Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

smarxist posted:

RIP Scandinavian empire in 925 AD :negative:

was like 77/90 counties and just got too greedy on my timeline, I really needed to take a year off and shore up my support and rebuild my army, but i felt my ruler getting close to death, sigh.

i started a war of duchy conquest with sweden and all the norse fucks forced either a war or a conversion to norse culture/faith, or they were going to raise like 10 armies, i read the penalties for the snap conversion but the game decided to basically snowball the end of my empire ambitions lol

i literally got a one off message like YOUR WICKED DEEDS HAVE FAR REACHING CONSEQUENCES

i think i needed to hybridize faith or culture or something

Your dream is not dead, building up to it in the first place is the difficult part, stitching it back together over the objections of your brothers is easy.

e: oh there's more I did not see here, what exactly happened? It sounds like a Great Holy War, but as a non-organized faith presumably Asatru can't call one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Man these new danger settings are no joke. I died instantly the first time I went into a spooky forest.

Avoidable by like, spending 5g, but hey, at least it's possible now!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Your dream is not dead, building up to it in the first place is the difficult part, stitching it back together over the objections of your brothers is easy.

e: oh there's more I did not see here, what exactly happened? It sounds like a Great Holy War, but as a non-organized faith presumably Asatru can't call one...

Sounds like a peasant rebellion from a few dozen Norse counties. Which would mean pretty enormous numbers, even if they're all levies. In the early 900s you might not have the MAA to tear through all of them.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
stayed up all night with my new ironman save annnnnnnnd

first empire! :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve gotten the incapable event twice now and I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to avoid it. I get a warning event first, and then a few years later I’ll get the actual event where a pot hits me in the head, or I slip and fall getting out of the bath. Just no clue if I’m supposed to do something to head it off. My characters are high prowess, so I know it’s not that.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

There usually isn't anything you can do in between the warning and the actual event. You can pay some stress to get out of them when they land if your character has the right traits. Craven is especially useful for that.

edit: these are in game/events/harm_events.txt if you want to look

No Pants fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 12, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ve gotten the incapable event twice now and I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to avoid it. I get a warning event first, and then a few years later I’ll get the actual event where a pot hits me in the head, or I slip and fall getting out of the bath. Just no clue if I’m supposed to do something to head it off. My characters are high prowess, so I know it’s not that.

You can't avoid it. It is part of the new forboding system to add variance into the game. The designer doesn't want to just insta gently caress you with random deaths so they give you a forboding event so that you know your PC is under threat of death or incapacitation. The forboding might be nothing but it seems that often it is very real so it gives you a chance to prepare somewhat. There are other forboding events that warn you to stay away from certain activities (which are of course beneficial). You can heed the advice and not do the thing or you can say screw it and go hunting again for stress loss and then risk dying.

If you don't like it there is an option to turn it off entirely.

e:beaten

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ok good to know. I don’t mind the events, but I just thought maybe there’s something I could do to avoid it. My last one really threw me because my guy inherited at age 7 after dad was murdered two years in to his reign. Then my guy becomes a lunatic at 16, has one daughter and then immediately is incapacitated at 22. I didn’t look forward to like 40 years of that so at 30 I committed suicide.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I restarted in Ireland to test my new combat knowledge and I quickly ate up two duchies. Remembering to be careful about attacking over a river came in particularly handy, as did making sure I stayed well stocked with capable knights. And then my 30 year old high chieftain got apoplexy and dropped dead. Paradox giveth and taketh away, again.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Had some helpful suggestions for getting out of my HRE situation, but I didn't have the heart to imprison my daughter, plus she had the intelligent trait so I wanted to make her my player heir if possible... I also didn't feel I could get her to become the HRE heir before I died, which would have allowed me to keep the domain I had built up.

But another way out presented itself: a faction to put some other random duke (not a vassal of mine) on the HRE throne had enough force to issue an ultimatum, so I just ignored it, and when the demand came I acceded to it. Problem solved; I'm now just King of Bohemia and my daughter is my player heir again. I also got the True Royal Court achievement for having more court grandeur than the new Emperor.

