Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you want to say Trump is more blatant about it, if you find that disturbing, fair enough, I agree. But the claim I responded to was in regards to the prior GOP having a respect for democracy, which I struggle to square with a violent assault on the people counting ballots.

Being more scared of the guy with a failed insurrection than the guy who successfully stole an election seems a bit backwards and I am baffled by your seeming to place it on the same level of severity as "cancel culture bullshit."

The original claim was about elections being a referendum on democracy (well, fascism). Bush's GOP might have had no respect for the concept of democracy, but it didn't openly run on a platform of opposing it the way Trump's does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Baronash posted:

The Florida Supreme Court agreed, which is why they ordered the statewide hand recount that Sir Kodiak was referring to.

Because there wasn’t enough time for a full statewide recount at that point. Had Gore not gotten greedy, a statewide recount probably would have still swung his way. Alternately, he could have just won his own state :sparkles:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bel Shazar posted:

Unfortunately, I dont think you can have 100 bushes without getting 200 Trumps. It's the 'good' republicans who greased the skids for the virulent ones.
Inarguably. But the idea that fascism has been on the ballot for every election in living memory is ridiculous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deteriorata posted:

You're thinking of the 14th amendment, which has been used successfully on an rear end in a top hat in Arizona who was at the 1/6 party.

Ah, yes.

I'm thinking that some of those espionage charges may lead there. I would not be surprised at all that he's traded on some classified information, and the tiny Pollyanna in me hopes that they're setting the table for it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CapnAndy posted:

Inarguably. But the idea that fascism has been on the ballot for every election in living memory is ridiculous.

There are people old enough to enlist for whom "living memory" consists of 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020. It's not a total stretch.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't that basically what every election in our lifetime has been

Eh, if Dole had beat Clinton in '96 I would have been bummed, but also 99.99% confident that there'd be an election in 2000 and that whoever lost would concede on live TV as soon as the 270 EV threshold was out of reach.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, and he was an authoritarian motherfucker with his "free speech zones" and his cancel culture bullshit and his "you agree with me 100% or you're a terrist" nonsense and the willful gaslighting of not just the country, but the entire world. And I'd take a hundred of him again, because at no point during his reign did I have any fear that the next elections simply would not happen.

Dude was absolutely the worst President in living memory before ol' trumpy. He also wasn't a tenth of the fascist that trump or desantis are.

I remember a few people openly worrying about the possibility of Cheney or someone allowing an October terrorism to happen so Bush could declare emergency powers and seize a third term, but yeah it wasn't a serious concern the way it was in 2020.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

raminasi posted:

The original claim was about elections being a referendum on democracy (well, fascism). Bush's GOP might have had no respect for the concept of democracy, but it didn't openly run on a platform of opposing it the way Trump's does.

I responded to a post that claimed that Bush's GOP had a respect for democracy. I felt that was worth pushing back against even if the larger point was true, in an effort to not normalize what he did.

That said, why is Trump running on a platform to pardon himself over charges regarding the handling of classified material in opposition to democracy? Like, Trump's reelection campaign will be a referendum on fascism, but I wouldn't think him explicitly stating that he'd pardon himself would make the top ten reasons why.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cabbit posted:

There are people old enough to enlist for whom "living memory" consists of 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020. It's not a total stretch.

“In living memory” means measuring from the oldest person’s memory. I.e. there’s a person alive who remembers the topic.

You don’t get to just pick a subset and make it exclusive. What would that even mean??? Could I use it as a synonym for “now” while referencing a newborn then? That’s what you just did, but I set the slider way low.

What.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cabbit posted:

I mean Mittens winning would have been bad but he wasn't Trump. The Republicans have been the bad party that's wrong about everything for my entire life but they've also gotten worse.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cabbit posted:

2004 is still W and he's still not fascist, and... 2008? 2012? C'mon, look me dead in the eye and tell me with a straight face that McCain or Romney would've mortally wounded the republic, I double dare you. They would have sucked. They would have cut taxes on the wealthy and ignored the climate crisis, gotten another lovely SC justice or two. My point remains, that ain't fascism.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Xiahou Dun posted:

“In living memory” means measuring from the oldest person’s memory. I.e. there’s a person alive who remembers the topic.

