Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So can we re-fight campaign bosses or naw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Avalerion posted:

Anyone got a good leveling build for druid to recommend? I'm doing okay against trash but trying to unlock some aspects and bosses just kick my rear end.

I'm doing a shred werewolf one to level. I'm sure it's not the most powerful or anything, but I'm having fun with it. The build I'm using is similar to this one, with a couple tweaks for how I prefer playing it. https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/shred-druid-leveling-guide

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

what am i supposed to do with all these drat sigils because im getting them faster than i can spend them

should i just trash t1 since im flying through them in a couple minutes

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Avalerion posted:

Anyone got a good leveling build for druid to recommend? I'm doing okay against trash but trying to unlock some aspects and bosses just kick my rear end.

I used this build and really enjoyed it, had no issues with anything really and felt powerful. Apologies for the formatting its early and pre coffee and I couldnt think of a way to do it better.

1 Storm Strike
2 Enhanced Storm Strike
3 Fierce Storm Strike
4 Tornado
5 Enhanced Tornado
6 Primal Tornado
7 Tornado
8 Tornado
9 Earthen Bulwark
10 Enhanced Earthen Bulwark
11 Innate Earthen Bulwark
12 Wolves
13 Poison Creeper
14 Ravens
15 Call of the Wild
16 Call of the Wild
17 Call of the Wild
18 Enhanced Wolves
19 Enhanced Poison Creeper
20 Ferocious Poison Creeper
21 Enhanced Ravens
22 Brutal Ravens
23 Neurotoxin
24 Defiance
25 Defiance
26 Defiance
27 Circle of Life
28 Circle of Life
29 Circle of Life
30 Resonance
31 Resonance
32 Resonance
33 Envenom
34 Perfect Storm
35 Envenom
36 Envenom
37 Heart of the Wild
38 Abundance
39 Abundance
40 Abundance
41 Wild Impulses
42 Wild Impulses
43 Wild Impulses
44 Tornado
45 Tornado
46 Wolves
47 Wolves
48 Brutal (or Ferocious) Wolves
49 Poison Creeper
50 Poison Creeper
51 Poison Creeper
52 Poison Creeper
53 Ancestral fortitude
54 Ancestral fortitude
55 Ancestral fortitude
56 Natural Disaster
57 Natural Disaster
58 Natural Disaster

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
Anyone running a 'screw any survivability for pure damage' sorc build for leveling? I was looking at the arc lash build on icy-veins and I had an idea about dropping defensive skills but I'm not sure what else I'd take. I do already tend to just rip poo poo apart but since its diablo I'm thinking if I can be even more rip-poo poo-aparter. The idea of blizzard on an enchant slot vs fire bolt seems like it may be cool, but fire bolt already adds damage so not sure how effective blizzard is.

Also its cool, here I am 40 yrs old with kids playing a game I last played in my teens with the same high school bros from then. Instead of LAN parties and pizza its 'hold on a sec my son wants to play for a bit', I even had to have my kid get my headset working. Getting old sure rules.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Thing about arc lash is your defensive stuff is specced to do an aoe blast and boost your damage while active

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

what am i supposed to do with all these drat sigils because im getting them faster than i can spend them

should i just trash t1 since im flying through them in a couple minutes

You eventually get the ability to salvage/craft more, but I'm not sure what the trigger is for that quest. I think if you do the first one a higher tier sigil will drop, do that one and it may unlock?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zelmel posted:

I'm doing a shred werewolf one to level. I'm sure it's not the most powerful or anything, but I'm having fun with it. The build I'm using is similar to this one, with a couple tweaks for how I prefer playing it. https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/shred-druid-leveling-guide

Yeah I did something close to this, although I also used ravens. The pack leader buff is really good when paired with all the crit chance bonuses that are tied to werewolf stuff, so you're just constantly pausing your werewolf antics long enough to call in zoo themed airstrikes on stuff.

