Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1666730670633230336?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

You know, I'm not even going to say it any longer. It's obviously all real. At this point the Russians are beyond parody.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

HonorableTB posted:

Doesn't matter that the UN's purpose is discussion and talk because the outcomes of those talks is toothless almost every time unless the countries in question are weak minor regional powers in which intervention wouldn't cause a big kerfuffle. When it comes to the real problems like nuclear states attacking weaker neighbors it is useless by design because the purpose of the UN design was to have nuclear states pointlessly talk to other nuclear states instead of take action and therefore the UN is fundamentally useless when it comes to issues of global importance if one of the parties is sufficiently strong enough and in the process the UN upholds the ideals of the sphere of influence in geopolitics. This is true of Russia invading Ukraine just as it was true of the US invading Grenada et al.

It's a pointless institution that hasn't actually prevented any conflict between nuclear powers (notably India and Pakistan went to war in 1999, and the Indo-Chinese conflicts, and Israel's many, many interventions in surrounding middle eastern states but most important the time they threatened Richard Nixon with invoking the Samson Option during the Yom Kippur War which would have fired nukes at every belligerent nation invading Israel). Every time there's been a REAL issue (the US missiles in Turkey during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Able Archer 87, etc) it's been solved through direct superpower to superpower back channels and not through the UN. The closest you can even get to that is the Cuban missile crisis where the US called the Soviets out on the floor of the UN when Adlai Stevenson accused the Soviets accurately of constructing MRBM sites in Cuba.

It's fundamentally useless for everything involving a nuclear state and that makes the whole thing kayfabe window dressing that is indistinguishable from normal back channels from country to country in terms of effect. I posit that if the US directly killing Soviet pilots in the Vietnam War didn't start a nuclear conflict the whole loving thing is pointless because that by itself was enough to trigger a nuclear conflict by the published doctrines of both superpowers and they wisely decided to ignore it and not trigger nuclear conflict because that would be incredibly stupid, yet they maintain the facade of UN and international dialogues for some reason despite none of it mattering at all because what really matters is what happens behind the scenes on the red phone hotline between Washington and Moscow.

The same thing holds true in 2023 as did in 1962. Nobody's going to nuke anyone, the UN Security Council is only good for bullying non-major, non-nuclear powers, and any good done by UN interventions was purely incidental in circumstances where they could act without substantial pushback. And even then, UN actions sometimes made poo poo worse, like in Rwanda.

TLDR: The UN doesn't matter because it doesn't have a universally effective enforcement mechanism due to the fundamental flaw of "the most important members of the UN which provide the tooth to enforcement will not enforce judgements against themselves" and that makes a toothless, ineffective international organization unless you're one of the poor nations that is subject to the whims of the security council since they can enforce measures upon you without you being able to do anything in return

Edit 2: I am fully aware of the purpose of the UN and of the mechanisms by which it operates. Those mechanisms working as they do does not make it a GOOD or EFFECTIVE system, and it doesn't make people who disagree with this system ignorant of how it works or guilty of misinterpreting why and how the UN operates. Rather, its because those things ARE understood that disagreement comes up, because those methods are loving poo poo.

That's a lot of words to say "I want a global military to keep all those pesky sub-countries in line."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I'm not even going to say it any longer. It's obviously all real. At this point the Russians are beyond parody.

So they what, mined the dam and then let the water level get extra high and then popped it in the middle of the night?

That's some snidley whiplash poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

So this is the flavor of political backstabbed-dear-leader messaging that comes out of Russia I guess? "They stole it all!" Seems all corrupt authoritarian regimes go through this where they can't call out the head honcho for loving up so lackeys come up with some flavor of betrayal story line to eliminate political opposition and cover their own rear end using those failures.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sushko isn't reliable and his thing previously has been presenting material supposedly from russian sources with no verification beyond 'trust me bro' so I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions from that. and I say that as someone who thinks that the russians blowing the dam is by far the most likely scenario.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 8, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sushko isn't reliable and his thing previously has been presenting material supposedly from russian sources with no verification beyond 'trust me bro' so I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions from that. and I say that as someone who thinks that the russians blowing the dam is by far the most likely scenario.

Was just about to say this. His whole "Letters from the FSB" schtick wore very thin by the end.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Friendship with Wagner ended. Now Akhmat is my new best friend.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Capture Poland and France and reach Germany."

Someone doesn't know basic geography.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

orange juche posted:

So they what, mined the dam and then let the water level get extra high and then popped it in the middle of the night?

That's some snidley whiplash poo poo.

