Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I really like the tone I get in the bridge position with the S-1 button down so I’m using neck and bridge at the same time. It’s gorgeous with overdrive and even better clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Harton posted:

I bought a new guitar for my birthday!

Happy Birthday Harton!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Thanks! Finally got my American strat. I did the math and I hadn’t bought a guitar in 17 years…

It was time

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Hellllll yeah happy birthday!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Harton posted:

Thanks! Finally got my American strat. I did the math and I hadn’t bought a guitar in 17 years…

It was time

It's a beaut.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've really gotten into Justin Johnson lately. What should I study to play in this style (ignoring the slide guitar)?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Demilich posted:

I've really gotten into Justin Johnson lately. What should I study to play in this style (ignoring the slide guitar)?

I think he sells a number of instructional videos on his site.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

I bought some rechargeable 9v batteries to power my active pickups, but when I install them I am getting a high pitch electronic noise. I assume the kind I bought are not suitable for this task, the usb plugs directly into the battery for recharge so there must be electronics onboard. Is there a time-tested rechargeable 9v that is good for the job?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My friend was looking into getting a new guitar for metal and I suggested taking his old lovely Ibanez RG with a Floyd rose that he got in middle school and then gutting it.

So I blocked off the trem, put in a single SD black winter, volume only, and then some 65-12 strings so he could go down to A standard. I forgot a multimeter so I just sorta winged the wiring job and prayed. Idk how but it worked fine first try. Then while he was testing it out we kept getting some odd noise that was going through a noise suppressor. Then I looked at his janky setup and realized that there's no loving way an NS2 is gonna be able to reliably handle a metal zone on full blast going into an HM2 on full blast. There was no noise with the pedals off so I ruled out an issue with the ground connections. He runs that into a twin reverb and I think it sounds kinda muddy and bad so I've been subtly hinting that an actual metal amp would make a huge difference but he's kinda obstinate and clueless unless

I did convert him to the church of the Boss Katana because he tried mine and couldn't believe how good it sounded and how versatile it was with just the options on the faceplate. The single footswtich changes from roaring HM2 to a surf guitar clean just absolutely confused him

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What’s the best value for a high gain head/amp right now anyways?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also: as an experiment I made a fancy pants DI box for my audio interface to see if I could use real distortion pedals with my amp sims. Sadly I just can’t get it to sound right and have to rely on the digital models of whatever pedals are available in the various sims. I wish there was a way to use a sort of hybrid setup and maybe I’m just doing something wrong.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TheKub posted:

I bought some rechargeable 9v batteries to power my active pickups, but when I install them I am getting a high pitch electronic noise. I assume the kind I bought are not suitable for this task, the usb plugs directly into the battery for recharge so there must be electronics onboard. Is there a time-tested rechargeable 9v that is good for the job?

Could also be the lower voltage. Rechargeable 9v really only put out like 8.4v

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What’s the best value for a high gain head/amp right now anyways?

i'm really out of date with current modelling amps so I hope there's something in the $200 range that's just a sim plus power amp that can go to 100w

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just installed the new AxeFXIII FW 22.00 with the 40 new dyna-cabs and learned it also includes brand new models of the REVV Generator 120. REVV purple into Marshall 1960TV cabs straight rock candy baby. My fingertips are singing as I've just set down my new Epiphone 50's Standard LP.

I try not to add the stereo pitch detune but it's. SO. FAT.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 9, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My JC40 continues to boringly be everything I’ve ever needed in an amp. Especially with the 10 band EQ I run at the end of my chain. I might move it into the effects loop if I’m feeling really saucy.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

TheKub posted:

What are your pickups and do they work with normal 9v?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I wish there was a way to use a sort of hybrid setup and maybe I’m just doing something wrong.
you probably are doing something wrong and could fix it turning some knobs or pressing buttons but have no fear there is a more expensive solution

and you're not going to like it, because it's a hx stomp xl or a helix or similar other brand multi effects pedal which basically replaces your interface and DI entirely and works really well with real pedals. I recommend one with at least one fx send return so you can put pedals wherever you want in your chain.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheKub posted:

they make some labeled specifically as for musical instruments/equipment

I picked these up and they do the job
https://www.amazon.com/9V-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries-Devices9V/dp/B09N1RWWD7

TheKub
May 11, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

What are your pickups and do they work with normal 9v?

EMG 81/85 humbuckers. They work fine with the alkaline battery it came with.

There was another review on the product page that I missed that said "The internal switching voltage inverter which creates the >9v output and allows this simple recharge feature generates RF interference. "

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they make some labeled specifically as for musical instruments/equipment

I picked these up and they do the job
https://www.amazon.com/9V-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries-Devices9V/dp/B09N1RWWD7

I went ahead and ordered these. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wow the rechargeable has a little switching circuit inside? Yea that'll do it. That's wild.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish there was some sort of ios version of Boss Tone Studio. I hate having to lug my amp over to my PC whenever I wanna try out a different set of effects.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i use a 30 ft usb cable

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

wow the rechargeable has a little switching circuit inside? Yea that'll do it. That's wild.

If you have a 9V that can charge from USB, it’ll probably have a boost converter in it. USB gives you 5 volts*, the only practical way that gets up to 9 volts is with a switching power supply.

(* yes you can get higher than this with more recent USB standards but you can’t practically require that for something like this; everyone is going to expect it to work with any USB power source)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Arcsech posted:

If you have a 9V that can charge from USB, it’ll probably have a boost converter in it. USB gives you 5 volts*, the only practical way that gets up to 9 volts is with a switching power supply.

