Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Because I'm a dork I got a few of the Spigen/Caseology pixel watch cases/bands

Caseology Vault is decent if you want to add some raised bumper and use the default watch band. Would buy if you want a bumper case.

Spigen Liquid Air is the same idea as the vault but the case material is really flexible and moves around a bunch so I don't like it. Wouldn't buy.

Caseology Nano Pop is a nice lightweight replacement band/case. Would buy. If you're looking for a different band and a more traditional clasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

*Sigh* its time to replace my current watch. Is there anything that can offer at least 2 day battery life? I'm pretty no frills in terms of features, I dont want any sort of tracking, but I'd like to keep my payments attached. Looking at the Fossil Gen 6 but a lot of reviews really decry the battery life, but I wonder if all those people are using some of the watch face storefronts that really eat away at it. Responding to texts and such is also a must.

If I went with a GW5, can I disable the tracking jazz to increase battery life?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 28, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have almost everything turned on with my 5Pro and I typically get 2+ days out of it. I know the non-pro has a slightly smaller battery, but I imagine it should be at least in the same ballpark.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Pro has a battery that's almost 50% larger. I have both the Pro and the non-pro and the non-pro isn't making it to two days.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i have the following:
pixel phone
pixel watch
pixel buds
youtube premium

i want to do this:
put one album on my watch and listen to it via the headphones while my phone is in a locker. how do i do this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not super complicated really.

Open the Youtube Music app on the watch, navigate to the album you want, hit the download button.

Go to settings -> Bluetooth on the watch and scroll down, you should see the headphones listed that were already paired to the phone, tap on them to connect.

Done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, you can exploit a race condition in the setup process (provided you have access to more than one phone) to get both the Pixel Watch and some other fitbit device on the same account.

https://czandor.hu/projects/2022/12/17/use-any-fitbit-device-simultaneously-with-the-pixel-watch/

I now have both my Pixel Watch and Charge 5 on the same account. Finally.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nice of em to put the clasp on the stock strap on the GWP5 but I still hate the feel of the silicone. Going to have to find a replacement. Is there a way to make text notifications stop popping up with the persons bubble thing before actually showing the message?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just flew from Atlanta to San Antonio and while my phone changed time zones, my Galaxy Watch4 is still somehow in Eastern time. I poked through the settings hut didn't see anything that stuck out. Does anyone know what I might be able to do (short of resetting the stupid thing) to get it to update its time zone.

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 5, 2023

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

hooah posted:

I just flew fr Atlanta to San Antonio and while my phone changed time zones, my Galaxy Watch4 is still somehow in Eastern time. I poked through the settings hut didn't see anything that stuck out. Does anyone know what I might be able to do (short of resetting the stupid thing) to get it to update its time zone.

I've had the same thing take hours to fix, WearOS seems to be profoundly poo poo at recognizing time zones.

edit: Pixel Watch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Try refreshing your weather or use some other location based app? That's the only thing I can think of, it doesn't know you changed time zones.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I rebooted it and it's in the right time zone now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Watch 4 Classic seems to have burn-in after like 4 months, less than that with always on screen, off at night and generally at minimum brightness as I've been mostly indoors during the winter. Lol.

I know how OLED works of course but I've had no signs of burn-in on my Note9 in what, almost 5 years, with days blasting navigation at full brightness and always-on screen enabled the entire time. Is this just what happens with these?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hopefully warranty will help you.

Pretty happy with the 5 pro so far.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

My Watch 4 Classic seems to have burn-in after like 4 months, less than that with always on screen, off at night and generally at minimum brightness as I've been mostly indoors during the winter. Lol.

I know how OLED works of course but I've had no signs of burn-in on my Note9 in what, almost 5 years, with days blasting navigation at full brightness and always-on screen enabled the entire time. Is this just what happens with these?

No, that is not normal.

