Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

Came here to post this.

Painterofcrap, you are my kinda artist. I really appreciate everybody's advice. Thank you all. I'm probably going to be coming back with some other issues, it may help keep me out of the Trump thread a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

, it may help keep me out of the Trump thread a little bit.

Sometimes I think home ownership is another trap to keep us from engaging with the community. But then I look at what the community is up to and, maybe avoiding that isn't the worst thing

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve got some bigger rocks I want to get out of my backyard that are too heavy for me to lift. If I could break them in half, I could move them.

What’s the best method? Should I rent something to move the rocks or should I buy a jackhammer/masonry bit/wedges to break them up?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think you can rent a "proper" hammer drill with the stuff you need to break them up. At least that's possible where I am.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Black and white striped jump suit and pick ax

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Enormous lever please. We’re due for another goon project

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sell them as motorcycle locks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think you can rent a "proper" hammer drill with the stuff you need to break them up. At least that's possible where I am.

Yeah there’s tool rentals for sure. Just wondering what the best tool is at Home Depot for this.. jackhammer, demolition drill? Not sure what a hammer drill and bits I would need.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Comedy option, rent a small excavator, dig holes, insert rocks, cover holes. Bonus fill for any low spots in your yard!

Also you get to play with an excavator like you've wanted to since you were four.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If you live in a place where you get frost heaves, those buried boulders work their way back upwards.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Yeah there’s tool rentals for sure. Just wondering what the best tool is at Home Depot for this.. jackhammer, demolition drill? Not sure what a hammer drill and bits I would need.

I'm not any kind of expert, but I understand that the way to break up a rock is to drill holes in it and then hammer pegs into the holes. You can probably find videos on YouTube. Just be sure to wear PPE; rock dust is nobody's friend.

The appropriate tool probably depends on the size of the rock.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you live in a place where you get frost heaves, those buried boulders work their way back upwards.

But excavator.

Also, you finally get to be peak Previous Owner.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Here’s what I’m working with…

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How much do you want to spend? Because yeah a jackhammer will bust through those and if you’re paying to rent you might as well go with the heavier gun than say a hammer drill.

To me they look small enough to be able to rig them into a wheel barrel or dolly and move them out of the way. Unless you want to toss $100 or so at the tool rental.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Those are smaller than what my powerlifting friend carries around for fun. Make friends with a powerlifter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epitope posted:

Black and white striped jump suit and pick ax

Perfect.

(And yes, biggest hammer drill you can rent will do this the cheapest without feeling like you're prison labor)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

eddiewalker posted:

Those are smaller than what my powerlifting friend carries around for fun. Make friends with a powerlifter.

Yeah I was about to say I've definitely lifted all but the biggest sized one in the photo pretty easily and that big one by the lawnchair you can probably roll out of there into the woods.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That Works posted:

Yeah I was about to say I've definitely lifted all but the biggest sized one in the photo pretty easily and that big one by the lawnchair you can probably roll out of there into the woods.

It goes down pretty loving deep.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Pretty sure the silver pick axe can tackle those, but you don't get that til you meet the fairy in the cave in winter 1.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

grab the stick in the corner there, hold L and select "Fuse" and attach the big rock to the stick. then you can break all the other rocks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nwin posted:

Here’s what I’m working with…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktfEfbp80aI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96E0_KhWWFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomEVktCRZ8

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

I’ve got some bigger rocks I want to get out of my backyard that are too heavy for me to lift. If I could break them in half, I could move them.

What’s the best method? Should I rent something to move the rocks or should I buy a jackhammer/masonry bit/wedges to break them up?

Post them as free boulders, you haul.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shifty Pony posted:

I was thinking about just cleaning it up the joint between the sink and countertop as best I can with a scraper and rubbing alcohol then running a small bead of silicone around the inner edge to hold out water until I can get the time to drop the sink and redo the entire silicone seal (probably in combination with installing a disposal). Would that be an acceptable temporary patch?

Don't mind me I'm just obsessed with making sure everyone knows the clean way to install silicone caulking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwmqkoz1tE

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Wait is the ammonia free glass cleaner really the magic bullet? Does it work for clear silicone too?

Also that DAP advanced silicone loving sucks. It's yellow after less than a year. This stuff, do not buy:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-AMP-Advanced-Modified-9-oz-Crystal-Clear-Polymer-Kitchen-and-Bathroom-Sealant-12-Pack-7079800763/318305706

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

We're considering buying a house and unsurprisingly for the area it's got plenty of asbestos in the heating ducts (see poor-quality attached pic). My reading of things is that encapsulation is probably the way to go, and given that there are maybe a half dozen of these things it shouldn't be too horribly expensive? (A few thousand?). The inspector said that worst case we could just coat it in spray paint and that would be ok, is that actually a thing and if so do I just grab a can (plus respirator) and start spraying?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fritz posted:

We're considering buying a house and unsurprisingly for the area it's got plenty of asbestos ..................The inspector said that worst case we could just coat it in spray paint

Let me guess, your seller agent found this inspector for you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Indeed. You don't self-remediate asbestos.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How are you going to spray paint any further then you can reach?