My kingdom and duchy titles have kept confederate partition from when I was HRE instead of reverting to seniority, but I should at least have high partition in 28 years, and in the meantime I only have one kid, and have remarried an infertile genius, so all looking reasonably good.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It took a few times, but this game is really growing on me over CK2. Playing the classic 1066 start in Spain starting as the younger brother has been fun. I'm not bothering to try to consolidate the Jimena kingdoms but through marriage, death and war they have been combined and separated about 5 times now.

I actually want to be a king or higher in this game because the court stuff is pretty fun. I keep getting the same 5 or so events though, are they based on location? Also, travelling is fun and actually something to think about. Some count invited me to a feast and it's like 10 months away, in CK2 it doesn't matter but now I have a real reason to just say no. I had my first major travel disaster when my zealous pilgrim king died with half of my court on his 5th or so pilgrimage. It did kill one of my kids which solved a gavelkind problem.

Any tips on getting hooks on the emperor when I'm in the HRE? I played a bit as House Babenburg in Austria but my expansion stopped when crown laws made it so I couldn't declare war without a hook on the emperor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

gurragadon posted:

Any tips on getting hooks on the emperor when I'm in the HRE? I played a bit as House Babenburg in Austria but my expansion stopped when crown laws made it so I couldn't declare war without a hook on the emperor.

Grab the first activities dynasty perk, have a wedding. You can also just have your spymaster looking for secrets in his court, of if hooks refuse to come just give up levies (or very early on, forced partition) in exchange for war declaration rights.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Had an interesting run that I'm probably about done with as I can't do a whole lot more with it.

Was Mozarabic and ended the struggle and converted all of Iberia to Mozarabism. Then I bonded my faith to the pope so he was my head of faith. I was then able to Mend the Schism, but since I was Mozarabic, this made catholics and othrodox evil religions. So now the Catholic Pope was my head of faith, while we considered each other evil. Well I wasn't going to deal with that, so I then dismantled the papacy and created a new Mozarabic head of faith. Frankly, the Pope had it coming because he kept granting people claims on my poo poo since I was a woman. Take that patriarchy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The tours and tournaments dlc did a lot to make me like the game, but is there a way to make war not suck complete rear end? The ai's ability to manage their large stacks is beyond frustrating, especially with how easily they can split to handle attrition but it's way more of a mental tax for me, and I guess I'm not overloading on one MAA hard enough to get stack wipes. I wish there was a way for me to turn over my army to the ai because I think they'd at least be able to handle attrition and maneuvering way better than I.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The AI is only good at getting armies to the right size so they don't starve, but they will happily march an army through enemy territory getting knocked down 100-200 people for every county they roll through.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why is attrition such a big deal for you? Apart from Crusades, it really shouldn't be an issue at all. If trying to conquer a huge amount of area in a single war, note that you can replenish in occupied counties as they will count as 'yours' for most intents. Just use the 'split army in half' button and put them in two holdings, but I have to do this like... once per generation as a dedicated warmonger-player, it's pretty uncommon.

edit: Oh yea, "Don't use levies (except for sieging)" is solid advice, and also has a QoL side effect of never being over the supply cap.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 12, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When your stacks get so big you start attriting like crazy just put a logistician in charge of it until you have to get into battle. Also just memorizing the keyboard shortcuts to split stacks and knowing which types of provinces generally have more supply is useful knowledge. Curse Paradox for taking out the supply limit mapmode which was present in Imperator Rome

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Honestly, with as good as MaA are with the new patch, I would never use levies anyway. It's really easy to get the damage bonuses from buildings up to the 150% range by 1100, which combined with the +10-90% MaA bonus from accolades makes using anything other than MaA pointless.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

binge crotching posted:

Honestly, with as good as MaA are with the new patch, I would never use levies anyway. It's really easy to get the damage bonuses from buildings up to the 150% range by 1100, which combined with the +10-90% MaA bonus from accolades makes using anything other than MaA pointless.

