Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh boy, Titans is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My kid and I have been watching Moon Girl lately. It's pretty good, but definitely skewed towards a younger crowd, it's very much a tween show. Looks great though and has some good lessons, if you have kids it's worth checking out

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Today's Titans ep has cameos from many DC things, although most of it was stock footage. The highlights though were the actual new footage they shot, first with Stargirl, then with Grant Morrison, playing themselves appearing to Beast Boy through the Bleed (not sure if that's what they call it on the show but that's where he is)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Argue posted:

Today's Titans ep has cameos from many DC things, although most of it was stock footage. The highlights though were the actual new footage they shot, first with Stargirl, then with Grant Morrison, playing themselves appearing to Beast Boy through the Bleed (not sure if that's what they call it on the show but that's where he is)

Finally, The Writer makes their live action debut.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

glitchwraith posted:

Finally, The Writer makes their live action debut.

Gunn can cast them in the Suicide Squad sequel!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Superman & Lois came back, so I've been slowly catching up on the current season. Am I supposed to know what Intergang is aside from having a really goofy name, or who Mannheim is? He wasn't in past seasons I'm pretty sure, but everyone acts like he's been around forever and he's name dropping Lex Luthor.

Outside of that confusing plot stuff, I like this season as so far it's given Superman a problem he can't fix by being Superman.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hatelull posted:

Superman & Lois came back, so I've been slowly catching up on the current season. Am I supposed to know what Intergang is aside from having a really goofy name, or who Mannheim is? He wasn't in past seasons I'm pretty sure, but everyone acts like he's been around forever and he's name dropping Lex Luthor.

Outside of that confusing plot stuff, I like this season as so far it's given Superman a problem he can't fix by being Superman.

Intergang is "what if the mafia was backed by darkseid"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Superman showed up before this current TV show so was any of this established there? I didn't watch Supergirl. Or is it just being written as if there's this past history because this show obviously starts late in the lives of the family.

I vaguely know of Intergang and Mannheim just from general comicbook osmosis over the years (though I think Intergang was in the Superman TAS I watched back in the day)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Intergang and Mannheim are classic lower-tier ongoing Superman villains. They weren't in the show before, it's just taken for granted that they've existed in this Superman and Lois's history.
That being said, that more community-minded version of Bruno Mannheim is a S&L invention.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is very funny that Superman & Lois does a better job with super speed scenes than The Flash.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sweet Tooth season 2 just dropped and that is based on a comic book (though seems a lot happier than said comic book)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

It is very funny that Superman & Lois does a better job with super speed scenes than The Flash.

I think Superman and Lois has a much higher budget.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Depends if they mean the Flash show or movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Depends if they mean the Flash show or movie

No one posting here has seen the Flash movie yet and this is the tv thread, so I assumed the tv show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not a surprise but the series finale of Titans sucked. Brother Blood summons Trigon and then just... kills him? Then they go to Star Labs which turns out to have a secret wormhole machine that can somehow teleport Earth to Tamarind and Brother Blood is going to crash the planets into each other for reasons. The big finale is Nightwing and Robin just beating up Brother Blood until Starfire blows him up. Also Superboy died at the end of the previous episode from rocks falling on him but then he gets brought back to life through an injection of red-K and epinephrin.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

muscles like this! posted:

Not a surprise but the series finale of Titans sucked. Brother Blood summons Trigon and then just... kills him? Then they go to Star Labs which turns out to have a secret wormhole machine that can somehow teleport Earth to Tamarind and Brother Blood is going to crash the planets into each other for reasons. The big finale is Nightwing and Robin just beating up Brother Blood until Starfire blows him up. Also Superboy died at the end of the previous episode from rocks falling on him but then he gets brought back to life through an injection of red-K and epinephrin.

Truly the Riverdale DC deserved

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What happened to Gar and Raven?

Already dead? In another dimension? Just forgotten?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azubah posted:

What happened to Gar and Raven?

Already dead? In another dimension? Just forgotten?

They survived, and Gar is connected to The Red. Like the actual endings for the characters isn't horrible, just the whole thing was a bit of a narrative dud. I'd pretty much like to see any of these actors play these characters again, but they need completely different writers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Gar is basically doing the Animal Man thing of being connected to the Red (including an adaptation of the Freedom Beast arc and doing the Animal Man thing of stepping outside his universe and meeting G.Mo)

With Trigon dead Raven decided to just go live a normal life and ends the series going to college in Bludhaven.

Tim decides to split his Robin time between Gotham and Metropolis because his boyfriend is a scientist at Star Labs.

