Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ehud posted:

I think I just found the werewolf build of my dreams. This is what I'm going to start building towards because pulverize is really rough for farming in low density areas.

https://d4builds.gg/builds/9d343d8e-2e65-40a6-b70d-fd39e6b99373/

Super fast attacks and werewolf form all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzCoR3U-qw&t=23s

Pretty sure you're anti-guide anyway, but the guides are dumb for pulverize and don't prioritize max spirit. If you go into the max spirit nodes on the ancestral guidance paragon board and take the max spirit skill point nodes you end up with a lot of spirit, I have 165, and with even a bit of a spirit cost reduction you can pulverize 5-7 times with your spirit maxed, this makes it way more likely you'll get an earthen might proc before you run out. Made the build feel so much better to play for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've reached level 20 with a friend and we're both really confused about stats and gear. We're a necromancer / sorcerer combo. We have no idea what we're meant to be doing. I just equip stuff that boosts my intelligence, even if it's a sword. I'll also put armour on if it gives me a lot of extra defense, even if the piece comes with +8 strength or whatever.

Do stats matter that much? What am I supposed to actually be doing in terms of gear and stats? None of the vendors give a ready supply of good gear, they only ever offer 2 or 3 things that aren't very beneficial.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

explosivo posted:

I really don't get the mob density complaints tbh. Been doing nightmare dungeons and the mob density is pretty high compared to what I remember about greater rifts in D3. The overworld doesn't really have that density but it feels like once you go into higher level dungeons it ramps up.

I think it starts getting better in higher tier dungeons yeah, I've done up to a 17 and it's getting nice. I was pretty disappointed at first, especially coming from doing maps in project Diablo 2, but some areas in dungeons have been crowded enough to feel like a goomba stomp

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

According to Raxx it's Rogue and Druid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2-rdNrz6A for casuals. I don't know if that exactly matches up with first character but I'd give them a shot.

Cool thanks, I'll give it a look. Started a barbarian since it's the most familiar from previous games but part of the fun is to try new stuff.

I'm liking that you have a bunch of weapons and you use each depending on the skill. Frenzy uses the hatchets, bash the hammer... etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should find gear which buffs your main stat and also the secondary stats which synergize with your chosen build

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I've reached level 20 with a friend and we're both really confused about stats and gear. We're a necromancer / sorcerer combo. We have no idea what we're meant to be doing. I just equip stuff that boosts my intelligence, even if it's a sword. I'll also put armour on if it gives me a lot of extra defense, even if the piece comes with +8 strength or whatever.

Do stats matter that much? What am I supposed to actually be doing in terms of gear and stats? None of the vendors give a ready supply of good gear, they only ever offer 2 or 3 things that aren't very beneficial.

Pretty sure you stack stuff based on your main type of damage, basic, core etc. Damage to burning enemies, chilled, crown controlled, etc.
Also stacking various forms of damage reduction.

It's going to change build-to-build.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

SettingSun posted:

You're going to be at it a long time if you spend a lot of time on side trips. I had to save my sanity and quit with the side stuff by the middle of act 2, and I was already level 40. My barbarian had to be picky with gear starting in the mid 20s because I think the build I was using (HotA mega hits) was pretty sensitive to changes. If I was lax in looking at gear it wouldn't be long until the demons started to be able to no sell hits.

I guess I'm headed for story missions only now. Lvl46 barb in T2/Act2 and I haven't been doing any particular build, just kind of picking/choosing as I went. I'm not a MIN/MAX player either. I didn't know about the T2 cap or what levels were expected when - just been enjoying the all the neat side missions chains.

External Organs posted:

For comparison, I am just doing main quest stuff and enjoying it, and I'm level 27 at the end of act 3.

I should have done this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

I really don't get the mob density complaints tbh. Been doing nightmare dungeons and the mob density is pretty high compared to what I remember about greater rifts in D3. The overworld doesn't really have that density but it feels like once you go into higher level dungeons it ramps up.

