Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pat Robertson was right there!

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think that one Season 12 episode where the schoolkids are snowed at Springfield Elementary is a gem in the pile of crap that is post-Season 9/10, but that's it

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have another kid and start them off on modern Simpsons, your test is flawed because you started them off on what you already liked so that also became “their” Simpsons.

Jesus Christ this is basic scientific method

The ethics committee (my wife) would never approve of that sort of child abuse for the sake of scientific research.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bill Posters posted:

My kids (7 & 9) started watching from the beginning after being shown one of the golden age episodes. Their interest petered out right around season 12 so I don't think age has much to do with it.

My 10 year old daughter watched from season 2 up until season 9 or 10 and then lost interest. She tried watching the new ones and just said "they're not good".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wayne Knight posted:

Now just imagine it says "been indicted" instead of "dead"

This will be the first thing I think when that day comes.

Who am I kidding, he will outlive us all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think that one Season 12 episode where the schoolkids are snowed at Springfield Elementary is a gem in the pile of crap that is post-Season 9/10, but that's it

Oh man, the Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was episode is that late? Guess that explains the DVD joke.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pththya-lyi posted:

The ballsack and airbag jokes are both pretty good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The exact point at which the Simpsons became bad is season 10 episode 5, "When You Dish Upon A Star," the episode where Homer becomes a personal assistant to Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. There are some good episodes after that, but that's where the show as a whole stopped being good and it never recovered afterwards.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the last episode of the show is behind the laughter. there were no more episodes after that, good or bad.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Alec Baldwin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrv_n7DNls

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I've said it before, but Ultimate Simpsons in a Big Ol' Box is the entombed and sealed away canon of the show. Main book 1-8 where you have rise to prominence and perfection, one supplement of 9-10 when the sheen starts to wear off, and then one supplement of 11-12 where it's clear it's on the verge of falling apart. That's it. That's the Simpsons.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cael posted:

I've said it before, but Ultimate Simpsons in a Big Ol' Box is the entombed and sealed away canon of the show. Main book 1-8 where you have rise to prominence and perfection, one supplement of 9-10 when the sheen starts to wear off, and then one supplement of 11-12 where it's clear it's on the verge of falling apart. That's it. That's the Simpsons.

Tried to figure out if that's the one I have, I just have the 1 - 8 book somewhere

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I recently watched season 13-14 for some reason, and while there are some really stinky plots, like the awful Frank Grimes jr. episode, and too many of them just ends on a non-sequitor. There are at least some decent jokes here and there.
The last 20 or so seasons however are just dull and lifeless slogs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cael posted:

I’m still convinced the season 1-8 book is partly responsible for everyone saying those are the peak seasons, since everyone had that book and during those years, those were the episodes being most heavily replayed.

9/10 and 11/12 are still more good than bad to me, even if they aren’t perfect or hitting the highs of previous seasons. After that is where it falls off pretty quickly and 15/16 has some of the lowest points and are where I mostly bailed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the regular ol' meme thread:
https://twitter.com/sreddi_515/status/1667053285054857216?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think I recognized the show had turned a bad corner when the psychic waiter predicts what Homer wants by going, "I'm sensing you want A…B…" and Homer interrupts to say, "BEER! How'd you know?"

This was a decent joke about psychics tricking their marks into giving them information, but apparently somebody thought the audience wouldn't get it, so they animated Homer's beer gut bursting out of his shirt, immediately retroactively ruining the original joke.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1667252751905030144

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In the replies

https://twitter.com/fewgene2/status/1667275764088094720?t=rxLf5PwVROYc9VWM32_zMg&s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 9, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It is a very exploitable background:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

CPColin posted:

I think I recognized the show had turned a bad corner when the psychic waiter predicts what Homer wants by going, "I'm sensing you want A…B…" and Homer interrupts to say, "BEER! How'd you know?"