Here's mine which I've been wearing since the day they were available (late August 2021) with no notable burn at all:

My previous Huawei Watch took around three years to show anything, if it weren't buried in moving boxes I'd go boot it up for a picture of how it looks now after being retired when I got the GW4C.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

codo27 posted:

Happy with mine too. Also the titanium and sapphire have held up extremely well despite me managing to smack it into walls and door handles periodically.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Hopefully warranty will help you.

wolrah posted:

No, that is not normal.

Here's mine which I've been wearing since the day they were available (late August 2021) with no notable burn at all:

My previous Huawei Watch took around three years to show anything, if it weren't buried in moving boxes I'd go boot it up for a picture of how it looks now after being retired when I got the GW4C.
Huh. There's actually no sign of burn-in at full brightness white screen, but it's visible on grey background (though not as bad IRL, the camera cranked up the exposure)

It's not a deliberate effect, is it? Like the watch face is supposed to be in the background or something.

It also might not be actual burn in at all... the first time I turned it on today after sitting and charging overnight, I couldn't really see this at all. Either it was just less noticeable under daylight brightness levels, or it's some sort of temporary retention effect (that I've never seen before on OLED) that isn't actually burn-in. I guess this will be clear soon enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It could be image retention. OLEDs tend to do that but it will fade after being off for awhile or if things are changed up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a GPS-thingy for my normal bikes, but when I use the local bike share system, I used to track rides on my phone with Strava. The WearOS Strava app works a hell of a lot better ... except it has some weird long-standing bug (seems well over a year) if you have auto-start/pause enabled where it somehow zeroes your distance.

Disabling auto start/pause fixes it, and Strava automatically deletes your pauses from your results anyway soooooo...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh. There's actually no sign of burn-in at full brightness white screen, but it's visible on grey background (though not as bad IRL, the camera cranked up the exposure)

It's not a deliberate effect, is it? Like the watch face is supposed to be in the background or something.

It also might not be actual burn in at all... the first time I turned it on today after sitting and charging overnight, I couldn't really see this at all. Either it was just less noticeable under daylight brightness levels, or it's some sort of temporary retention effect (that I've never seen before on OLED) that isn't actually burn-in. I guess this will be clear soon enough.
FWIW here's mine at the same screen:

I've been using the Info Board face recently though so it doesn't have many fully static elements like an analog style face would. Bull is right about image retention as well, my old HWatch used to look horrible on the flashlight as you can see in this old pic I found:

but most of the bright elements would fade over time if I changed faces. The darker smears were the actual permanent wear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

FWIW here's mine at the same screen:

I've been using the Info Board face recently though so it doesn't have many fully static elements like an analog style face would. Bull is right about image retention as well, my old HWatch used to look horrible on the flashlight as you can see in this old pic I found:

but most of the bright elements would fade over time if I changed faces. The darker smears were the actual permanent wear.
Thanks! Good news is that after leaving the watch off while traveling for a few days, those marks are gone and it looks like your watch here.

The downside I don't think I've missed it at all... the A158W gives me clear time at any moment, hasn't required a charge in like 10 years, doesn't get caught on my cuffs, and seems to have zero burn-in :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
google says to do this to change faces from the watch but it has never worked on my pixel watch. if i press and hold, nothing happens at all. swiping to the left gives me the weather and other tiles. is there something i'm missing? i've always had to do it from my phone

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

google says to do this to change faces from the watch but it has never worked on my pixel watch. if i press and hold, nothing happens at all. swiping to the left gives me the weather and other tiles. is there something i'm missing? i've always had to do it from my phone

Press and hold works for me on the W4, 1-2 seconds anywhere on the screen and it gives me a list of faces and a possibility to add/remove them

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rotating bezel is back as rumored for the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic in latest renders.

https://9to5google.com/2023/05/23/galaxy-watch-6-classic-design-leak/

I'll be curious if it retains some of the high points of the 5 Pro like extra large battery and titanium case. I suspect I'll be hanging on to my 5 Pro and trading in my Watch 4 Classic that I held on to.