Be careful with DLC-specific advice, it's not a big leap to assume players asking for advice haven't bought everything asap. But yes I agree, the MaA stationing changes make it very very easy to catapult your initial stacks into absurd territories without any real forward planning.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I tried to just use my MaA but they got overrun really easily. But I guess I did split them between HI and Heavy Cav. I'm playing as Bohemia, so using their cultural HI and generic heavy cav. Should I just sell everything and only do HI or something? I only have a few hills for all the special infantry buildings but saw I had a decent amount of flatlands for the cav poo poo.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Attrition is just another way of reducing army maintenance.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eimi posted:

I tried to just use my MaA but they got overrun really easily. But I guess I did split them between HI and Heavy Cav. I'm playing as Bohemia, so using their cultural HI and generic heavy cav. Should I just sell everything and only do HI or something? I only have a few hills for all the special infantry buildings but saw I had a decent amount of flatlands for the cav poo poo.

Are you using Landsknechts? Those are decent, not top tier or anything but should do the job. Just checking to see if you are stationing them in a county? Also, are you building the appropriate buildings in the county to buff the stationed unit? When we are talking about MaA cheese, we are talking about it in the context of stationing specific units in a county and then using the building slots in that county to buff the stationed MaA stats to the high heavens. If you don't station them or build the appropriate buildings, then they can and will be overrun by truly massive stacks. Also keep up with Knights by hiring good followers and appointing good commanders to your armies. A high-prowess Knight (20+) can be worth a small MaA regiment in the early game before MaA bonuses start rolling in. The calculation is 100 x Prowess x knight effectiveness multiplier so a single knight could add 3000-4000 damage to the army (equivalent to 400 peasants). Now a court of 10 knights going into battle is scary strong.

Also, check the general supply rating of the counties in which you will be fighting. Raise your MaA and then raise enough levies so that you are near the max supply cap. While levies suck, they can be used as an HP sponge and don't cost money to replenish. Say you have 2000 MaA and 2000 levies in the army. The levies will soak 50% (numerically proportional) of the incoming damage in the first few rounds till they get killed off. This allows your MaA to churn through AI stacks without taking the full brunt of the damage. Just don't overdo it with levies since if you go over the supply cap, you tend to start running out of supply real fast and since there is a combat width mechanic, if you have say like 10,000 levies with 2000 MaA, you might actually hurt your MaA damage output if they can't all fit in the combat width.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eimi posted:

You need to still use levies until you've gotten ~3 full stacks of the same type of MaA (the other two stacks are catapults). Don't neglect your knights, a few points in the right-side Chivalry tree plus matrilinial-marrying courtiers to recruit 40+ prowess unlanded geriatrics can easily result in a pile of knights doing most of the work. The Warfare lifestyle is very very good when you're still quite small, but once you've gotten a stack of quality knights operating at >150%, a few full very large MaA boys who are stationed in nice baronies giving +50% or more, you can suddenly roll out with 1500 HeavyInf and 20 knights and go clobber stacks of 5k+ easily. It's a bit of effort & money early, but once the army is assembled it cheerfully stays there through inheritance (with maybe only losing the Chivalry boosts, which can be replaced much later on with the right cultural tradition) and so your later characters can focus on doing other fun stuff instead of worrying about war.

So again, very early on you still need those 500 levies to boost your piddly 200 MaA's in order to conquer a single county, but later on once you've set up all the synergies (which can be done permanently within a single lifespan) you no longer need to drag along 5k levies to knock over kindgoms. When in doubt, trust the pre-battle tooltip that pops up when issuing movements.

edit: Early in the game, the very best value for money is gotten with mercenaries, no question. The money 'lost' on them lets you skip ahead to finally having a personal domain and vassals who give income.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 13, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

Are you using Landsknechts? Those are decent, not top tier or anything but should do the job. Just checking to see if you are stationing them in a county? Also, are you building the appropriate buildings in the county to buff the stationed unit? When we are talking about MaA cheese, we are talking about it in the context of stationing specific units in a county and then using the building slots in that county to buff the stationed MaA stats to the high heavens. If you don't station them or build the appropriate buildings, then they can and will be overrun by truly massive stacks. Also keep up with Knights by hiring good followers and appointing good commanders to your armies. A high-prowess Knight (20+) can be worth a small MaA regiment in the early game before MaA bonuses start rolling in. The calculation is 100 x Prowess x knight effectiveness multiplier so a single knight could add 3000-4000 damage to the army (equivalent to 400 peasants). Now a court of 10 knights going into battle is scary strong.