This was a decent joke about psychics tricking their marks into giving them information, but apparently somebody thought the audience wouldn't get it, so they animated Homer's beer gut bursting out of his shirt, immediately retroactively ruining the original joke.
there was a joke about moe being a plumber or some such and he hands homer a card and it freezes on that frame while moe reads the card out loud. at some point the simpsons writers decided the show was for children

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fartknocker posted:

I’m still convinced the season 1-8 book is partly responsible for everyone saying those are the peak seasons, since everyone had that book and during those years, those were the episodes being most heavily replayed.

9/10 and 11/12 are still more good than bad to me, even if they aren’t perfect or hitting the highs of previous seasons. After that is where it falls off pretty quickly and 15/16 has some of the lowest points and are where I mostly bailed.

There's some real truth to that but at the same time you can't force the kinds of remixing footprint S2-8 have had, and it can't all just be inertia from memorization. To a degree it's an impossible question to answer because those seasons became woven into the DNA of so many who came up after. But it can't all just be that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

InsertPotPun posted:

there was a joke about moe being a plumber or some such and he hands homer a card and it freezes on that frame while moe reads the card out loud. at some point the simpsons writers decided the show was for children

Like Martin's line about twigs being literally explained in text on screen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

There's some real truth to that but at the same time you can't force the kinds of remixing footprint S2-8 have had, and it can't all just be inertia from memorization. To a degree it's an impossible question to answer because those seasons became woven into the DNA of so many who came up after. But it can't all just be that.

Oh yeah, just to be clear, I'm not disputing that those seasons are phenomenal. They are, and there's a stretch of several years in those first 8 seasons that you can argue is some of the greatest TV ever made.

I meant more that "the Simpsons stopped being good after season 8" is a take that feels like it's been around for 20 years at this point, if not longer. While they probably aren't the biggest factors (The fact that those seasons simply are so great probably is the biggest), I do think the impact of A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family covering those seasons is a part of what reinforced that idea and it usually doesn't come up when the subject is discussed. It came out back in the day before you could just google and find every script/screenshot or the entire episodes themselves, so it was the big end guide for a lot of fans (Or rather, before most people would think of going online for that - I know poo poo like The Simpsons Archive goes back to usenet or whatever). I still have my beat up copy on a shelf somewhere, and remember it being brought on road trips or taken to school, it being passed around for people to read quotes or chalkboard gags or whatever. I think reruns probably played a bigger role than the books, since I know for myself and a lot of my friends who are huge fans of the show, it wasn't necessarily watching the first run episodes on Fox that was our first exposure to the show or really got us into it, it was daily reruns on WB or whatever where there'd be an hour of them every weeknight. I know my local WB (Later CW) station was always a season behind what was currently airing new on Fox, so if Fox was doing season 10, they had seasons 1-9 just cycling through reruns for an hour every weeknight at 5PM. That was how I was mostly exposed to the show, and for something like that, you got to see those early seasons over and over and over for years until the peak years were outweighed by stuff that maybe wasn't as good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fartknocker posted:

Oh yeah, just to be clear, I'm not disputing that those seasons are phenomenal. They are, and there's a stretch of several years in those first 8 seasons that you can argue is some of the greatest TV ever made.

I meant more that "the Simpsons stopped being good after season 8" is a take that feels like it's been around for 20 years at this point, if not longer. While they probably aren't the biggest factors (The fact that those seasons simply are so great probably is the biggest), I do think the impact of A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family covering those seasons is a part of what reinforced that idea and it usually doesn't come up when the subject is discussed. It came out back in the day before you could just google and find every script/screenshot or the entire episodes themselves, so it was the big end guide for a lot of fans (Or rather, before most people would think of going online for that - I know poo poo like The Simpsons Archive goes back to usenet or whatever). I still have my beat up copy on a shelf somewhere, and remember it being brought on road trips or taken to school, it being passed around for people to read quotes or chalkboard gags or whatever. I think reruns probably played a bigger role than the books, since I know for myself and a lot of my friends who are huge fans of the show, it wasn't necessarily watching the first run episodes on Fox that was our first exposure to the show or really got us into it, it was daily reruns on WB or whatever where there'd be an hour of them every weeknight. I know my local WB (Later CW) station was always a season behind what was currently airing new on Fox, so if Fox was doing season 10, they had seasons 1-9 just cycling through reruns for an hour every weeknight at 5PM. That was how I was mostly exposed to the show, and for something like that, you got to see those early seasons over and over and over for years until the peak years were outweighed by stuff that maybe wasn't as good.