Superboy's thing is hanging out with Clark (who does not appear on screen.)

Dove and Donna Troy get no follow up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1658586461988605952

Echo dropping all episodes at once makes me think they don't have much faith in it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1658586461988605952

Echo dropping all episodes at once makes me think they don't have much faith in it.

that's my read as well, which would fit with a lot of the rumors about it, but we'll see.

Seems increasingly likely that Ironheart, What If S2, and X-Men '97 have been delayed into next year, though I guess there's still a chance that one of them could premiere in December. Kind of perplexing with respect to What If in particular, since that already had an episode screened at SDCC last year, and by most accounts, it's been completed for some time

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's a little strange that they'd water down the Loki announcement with the Echo announcement. Isn't Loki really popular?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gonna guess loki s2 has a lot of jonathan majors in it that they don't want to talk about now

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

gonna guess loki s2 has a lot of jonathan majors in it that they don't want to talk about now

fwiw, rumor is that he is not the main antagonist of the season and has less screen time than you'd expect, though he is allegedly in multiple episodes this time. we'll see

live with fruit posted:

It's a little strange that they'd water down the Loki announcement with the Echo announcement. Isn't Loki really popular?

This was part of Disney's upfronts today, so that's presumably why they were announced together

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

You've got it backwards, they aren't watering down Loki, they're trying to build up Echo by using Loki's popularity. Like when some new show premieres after the Super Bowl.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I can’t believe Disney would think that a show all about the breakout character of Hawkeye, other than the new Hawkeye, wouldn’t capture America’s attention.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I can’t believe Disney would think that a show all about the breakout character of Hawkeye, other than the new Hawkeye, wouldn’t capture America’s attention.

Tony Dalton's getting a show? Or do you mean Pizza Dog?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

live with fruit posted:

Tony Dalton's getting a show? Or do you mean Pizza Dog?

I mean Echo! You remember, the character who is never called Echo in Hawkeye. You were very excited to see where their story would go. You were excited for Echo.

In other news, the Y The Last Man tv series that came a decade too late and nobody cared about is being removed from Hulu due to cost cutting. It will not be available anywhere, as if it never existed.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not a comic book property but it's pretty surprising that they're taking The World According to Jeff Goldblum off. He was the face of NatGeo when they launched Disney+.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Echo is going to basically be a Daredevil prequel so that should draw some people in

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

In other news, the Y The Last Man tv series that came a decade too late and nobody cared about is being removed from Hulu due to cost cutting. It will not be available anywhere, as if it never existed.

I watched it six months ago and was first impressed, then I was disappointed, then I forgot it ever existed.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Opopanax posted:

Echo is going to basically be a Daredevil prequel so that should draw some people in

Daredevil is one of the shows being disrupted from filming because of WGA picketing, so that suggests that they think they'll have it ready by shortly after the Echo drop anyway, if they want to use Echo as a lead in or carrot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I see American Born Chinese is starting soon on D+ and everything I have seen about it looks very different from the comic, although I am guessing the core theme will be the same (ie a Chino-American has a hard time coming to terms with both of his identities and tries to act more "American" because he is worried about people associating him with harmful Chinese stereotypes"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know anything about it other than the ads, but I liked what I saw up until the supernatural stuff. If it was just a period piece (?) about a kid in high school, I’d check it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The comic is kind of split up in three parts. First is a kid in high school. Second is a myth involving the monkey king and the third is new kid in high school with the original kid who pretty much personifies every terrible stereotype about Chinese people (yes the new kid is pretty much the main kid's fears about how is seen and his perception of being Chinese in America given form). Personally I wasn't the hugest fan of the comic thinking the monkey king stuff didn't really tie in as neatly as it should have. The trailer for the show makes it look like it is leaning towards the first story before it becomes some epic action adventure story.
For the Gene Luen Yang's stuff I really recommend Boxers and Saints. That one is excellent.

edit: Gene Luen Yang gives a good interview about the Chinese stereotype character in this article

Madkal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 24, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 6, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Secret Invasion

https://www.theinvasionhasbegun.com/?c=us

RSD3PX5N7S

Looks great. Can't wait.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I went into American Born Chinese knowing nothing about the source material and binged it in two days. Highly enjoyable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheDK posted:

I went into American Born Chinese knowing nothing about the source material and binged it in two days. Highly enjoyable.

One of the actors is apparently friend of some friends. I don't know him, but my friends were very excited to see him on the show. (I haven't watched it yet, but plan to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1668435011450617857?s=20