Also, check the general supply rating of the counties in which you will be fighting. Raise your MaA and then raise enough levies so that you are near the max supply cap. While levies suck, they can be used as an HP sponge and don't cost money to replenish. Say you have 2000 MaA and 2000 levies in the army. The levies will soak 50% (numerically proportional) of the incoming damage in the first few rounds till they get killed off. This allows your MaA to churn through AI stacks without taking the full brunt of the damage. Just don't overdo it with levies since if you go over the supply cap, you tend to start running out of supply real fast and since there is a combat width mechanic, if you have say like 10,000 levies with 2000 MaA, you might actually hurt your MaA damage output if they can't all fit in the combat width.

Nah I'm using whatever the Czech special HI is, not landsknechts, I started in 867. I have been stationing and building to match. I hybridized my culture with Franconian, Zbrojnosh is the name of what I've got iirc. Looking at the cultural stuff, maybe I should've conquered some Norse stuff to nab VV, I know they are op. I have the general bonuses HI in hills counties for the hills building that buffs them and HC in flatland, though the duchy build I took was a development focused one to print money/tech. Should I just refocus all my MAA to be the same type, whether that's Zbrojnosh or heavy cav?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eimi posted:

Should I just refocus all my MAA to be the same type, whether that's Zbrojnosh or heavy cav?

Yea, due to the way the countering system works it's actually beneficial to have only a single type, especially since the AI is told to diversify. It's the one thing they really really should have taken a strong look at when MaA got reworked, but I guess it's just the de facto way things are now.

edit: vv Whichever floats your boat, man. I often suggest cultural stuff since you'll never see them again if your next playthrough is in a different area. I suppose to be optimal just check that your holding's terrain can construct the right building type for MaA bonuses.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 13, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Serephina posted:

Yea, due to the way the countering system works it's actually beneficial to have only a single type, especially since the AI is told to diversify. It's the one thing they really really should have taken a strong look at when MaA got reworked, but I guess it's just the de facto way things are now.

Okay, would the czech culture HI or heavy cav be the best to get? I can support either fund wise since my development is insane.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Armoured Cavalry are strictly better if you can afford it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Check pursuit damage too, it can be worth it to have a full stack of light cav to turn routs into massacres

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Buschmaki posted:

Check pursuit damage too, it can be worth it to have a full stack of light cav to turn routs into massacres

I'd love it if that was optimal, but due to early combat wins giving an automatic stackwipe it's just... build good stuff until you can win, then build more good stuff until you win so hard that they explode. I really wished that they took a crack a the unit mixing problem.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eimi posted:

Nah I'm using whatever the Czech special HI is, not landsknechts, I started in 867. I have been stationing and building to match. I hybridized my culture with Franconian, Zbrojnosh is the name of what I've got iirc. Looking at the cultural stuff, maybe I should've conquered some Norse stuff to nab VV, I know they are op. I have the general bonuses HI in hills counties for the hills building that buffs them and HC in flatland, though the duchy build I took was a development focused one to print money/tech. Should I just refocus all my MAA to be the same type, whether that's Zbrojnosh or heavy cav?

Ok, Zbrojnosh are good at base 34 damage and 20 toughness. They will scale decently but Armored Cav is like 125 base attack so they scale crazy good with buildings since everything is % based. Serephina is right in that stacking all of one type (remember siege engines though!) is best though not needed to beat the AI, just don't recruit lovely MaA like Light Infantry. I would seriously consider ensuring whatever county they are stationed in has all the buildings needed to buff them and leave the unstationed counties as economic provinces. For example, in my VV counties, I have the blacksmith and the barracks line of buildings that both give +% bonus to MaAs stationed. You really want to be stacking every buff you can. You'll know what we mean when you have absurd units like 150 attack/ 100 HP Heavy infantry that just laugh at stacks 10 times their size. Armored Cav is even better and can easily get to 300 Attack/ 150 HP. Levies meanwhile are stuck at 10 attack and 10 defense the entire game.