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design

rap music posted:

Thing about arc lash is your defensive stuff is specced to do an aoe blast and boost your damage while active

Yea that's kinda what it looked like, and the mana regen on frost shield or whatever its called.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is anybody working on something like Path of Building for this game? I don't know how the people putting build guides together are measuring damage output, it's impossible for me to tell whether an item that gives "+X DPS" will actually decrease my DPS due to some affix difference.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Running around you some times see announcements of people being slain.
Seldom see this or where they died oddly enough.

Today within thirty minutes of one another I saw the dreaded tidings of two brave noble people that died in their quest to save the world.

First there was the almighty LimpDick.

If tragedy was not cruel enough young Turd died in his quest as well.

Truly the best of us.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hey Duriel you old bastard, how you been?!?! I haven't seen you in ages!

That fight fuckin ruled

I like that there are small maggots that are like mini duriels. :3:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I must be in some sort of item bracket that only drops rend and kick explosion procs. What the hell game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arc Lash is more effective than anything else right now because Blizzard decided to give Sorcs a bunch of really good barrier and basic skill effects while also making them go oom after three casts of any spender. It’s like they kept Wizard spell cost values but forgot to give them AP instead of mana.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is anybody working on something like Path of Building for this game? I don't know how the people putting build guides together are measuring damage output, it's impossible for me to tell whether an item that gives "+X DPS" will actually decrease my DPS due to some affix difference.

I don't think such a thing is possible unless blizzard releases some details about how dmg multipliers work

Most info out there is derived from scuffed ingame testing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What's a good starting class for the first character? Barbarian, Monk and Witch Doctor were my most played classes in Diablo 3 across PC-Xbox360-PS4-XboxSS. I played a lot of Necro when they released it on D3 (not so much in D2).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The game has floating damage numbers which obviates one of the big needs for a pob equivalent

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

It really does suck that there's no Hell-mode campaign where I can fight Andariel tossing out superpoison or Duriel turning blue and oneshotting me. I'm sure that kind of thing will eventually be in the game, but really weird that content caps out like it does.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think I just found the werewolf build of my dreams. This is what I'm going to start building towards because pulverize is really rough for farming in low density areas.

https://d4builds.gg/builds/9d343d8e-2e65-40a6-b70d-fd39e6b99373/

Super fast attacks and werewolf form all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzCoR3U-qw&t=23s

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same ( (Use all 4 defensive skills + 1 damage skill and just spam-- Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

euphronius posted:

The game has floating damage numbers which obviates one of the big needs for a pob equivalent

Not really, since a PoB-type tool would instantly give me a number instead of making me observe random values that aren't recorded anywhere and won't easily tell me if something is a 3% improvement or whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pob does not instantly give you accurate dps numbers

Observing the Diablo floating text is way better than playing with a pob for a half and hour

For most cases

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Disagree, even if it's not perfectly accurate it's a good estimate. PoB only gets bad when your builds depend on effects that chain effects that chain effects and so on.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

acumen posted:

You eventually get the ability to salvage/craft more, but I'm not sure what the trigger is for that quest. I think if you do the first one a higher tier sigil will drop, do that one and it may unlock?

You unlock the sigil crafting quest after completing a tier 3 nightmare dungeon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Megasabin posted:

Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same (Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?

Use Arc Lash, no spender, put all four defensive skills on your bars, and take all the basic skill and barrier-focused legendary effects as you build for more Lucky Hit and use enchantment procs for most of your DPS.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

At what point should I start paying attention to the gear I'm using? I'm like 21 now and I've pretty much put on anything that had a green number, since it's gonna get replaced in the next half hour anyway. (I just found my first unique bow! Will be cool for at least an hour I'm sure.)

How long does the main game take to get through? I've been taking my time going through the areas and hitting the little events that pop up and doing the sidequests that people give me, and it feels like it's gonna be a hundred hours before I finish. I'm only partway through Act 1 (just got to Yelesnya) and haven't really learned anything yet besides "hey monsters showing up and scary lady mighta came thru here"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

exquisite tea posted:

Use Arc Lash, no spender, put all four defensive skills on your bars, and take all the basic skill and barrier-focused legendary effects as you build for more Lucky Hit and use enchantment procs for most of your DPS.