Helltide is where the mob density is the best in the overworld.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is room under "min maxxing" that includes paying attention to gear and synergies with skills. its part of the genre.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Early stats are very simple: identify and stack as many bonuses that compliment your build as possible. If you hover over a primary stat it'll tell you what the total number is doing for you and +10 intelligence won't do as much as +10-15% poison, close, to vuln, to slowed, etc.

As my rogue I'll stack +poison, +traps, +close, +imbuements. 20-30% bonus per for a build where I get in the monsters faces, drop traps and stab them standing in the poison goo while I imbue more poison.

Stack passives in your skill trees that add to or add more combos to this. I also do +18% to enemies on early hits(healthy) and finishing them(injured), and I can get more of that on my yellows as well.

I won't turn down dex as a rogue but it's not as strong a gain this early. And don't seek things that sound useful you don't enable. +Vuln is useless without a source of it, ideally a constant source, for example. If you stack +crit damage have a build that feeds you crits like marksman rogue.

Also differentiate big boosts from small ones. +30% basic skills may not be worth much if you only left click as a last resort. You want +30% spenders, when you're doing big hits!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 9, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Qubee posted:

You need to read the items that drop and your skills in your class' tree and match some highlighted keywords together.

And read what the stats do instead of just equipping them. They tell you in the screen. They don't do much.

You want % damage and/or cool downs.

And don't buy vendor items.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What is even the intention of the vendors? Selling 3 crappy pieces that rotate for some reason. And I think someone said all the vendors share the same stock?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

SettingSun posted:

What is even the intention of the vendors? Selling 3 crappy pieces that rotate for some reason. And I think someone said all the vendors share the same stock?

buying gear when leveling alts

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

Pretty sure you're anti-guide anyway, but the guides are dumb for pulverize and don't prioritize max spirit. If you go into the max spirit nodes on the ancestral guidance paragon board and take the max spirit skill point nodes you end up with a lot of spirit, I have 165, and with even a bit of a spirit cost reduction you can pulverize 5-7 times with your spirit maxed, this makes it way more likely you'll get an earthen might proc before you run out. Made the build feel so much better to play for me.

Im level 61 and I cannot for the life of me find spirit cost reduction gear. I've got some + max spirit on gear and from skill/paragon trees, but I've seen like one piece of useful armor with spirit cost reduction on it this entire time. It sucks!

The maxroll guide also tells you to use the wrong aspect for maul (if you don't have the unique hat to let you use earth spike), imo. The bigger AOE one is kinda pointless since maul does poo poo damage anyway, and you don't get extra spirit from hitting more targets, as far as I can tell. A 20% chance to knock a demon on its rear end, on the other hand, is a)pretty good effective damage mitigation b) helps make Earthen Might procs more likely and most importantly, c) is funny as hell.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is there a solution for the freezes on opening menus and dialogue boxes on PC? It's a bit annoying!

Do you run ultra textures?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Ehud posted:

I think I just found the werewolf build of my dreams. This is what I'm going to start building towards because pulverize is really rough for farming in low density areas.

https://d4builds.gg/builds/9d343d8e-2e65-40a6-b70d-fd39e6b99373/

Super fast attacks and werewolf form all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzCoR3U-qw&t=23s

I pity anyone who clicks a video with this thumbnail.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

God drat are the lilith shrines annoying.

Am I missing something wrt items, picking up rare sacred at level 58 just seems like a waste of time as they're coming with 3 affixes rather than 4, is that a roll as well for number of affixes or are Legendaries getting an extra one by default?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Im level 61 and I cannot for the life of me find spirit cost reduction gear. I've got some + max spirit on gear and from skill/paragon trees, but I've seen like one piece of useful armor with spirit cost reduction on it this entire time. It sucks!

The maxroll guide also tells you to use the wrong aspect for maul (if you don't have the unique hat to let you use earth spike), imo. The bigger AOE one is kinda pointless since maul does poo poo damage anyway, and you don't get extra spirit from hitting more targets, as far as I can tell. A 20% chance to knock a demon on its rear end, on the other hand, is a)pretty good effective damage mitigation b) helps make Earthen Might procs more likely and most importantly, c) is funny as hell.