(* yes you can get higher than this with more recent USB standards but you can’t practically require that for something like this; everyone is going to expect it to work with any USB power source)

makes sense! That's really interesting.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Also: as an experiment I made a fancy pants DI box for my audio interface to see if I could use real distortion pedals with my amp sims. Sadly I just can’t get it to sound right and have to rely on the digital models of whatever pedals are available in the various sims. I wish there was a way to use a sort of hybrid setup and maybe I’m just doing something wrong.

I’m doing what I think you’re trying to do now and it’s working out well. My whole chain is: guitar, drive pedals, iRig HD2 interface, MacBook, mixwave amp plugin, back out of interface into a few more pedals, into the effects return of my amp. What about it isn’t sounding right?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

been playing a lot just D/I late at night/early in the morning. writing some mellow stuff.

paternoster is correct. the middle pickup on a strat rules.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've posted before about how I record little guitar videos (by request) for my friends on Facebook. A few of them (and my wife) convinced me to formalize the process and so I started a channel on YT/IG/TT where I decided my initial 'gimmick' will be top 5 metal riffs every year since I was born - I get to pick one and I have 5 or 6 metalhead friends on my "riff committee" that pick the rest. I'm about 7 years (1 per week) in, and having a blast. Trying to use it as an excuse to actually try to get better at recording/mixing/video editing, etc. instead of just noodling around and never posting anything.

Anyway someone asked me what my setup is, and I said that it was a Scarlett Solo -> Logic -> DSP Plugins (I'm a chronic minimalist so this is ideal for me) and got mocked for the Solo. I know this is A Thing in online guitar discourse, but is there an actual reason I would want to upgrade from that to something better/more expensive other than it's Babby's First Interface? My needs are simply to get a DI guitar and bass track into logic as easily as possible.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

fullroundaction posted:

I've posted before about how I record little guitar videos (by request) for my friends on Facebook. A few of them (and my wife) convinced me to formalize the process and so I started a channel on YT/IG/TT where I decided my initial 'gimmick' will be top 5 metal riffs every year since I was born - I get to pick one and I have 5 or 6 metalhead friends on my "riff committee" that pick the rest. I'm about 7 years (1 per week) in, and having a blast. Trying to use it as an excuse to actually try to get better at recording/mixing/video editing, etc. instead of just noodling around and never posting anything.

Anyway someone asked me what my setup is, and I said that it was a Scarlett Solo -> Logic -> DSP Plugins (I'm a chronic minimalist so this is ideal for me) and got mocked for the Solo. I know this is A Thing in online guitar discourse, but is there an actual reason I would want to upgrade from that to something better/more expensive other than it's Babby's First Interface? My needs are simply to get a DI guitar and bass track into logic as easily as possible.

You’ll never be pro until you buy a console and tape machine. Also what are your tone woods?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Guitar: swamp ash body, royal ebony fingerboard, walnut neck (satin finish)

Bass: swamp ash body, burled maple top, flamed maple fingerboard, 5 piece walnut/maple neck (gloss finish)

Should I switch everything to alder moving forward?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

well I suppose I could plug direct into my solo and use helix native/logic pro and then play the same thing into the fancy helix direct into helix native/logic proand theoretically they should be the same right? but if I allowed myself to do that comparison and they sound the same then I'd have a very expensive floorbrick

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

landgrabber posted:

been playing a lot just D/I late at night/early in the morning. writing some mellow stuff.

paternoster is correct. the middle pickup on a strat rules.

my most free and on the beam/in the zone playing comes in the middle of the night like if I nap and wake up at 1 am and just grab a guitar it's great

p sure geniuses like leonardo and Kramer had similar thoughts about inspiration and sleep patterns

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

my most free and on the beam/in the zone playing comes in the middle of the night like if I nap and wake up at 1 am and just grab a guitar it's great

p sure geniuses like leonardo and Kramer had similar thoughts about inspiration and sleep patterns

I really need to get a D/I because I can only reasonably play between like 6pm (after work) and 9pm (so I don't bother neighbours) and it can feel stressy and and worst, kind of a chore, to do that, and I've always been kind of a night owl who'll kick open a project at 10pm if I can.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm weird or lazy I'm surrounded by amps and interfaces but I play unplugged electric 999999% of the time

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

swamp rear end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

swamp rear end

it's got the best tone

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I'm weird or lazy I'm surrounded by amps and interfaces but I play unplugged electric 999999% of the time

Yeah, that's not going to help my death-grip tendencies, also I like it when the guitar is like beowowowowoowww

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

maybe this is just a really stupid idea but i remember hearing that the air had more negative ions in it at night or something.

but also i'm pretty sure near the ocean there're more negative ions in the air-- and staying at the beach near the ocean a couple years ago was the most inspired i'd ever been during the day. i always wondered if there was a connection there-- if other people who love being up at night also thrive near the ocean.

but idk it kind of comes across as like facebook Wellness post poo poo so it's not something i've thought much about

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

zelah posted:

I’m doing what I think you’re trying to do now and it’s working out well. My whole chain is: guitar, drive pedals, iRig HD2 interface, MacBook, mixwave amp plugin, back out of interface into a few more pedals, into the effects return of my amp. What about it isn’t sounding right?

Hmmm it either sounded dull or blown-out but I'll try it again because I could've just hosed it up.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are you all putting a reverb after your cab sim so that it sounds like its an amp in a room and not DI

this is advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're running into an amp you shouldn't be using a cab sim.