Newer processor is also rumored.

Expected to launch a bit earlier this year as the Galaxy Unpacked event is rumored for end of July instead of mid to late August.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The rotating bezel is one of the things that sold me on the GW4C so here's hoping.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Loved my S3 Frontier with the rotating bezel, but was worried when rubber bits started falling out of the bezel. Eventually the entire back fell out of it and I upgraded to a 5 Pro. I hope a modern version of it can live long.

I missed the bezel at first, but found a feature, off by default, that you could swipe your finger around the screen for a soft bezel ... that was great. But eventually I just got over it and live without the rotate feature.

I really love how solid my Watch5 Pro feels without moving parts, and a 4 day battery life (not using always-on) without having to fuss with it. Also the titanium case and sapphire glass have survived me being a massive drunken klutz many a time. It still looks immaculate after ~half a year. Actually the default band is really good too. Really a fan of the non-black colourways for a change.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I'm ambivalent on the rotating bezel. It's ok, I don't feel like it really enhances things a ton.

I just don't want them to backtrack on durability or longevity by going back to the watch Classic branding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OneUI 5 Beta based off of WearOS 4 has added the announced feature of being able to transfer a watch without resetting it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/samlover.com/2023/06/08/one-ui-watch-5-allows-you-to-transfer-watch-to-another-device-without-resetting/amp/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh that's great. Ran into an annoying situation where my phone data access inexplicably died. Using the "network reset" feature fixed the phone, but wiped my Bluetooth settings, and in turn I had to annoyingly reset my Watch5 and start over again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As a chronic phone switcher, I'm super excited for this feature. I just hope it doesn't reset authorization for credit cards using google pay.

I currently have too many watches partially BECAUSE i'm a chronic phone switcher and don't want to go through setting up a watch every time I switch things up. I'll still probably have too many watches, but not quite as many :D.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Surprising how many weeks it took me to get my watch back to "just right". Also tedious things like the Samsung auth poo poo not working with my usual Vivaldi browser.

But still loving the Watch5 otherwise. Also can't believe how immaculate it still looks despite my best efforts to bang it up. Just the magnetic clasp looks worn. Can always get another band if necessary.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a black leather band on my Watch 5 and it looks really good. The only reason I'm thinking of looking for another band is my current one doesn't keep it snug enough on my wrist for the blood oxygenation reading to be reliable.

If Mobvoi ever updates my Ticwatch E3 to WearOS 3 I might give it another go, but the Watch 5 is just a nicer watch in general. It's paired to my secondary phone to avoid the whole having to reset everything when changing phones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
my wife wants a galaxy watch to replace her dead active 2. is there anything wrong with the galaxy watch 5 line i should know about before buying? i've read the 4 line has a bricking problem.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

my wife wants a galaxy watch to replace her dead active 2. is there anything wrong with the galaxy watch 5 line i should know about before buying? i've read the 4 line has a bricking problem.

Not that I'm aware of. I wear it daily, and it's paired to my Pixel 6. I guess one caveat is that if it is paired to something other than a Samsung phone you might miss some tracking or have to jump through hoops to get some interoperability working. I'd defer to bull3964 on that, though - they are more knowledgeable than I am.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not that I'm aware of. I wear it daily, and it's paired to my Pixel 6. I guess one caveat is that if it is paired to something other than a Samsung phone you might miss some tracking or have to jump through hoops to get some interoperability working. I'd defer to bull3964 on that, though - they are more knowledgeable than I am.

thx. she has an S22U so we're covered there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any way to temporarily set the screen to not shut off on a Pixel watch? Use case is looking at a Keep grocery list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fossil WearOS 3 Watches now have access to Google Assistant.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to permanently turn off the green flashing whatever on the underside of a Galaxy Watch4?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Turn off the heart rate sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Turn off the heart rate sensor.

How? I don't see anything that looks like the suspect in the watch settings or the Galaxy Wear app.