But really, as long as you pick a decent MaA and build the right buildings to support it, fighting the AI shouldn't be a problem.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

Ok, Zbrojnosh are good at base 34 damage and 20 toughness. They will scale decently but Armored Cav is like 125 base attack so they scale crazy good with buildings since everything is % based. Serephina is right in that stacking all of one type (remember siege engines though!) is best though not needed to beat the AI, just don't recruit lovely MaA like Light Infantry. I would seriously consider ensuring whatever county they are stationed in has all the buildings needed to buff them and leave the unstationed counties as economic provinces. For example, in my VV counties, I have the blacksmith and the barracks line of buildings that both give +% bonus to MaAs stationed. You really want to be stacking every buff you can. You'll know what we mean when you have absurd units like 150 attack/ 100 HP Heavy infantry that just laugh at stacks 10 times their size. Armored Cav is even better and can easily get to 300 Attack/ 150 HP. Levies meanwhile are stuck at 10 attack and 10 defense the entire game.

But really, as long as you pick a decent MaA and build the right buildings to support it, fighting the AI shouldn't be a problem.

Swapping over to all HC was quite drastic. I didn't even have their buildings built up yet, but I was war decced by the Byzantines and my 4k stack of MaA obliterated his 40k doomstack before my reinforcing levies even made it into battle. Which is an insane difference from before when in the previous war I was struggling to beat evenly sized armies

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

One weird trick Alexios Komnenos doesn't want you to know!

But yeah ACav were just ludicrously good prepatch, and they're even better now. The smaller unit size is even a buff, since it means fewer of the enemy guys are hitting you.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah for all that people say to not use levies for fighting, bringing some of them along as ablative armor is still sometimes useful. It does increase combat width though, so you might not want to do it with heavy infantry. But if you're stacking knights, elephants, or archers (low toughness), or apparently heavy cav too, bringing levies to die does help.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Probably late to the party on this but holy god regency is op. I embezzled like 3k gold in the early 10th century after being appointed regent, my core territory is literally as built up as it can possibly be with full holdings. The embezzle from fellow vassal option definitely needs a longer cooldown!

Also I hunted a legendary white wolf and it felt really good to get that sweet pelt! :)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
A little off topic but Pentiment is on sale, and it’s basically Disco Elysium with a medieval skin. Set in the early 16th century, but the oldest man in town was born in the 1430s! Never thought I’d get a conversation check that counts “invoked Paul in a negative way” against me :catholic:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 13, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Set in the early 16th century, but the oldest man in town was born in the 1430s!

The fact that Ill Peter is alive in the last chapter and outlives several younger characters even a few that die of natural causes. is humorous to me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

A little off topic but Pentiment is on sale, and it’s basically Disco Elysium with a medieval skin. Set in the early 16th century, but the oldest man in town was born in the 1430s! Never thought I’d get a conversation check that counts “invoked Paul in a negative way” against me :catholic:

That game is good

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So this is kind of cool, I found a new event chain that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else. It started with finding a secret room while I was visiting a vassal on tour and then finding the "Mysterious Journal" inside. It's a seemingly useless artifact that gives you +10% stress but it also unlocks an "Open the Journal" decision that requires two additional things. Well, after many years and only a little digging around in the events files because my guy was super old and I still needed one more thing, I was finally able to open it!

There's four variations with different stat/lifestyle bonuses, but I liked this one because it sounds the coolest. You also get some renown and prestige.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My King got a bad omen on a pilgrimage before dying on a 5% chance to a boar when I chased a duck. Should have listened.

His son just got old enough to do a grand tour. First stop was my super cool great uncle/regent who’s had my back despite me ascending to the throne age six.

I woke up to find he’d left me a pile of hashish cakes next to my bed. Absolute legend. Not even an adult yet.

I don’t know how I’m supposed to find time to map paint with so many distractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
My child rulers keep getting kegs of beer to wake up to. I guess it's better than them proccing the prostitute version of the event, but still.