Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm not "looking for" anything; I was trying to keep the goalposts in the same place in order to clarify the posts to which I was initially responding.

Since you made your "these statements are false" comment I don't think anyone disagreed with you.

Personally, this is how I read those comments, but the posters can respond for themselves.

gurragadon posted:

I'm pretty sure the original person was just making a glib joke because she lies about everything.

I'm not sure what goalposts you're referring to, since there doesn't actually seem to be an actual disagreement, which is why I asked you what you goal is.

If the goal is "get agreement MTG probably actually went into the SCIF" then I think it's accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

As I said, I had no goal beyond correcting the posts that claimed counterfactuals.

As far as moving goalposts:

BDawg posted:

If anything matters, the part about being allowed into the SCIF.

BDawg posted:

She's allowed to enter a SCIF because she's a member of Congress. But, in my opinion she shouldn't be given access because she's a risk.

a. She lied about having access

b. She didn't lie about the access, but she shouldn't have been allowed the access.

and a couple other diversionary posts as well, but this is getting into meta territory that I fear will be used as a basis for punishing me if I pursue it.

I'm happy to continue the convo by PM, though, if you need further clarification.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

As I said, I had no goal beyond correcting the posts that claimed counterfactuals.

As far as moving goalposts:

and a couple other diversionary posts as well, but this is getting into meta territory that I fear will be used as a basis for punishing me if I pursue it.

I'm happy to continue the convo by PM, though, if you need further clarification.

No, thank you. I'm good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Willa Rogers posted:

Given the forum's reputation as the serious one for political discussion, I think it's important that we stick to factual events rather than projecting our opinions & personal feelings on things that have been proven to have factually happened, as I've said.

I was under the belief that this has been a longstanding standard of discussion here.

It is perfectly possible for a story to be made up even if everything in it is true. Man of the current Republican thought leaders do that pretty regularly now. The allegation you were responding to (it being "made up") was against the credibility of the claims, I believe, rather than their actual veracity. The other arguments you've bypassed about her technical inability to do what was claimed were about the veracity, but those you don't seem concerned about.

"She made up the story" is not a counterfactual. It's conjecture. Guaranteed, not at all, but fairly well supported by her previous behavioural pattern of saying whatever sounds good and plausible in the moment without any real regard to what the truth might be. See: Her explanation of missing the debt ceiling vote.

You asked me:

Willa Rogers posted:

So you're stating that she never entered the SCIF, correct?

Except that was absolutely and clearly not what I stated.

The original claim she made was that she went into the SCIF, read the documents, made notes, walked out and immediately wrote down everything she had just read.

The two responses, as far as I can make out, were that she probably isn't technically capable of having done that, and that with her credibility issues she very possibly said it because she thought it sounded good, and who the gently caress knows what actually happened but it isn't an admission of a crime (were it even criminal) because she probably didn't do what she said like how she said it, and even if she did her saying it has very little impact on the likelihood of whether she actually did it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This is the post that started the conversation.

These were the subsequent replies to which I responded:

Dietrich posted:

She's made the whole thing up, I'm pretty sure.

BDawg posted:

If anything matters, the part about being allowed into the SCIF.

GlyphGryph posted:

With who we're talking about here, it possible she was allowed in the SCIF but never even bothered to go. This is the one that basically lies constantly right? Or is that Boebert?

Again, I'm happy to continue clarification through PMs from hereon if anyone is still confused about my responses.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 9, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Boy if I had a nickel for every time I said that and people didn't believe me. It's frustrating. I do believe that that was your goal.

The only person who said anything that could be interpreted as saying she lied about going to the SCIF is BDawg, who has already made another post indicating that they understand Greene is allowed in the SCIF. It seems like when they said "being allowed into the SCIF" they meant that, unlike anything Greene said about what she saw there, which was 0% reliable, it was newsworthy and concerning that she was even let in. It was definitely confusing, but I don't believe there's any misconception left to be cleared up. We good?

