, cyber, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting.

“The conduct of our campaign of learning and the way in which we organize to design and develop the future force have grown in recent years. This improvement must continue,” Berger wrote. “We must build on our ability to innovate for the future while delivering capabilities to the warfighter today.”

Berger, who took over as commandant in 2019, will retire in the summer. He has faced a range of reactions for his redesign plans, from criticism from retired Marine leaders to support from Congress for the overhaul.

Gen. Eric Smith, the Marine Corps’ second highest ranking officer, has been selected to be the next commandant.

this is somehow a battalion tactical group without the firepower that makes a battalion tactical group appealing

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lmao even the mil industrial complex is experiencing shrinkflation

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Good, just fold them back into the Navy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
you dont need heavy equipment for glorified resorts and sexpesting actually oorah to ashes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/przidnt1/status/1666840851488681984

this is somehow a battalion tactical group without the firepower that makes a battalion tactical group appealing

The infantry section here is working on the same thing, I was chatting to a captain working on it.

The funny thing is the light infantry mania is all based on Lessons Learned from Ukraine 2015-2021 and was signed off on because of Ukraine's victory, decisively defeating the Russian Army and winning the war in 2022... so... uh...

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jun 9, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The infantry section here is working on the same thing, I was chatting to a captain working on it.

The funny thing is the light infantry mania is all based on Lessons Learned from Ukraine 2015-2021 and was signed off on because of Ukraine's victory, decisively defeating the Russian Army and winning the war in 2022... so... uh...

lol god we're high on our own supply. That's hilarious

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

lol god we're high on our own supply. That's hilarious

To the point where, it's funny they think that they can militarily bully China after giving away all of their state capacity

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lol @near-peers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Light infantry harassing the army is guerilla war. Partizans were a huge part of the great patriotic war mythos. Partizans were also not the army in the field.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

To the point where, it's funny they think that they can militarily bully China after giving away all of their state capacity

We're just going to have modern condottieri. It's gonna rule when our opponets negotiate a better contract for them mid war.

I was just thinking today that when Russia wins in Ukraine it would almost be criminally stupid for China not to take Taiwan back since the West all be rubbing in fumes expending everything to empower a Nazi government. Hell even if the Russians lose the stocks are still empty

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Frosted Flake posted:

"smaller, politically neutral, and professional armed forces."

"smaller"

"politically neutral"

"professional armed forces"

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like mercenary bands who go from patron to patron depending on the size of the contract.

"politically neutral" is one hell of a sinister phrase! lmao that they don't see it like that though!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bedpan posted:

"smaller, politically neutral, and professional armed forces."

"smaller"

"politically neutral"

"professional armed forces"

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like mercenary bands who go from patron to patron depending on the size of the contract.

"politically neutral" is one hell of a sinister phrase! lmao that they don't see it like that though!

Mercenaries have always been traditionally politically neutral

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

KomradeX posted:

Mercenaries have always been traditionally politically neutral

guy with a machine gun saying "my allegiance is not determined by politics" and a liberal nodding furiously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

We're just going to have modern condottieri. It's gonna rule when our opponets negotiate a better contract for them mid war.

Condos are really good in AOE2