Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Quill posted:

Just a general heads up that the Twitch drops have started.

This actually working for you? I've got my account connected and all, and watched for more than an hour and it doesn't look like anything is registering or progressing at all on the drops page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

This actually working for you? I've got my account connected and all, and watched for more than an hour and it doesn't look like anything is registering or progressing at all on the drops page.

Yes, I got everything the first day it started. Maybe try putting multiple streams on simultaneously and seeing if any of them make progress? If not, it could be a browser add-on causing trouble. Try a different browser, if convenient. Twitch is notoriously twitchy.

Also, the drops still have the general issue where tracking might stop once you claim something. Simple fix is refreshing the stream.

One more thing to mention; the "x3 Upgrade Extractors" are actually three separate 20 minute drops in the same slot, so an hour in total watch time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't done living story or much of GW2 since EoD, but starting the current one out of curiousity just makes me amazed of how many freaking times are the writers gonna go "you need to reflect on your past". I get it, it was very traumatizing, can we just move on already?!? Of all the choices presented at the reflecting part I went "Who the hell is Cinder?" and also why the hell is Trahearne not an option for my sylvari? I know a lot of people hate him, but I've always liked his character arc, and my character definitely should. Or my mentor?

Although it doesn't seem like I've missed much content from not playing for a year or so anyway.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 25, 2023

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
I had to look Cinder up, and it feels so random out of all of the people who have died. Can't really remember anything about them. Even "Vlast" had me puzzled for a few moments.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah this current story is very underwhelming and doesn’t speak well of future content. Especially if the next expac has to stand on its own without new elite specs to drive excitement.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I desperately want to hold out some sort of hope for PvE having good content again someday but it's soul-suckingly awful drip feed content or re-releasing crap that sucked to begin with. I'll probably not be pre-ordering the next expansion and wait to see how others review it first but I have been thinking a lot and maybe outside of some WvW, my time might largely be done with the game at this point.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've been feeling burnt out on it after trying it again after the latest expansion, after awhile you just start to notice that all there is is filling in the checkbox on daily/weekly content and repeating it over and over to make one of many number go up.

At least once you've once-overed all the content there is to do and all there is to explore (and there is a lot of content), but once you are at the point of just spending several hours re-doing fractals and dailies and world bosses and busywork you might as well use those hours on better fun-per-hour games.

Trying new builds was also needlessly annoying too because of them monetizing build slots and banning the mods that used to do the same job and having to redo stats on over 12 pieces of gear not counting weapons one at a time if I didn't buy a build slot per character.

It's a shame because the gameplay has held up as feeling smooth even 10 years later but all the content in the game either only asks you to auto attack and afk or follow a rotation on a good build with 4-9 other people doing the same, usually stacked on the same pixel.

I'll still log in occasionally for the daily login bonuses and current blacklion freebie and treasure chest characters, but that's just the skinner box still having a grasp on me.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Lonk posted:

I have been thinking a lot and maybe outside of some WvW, my time might largely be done with the game at this point.

Very coincidental timing, Josh Strife Hayes just made a video related to this. He's talking about WoW, but it's the same idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXS30Jb1ww8

I'm still enjoying teaching new players strikes, helping people get their turtle, doing World Boss trains and open world stuff, but I don't know if I have the stomach for grinding Legendary equipment. I'll stick with Ascended gear and call it a day. I might slowly work towards Nevermore just because it's so cool, and that's enough of a long-term project.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

as a convert.

go for raid leggy armour. It isnt so much of a grind. (at least the first set)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Legendary armor and jewelry is a good goal to set because once you have legendary in those slots you can feel confident in auto-salvaging everything you acquire in those slots going forward instead of feeling like you got to hoard that ascended stuff for a new spec on a character.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i built a bifrost before armor/rings etc existed and i'm kinda sad because i'd rather have those, since builds generally depend on weapon types but armor is global and staff dps has been garbage on ele basically ever since so i only ever use it for heal tempest lmao

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

While we're sharing n=1 sample sizes, I found getting a few legendaries (3-4 trinkets plus a set of armor) made the game a lot more accessible with the freedom to experiment and try new things. I also don't feel like I'm gonna be super behind when I inevitably take some time off and the meta shifts.

For all the stuff gw2 gets wrong, the viability of low intensity builds is great because I never would have done it without that path open. Though this would be a moot point if the most useful stats weren't heavily gated and the rest being traps.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Meskhenet posted:

as a convert.

go for raid leggy armour. It isnt so much of a grind. (at least the first set)

Thank you, great advice - this is probably the direction I'll go.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Legendary armor and jewelry is a good goal to set because once you have legendary in those slots you can feel confident in auto-salvaging everything you acquire in those slots going forward instead of feeling like you got to hoard that ascended stuff for a new spec on a character.