While it sucks Greene is seeing secret documents, I agree with the opinion that you pretty much have to let Congresspeople read docs they are entitled to from the executive branch, because it's an extremely important constitutional check, and that they can't be excluded (unless, I suppose, there was a House vote to exclude them.)

In any case, I have little doubt that Greene's reading was heavily biased, as were her notes, as was her summary of the notes. There is no way she was going to look at that form and say "Oh, well, I guess it's nothing!"

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This slapfight is stupid and not interesting. Move on, everyone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
In another arrest news, one of the guys who Paxton was impeached for being involved with has now been indicted for financial crimes.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1667207609013743618

It sure feels like the courts are getting busy this year.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2023

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Killer robot posted:

Virginia did pretty nice while it lasted too. It's almost like the people who said flipping seats matters were right or something.
The frustrating thing in Virginia is that after passing a bunch of good stuff, the Dems seemed embarrassed to actually tell anyone what they did when the next election came around, and they ended up losing the state house and the governor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee, initially assigned to oversee his case: Sources

Apparently they assigned the same dipshit judge who assigned a special master during the investigation and was excoriated by the appeals judge for bending over backwards for Trump as the judge presiding over his trial.

What a face.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

From the Trump Legal Troubles thread:

Edit: Haha helps if I quote the right Twitter post.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Wasn't it found that the timeline for the original set of claims about Biden and Burisma didn't make any sense? That the GOP claimed Biden tried to oust the prosecutor in question for investigating Hunter, but in fact everyone wanted him out for being openly, completely corrupt and refusing to investigate anything? Didn't Barr himself investigate the bribery claim during the Trump years and come to nothing about it?

Edit: Serious question as It's been long enough that all of that has filtered out of my memory for more current nonsense.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 9, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Wasn't it found that the timeline for the original set of claims about Biden and Burisma didn't make any sense? That the GOP claimed Biden tried to oust the prosecutor in question for investigating Hunter, but in fact everyone wanted him out for being openly, completely corrupt and refusing to investigate anything? Didn't Barr himself investigate the bribery claim during the Trump years and come to nothing about it?

Edit: Serious question as It's been long enough that all of that has filtered out of my memory for more current nonsense.

Yeah it's nothing. The point of repeatedly bringing it up is to try and present Biden as corrupt or more corrupt than Trump as a deflection and prelude to an impeachment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The indictment has been unsealed

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1667225924348026889?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1667226216573575169

He had the Real poo poo, and showed it to whoever. The poo poo they got him saying on tape…

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This seems incriminating but I am not a lawyer.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1667229783199981574?s=20

quote:

Trump: See as President I could have declassified it.

Staffer: Yeah. [Laughter.]

Trump: Now I can't, you know, but this is still a secret.

Staffer: Yeah. [Laughter.] Now we have a problem.

Trump: Isn't that interesting?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 9, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But I was assured presidential declassification powers transcend time and space?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So that’s it, the indictment is for sharing the nuclear secrets with randos.

Tuesday is going to be wild.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

USCE Summer - Yeah. [Laughter.] Now we have a problem.

I’m sure there’s even more unintelligent decisions we haven’t seen yet or they can’t 100% prove, but hoo boy Tuesday is gonna be wild :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Good thing Trump never got into War Thunder or World of Tanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The evidence they say they have is so obviously incriminating that this is basically going to be a "does the rule of law still exist" roll check. If I was his attorney I'd be trying to get him to try to plea bargain

https://twitter.com/JeremiahDJohns/status/1667234991346950159

drat shouldn't have run so hard on, specifically, the retention of classified government documents.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Haha they have evidence that the classified information was falling out of boxes and getting photographed on the floor by random employees

"Oh no oh no"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

USCE Summer - Yeah. [Laughter.] Now we have a problem.