Starting to think these russians might be bad…

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Capture Poland and France and reach Germany."

Someone doesn't know basic geography.

Or they want to go for a pincer maneuver. Do the Last Big War in reverse.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

That's a lot of words to say "I want a global military to keep all those pesky sub-countries in line."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like at least one assault brigade has been committed to Tokmak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/08/tense-fighting-reported-as-ukrainian-forces-go-on-attack-south-of-zaporizhzhia

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wW7pZDXxA

Found these assessments interesting.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/SmartUACat/status/1666397214560731137?s=20

Disclaimer: No idea is this account is legit, but I assume demolition/structural engineer twitter will catch any BS fairly soon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/SmartUACat/status/1666397214560731137?s=20

Disclaimer: No idea is this account is legit, but I assume demolition/structural engineer twitter will catch any BS fairly soon.

Plausible. The amount of energy stored by high water in a dam is incredible, measurable in tons of TNT, and dams are designed to contain that kind of power. Granted, high explosive energy isn't the same as an enormous mass of water, but well made dams are overbuilt, and that's significant in resisting explosives.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

A.o.D. posted:

Plausible. The amount of energy stored by high water in a dam is incredible, measurable in tons of TNT, and dams are designed to contain that kind of power. Granted, high explosive energy isn't the same as an enormous mass of water, but well made dams are overbuilt, and that's significant in resisting explosives.

As I recall it, the Nova Kakhovka Dam was also specifically built to resist a NATO bombardment campaign in case the Cold War went hot, so was made extra sturdy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah definitely plausible. By virtue of being a big monolithic hunk of concrete, dams are awfully fuckin sturdy*. 1000kg is a far cry from being enough to destroy a 50m long structure as the tweet describes. If you lay that 1000kg out along the length of the dam you get 20kg/meter which would do much but surficial cracking right in the vicinity of the charge. Piled behind a lock yeah it'll have a fair chance of dislodging the gate(s), but large scale structural failure? Naw.

*Earthen embankment dams perhaps somewhat less so, make a channel for water and let nature take its course, eventually.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Y'all making me want to watch Force 10 from Navarone.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They went to all that effort, and then used MiG-29 silhouettes on the thumbnail.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666974033215102977?t=ICZKKpSLX4OZw6gW41gqgQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666974036558069761?t=5dLdmko2NwRqPlz9XlBAWA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666974039489781760?t=Wj41twb4o8vf5lpsZVmyjA&s=19

Some unfortunate but not all bad news.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666988175670083587?t=PN7eLveBQF5tdIFqE2V8Pw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666988178887135232?t=H-e7Oul3bhc19Rt_PfZOPw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1666988182385184772?t=L3-AY9db1nju3aUb8dFrng&s=19

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Madurai posted:

They went to all that effort, and then used MiG-29 silhouettes on the thumbnail.

Honestly, as soon as I registered the AI generated narration I stopped watching.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arrath posted:

Yeah definitely plausible. By virtue of being a big monolithic hunk of concrete, dams are awfully fuckin sturdy*. 1000kg is a far cry from being enough to destroy a 50m long structure as the tweet describes. If you lay that 1000kg out along the length of the dam you get 20kg/meter which would do much but surficial cracking right in the vicinity of the charge. Piled behind a lock yeah it'll have a fair chance of dislodging the gate(s), but large scale structural failure? Naw.

*Earthen embankment dams perhaps somewhat less so, make a channel for water and let nature take its course, eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7xwX-RvJY0&t=114s

how much damage would explosives do from inside the dam, through boreholes or inside internal structures of the dam? The dam may have been designed to take a direct hit from a bomb externally, even multiple armor piercing hits, but if you put it deep enough in the right place with enough boom, I think you could seriously dislodge enough of the dam for water to do its thing.

Also re: "counteroffensives" you won't know it's happened until it actually pops off and there's a breach of the Russian defensive lines. The Ukrainians aren't going to commit their forces until they find the crack in the Russian lines where they can widen it into a massive breach. Smashing into strong points would be dumb and a waste of their most powerful assets, so they're not going to do that. They'll poke and poke until they find the section of the line that the Russians are slow to respond in/don't respond in, and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 9, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

orange juche posted:

Also re: "counteroffensives" you won't know it's happened until it actually pops off and there's a breach of the Russian defensive lines. The Ukrainians aren't going to commit their forces until they find the crack in the Russian lines where they can widen it into a massive breach.
Yeah, the tankie cope is very deliberately ignorant of the concept of reconnaissance-in-force. It's still very early days and there's not much to go off of one way or another.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
It is being reported by western media that brigade size actions are already taking place, thats a little heavy for recon by fire. But you are correct as in we will not know much for several weeks unless a major breakthrough/defeat occurs and just snippets of video that each side decides to release. This offensive will probably resemble that of the Kherson offensive, a slow grind with bite and hold tactics. God willing there is a breakthrough, but Russia still has a lot dudes with guns to throw at the Ukrainians.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Raphael fighters, arrrghghh

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Arrath posted:

I assume you wouldn't lay out along the length. You would put all explosives in one place to make a small hole and let the water do the rest.
Exactly the same how a dam self destructs after you got a small hole for other reasons, like shoddy maintenance or being underbuilt.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's weird that we're still debating this, when there's been ample seismic, geospatial, and expert analysis that have been released or at least confirmed in the past day pointing to it being a deliberate act of sabotage with explosives.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psydude posted:

It's weird that we're still debating this, when there's been ample seismic, geospatial, and expert analysis that have been released or at least confirmed in the past day pointing to it being a deliberate act of sabotage with explosives.

Some folks still need to shake the whole "it makes no sense for russia to do X" out of their head.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean the sense is that by raising the water level downstream of the dam by 10-12 meters, they've made a river crossing below the dam impossible. It tracks that Russia doesn't give a gently caress about the people living in those places because Ukrainians have no right to exist in their stated reasons for invading liberating opressed Ethnic Russians (said Ethnic Russians have been a huge casualty of the war because lmao Russian troops are warcriming indiscriminately).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Once the water level normalizes, though, however long that takes, won't it ultimately mean that the area above the dam is now more easily crossed, so it really just expands how large a riverbank the Russians need to defend in earnest?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

orange juche posted:

how much damage would explosives do from inside the dam, through boreholes or inside internal structures of the dam? The dam may have been designed to take a direct hit from a bomb externally, even multiple armor piercing hits, but if you put it deep enough in the right place with enough boom, I think you could seriously dislodge enough of the dam for water to do its thing.

That would be the traditional method, but it takes a lot of time to drill very many boreholes (and you'll be dealing with the reinforcing steel, as well). Using internal structures is a good approach, too.

VictualSquid posted:

I assume you wouldn't lay out along the length. You would put all explosives in one place to make a small hole and let the water do the rest.
Exactly the same how a dam self destructs after you got a small hole for other reasons, like shoddy maintenance or being underbuilt.

You're right, you wouldn't lay out a little line charge. I just used that to illustrate how small a quantity of explosives that is relative to a dam. You'd strategically target a lock, spillway gate, intake tunnel valve, or the like and the 1,000kg as in the tweet would be an ample quantity to get that job done.

psydude posted:

Oh I fully believe Russia did it, I just like talking about blowing stuff up. :shobon:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Once the water level normalizes, though, however long that takes, won't it ultimately mean that the area above the dam is now more easily crossed, so it really just expands how large a riverbank the Russians need to defend in earnest?

Yup, it's a one time trick that compromises the long term defensibility of the Russian positions. However, I'd your reasoning is that you need more time NOW, it makes some amount of sense. That's not to say whether or not it was a good long term strategic move.

Plus, you know, a war crime.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd guess everything that used to be lake bed will be covered by several feet of fine silt that would make spring mud seem like concrete in comparison.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Caconym posted:

I'd guess everything that used to be lake bed will be covered by several feet of fine silt that would make spring mud seem like concrete in comparison.

Plus there's no more fish to flop right into the driver's lap for an easy lunch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Caconym posted:

it's this, the bottom of that lake bed is going to be like 5 meters of silt that will absolutely swallow anything that attempts to cross it after it drains without a trace. You don't gently caress with the silt at the bottom of a lake bed, it will absolutely eat you alive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It will dry out eventually, and then you'll have a much smaller obstacle. This was a man made reservoir, it won't have millenia of deposits laid down. Itll be an ungodly mess for weeks or even a few months, but in terms of conducting a military crossing, not much longer than that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't think it was to create an obstacle. I think it was to divert Ukrainian and international resources away from the counter offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really don't see what's so surprising about Russia doing this purely out of spite and for the intentional purpose of terrorism and ecocide against Ukrainian civilians, agriculture, and industry. These are the people who are using rare cruise missiles to target schools, hospitals, malls, and residential areas. Like look at these bastards who are shelling and shooting at rescuers and fleeing civilians, and preventing civilians on their side from escaping the floods.

Punishing Ukraine for refusing to bend the knee is reason enough for these people