Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I feel like a Tempo with an Ecoboost swap would be a riot. Still a penalty box, but a funny one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Speaking of Ecoboost swap potential, I bought a 2015 Ecoboost 1.0l Fiesta last month and now bought a 1.6l Fiesta, but that one is a 1979. I'd 100% swap the 3cyl in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still can't decide if I'd rather have a 1.0 Ecoboost or a Honda L15 in my Opel. The 1.0 might be the only thing that makes the engine bay look roomy, but L15s are cheap as gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I still can't decide if I'd rather have a 1.0 Ecoboost or a Honda L15 in my Opel. The 1.0 might be the only thing that makes the engine bay look roomy, but L15s are cheap as gently caress.

As someone who has looked into 1.0 ecoboost swaps, prices on used engines went from $900 to over $4500 as they started failing in cars.

The front timing cover also integrates an engine mount and is an extremely intricate casting which would be hard to replace

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Powershift posted:

As someone who has looked into 1.0 ecoboost swaps, prices on used engines went from $900 to over $4500 as they started failing in cars.

The front timing cover also integrates an engine mount and is an extremely intricate casting which would be hard to replace

Well, that sure was a design choice. By someone who gives zero fucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Well, that sure was a design choice. By someone who gives zero fucks.

This is the ford way

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Possibly the most perfect example of planned obsolescence

Putting an oil/coolant pump in the same casting as the engine mount is a loving stroke of genius. Guaranteed to milkshake before 200k miles

That's so loving beautiful, the guys over at corporate strategy probably cried with joy when they saw that

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Putting an oil/coolant pump in the same casting as the engine mount is a loving stroke of genius. Guaranteed to milkshake before 200k miles

You realize stressed(structural) engine members have been in automotive around for like 40+ years now right? Wait till you find out oil pans have [gasp!] differentials in them.

Lurk more for fucks sake.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Powershift posted:

I looked up alternate angles of it and the triangulation of the mount isn't inside of the cover, nor is it solid, so you could just cut it off. It seems like a good mount though as you can constrain it well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hadlock posted:

Possibly the most perfect example of planned obsolescence

That's so loving beautiful, the guys over at corporate strategy probably cried with joy when they saw that

If you had taken five seconds to google, it's actually not that much of a load bearer and also attaches to more of a anti-NVH mount, with the two lower mounts actually taking the weight with the gearbox. And it's not a unique idea at all.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

I looked up alternate angles of it and the triangulation of the mount isn't inside of the cover, nor is it solid, so you could just cut it off. It seems like a good mount though as you can constrain it well.

There also aren't a whole lot of other places you could put a mount on this engine (the block has a couple bolt holes here and there but they're not super reinforced and probably not in thick material either) so I wouldn't really _want_ to delete it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boxen posted:

Writing an ad for the thing you're selling in such a way that it would turn up in a search is not something craigslist sellers are interested in.

Writing an ad for the thing your're selling in such a way that it will turn up in a search for literally anything ELSE seems to be their primary interest.

This message brought to you by the the sellers of "Cameros" who put an entire goddamned dictionary of keyword spam in the ad along with six words of actual ad text.

Keyword stuffing is a hell of a drug.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

The new 1.5EBs are hella cheap.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
How tall is the 1.0 Ecoboost? I've been wondering if it's a swap option for the Suzuki Cappuccino for awhile. It's been getting more difficult to get some parts for them lately.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Turbo Fondant posted:

There also aren't a whole lot of other places you could put a mount on this engine (the block has a couple bolt holes here and there but they're not super reinforced and probably not in thick material either) so I wouldn't really _want_ to delete it.

Kind of awkward trying to use that in a RWD application, though.

edit: I have no idea what RWD application it would be useful in, just saying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Kind of awkward trying to use that in a RWD application, though.

edit: I have no idea what RWD application it would be useful in, just saying.

My dream was a early ford Falcon.

NinjaTech posted:

How tall is the 1.0 Ecoboost? I've been wondering if it's a swap option for the Suzuki Cappuccino for awhile. It's been getting more difficult to get some parts for them lately.

They are ridiculously tiny engines. but the 1.5 i3 is far more plentiful and seemingly more reliable.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Friend had a diesel tempo in high school much like the one that was pictured. Total piece of poo poo and everything was way more expensive to fix because of that stupid diesel engine. The battery was huge and located in the trunk and also way more expensive because it had to spin a diesel. Brake parts were expensive and also really hard to find because it was all bespoke to that dumb thing. There really wasn't anything in that car that wasn't rocking horse poo poo rare especially for a broke high school student. Good riddance.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Powershift posted:

They are ridiculously tiny engines. but the 1.5 i3 is far more plentiful and seemingly more reliable.

