Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I finally did it and beat Elias being 6 levels under him.
His abilities are mostly 1-shots vs some rng luck/resists so it's a pretty terrifying fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8ZzJONMfQ

Now I get to run around in WT4 and do this:

https://streamable.com/5bzu21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hit 15 on my Barbarian, it gives me a quest to go to the other side of the map.

Past the prologue, I have only done one Campaign quest: the one you do by going to the church. I still want to do a few more dungeons and maybe some quests, alongside said Barb quest.

I think I have a problem :shepface:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Is there a solution for the freezes on opening menus and dialogue boxes on PC? It's a bit annoying!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
lol @ at the fyad losers who came in here to troll and immedietly were drowned out because there's like three of you at this point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeez, the (Act 1, pretty much the first boss in the game) Vhenard fight was miserable on this Barbarian I created, and that's with the 6 potions I have unlocked from my other characters. Just doing piddly damage while having to get into melee range. From what I understand this class is good at higher levels, but it's really dire early on. Took me 4 tries to beat this fight that wasn't very difficult on my Sorcerer or Rogue.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

DarkDobe posted:

I finally did it and beat Elias being 6 levels under him.

High five tier 4 buddy. Just did it myself on my lvl 65 rogue. Wiped the first attempt, used an elixir of fortitude on the 2nd attempt and was able to tank his spells... barely.

Also I found a conduit shrine right next to The Butcher and a treasure goblin... also Butcher dropped his cosmetic item. There goes any luck I had for another 20 levels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, but I may as well just ask: Is it worth it to make the trip to unlock the Barbarian weapon skill thing asap?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

gotta say getting to 59 after doing a few nightmare dungeons was disappointing; immediately recognising the exact same grind as seasonal d3 to the stage that my brain immediately transferred of all my burnout from playing that a little for a couple of seasons. im gunna put this down because the idea of shuffling gear around (mainly, sorting through my chest tabs) to try out any other builds is tiring.

helltides are about checking mystery chest spawns and doing extremely low density mob grind to unlock them, and nightmare dungeons are, uh, not that exciting. there arent enough systems or experiences to look forward to once you're done with T3. needs another layer or three.

extremely good campaign experience but lasting 9 levels into the end game is pretty sad. ill be happy to pick it back up for season 1 and check it out

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Jeez, the (Act 1, pretty much the first boss in the game) Vhenard fight was miserable on this Barbarian I created, and that's with the 6 potions I have unlocked from my other characters. Just doing piddly damage while having to get into melee range. From what I understand this class is good at higher levels, but it's really dire early on. Took me 4 tries to beat this fight that wasn't very difficult on my Sorcerer or Rogue.

I don't remember that being a big problem, but especially earlier on it does feel like Barbarian needs to rely on a few crutches. Before you get access to certain synergies, it seems like Rend (the bleeding core skill) is far and away the best damage you can get, and doesn't require you to be close to your target the whole time. If you got the skill points for it, you can increase that with the passive that increases bleeding against targets with vulnerable. On the defensive side of things, Iron Skin with the specialization that heals you for a part of the barrier lets you keep up your health while running after your target.

e:

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, but I may as well just ask: Is it worth it to make the trip to unlock the Barbarian weapon skill thing asap?

All it gets you is the ability to have one of the weapon passives active all the time irrespective of you're equipment. They're handy, but not super powerful especially early on before you levelled your weapons. I put mine off until like level twentysomething and didn't feel like I was missing out on much.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 9, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hashy posted:

gotta say getting to 59 after doing a few nightmare dungeons was disappointing; immediately recognising the exact same grind as seasonal d3 to the stage that my brain immediately transferred of all my burnout from playing that a little for a couple of seasons. im gunna put this down because the idea of shuffling gear around (mainly, sorting through my chest tabs) to try out any other builds is tiring.

helltides are about checking mystery chest spawns and doing extremely low density mob grind to unlock them, and nightmare dungeons are, uh, not that exciting. there arent enough systems or experiences to look forward to once you're done with T3. needs another layer or three.

extremely good campaign experience but lasting 9 levels into the end game is pretty sad. ill be happy to pick it back up for season 1 and check it out

But... the game is good?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Loving the game so far! Another worthy blizzard classic.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Zotix posted:

But... the game is good?

Game is great! until you get around lvl 60 and its just ok

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Hashy posted:

What I'm enjoying about the game is the world they created, exploring it and the quests. Don't really like the level scaling, ranged rogue feels like an afterthought having to share half it's skills with a melee focus and the gear grind in this game is pretty terrible in my opinion. I'm doing my own thing with my rogue build, but none of the top builds even use an ultimate skill and most of them feel pretty mediocre. Rogue feels worse to me than Demon Hunter from Diablo 3. I didn't really care for Diablo 3 either though, so I was going into this expecting to not overly enjoy it. Just couldn't miss a Diablo launch.

It doesn't help that my first 20 ancestral items were just like the hundreds of rares I already trashed. I've got one more zone to explore, do quests and get Lilith statues and I'll probably shelve it.