I never used maul even before I found my hat, gently caress maul man I don't want to stand in melee range swinging at poo poo for 0 damage with a 2 hander. TBH I considered dropping grizzly rage entirely until I could use earth spike with it because it felt bad having to use maul with it active. Spirit reduction only appears on amulets and boots, and the percent reduction on boots sucks until ancestral gear probably (But I still took the 4% I got off my boots, better than nothing.) I have 10% on my boots now and I've been looking for a good amulet drop since like level 50, and I'm 71 now. Any day now.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I really want to make a druid but my brain worms hate that the character design it's "pretty".

Also, does the unique/aspect for werewolf make it so you don't need to transform anymore?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

I smashed mine out last night. Threw on some music, the d4 map genie thing, and just zoned out while running around. It's not so bad once you have the strongholds, and if you can resist getting distracted by cellars/events

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Astryl posted:

I really want to make a druid but my brain worms hate that the character design it's "pretty".

Also, does the unique/aspect for werewolf make it so you don't need to transform anymore?

Sort of. You'll still revert to human form when you use a non-werewolf skill. That chest piece just makes it so you don't automatically turn back into a human after a few seconds.

It's great for the pulverize build because there are a couple different passives that give you guaranteed overpower if you stay a bear long enough or string together 12 kills without changing back. You're also much tankier as a bear. Not entirely sure what the benefit is for werewolf.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Astryl posted:

Important note for druid is that your fur color is tied to your hair color. So If you don't want a green bear don't pick the green hair because you can't change your hair later.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sort of. You'll still revert to human form when you use a non-werewolf skill. That chest piece just makes it so you don't automatically turn back into a human after a few seconds.

It's great for the pulverize build because there are a couple different passives that give you guaranteed overpower if you stay a bear long enough or string together 12 kills without changing back. Not entirely sure what the benefit is for werewolf.

There is a passive that gives +movement speed as wolf and maybe crit chance or damage too? Plus the unique still gives +2 to all wolf skills which is worth it on its own

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Megasabin posted:

I already have all 4 defensive skills on my bar & use a variety of barrier based aspects (+dmge with barrier active, +dmge to vuln with barrier active) I guess I can switch out ice shards for arch lash and then I won't worry about running out of mana. Does it generate enough DPS without unstable currents running?

Yes, which surprised me. There's a lot of DPS packed into things like the passive that gives 45% damage when you stun, enchanting arc lash so you stun on every cool down, getting stuns on crit, lightning spears (self cast or unstble cast) with their own happy lil' stun.

Of course frost nova vulnerability is key, and the aspect that gives +1 charge as well as putting 5 skill points in it to reduce cooldown is nearly mandatory for high-DPS uptime.

To me arc lash feels adequate. It slaps hard enough to keep me going, everything else felt wet noodly, even when I had good luck with resource aspects etc.

flashman posted:

Am I missing something wrt items, picking up rare sacred at level 58 just seems like a waste of time as they're coming with 3 affixes rather than 4, is that a roll as well for number of affixes or are Legendaries getting an extra one by default?

You must pick up all rares and sell them or you will be so, so, so sad trying to enchant sacred and ancestral items.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Oh, no. I follow guides. I'm following the maxroll pulverize guide.

I'll keep that in mind though. Only pulverizing 2-3 times per globe of spirit is frustrating.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

I never used maul even before I found my hat, gently caress maul man I don't want to stand in melee range swinging at poo poo for 0 damage with a 2 hander. TBH I considered dropping grizzly rage entirely until I could use earth spike with it because it felt bad having to use maul with it active. Spirit reduction only appears on amulets and boots, and the percent reduction on boots sucks until ancestral gear probably (But I still took the 4% I got off my boots, better than nothing.) I have 10% on my boots now and I've been looking for a good amulet drop since like level 50, and I'm 71 now. Any day now.

I hear you, but the animation for the maul knockdown is very funny.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Substandard posted:

Important note for druid is that your fur color is tied to your hair color. So If you don't want a green bear don't pick the green hair because you can't change your hair later.