I already have all 4 defensive skills on my bar & use a variety of barrier based aspects (+dmge with barrier active, +dmge to vuln with barrier active) I guess I can switch out ice shards for arch lash and then I won't worry about running out of mana. Does it generate enough DPS without unstable currents running?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

At what point should I start paying attention to the gear I'm using? I'm like 21 now and I've pretty much put on anything that had a green number, since it's gonna get replaced in the next half hour anyway. (I just found my first unique bow! Will be cool for at least an hour I'm sure.)

How long does the main game take to get through? I've been taking my time going through the areas and hitting the little events that pop up and doing the sidequests that people give me, and it feels like it's gonna be a hundred hours before I finish. I'm only partway through Act 1 (just got to Yelesnya) and haven't really learned anything yet besides "hey monsters showing up and scary lady mighta came thru here"

You're going to be at it a long time if you spend a lot of time on side trips. I had to save my sanity and quit with the side stuff by the middle of act 2, and I was already level 40. My barbarian had to be picky with gear starting in the mid 20s because I think the build I was using (HotA mega hits) was pretty sensitive to changes. If I was lax in looking at gear it wouldn't be long until the demons started to be able to no sell hits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dameius posted:

This game needs about triple the mob density basically everywhere.

Agreed, but every time someone makes a Youtube video about finding a great high density elite mob dungeon / area of the game world, Blizzard quietly hotfixes it out of the game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dameius posted:

This game needs about triple the mob density basically everywhere.

They said in the first previews that mobs would be in smaller, stronger groups. The idea being that you'd have something resembling a combat encounter instead of everything dying as it comes on screen.

They missed that mark. So yeah, they might as well triple the mob density. Or double down by tripling mob HP. :science:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I already have all 4 defensive skills on my bar & use a variety of barrier based aspects (+dmge with barrier active, +dmge to vuln with barrier active) I guess I can switch out ice shards for arch lash and then I won't worry about running out of mana. Does it generate enough DPS without unstable currents running?

Arc Lash will do decent damage against vulnerable/stunned targets but you're mostly using it to fish for enchantment procs like Meteor/Ball Lightning/Spear.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
For comparison, I am just doing main quest stuff and enjoying it, and I'm level 27 at the end of act 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

They said in the first previews that mobs would be in smaller, stronger groups. The idea being that you'd have something resembling a combat encounter instead of everything dying as it comes on screen.

They missed that mark. So yeah, they might as well triple the mob density. Or double down by tripling mob HP. :science:

Tripling mob density but lowering their HP and getting cut down like butter is way more fun imo. Blizzard is really dedicated to not allowing this though and are really aggressive with the hotfix balance adjustments.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Guillermus posted:

What's a good starting class for the first character? Barbarian, Monk and Witch Doctor were my most played classes in Diablo 3 across PC-Xbox360-PS4-XboxSS. I played a lot of Necro when they released it on D3 (not so much in D2).

According to Raxx it's Rogue and Druid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2-rdNrz6A for casuals. I don't know if that exactly matches up with first character but I'd give them a shot.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No one should care about class tier lists until you're pushing the envelope at endgame, and even then, lol. For just playing the game the first time casually play whatever looks cool to you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really don't get the mob density complaints tbh. Been doing nightmare dungeons and the mob density is pretty high compared to what I remember about greater rifts in D3. The overworld doesn't really have that density but it feels like once you go into higher level dungeons it ramps up.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I like the more intimate and deliberate combat in this. It's a nice change from other arpgs which were approaching vampire survivors territory. It makes those large hits (frost nova one shots / corpse tendrils + boosted bone spears) that much more satisfying when mobs aren't already getting exploded by a stiff breeze

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

I really don't get the mob density complaints tbh. Been doing nightmare dungeons and the mob density is pretty high compared to what I remember about greater rifts in D3. The overworld doesn't really have that density but it feels like once you go into higher level dungeons it ramps up.

Seems good to me too in NM dungeons and I’ve only done +6

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's big swathes of the overworld that don't have anything in them, but if you're just getting around on your horse it's not like you stop to fight anything along the way to your destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If there was any AAA game I thought would embrace the VS horde killing it would be Diablo. It's what I would prefer personally.