Edit: Also all 6 uniques I found were garbage.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 9, 2023

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

This game is far from perfect but I'm genuinely impressed that the campaign was so enjoyable that I'm just doing that again on my first alt rather then adventure mode dungeon grinding poo poo

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ceramics posted:

This game is far from perfect but I'm genuinely impressed that the campaign was so enjoyable that I'm just doing that again on my first alt rather then adventure mode dungeon grinding poo poo

I was actually thinking the same thing - with big bonuses from renown + my demon Epona horse, experiencing it again wouldn't be *that* bad, and could be fun!

When you compare that to the idea of replaying D3's campaign...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Hashy posted:

yeah, i feel the same way.

abilities and loot feel very 'over-designed' (on rogue at least). "20% lucky hit to daze if you hit a vulnerable enemy." "+15% damage against injured enemies afflicted by shadow imbuement" etcetc.

managing your legendary aspects is kind of a nightmare, loot is boring, towns are annoying to navigate, paragon boards are tedious.

edit: the abilities aren't very flavourful. having an ability called "Methodical Caltrops" that makes my caltrops do ice damage is weird.

also, all the conditional effects kind of reminds me of the jargon and debuffs in pathfinder d&d games.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 9, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

zoux posted:

Just applied to this, what does it show my account name or my character name

Unsure, but I just now accepted the lot. We might get some strangers, but that's the cost of doing business (avoiding a situation where 150 people have to DM me).

RobertDanger posted:

Can I get an invite accepted for ABEL? Heerui in game.

In I hope!

Mekchu posted:

lmao at this excuse

the american pronunciation has robbed of us of beauty and grace and I have never done a crime

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Finally cleared the campaign and uh yeah it's better than D3 but still not good.

Who else had a better plan than Lilith? Certainly not any of the characters in this game. Mephisto gets his way which I'm alright with if it means this entire lot get wiped. The player character has no agency despite being clearly the most capable and least biased person around at any given time. Donan gets scratched by a loot box and dies due to the opposite of plot armor. Lorath's head is bound for a tree to no benefit. Neyrelle running off with the soulstone on her own and then us just accepting her "don't follow me lol" letter is possibly the stupidest turn of events in the entire series.

Andariel's new design was fantastic but Duriel was unimpressive. Neither fight was particularly interesting and there was zero buildup or payoff.

At least the cinematics were great, though there weren't nearly as many of them as I expected. All the in-engine stuff is neat tech but clearly has massive limitations.

I wonder if the Prime Evils will show up in expansions or will that be a story for D5 in another decade? I'm interested to see how they handle seasonal stories.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Swilo posted:

Finally cleared the campaign and uh yeah it's better than D3 but still not good.

Who else had a better plan than Lilith? Certainly not any of the characters in this game. Mephisto gets his way which I'm alright with if it means this entire lot get wiped. The player character has no agency despite being clearly the most capable and least biased person around at any given time. Donan gets scratched by a loot box and dies due to the opposite of plot armor. Lorath's head is bound for a tree to no benefit. Neyrelle running off with the soulstone on her own and then us just accepting her "don't follow me lol" letter is possibly the stupidest turn of events in the entire series.

Andariel's new design was fantastic but Duriel was unimpressive. Neither fight was particularly interesting and there was zero buildup or payoff.

At least the cinematics were great, though there weren't nearly as many of them as I expected. All the in-engine stuff is neat tech but clearly has massive limitations.

I wonder if the Prime Evils will show up in expansions or will that be a story for D5 in another decade? I'm interested to see how they handle seasonal stories.

I can see them giving d4 the wow treatment when comparing warcraft lore. I'd guess the story and engine will get updated throughout patches and expansions while an actual d5 will not really manifest itself anymore.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Finished the campaign and loved it, WT2 was enough of a challenge until I had a solid build going (unkillable tornado druid), will dabble in WT3 for a few hours and return for Season 1.

Do we know if Haedrigs gift is coming back? I understand there aren't 'set' items but I imagine the devs could decide on 3-4 uniques/legendaries to gift you for completing seasonal challenges.

Also - where's everyone hosting screenshots to show their pretty princesses

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

game is good. I was ready to be heartbroken like I was with D3, followed no news until the beta, and am now fully hooked. The vibes rule and the exploration and grind really bring me back to the early days of D1 and D2.

I also feel like the game is a stable platform for power creep from here. Some seasons and expansions opening up new ways to wreck poo poo will feel really good.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mikojan posted:

I can see them giving d4 the wow treatment when comparing warcraft lore. I'd guess the story and engine will get updated throughout patches and expansions while an actual d5 will not really manifest itself anymore.

I mean, Battlepass stupidity always goes hand in hand with lore progression to hype up each battlepass season and incentivize people to pour money in. I expect the campaign lore to be subject to lots and lots of future additions, I just hope they don't stonewall it behind $$ unlockables

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Swilo posted:

I agree that they could've telegraphed the bosses coming up a bit better, environmentally speaking - the gradual gibbification of the areas prior to fighting Duriel were a bit more of a hint than Andariel, but the latter was clearly better in terms of being more memorable.