Yeah same. The first episode I ever really watched was the Australia one, I was still a kid so before then I just assumed I wasn't allowed. I still remember me and my sister just losing our poo poo for the rest of the night. I don't know what it was, but koalas made it good.

So this was our new thing and we would watch it whenever it was on, and it was on a lot, at least twice a day on Fox and probably more ways I didn't know about and don't remember. Simpsons didn't tank until like 2002 and I started in like 1997, so that was for me just mainlining golden age Simpsons and there wasn't any bad ones. Since TV is what I did instead of having friends, I ended up practically memorizing it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
definitely not drunkposting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We wish.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
The last episode I remember watching when it was aired was the grocery store bag boy strike leads to a Jane Goodall parody using chimpanzees as labor in her diamond mine.

That was S12E17. I held on way too long, but I was also a dumb 16 year old, hoping that S10 to that point was just a low patch.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I watched until probably something like season 14, but I was aware that it loving sucked at that point. I remember the first episode that I recognized as being bad was the Halloween episode with the dolphins.

I remember that Jane Goodall one, there was a bad Paul Simon joke and then fake Jane Goodall starts yelling "DI-A-MONDS!" and that pronunciation has lived rent free in my head for 20ish years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember the very last one I even tried with was the one where Tony Hawk showed up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I watched until probably something like season 14, but I was aware that it loving sucked at that point. I remember the first episode that I recognized as being bad was the Halloween episode with the dolphins.

I remember that Jane Goodall one, there was a bad Paul Simon joke and then fake Jane Goodall starts yelling "DI-A-MONDS!" and that pronunciation has lived rent free in my head for 20ish years.

Animus memory unlocked

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The two episodes that I remember most clearly made me go "Ugh, this has gotten bad" were from season 16. The first was Don't Fear the Roofer (S16E16) had Ray Romano, who I can't stand, and was incredibly dumb and annoying. The other was the last episode of the season, The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star (S16E21), which I remember had some really stupid lines in it. I knew the show had been declining before that, but momentum kept me watching it for a long time, since 8PM on Sundays was just Simpsons time, no questions asked.

I think the last first run episode I watched as it aired was G.I. D'oh (S18E5), as I know I was still sorta watching the show after the movie came out, but remember that episode just being awful. I still occasionally saw episodes after that if there wasn't a good football game on or as background noise or OnDemand out of boredom. Looking on Wikipedia, I definitely remember a few episodes from season 19 (The infamous That 90's Show episode and The Debarted), but I don't recall anything from 20 or 21, so I had to have stopped completely by then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not an interesting choice but it was Maude dying for me. Even as a dumb kid I didn’t understand why they were disrespecting that character for seemingly no reason. It was even stupider when I learned the reason years later.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

InsertPotPun posted:

It's probably overly generous to suspect they have a character read text like that so it can be translated for the non-English dubs

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Baron von Eevl posted:

... and then fake Jane Goodall starts yelling "DI-A-MONDS!" and that pronunciation has lived rent free in my head for 20ish years.

I, uh, definitely bust out that pronunciation any opportunity I can.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Want to know what is the latest episode of The Simpsons is on Frinkiac.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Want to know what is the latest episode of The Simpsons is on Frinkiac.

https://frinkiac.com/faq posted:

What seasons are available?
Seasons 1 through 17 and The Simpsons movie are all available for your GIFing and memeing (are those words?) pleasure.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not an interesting choice but it was Maude dying for me. Even as a dumb kid I didn’t understand why they were disrespecting that character for seemingly no reason. It was even stupider when I learned the reason years later.

Wait, what was the reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Well then let it be known anything after season 17 is not worth meme'ing, therefore bad episodes.