This is one option: https://ductarmor.com/residential-air-duct-repair/ (that doesn't involve ripping out all the ductwork).

Is the ductwork in the concrete slab?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Regardless, OP needs an asbestos mitigation contractor as part of the inspection. Like, not letting the general inspector do it, but having the inspector bring in a legit domain expert.

The homeowner will not allow this, because then it will be documented that they are aware of the extent of the asbestos in the house an need to disclose that. Or maybe they aren't thinking that far ahead but see a 5 figure estimate that you want taken off the purchase price. Either way, I've seen this kind of thing kill deals more often than not.

People who are ready to sell and not hiding anything typically have this remediation work done first.

Either way, you need to start out pushing for that inspection and if they say no you shouldn't be surprised and should absolutely walk away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

It goes down pretty loving deep.

https://youtu.be/ZWUcHKAj_tc

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

LOL wait you don't just flex-seal slap asbestos to take care of it? Noob!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah, asbestos shouldn't be hosed with by a general contractor/inspector. Their involvement should be limited to "oh, that's asbestos" and then an Actual Asbestos Company/Inspector gets involved.

In the case of my house, the asbestos removal company did a removal of exposed broken tiles above my air exchanger, but then did the paint-like encapsulation of a partial tile that was sticking to a stud, still buried in the ceiling and fully intact. You want an actual abatement company making that potential decision and doing the work versus "this is an encapsulation spray paint, job done".

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Seems like a potential liability for the inspector to offer any kind of remediation advice or specifics if they're not licensed/trained/whatever in it. But hey, gotta take care of the realtor that's sending them work.

With my company if we get asked anything about lead paint we point them towards official EPA resources and then shut the gently caress up.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

IIRC the asbestos used in HVAC was typically paperboard based insulation on the outside of the steel/tin ducts.

So the good news is that it isn't directly in the air flow path. The very bad news is that unlike cement-based asbestos products the insulation paper is decades old, likely extremely brittle, and possibly shedding asbestos dust due to the normal vibrations and thermal cycling of the ducts. So the passages the ducts go through are almost certainly contaminated.

Definitely time to chat with a pro before even considering moving forward.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

IIRC the asbestos used in HVAC was typically paperboard based insulation on the outside of the steel/tin ducts.

Let me introduce you to transite ductwork: https://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Asbestos_Transite_Ducts.php

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

Seems like a potential liability for the inspector to offer any kind of remediation advice or specifics if they're not licensed/trained/whatever in it. But hey, gotta take care of the realtor that's sending them work.

With my company if we get asked anything about lead paint we point them towards official EPA resources and then shut the gently caress up.

Do you live somewhere where inspectors take on any liability whatsoever? Is it Narnia? Can I visit?

Edit: I am jealous

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shifty Pony posted:

So the good news is that it isn't directly in the air flow path. The very bad news is that unlike cement-based asbestos products the insulation paper is decades old, likely extremely brittle, and possibly shedding asbestos dust due to the normal vibrations and thermal cycling of the ducts. So the passages the ducts go through are almost certainly contaminated.

Definitely time to chat with a pro before even considering moving forward.

Or to put it another way:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks all. Our closing deadline is Monday and I managed to get a local asbestos company to agree to come by Monday morning. It's an old house (built 1918) in an old neighborhood so everything around here has asbestos and lead and god only knows what else. (Our current house certainly does, and the asbestos guy is gonna give me an estimate on that too).

Shifty Pony posted:

I think this is the situation, yeah.

It sounds like I've maybe been a little bit blasé about asbestos, my main previous experience was when a friend bought a house maybe 15 years ago we covered his basement's asbestos tiles with cement and that was easy enough, but I guess this is a different situation.

The house is gonna be for my mom who's living with us right now, I've got strong incentives to get her her own place but even stronger ones to not send her into a deathtrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fritz posted:

Thanks all. Our closing deadline is Monday and I managed to get a local asbestos company to agree to come by Monday morning. It's an old house (built 1918) in an old neighborhood so everything around here has asbestos and lead and god only knows what else. (Our current house certainly does, and the asbestos guy is gonna give me an estimate on that too).

I think this is the situation, yeah.

It sounds like I've maybe been a little bit blasé about asbestos, my main previous experience was when a friend bought a house maybe 15 years ago we covered his basement's asbestos tiles with cement and that was easy enough, but I guess this is a different situation.

The house is gonna be for my mom who's living with us right now, I've got strong incentives to get her her own place but even stronger ones to not send her into a deathtrap.

I mean how old is she? Because Asbestos takes a long while after exposure to have any health affects.