The original story in Diablo and Diablo 2 wasn't exactly high prose either, but Diablo 4 feels very much like a follow-up to those stories, rather than the Super Saiyan plot of Diablo 3 where the player character is suddenly unlocking their true Nephelem powers by Act 2.

I also think it makes lot more sense that the player character lacks agency considering the kinds of forces they're up against.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Boss spoilers. I thought the Duriel match was a fun surprise, but Andariel was built up in a way that I expected a whole act to be about reclaiming a region from her rule. The pacing felt off when she just appeared during dialogue without even a dungeon.

Hopefully there's post-campaign rematches in some of the whisper dungeons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had a quick Update to download this morning, and I think you auto pickup Gems now? :monocle:

e; nope Im wrong

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is there a solution for the freezes on opening menus and dialogue boxes on PC? It's a bit annoying!

Remember that checkbox for high detail textures when you installed the game? Downloading that fixed the freezes for me

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Freezing baddies with blizzard as I jump off my horse is fun.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Donnerberg posted:

Boss spoilers. I thought the Duriel match was a fun surprise, but Andariel was built up in a way that I expected a whole act to be about reclaiming a region from her rule. The pacing felt off when she just appeared during dialogue without even a dungeon.

Hopefully there's post-campaign rematches in some of the whisper dungeons.

that act with andariel feels like the part of the game that got lost in development. act starts, elias shows up out of nowhere, andariel shows up, you beat her, it's over. it felt very odd.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Unlucky7 posted:

Not immediately essential, but might be useful if you think you need a damage boost. Use the 2h skill that applies bleed on every attack, take the 'applying bleed slows enemies' ability, then any weapon with +damage to crowd controlled enemies becomes a lot more effective.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Anyone have any guidance on comparing +1 to skills on items vs + to general stats? For example as a sorcerer I have a couple of items that give me +1 to my Hydra skill but is that better or worse than say slightly more armor and +12 on intelligence (level 27 examples).

I feel it probably doesn't really matter now and I'll be changing poo poo every couple of levels anyway so may as well just grind through it.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Fists Up posted:

Anyone have any guidance on comparing +1 to skills on items vs + to general stats? For example as a sorcerer I have a couple of items that give me +1 to my Hydra skill but is that better or worse than say slightly more armor and +12 on intelligence (level 27 examples).

I feel it probably doesn't really matter now and I'll be changing poo poo every couple of levels anyway so may as well just grind through it.

+skill to a given skill can usually only roll on one (or two?) specific item slot(s) and is a substantial boost, I’d prioritize it over most other rolls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

+ to skills you are using are probably the best rolls you can get, especially while leveling

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I made a rogue alt since I couldn’t beat the capstone dungeon on my sorc because I’m bad and I’m having way more of a fun time with a puncture/barrage rogue. Is melee rogue really that much more powerful than bow rogue? I’m only level 18 at the moment and my clear speed seems great as a bow spec

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mikojan posted:

Game is great! until you get around lvl 60 and its just ok

I even enjoyed 60-70 but 70+ feels like it’s missing some content or balancing or something. Leveling up becomes painfully slow and there isn’t enough activity variety.

Tree of Whispers is just there.

World Bosses are a <1m checkbox for cosmetics.

Fields of Hatred stops scaling. I was bugged. Fixed now.

Nightmare dungeon xp as a % to level falls off so you need dozens per level to level.

Leveling becomes a whack-a-mole of which dungeon hasn’t had mob density nerfed yet.

Endgame is very much still a beta. Lots of bugs, lots of balance issues, not enough variety.

Everything else is very solid so as long as they build out activities and have interesting seasonal content then the game will continue being great. If there isn’t anything new for Season 1 and the xp curve is where it is today… gonna be real boring.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 9, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Saltpowered posted:

Everything else is very solid so as long as they build out activities and have interesting seasonal content then the game will continue being great. If there isn’t anything new for Season 1 and the xp curve is where it is today… gonna be real boring.

yeah, it’s a solid foundation and a world better than D3 at launch, so I’m more hopeful for the future than I expected to be a week in.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I made a rogue alt since I couldn’t beat the capstone dungeon on my sorc because I’m bad and I’m having way more of a fun time with a puncture/barrage rogue. Is melee rogue really that much more powerful than bow rogue? I’m only level 18 at the moment and my clear speed seems great as a bow spec

The melee rogue builds are supposedly one of the best/top 3 in the game. Bow rogue doesn't even come close.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The game is also now making poo poo tons of money so hopefully we get some money put into future content as well (lol).

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm almost level 58 and haven't seen a piece of gear with a higher ilvl than what I have since level 53 or something. I'm doing all the content available, working up the NM dungeon ranks. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Just finished the campaign. The story was okay at maintaining a consistent mood and had some fun characters, but the overall plot really didn’t make sense in a lot of places.

The game is really good! Difficulty on wt2 completely evaporated after level 25 or so, and a legendary aspect with health regen per stack of momentum made my rogue completely unkillable in act 6, but I’m looking forward to messing around in endgame a little before inevitably getting bored.