Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

B U T A T W H A T C O S T ? !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a mediocre snipe but it could prob be the thread title at this point

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

do the clean air at what cost if that's going to be the thread title imo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Human life but at what cost?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Good posts but at what cost?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I can’t believe it’s not butatwhatcost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
atwhatcostaboutism

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Time to reinvade

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Kindest Forums User posted:

Good posts but at what cost?

thread title should be "Saving money and lives...but at what cost?"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

KomradeX posted:

It rules that it's blatantly obvious the CIA has played major, if not central roles in the global drug trade. But because theybsaid they aren't and no we can't see the proof we have to besiege them.

and the British before that, starting actual wars to ensure market access

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I think this might be the right thread for it. I'm reading Civil–Military Relations in Indonesia: The Politics of Military Operations Other Than War and I get the feeling that this might be a bit of an understatement:

Say, did anything happen between 1965-66 in Indonesia that might effect the Civil-Military relationship? Because that's as close as the book gets to mentioning anything.

it says right there: the 30th of September happened in 1965

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Frosted Flake posted:

I think this might be the right thread for it. I'm reading Civil–Military Relations in Indonesia: The Politics of Military Operations Other Than War and I get the feeling that this might be a bit of an understatement:

Say, did anything happen between 1965-66 in Indonesia that might effect the Civil-Military relationship? Because that's as close as the book gets to mentioning anything.

wasn’t the “communist inspired soldiers” thing literally a false flag operation by suharto?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

wasn’t the “communist inspired soldiers” thing literally a false flag operation by suharto?

There are a lot of "institutes" pushing narratives on that one so good luck.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

It rules that it's blatantly obvious the CIA has played major, if not central roles in the global drug trade. But because theybsaid they aren't and no we can't see the proof we have to besiege them.

The UK used to be the biggest drug dealers. Makes sense that when the US inherited the empire, the US became the biggest drug dealers.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

The full text of the quote in the final paragraph is a brief BMJ article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2386629/

Working for a year in the Kabul children’s hospital in the 1970s gave me a perspective on Afghanistan that conflicts with the Foreign Office’s view that “the Taliban is promoting opium production to finance terrorism.”1

The simple facts are that opium production was high under the US influenced government of Afghanistan of the 1970s, decreased 10-fold by 2001 under the Taliban, and then increased 30-fold and more under the US to the same level as in the 1970s.2

History shows us how empires function; be they British or US. The East India Company organised the opium trade through “free traders”—men with fast ships and guns to fend off the pirates. One of the most famous free traders was Francis Light, founder of the British province of Penang. These are facts, whereas the idea that the CIA runs opium from Afghanistan would be a conspiracy theory—unless, you thought about the United Nations statistics or happened to have been to Afghanistan.

I wonder if “Clive of the East India Company,” whose statue is outside the Foreign Office’s front door, has influenced its interpretation of world events.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
america is doomed

https://twitter.com/rachelinchina2/status/1666971925078487040?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Food on the train, but at what cost?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Jianbing is awesome.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hmmmm and the Fentanyl crisis was accelerating across the US in 2021...hmmmm probably not connected at all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yes i did know this and ive done it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Food on the train, but at what cost?

A modest premium, I'd assume

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

fart simpson posted:

yes i did know this and ive done it

what's public healthcare like there?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

check this out

lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fart simpson posted:

Yes

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Truga posted:

check this out

lmao

can satellites distinguish between the two? how is this measured?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
telling red from green is indeed the most common problem for colorblind satellites

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Truga posted:

check this out

lmao

Taliban ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Taliban ftw

more and more people are saying this!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You can, under certain circumstances, hand it to them a little bit.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But who were all of those SF Poppy Eradication Team guys we weren't allowed to talk to...?

:thunk:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Truga posted:

check this out

lmao

Makes me real curious what's happened to heroin prices on western markets in the last two years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that is why Fentanyl is so big.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

it's also why the MIC and media poo poo a brick when Biden saw the departure through

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's also why the MIC and media poo poo a brick when Biden saw the departure through

Could Biden be our most anti-cia president?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol that google search says when searching “fentanyl” that China makes it and sends it to the USA though Mexico as a fact

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Remember when the CIA had a desperate sitdown with the Taliban after they liberated the county to desperately plead to not do this. Probably the real reason we confiscated their reserve, to just give to the CIA to make up for their heroin losses

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

O_o, this is a strange series of events since they made a big deal out of havana syndrome.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ranter posted:

what's public healthcare like there?

my experience with it (only outpatient stuff, a few minor urgent care visits after hours) has been pretty good. a lot better than it used to be

costs are subsidized and you can pay out of a national health account that you pay into as part of your social security taxes. out of pocket for unsubsidized medications or if your account ran out of money

things are very electronic and efficient, you book appointments, pay bills, see test results all from an app and waiting times are generally pretty fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I mean this isn't something special. The Indian Railways has had a similar system since forever.