Then I guess I've got the wrong definition for the term. Oh well, my bad.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Because there wasn’t enough time for a full statewide recount at that point. Had Gore not gotten greedy, a statewide recount probably would have still swung his way. Alternately, he could have just won his own state :sparkles:

"There wasn't enough time" isn't a particularly strong argument when the explicit strategy of the Florida Secretary of State's office was to run out the clock, and the power to alter deadlines was within the Supreme Court's purview. More importantly, however, are you arguing that legal maneuvering in opposition to the will of the voters is fine as long as there is the veneer of "respecting the rules"? That's... certainly an argument.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 9, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Baronash posted:

"There wasn't enough time" isn't a particularly strong argument when the explicit strategy of the Florida Secretary of State's office was to run out the clock, and the power to alter deadlines was within the Supreme Court's purview. More importantly, however, are you arguing that legal maneuvering in opposition to the will of the voters is fine as long as there is the veneer of "respecting the rules"? That's... certainly an argument.

A quite common conservative argument.

Not to in any way imply that is TheDisreputableDog's argument

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
How significant is it, legally, that donald trump took the Oath of office?

Like, the federal govt has a vested interest in making it clear that you must take your Oath seriously. Now, ive never taken a public Oath, shouldnt (hypothetically) charging a rando like me with Espionage should require a much higher offence than charging someone that has Sworn a public Oath. And generally they punish harshly Oathbreakers - Chelsea Manning got loving tortured for much of a year, iirc.

Like, you can be a conman, a liar, etc and never Swear an Oath and hold Public Office and engage in a manner clearly contemptuous of the sworn oath.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Usually the gods themselves punish oath breakers. But sometimes they punish the oath breakers' kids instead, which had always struck me as some real bullshit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Usually the gods themselves punish oath breakers. But sometimes they punish the oath breakers' kids instead, which had always struck me as some real bullshit.

Well I know whose dad I shouldn’t trust I guess.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

How significant is it, legally, that donald trump took the Oath of office?

Like, the federal govt has a vested interest in making it clear that you must take your Oath seriously. Now, ive never taken a public Oath, shouldnt (hypothetically) charging a rando like me with Espionage should require a much higher offence than charging someone that has Sworn a public Oath. And generally they punish harshly Oathbreakers - Chelsea Manning got loving tortured for much of a year, iirc.

Like, you can be a conman, a liar, etc and never Swear an Oath and hold Public Office and engage in a manner clearly contemptuous of the sworn oath.

That specifically is what gets you barred from federal office via the 14th Amendment if you're involved in insurrection or rebellion. Hence the Arizona GOP member mentioned upthread who was involved in J6.

If you mean does an oath have any legal weight if you become a government official and then trample it? No, not really. A judge might side-eye you in court.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Next time we draft a new constitution, maybe define something as a crime that people who have sworn an oath can be charged with.

I mean, otherwise why require an oath?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Uglycat posted:

Next time we draft a new constitution, maybe define something as a crime that people who have sworn an oath can be charged with.

Because for people acting in good faith it's a solemn moment symbolizing the trust placed in them?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

The drafters of the Constitution were more concerned about preventing political persecution than they were about stacking extra charges onto people who committed crimes.

There are already crimes that only apply to people working for the government, like "deprivation of rights under color of law".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PainterofCrap posted:

Ah, yes.

I'm thinking that some of those espionage charges may lead there. I would not be surprised at all that he's traded on some classified information, and the tiny Pollyanna in me hopes that they're setting the table for it.

I don't think they're setting up demonstrating that's used the classified information for personal gain. From everything so far, it just sounds like they're hitting him with subsection e of the Espionage Act, which is the willful retention of national defense information. Which makes sense why they're indicting him in Florida: the entire willful retention of classified documents happened in Florida.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Deteriorata posted:

A quick Trump Legal Tangles Summary

1. Stormy Daniels hush-money -> tax fraud case in NY
30+ counts of felony tax fraud, trial scheduled for 3/25/2024

2. Maralago Classified Documents case in South Florida
7 felony counts, including violation of Espionage Act, Conspiracy to Obstruct Justice, and making false statements; no arraignment or trial date as yet

3. January 6 probe
USDOJ is still investigating.

4. Georgia election tampering
Investigation apparently done or nearly so. Indictments expected in August.

5. Trump business practices in NY
Letitia James is investigating tax fraud in the Trump Organization. Current status unknown.