I know they're small but modern engines are typically a lot taller. I was wondering about the total height to see if it would still fit under the hood.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like a Tempo with an Ecoboost swap would be a riot. Still a penalty box, but a funny one?

I'd love an SVO Mustang with a 2.3 Ecoboost.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

That used engine pricing really funny to me as someone who bought a car new with the 1.0 Ecoboost for $13k. The engine really is a pretty great fit in a Fiesta, but it was a giant piece of poo poo in the EcoSport where it was saddled with a bad automatic, more weight, and a start/stop system. We got EcoSport loaners twice while our other Ford was getting warranty repairs.

It was only available with a manual in the Fiesta, which completely doomed it in the US. The 1.5 3-cyl seems to be a better engine in every way, and also has cylinder deactivation for when 3 cylinders is too many. I'd buy a car with one, but new cars are expensive now and I don't think Ford even offers it in a sedan or hatch.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

*lists car on Marketplace*
*leaves default settings, such as "automatic transmission"*

But seriously, somebody snag this

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6554085294611238/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

I'd love an SVO Mustang with a 2.3 Ecoboost.

I was following a project of that (although I don't think it was an SVO - just a pedestrian V6) but it just sort of dried up at some point.

Fake edit: it was this, from 2013:
https://lmr.com/products/20-Ecoboost-Fox-Mustang-Project-Ugly-Horse
https://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/10/project-ugly-horse-part-1/
Only goes to Part 9 on Autoblog. Continues with Part 10 on Road & Track (with no images, because LOL Internet and lack of object permanence. It's hilarious that Autoblog still has all the pictures, and big, bad media giant R&T does not...) Looks like it only gets to Part 11.5, April 2014.

Looks like other folks have tackled similar projects since 2013, though, according to Google results.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Fox+mustang+ecoboost

Kinda glad that's in Ohio, so there's no chance I'll buy it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

Paypal/Venmo/Western Union

E: CLE-DAL is only 1200 miles

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 8, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Paypal/Venmo/Western Union

E: CLE-DAL is only 1200 miles

Get thee behind me, Satan (hey, stop pushing!)
Also, I don't have $1800 cash.

edit:
Also, also, do not want to do a clutch job in a random parking lot.

That said, my dad is retired and has a 3/4 Dodge and a gooseneck flatbed trailer...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

I don't have $1800 cash.

Sell your plumbing :v:

Darchangel posted:

That said, my dad is retired and has a 3/4 Dodge and a gooseneck flatbed trailer...

Now you're thinking with portalsparents!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Sell your plumbing :v:

Sort of attached to the house. and a bit underground. Not low-key, literally undergound.
edit: trust me, I'd have rather bought a car or something, but... taking showers and flushing are sort of important in a house.

quote:

Now you're thinking with portalsparents!
I'm not above using my parents. They got plenty of mileage out of me as a kid. (I mean this in a humorous way - I love my folks.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=68984

I'm gonna need to borrow, uhhh...... $4,928

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So what do you think that will fetch?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With something that uncommon it's really hard to guess. It could fail to hit the reserve, it could go for $15k.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$500 Alvin, Texas. 77511. Cash only in person. Roughly a 1914 or so Studebaker chassis. Transaxle appears to be complete. The engine is in rough shape and likely only good for parts. This would be a great speedster chassis.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Darchangel posted:

We just moved to Toledo, OH, so this is maybe 1.5 hrs from us.

On one hand, I hate dealing with bodywork. On the other hand, I now have Space Boy playing in my head.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
poo poo's getting out of hand

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3320148111533580/?mibextid=dXMIcH

2 notes:
1) Yes, those are factory AMC alloy wheels (note the conical center caps), and
2) The tall grille and bulged hood denote the 304 (5.0L) V8 instead of the 258 (4.2L) I6.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
That pacer is rad as hell.
It brought me to this :
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac..._type=top_picks

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

deong posted:

It brought me to this :

My tattoo artist has a Chinook they want to sell, and I would probably own it already if I had a place to park it where the HOA wouldn’t get mad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

deong posted:

It brought me to this :

A nicer one of those went for $50k on BAT a while back.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-toyota-chinook-4x4/

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

I don't have $1800 cash.

Make this guy an offer, then:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3439148392965243/?mibextid=dXMIcH

1) there's that pesky "Automatic transmission" again
2) lol apex seals

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

$500 Alvin, Texas. 77511. Cash only in person. Roughly a 1914 or so Studebaker chassis. Transaxle appears to be complete. The engine is in rough shape and likely only good for parts. This would be a great speedster chassis.

I'm interested in some of the stuff in the background.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No. Just...no.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3300435926838843/?mibextid=dXMIcH

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
For $1? Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

For $1? Maybe.

Had to be worth at least that much for scrap but you have to haul it to the yard so you may not come out ahead.