What happens if your druid is bald? Does your bear look like this?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is this poo poo working today or should I make plans to like see people or something?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Lakbay posted:

I made a rogue alt since I couldn’t beat the capstone dungeon on my sorc because I’m bad and I’m having way more of a fun time with a puncture/barrage rogue. Is melee rogue really that much more powerful than bow rogue? I’m only level 18 at the moment and my clear speed seems great as a bow spec

I have done both twisting blades and penetrating shot in WT4, and TB may be better but I have no issue with clearing all content quickly at 70+ with penetrating, it's perfectly viable

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hulk Krogan posted:

I hear you, but the animation for the maul knockdown is very funny.

If it's the same as whatever the Rogue has it really is. My friend playing rogue constantly knocks enemies over and it's like they're slipping on a banana peel over and over again. I laugh my rear end off every time when it's like one of those charging bulls or something that just flips over on their side repeatedly or like a lesser demon that just can't seem to stand up.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

coelomate posted:

You must pick up all rares and sell them or you will be so, so, so sad trying to enchant sacred and ancestral items.

This is fair enough, I can quickly mark them as junk and mass sell, is the affix number always lower than legendary though?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

flashman posted:

This is fair enough, I can quickly mark them as junk and mass sell, is the affix number always lower than legendary though?

Legendaries are just rares that rolled an aspect as an additional stat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

coelomate posted:

Yes, which surprised me. There's a lot of DPS packed into things like the passive that gives 45% damage when you stun, enchanting arc lash so you stun on every cool down, getting stuns on crit, lightning spears (self cast or unstble cast) with their own happy lil' stun.

Of course frost nova vulnerability is key, and the aspect that gives +1 charge as well as putting 5 skill points in it to reduce cooldown is nearly mandatory for high-DPS uptime.

To me arc lash feels adequate. It slaps hard enough to keep me going, everything else felt wet noodly, even when I had good luck with resource aspects etc.

I am sitting at over 21.3 million gold right now, but I have a feeling this is all going to go away in WT4.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Legendaries are just rares that rolled an aspect as an additional stat

Every legendary I pick up seems to have 4 affixes + aspect and the rares simply 3 affixes though.. Sample size is only a couple hrs this morning though.

Rares are able to roll 4 affix as well in wt3 and I've just been unlucky?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's because my PC and/or GPU is kind of aging, but does anyone else feel the horse is not very satisfying to use? The main thing I like about it is that it zooms out, which is how the game should be in the first place. But it gets stuck on random geometry or more often than not some invisible force that slows it to below walking speed. The gallop button is always out of charges, and sometimes it doesn't last as long, probably due to it clipping on invisible objects. As a rogue with 140% move speed, sometimes I feel it's faster to just run and burn dash charges.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Yeah and in my experience using all the charges makes you go so fast the game struggles to keep up and you hit invisible loading walls all the time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Anyone got a good leveling build for druid to recommend? I'm doing okay against trash but trying to unlock some aspects and bosses just kick my rear end.

Tornado is very strong.

I was using Lightning Strike and it was fun, but it's nowhere near as good.

Also take Earthen Bulwark with the Unstoppable modifier

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What are your guys initial impressions on the game so far?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Gone Fashing posted:

Yeah and in my experience using all the charges makes you go so fast the game struggles to keep up and you hit invisible loading walls all the time

Those loading walls suck because they almost exactly mimic those annoying invisible bugs that slow your movement. Every time I hit a loading wall I instinctively mash frost nova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know if it's because my PC and/or GPU is kind of aging, but does anyone else feel the horse is not very satisfying to use? The main thing I like about it is that it zooms out, which is how the game should be in the first place. But it gets stuck on random geometry or more often than not some invisible force that slows it to below walking speed. The gallop button is always out of charges, and sometimes it doesn't last as long, probably due to it clipping on invisible objects. As a rogue with 140% move speed, sometimes I feel it's faster to just run and burn dash charges.

Apparently horse goes faster the farther your mouse cursor is away from it