Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

Warhammer 40k: Gladius is free to add to your account forever this week, during the Warhammer event on Steam.

It's a bit simplistic on the civilisation building side and more focused on combat/domination which it does quite well.

I’ve had this on the old wishlist for awhile and have time for a new map game this weekend so I’m excited. Is it something like the Warlock games where it’s basically all war all the time against everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anno posted:

I’ve had this on the old wishlist for awhile and have time for a new map game this weekend so I’m excited. Is it something like the Warlock games where it’s basically all war all the time against everyone?

40ks motto is “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.” and Gladius leans into it. no diplomacy whatsoever.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

40ks motto is “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.” and Gladius leans into it. no diplomacy whatsoever.

It would be pretty funny to have a Diplomacy button and if you hit it your faction leader gets executed by an Inquisitor. Except for the Tyranids. They can praise how tasty everyone is.

Anno
May 10, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

Sounds fun assuming the combat units are interesting. They have enough TT stuff to work with that they should be able to do that though. I’ll give it a try tonight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

Sounds fun assuming the combat units are interesting. They have enough TT stuff to work with that they should be able to do that though. I’ll give it a try tonight.

it's solid, I like it for going all in on tactical combat with cities as unit mills. because it has that narrow focus it lacks extraneous systems the ai usually sucks rear end with

it's not even a AA game in presentation though, so ymmv depending on how hard 40k carries it for you

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gladius is cool because it's a TBS that plays like a RTS.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wdym?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
It plays like starcraft but turn based.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Instead of having a Civ like city that just pumps out one unit at a time, you build different buildings that produce different units - build a barracks to produce infantry units, a factory to produce tanks. They all roll off the production line simultaneously and are sent to the front line - which is a push and pull battle over resource nodes scatted across the map - which feed directly back into troop production. No diplomacy, no special victory conditions, no empire building. They did a really good job.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm kind of surprised how much I love it, but it makes sense - I really love RTSes but just don't have the reaction time for them and hate juggling in real time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah it’s got some cool stuff. You can build multiples of a production building to increase recruitment speed - the second barracks means infantry train twice as fast, etc. At a certain point, you have all the training capacity you need, and then your economy switches over to making more and more resources, so you don’t get starved for upkeep. All resources are pooled, so you can get all your food from one mega-farm city, etc.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Has anyone played GalCiv 4? Does it have any upgrades of actual significance over GalCiv 3?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

orangelex44 posted:

Has anyone played GalCiv 4? Does it have any upgrades of actual significance over GalCiv 3?

Did 3 have any over 2? They all look extremely derivative to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

THE BAR posted:

pretty

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I remember 3 had that Civ 5-like alignment tech tree-kinda thingie.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

THE BAR posted:

Not really, but IIRC 2 was a pretty big bump from 1 which is why I'm asking. They keep a consistent visual look on the series so it's hard to know just from casually skimming a YouTube video or two.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
In the mood to just build a big civ/city/etc and feel fuzzy as I make my citizens' lives better without the whole 'obliterate anyone that doesn't kneel' part, and I'm sick to death of Civ 5. Any suggestions?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Civ VI, probably

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitfox88 posted:

In the mood to just build a big civ/city/etc and feel fuzzy as I make my citizens' lives better without the whole 'obliterate anyone that doesn't kneel' part, and I'm sick to death of Civ 5. Any suggestions?
Does it have to be a 4x? A recent Sim City clone or other city builder might be more what you want.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, management games or such are fine too, I just like the research aspects and the 'grow and expand' aspects a lot. A 3x game would be wonderful for me, gently caress that exterminate poo poo. :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You could play a Civ with no opponents. Civ 4 lets you do that, not sure about the others. Just you, beating back the barbarians and civilising the world

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
There are also factory games, if you're into logistics.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
e: nm

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Anno 1800 custom start without competitive NPCs.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Caconym posted:

Anno 1800 custom start without competitive NPCs.

seconding this. Note this doesn't mean no NPCs, Anno 1800 is specifically built so there can be non-hostile NPCs that still function as trading partners and will take some of hte islands. So the world doesn't have to be lifeless like in some games.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, management games or such are fine too, I just like the research aspects and the 'grow and expand' aspects a lot. A 3x game would be wonderful for me, gently caress that exterminate poo poo. :v:

Dyson Sphere Project?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Do you like "grow and expand but hit resource limits and end up in a gigantic panic" games cause there's a few to scratch that itch nowadays too

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kitfox88 posted:

Frostpunk is a good city builder about making your citizen's lives better and not obliterating anyone else, and even involves a small world (well, surrounding area) exploration element.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Slipways is entirely a 4X without extermination, you scout, specialize found planets and link them to generate cash and happiness.

Also the nightmare festival of lane collisions makes me slowly go mad.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Come visit us in the Management megathread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Lots of great choices in the OP!

Mayveena the Management Megathread OP

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

Dwarf Fortress is still the only one that stands out as having particularly sophisticated or interesting town-logistics mechanics, but "better" lives is an extremely relative measure

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah, DF is what comes to mind to me. Either play with threats off or just in a very low threat location all walled up and decorate your cool city to your heart’s content.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles/

It's very light compared to something like Civ, but I find the resource juggling/transport optimisation/barbarian and dragon repelling gameplay loop enjoyable. You can also add AI nations, but it's a new feature with not as many diplomatic plays as I'd like just yet.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Kitfox88 posted:

Tropico is honestly great for this.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kitfox88 posted:

Clanfolk is what you want.

I've written a lot of words about it in various threads. Clanfolk is a city-builder in the same sense that DF or Rimworld is, but without any of the violence. Just peacefully build ever more elaborate/comfy rooms and workshops for your people.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:toot: Some good rear end recommendations, I'd totally forgotten about Slipways and Clanfolk looks maximum comfy. Tropico is sort of a Civ 5 situation, I played so much 3 that I'm STILL just burned out on the games in general.

Dirk the Average posted:

There are also factory games, if you're into logistics.

Logistics are fun on a simplistic scale but actual production chains like anno games or most factory stuff just end up feeling tedious sadly.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 8, 2023

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There is also Against the Storm, especially if you like Slipways.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Corbeau posted:

There is also Against the Storm, especially if you like Slipways.
Yeah that's what I was ending toward, the only issue is the "big city" bit since a map's pops start at about a dozen and aren't even going to hit triple digits. Otherwise yeah.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I liked Slipways but it was a really stressful game for me to play, which is a pretty strange reaction to a turn based 4x. Maybe because I sucked at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Slipways is a puzzle game. And I've never felt as much stress from a puzzle game either, though I'd definitely classify it as fun.