Also awesome advice, I just worry about the grind for acquiring it. Watching MightyTeapot's videos and seeing how much mental pain he's in as he completes legendary collections, I don't know if I've got it in me. And he's got to be one of the biggest Arenanet cheerleaders out there.

It sounds amazing for its utility, and I wouldn't have to pick Winterberries for the rest of my life for gearing alts.

Guest2553 posted:

While we're sharing n=1 sample sizes, I found getting a few legendaries (3-4 trinkets plus a set of armor) made the game a lot more accessible with the freedom to experiment and try new things. I also don't feel like I'm gonna be super behind when I inevitably take some time off and the meta shifts.

It sound really tempting, especially when I think about my main, Guardian, where I could see having full sets of Minstrel, Harrier, Ritualist, and Berserker, depending on the situation.

I'm terrible at jumping puzzles and kinda sad they're in so many of the legendary collection quests, maybe I can bribe a Mesmer or ask some guildies to help.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I thought the collections and raids in general were bullshit so i didn't start any till late Dec/early Jan after returning from a 2 year hiatus. Somebody upthread linked a low-intensity-for-every-class guide that seemed simple enough so I decked out a ~27k dps condi virt and quickdps HB. It took maybe a weekend to get enough exotic/ascended gear but both were more than enough for pug raids (and eventually some goon ones). In the time it took to collect 300LI a bunch of exotic ascended weapons and armor dropped as well, which was nice because I have no deliberate plans to make a second set of armor.

If you have the 'return to' achievements unlocked, the last reward tier is a legendary amulet and you get a bunch of mystic coins/clovers/mastery points out of it. Plus some living world mats which makes the leggy accessory easier, but you do need a wvw gift of battle for those. If you've been saving coins and clovers from login tracks those will help, I didn't feel like gambling for them so that was my biggest timegated item. I did use the liquid gold I got from playing to buy the might+magic stuff though, trying to farm them myself sucked.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 5, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The preview for the next balance patch is this Friday @ noon PST.
https://twitter.com/guildwars2/status/1665753875335479296?s=46&t=TINvpMSj62m0XYJsiOEYRw

Teaser image for some of the changes:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I just think of the collections as a list of things during my playtime that happen to have a cool reward. Open world games lack direction on what to do some times so it usually keeps me interested in the game for longer. Just don’t try to power through it all as fast as you can.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jedah posted:

Also awesome advice, I just worry about the grind for acquiring it. Watching MightyTeapot's videos and seeing how much mental pain he's in as he completes legendary collections, I don't know if I've got it in me. And he's got to be one of the biggest Arenanet cheerleaders out there.

The collections for raid armor and the raid ring are just doing the raids. There's some normal mode fractal shenanigans and talking to some npcs, but that's pretty trivial. Beyond that it's the LI raid currency which is just a matter of time. The real pain is in the end when you have to craft things->things->things->things->things->thing several dozen times... and that's just GW2 crafting in general.

There are legendary trinkets with much longer processes but the armor is dead simple (in all three paths) and mainly just timegated. If you're in NA/EU and can clear all wings every week it takes like five weeks to get your first set.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Collections are one of GW2's best features imo. Execution isn't necessarily great across the board, but it's cool to have a way of getting stuff that's more like discrete unique steps rather than just grinding the same thing until you've accumulated enough currency x, or until RNG blesses you with the 0.5% droprate item. And in a game without a dungeon finder type feature (or the content to support one), it's nice to have something pointing you to a wider range of content - especially when GW2 has so many cool little spots and things you'd never ever do otherwise.

Tongue-Tied
Mar 10, 2007

Pillbug
If you have Amazon Prime, they occasionally give free in game items at https://gaming.amazon.com/home. This time it is the Glowing Purple Mask. I already have it unlocked so posting my claim code in case anyone wants it (just post if you use it please).

CHHB3C-HR4HC-3H6B-PC9-SMFR27L

Redeem it by:

1) Sign into your Account Management Page using your ArenaNet account. (https://account.arena.net/login)

2) Click the "Redeem Code" on the ‘Overview’ page.

3) Enter or copy and paste your code into the “Enter Registration Code” field.

4) Hit Submit to redeem the code and add it to your account.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Here's my code.