6. E. Jean Carroll Sexual Assault/Rape civil lawsuit case
Fined $5M.
Further libeled Carroll in CNN townhall inverview, so she's resuing to boost damages to $10M.
He's appealing and countersuing.

Fun to be slowly transferring to the "There is always more and it is always better" chapter

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Technically there are two Carroll suits. He lost Carroll II and Carroll I is still hung up in whether the POTUS can defame anyone.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1667160251618021378

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1667138563241041925?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Trump Legal Troubles: "Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this,"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lol

lmao

I knew it was too good to be true.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why would anyone assign a judge with a massive conflict of interest for this case? Aren't judges supposed to be assigned randomly in the first place?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Y'all know that just because a judge was appointed by Trump doesn't mean that they are his footstool right? Though it's of course possible this one is, I don't know anything about them.

Also, they are randomly assigned to cases to prevent judge shopping.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Y'all know that just because a judge was appointed by Trump doesn't mean that they are his footstool right? Though it's of course possible this one is, I don't know anything about them.

This one specifically has a history of putting her thumb on the scale for the shithead who appointed her.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

They’re the one from the beginning of the documents investigation. The one who did a bunch of insane poo poo for him.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's the judge who appointed the special master when Trump tried to move the search warrant hearing by filing suit against the FBI in another district. She had no jurisdiction and it took an appeal from the FBI to the 11th Circuit to get it removed from her hands.

She even put forth arguments for Trump's side that his own lawyers didn't even try to argue, because they were so insane, and she was open to the idea that he still holds Executive Privilege and even the power to declassify, post-presidency.

Trump specially filed his suit in her district so she would get the case. She is absolutely compromised.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's actually likely Cannon got the case *because* she handled the prior document suit. One of the exceptions to random assignment is if a judge has already handled a related case, they often give her/him subsequent cases since the judge and chambers are already somewhat up to speed on things.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Why would anyone assign a judge with a massive conflict of interest for this case? Aren't judges supposed to be assigned randomly in the first place?

If they are issued randomly, there's a non-zero chance she was the one picked randomly. That's the issue with having to be "fair" in justice, you can't remove Justices because they may be biased for the defendant, because then you're knowingly tipping the scales against them and you end up with a 1/100 chance that the trial is decided in favor of the defendant before it begins.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quote:

On December 1, the Eleventh Circuit ordered the case to be dismissed because Cannon "improperly exercised equitable jurisdiction" over it.[53] The Eleventh Circuit stated that Trump needed to show that the case met all four criteria under the Richey test for equitable jurisdiction over lawsuits for seized materials, but failed to do so for any criteria.[54][55][56] The Eleventh Circuit found that under Cannon, "the district court stepped in with its own reasoning" multiple times to argue in favor of Trump, sometimes even taking positions that Trump would not argue before the appeals court.[57] The Eleventh Circuit also found that when Trump did not explain what materials he still needed returned, or why, the "district court was undeterred by this lack of information".[54][58][59]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileen_Cannon

She's not just some random GOP appointed judge. She's literally compromised and moved to help the dipshit using her powers as judge.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 9, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
This is loving absurd. Of all the judges, how does Cannon end up with this?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CapnAndy posted:

Dude was absolutely the worst President in living memory before ol' trumpy. He also wasn't a tenth of the fascist that trump or desantis are.

Reagan was worse than GWB.

gregday
May 23, 2003

She even cited Nixon as precedent that maybe Trump does have the power to take the documents.

The Presidential Records Act was created and passed because of what Nixon did.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens in the event of s GJ trial with an obviously compromised judge? Are there avenues to have a new judge assigned to oversee the case/sentencing or is the DoJ just poo poo outta luck, Trump gets to run for Dictator for Life 2024?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

JohnCompany posted:

It's actually likely Cannon got the case *because* she handled the prior document suit. One of the exceptions to random assignment is if a judge has already handled a related case, they often give her/him subsequent cases since the judge and chambers are already somewhat up to speed on things.

Similarly Judge Reinhardt, the one who signed off on the August search warrant, also had his name on Trump's summons to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Seems like there is precedent for the DOJ to push for Cannon's recusal, or removal, by the 11th Circuit since that is basically the route they took last time with her nonsense and they slapped down on her tactics.