Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

First, gently caress yeah Pandorum.

Second you should check out Underwater.

I saw Underwater in theaters and liked it a lot.

If there's some genuinely great movie like this I've missed, sure I'll start there, but I figured it's going to be more like ther Screamers of the world, the decent B movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol sneaking Terra formars in there

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What I really love about aliens is the props and the "space trucker" aesthetic, it's such a well realized setting. The actual Xenomorph, while great, isn't the prime thing I'm chasing here. AFAIK Aliens is going to be the gold standard here, but I'm not opposed to some anime, and I bet there's some insanely detailed stuff from the 80s and 90s I haven't seen (of course I've seen Akira).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you like space truckers, check out Outland. More like Alien in tone and pacing, though, and not much action. Very good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Moon 44, believe it or not, is solid. The third act turns into action mush, but it's definitely channeling Aliens. It's also got some interesting and nuanced queer representation for the 90s.

The actual movie Space Truckers is super goofy but mught scratch a part of that itch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol sneaking Terra formars in there

It's undeniably action, undeniably sci-fi, and I'd say the sheer amount of gore makes it close enough to horror.

It just happens to also be educational.

Jack B Nimble posted:

What I really love about aliens is the props and the "space trucker" aesthetic, it's such a well realized setting. The actual Xenomorph, while great, isn't the prime thing I'm chasing here. AFAIK Aliens is going to be the gold standard here, but I'm not opposed to some anime, and I bet there's some insanely detailed stuff from the 80s and 90s I haven't seen (of course I've seen Akira).

oh man, if you like extremely detailed sci-fi mechanical animation, 80s and 90s anime will absolutely satisfy you. Gunbuster, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, MADOX,

And of course, the GOAT, the Patlabor movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enwTApkJ0cc

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 7, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Host (2006)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Aliens is a tough one to beat, Cameron does a lot of things right.

I'd say Sunshine, Cloverfield Paradox, Event Horizon all have the vibe but just not the exact thing. I'll have a look around and see what else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

If you like space truckers, check out Outland. More like Alien in tone and pacing, though, and not much action. Very good.

Another blue collar space movie is Prospect, with Pedro Pascal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I saw Underwater in theaters and liked it a lot.

If there's some genuinely great movie like this I've missed, sure I'll start there, but I figured it's going to be more like ther Screamers of the world, the decent B movies.

Well then can I interest you in Virus (1999)?

It's objectively not a good movie (it even has a supernumerary Baldwin), but it does have a cyborged-up Donald Sutherland taking a thermite grenade to the chest.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hardware (1990) comes to mind.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Hardware (1990) comes to mind.

Hardware rules. seconded.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm about to either blow your mind or get you to blow me off: The Scarlett Empress (1934). Best to go in blind, but if you must know what an over-the-top, melodramatic historical about Catherine the Great that is not sci-fi, not really horror, and is barely action could have in common with the Alien movies, well, this movie is 12 types of of crazy, and the most prominent is that past Act 1 it looks like it was designed by HR Giger years before he was born.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

Death Machine is worth a watch, it's a fun love letter to Aliens. I'll suggest Life also, though that's more in the vein of Alien than Aliens.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

Missing the sci-fi part but Dog Soliders felt very much in the vein of Aliens

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Purple Monkey posted:

Missing the sci-fi part but Dog Soliders felt very much in the vein of Aliens

Agreed, good movie. It's a good indicator of the quality I'm hoping to find.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Split Second, a Rutger Hauer vehicle, has an Alien-looking baddie but it's more obsessed with flooded London, big guns and the occult. What a weird but good film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If we're going that route, Dark Angel and Future Kick are both rad, same with Nemesis. Nothing like Aliens, but still action/horror/sci-fi and fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for movies where the main character or a central theme is being extremely, incredibly and/or maniacally dedicated to a cause or belief (whatever that may be). Doesn't matter what the specifics are or if the cause/belief is positive or negative. Some stuff I've seen recently seen that's what I'm looking for

Silence (dedicated to religion)

Letters From Iwo Jima (dedicated to Japanese empire)

Hostiles (main character's beliefs that Native Americans are evil)

Changeling (belief that son is an imposter)

King of Comedy (belief that main character has regarding his comedy career)

As you can see it's a pretty broad/open question so feel free to toss out whatever you think applies.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 8, 2023

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Take Shelter (2011) starring Michael Shannon & Jessica Chastain.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ynohtna posted:

Take Shelter (2011) starring Michael Shannon & Jessica Chastain.

Ive seen that one, but that's an excellent suggestion, exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Thank you!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like Michael Mann is big on "dude appreciates his craft", maybe Collateral?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

Ive seen that one, but that's an excellent suggestion, exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Thank you!

You might like Anthropoid (2016), which is about the Czech-Slovak joint assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the dude who invented the Holocaust. Just dudes who really, really want to kill Nazis.

Cillian Murphy, Jaime Dornan and Toby mothafukkin Jones.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Misery, The Mosquito Coast, Fitzcarraldo / Burden of Dreams come to mind

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies where the main character or a central theme is being extremely, incredibly and/or maniacally dedicated to a cause or belief (whatever that may be). Doesn't matter what the specifics are or if the cause/belief is positive or negative. Some stuff I've seen recently seen that's what I'm looking for

As you can see it's a pretty broad/open question so feel free to toss out whatever you think applies.

Patriotism by Mishima along with Mishima a life in four chapters by Schrader.

Andrei Rublev by Tarkovsky

Ad Astra by Grey

The Man who loved Women by Truffaut.

Cape Fear, Touch of Evil, The Conversation and nearly every Mann movie as well

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

morestuff posted:

Misery, The Mosquito Coast, Fitzcarraldo / Burden of Dreams come to mind

Oooh, yeah. And then The Fire Within: A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft (2022)!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ynohtna posted:

Oooh, yeah. And then The Fire Within: A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft (2022)!

Yeah, basically Herzog's entire body of work

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

This is an interesting one. Some of my faves that I think qualify:

The Innocents (1961)

Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Bug (more Shannon)

Whiplash

Hunger

The Swimmer

The Red Shoes

First Reformed

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tysm everyone lots of interesting stuff to check out!!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vertigo

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Diary of a Country Priest
Passion of Joan of Arc
maybe The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
if Vertigo, then Rear Window too

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Berberian Sound Studio
Bigger Than Life

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wings of Desire

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Legion

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's a bit disappointing considering the cast, but The Prophecy (1995).

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Okua posted:

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

The Seventh Seal with a young Demi Moore works for this and is an underated flick

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The Seventh Seal with a young Demi Moore works for this and is an underated flick

I think you mean The Seventh Sign, but The Seventh Seal works if you consider Death to be an angel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Okua posted:

Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallen angels?