H33CSD-H7PN4-QTHN-HLW-9FV12MT

Go nuts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ally effect filtering goes live today, right?
That should make group content way easier to learn.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Inzombiac posted:

Ally effect filtering goes live today, right?
That should make group content way easier to learn.

ironically it's bugged right now and hides some boss effects like bomb markers, making group content way harder.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
One fun thing I ran into was that the Samarog Big/Little green circles weren't showing up. If I got the little circle I wouldn't be able to see the big one, but the weird circles that show up over their head would still be there so I had to look for that instead (and those blend in pretty well with the environment). And if I didn't have either, there would just be a surprise spear at some points throughout the fights and ow they hurt.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It also hides player portals. It needs a little work. At least they didn't break half the PvE encounters this patch!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What's a good place for a newer player to find guilds or friends? The few friends I made in the game pretty much stopped playing after a couple days.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Both goon guilds are active. Information is in the OP.

As for friends…

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

whydirt posted:

Both goon guilds are active. Information is in the OP.

As for friends…

Would have helped if my reading comprehension was above a fungus. I'll check it out, thanks.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

neither goon guild is dead per se but neither is super active either. if you want raids, SFD runs the emboldened one on saturdays, goon does daily marionette and some other misc stuff, both have some chat, but neither are super active as far as activities go. thankfully you can have up to five guilds in this game so its not a huge deal to join both and then a different guild for active play.

best bet for guilds otherwise is just play the lottery of looking in low level zones for guilds, joining them, and eventually finding a group you gel with.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I figured just poking around some more might be my best bet. Little different from ffxiv that I'm used to. They have a whole section of the site for advertising guilds and discords just for finding groups. Seems like GW2 is a bit more in game oriented.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The guild equivalent of most games is filled by Discord. Go join one of the raiding Discords and get yourself a team. I'm sure there's plenty of PvP/WvW things as well for those into that. In-game guilds seem to be... mostly friends and people to do open world stuff with. Kind of the reverse of WoW.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Reminder that there's a balance update preview stream today in about an hour
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/1665753875335479296

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
RIP Scourge, drat. Good changes overall though. Not quite sure what they mean for herald but anything is going to be better than spamming facets on cd.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ele signets giving auras is my favorite change in a long time and suddenly opens up a lot of possibilities. I pretty much have a functional auramancer build for each spec (including core), and making auras more widely available will make them even more fun.

Still waiting on that conjure rework though :colbert:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mr. Neutron posted:

RIP Scourge, drat. Good changes overall though. Not quite sure what they mean for herald but anything is going to be better than spamming facets on cd.

Tying the quickness generation to upkeep instead of spamming facets seems like a great change.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Alright, I'm jumping back into the game and I've always had a problem with difficulty when it comes to the expansions and their story content. I think I've even asked here before about how to handle it. Either way, how do you guys deal with tons of mobs and poo poo and having what feels like a small pool of health? Any OP classes/builds that are recommended for noobs or anything?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Use celestial gear, no matter what class/build you are playing. It works with everything. Nothing in story is going to give you trouble.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Elblanco posted:

Any OP classes/builds that are recommended for noobs or anything?

Necromancer is very strong for someone still getting used to the combat - high health pool, a second health pool with innate damage reduction, a number of weapon choices, and minions that can distract enemies from you.

Try to focus on either Power or Condition Damage, don't try to mix the two.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Elblanco posted:

Alright, I'm jumping back into the game and I've always had a problem with difficulty when it comes to the expansions and their story content. I think I've even asked here before about how to handle it. Either way, how do you guys deal with tons of mobs and poo poo and having what feels like a small pool of health? Any OP classes/builds that are recommended for noobs or anything?
Celestial Mirage, Mechanist, Firebrand and Herald are all strong. Some others as well. Reaper with Berserker gear and maybe some Marauder or Dragon gear mixed in is the current "friendly and OP neighborhood blender of the month".

Guildjen.com has a section on open world builds and you can't go wrong with any of the recommended beginner specs. They also have demo or instructional videos attached to every build. Hardstuck.gg has open world specs and difficulty ratings as well, but they lean towards group support with some of their beginner builds (e.g. Scourge or Firebrand).

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Celestial vindicator is also very good. If you take a stamina sigil, you transform into a pogo stick / dragoon and just jump non-stop.

For absolute beginner friendly? Look up LI Necromancer. There's a core build centered around pets and a staff with really cheap gear requirements. You won't kill anything really quickly, but you will kill everything and never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Elblanco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@LordHizen/videos lordhizen's stuff is usually fine enough, tends to sometimes be overkill but usually works out.

keep in mind many of the more powerful open world builds rely on Celestial, which takes a few days (rl time gating) to craft yourself or is very expensive to buy off of the TP. if you don't have access to all that yet, Power Mechanist (engineer) or Power Reaper (necro), both using full berserker's gear are the cheapest and easiest options to get started with.