I’m sure there’s even more unintelligent decisions we haven’t seen yet or they can’t 100% prove, but hoo boy Tuesday is gonna be wild :stare:

I feel like the obvious defense is to claim that Trump is such a pathological liar that clearly he wasn't telling the truth about the documents either.

Fortunately there's a mountain of other evidence besides him just making GBS threads out his mouth.

zoux posted:

The evidence they say they have is so obviously incriminating that this is basically going to be a "does the rule of law still exist" roll check. If I was his attorney I'd be trying to get him to try to plea bargain

https://twitter.com/JeremiahDJohns/status/1667234991346950159

drat shouldn't have run so hard on, specifically, the retention of classified government documents.

Or being the most transparent administration in history :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like the obvious defense is to claim that Trump is such a pathological liar that clearly he wasn't telling the truth about the documents either.

Fortunately there's a mountain of other evidence besides him just making GBS threads out his mouth.

Or being the most transparent administration in history :v:

I'm sure the foreign intelligence services think so.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1667226470870024193

Lmao at all those oaths of fidelity to Trump all those GOP bootlicks put out when the indictment came down

Look this is what we had to do before we could read smartphones on the can

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Given how similar their cases and personalities are, could Trump and Jack Teixeira ask to be handled together to save lawyer costs?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Lmao at all those oaths of fidelity to Trump all those GOP bootlicks put out when the indictment came down

Ordinarily I'd like to think at least one Republican congressperson that voted "not guilty" on the second impeachment would feel really stupid right about now and wish they had voted guilty instead, and been able to sever themselves from the Cult of 45 when the poo poo inevitably hit the fan.

But I know the modern Republican party is full of idiots with no capacity for regret or self-reflection, and a belief in their own invincibility.

fake edit: :laffo:

https://twitter.com/hopperdropper1/status/1667231946940772352

USCE Spring: Beautiful Mind Paper Boxes

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
We'll see what happens, but there's a certain poetic justice to Trump getting pinched for this after he rode Hillary's email server to the presidency in the first place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

If I was his attorney I'd be trying to get him to try to plea bargain

If I were his attorney I'd have left the country already. Hopefully after being paid in advance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I were his attorney I'd have left the country already. Hopefully after being paid in advance.

lol, lmao

too bad that Rudy's license was suspended

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pthighs posted:

We'll see what happens, but there's a certain poetic justice to Trump getting pinched for this after he rode Hillary's email server to the presidency in the first place.

I’ll just say this would be by far his most impressive feat of wriggling yet

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If they have the evidence as presented it would take a miracle blatant show of corruption for him to wiggle 100% free of this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
we should reinstate rudy's license to practice law for old time's sake

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yawgmoft posted:

If they have the evidence as presented it would take a miracle blatant show of corruption for him to wiggle 100% free of this.

The case is for now being overseen by Aileen Cannon, the same judge who almost hosed the original document investigation and did such an egregious and lovely job of it she got smacked down by a bunch of fellow Trump appointees, so there is actually a decent chance of this

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently, two of Trump's top attorneys - ones who were in the meeting with the DoJ on Monday abruptly resigned as soon as the indictments dropped.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I am a lawyer, and yup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"And on the way to showing you these documents, by the way, I was aforethinking malice. Me, Donald J Trump, the man who is now speaking!"

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

USCE Spring: Beautiful Mind Paper Boxes
Done, but don't be surprised if the lifetime of thread titles in the near future is measured in hours/days rather than the usual weeks/months. We've already got a bunch of solid choices, and I'm pretty sure we're going to get more and more as this unfolds.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 9, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
We need a code upgrade that you can enter multiple titles for a thread, and each time you visit, it shows you one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's amazing how explicitly he was interested in doing literally anything other than just handing over the classified stuff. like there really was just one simple trick to make this all go away, but no lets just hide the documents instead, what could go wrong

also you can understand even more why lawyers are running for the hills when it now is clear that part of representing trump is that he's almost certainly going to try to get you to do some incredibly illegal stuff for him