Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not going to find him guilty of big crimes and then say "well he's 76 years old and eats Big Macs for every meal, so we're not going to actually sentence him to anything".

For a point of comparison, Bernie Madoff was 71 years old when he was sentenced to 150 years in prison. Even when he developed terminal kidney disease at age 82, he was denied compassionate release and died in a prison hospital just over a year later.

This is definitely cart-before-horse, but would Trump go to ADX Florence if convicted, given how high-profile a former President is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Just taking a poo poo, reading about Iran's military capabilities.

This case so far appears to be path of least resistance, i.e. Trump was too loving stupid to just give the documents back but otherwise didn't have a nefarious purpose in mind.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Name Change posted:

This case so far appears to be path of least resistance, i.e. Trump was too loving stupid to just give the documents back but otherwise didn't have a nefarious purpose in mind.

Yeah agreed. It seems like he just really likes having them and got off on showing people secret poo poo.

But who cares. This is mycrimes.txt taken to a whole new level. Thread title says it all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ArmyGroup303 posted:

This is definitely cart-before-horse, but would Trump go to ADX Florence if convicted, given how high-profile a former President is?

Hey, let's not look to far ahead

where would he be held if the judge denies bond

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He wasn't charged with it, but he absolutely tried to sell secrets on Ukraine to the Russians prior to the invasion, didn't he.

Burn.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How do you even begin to build a defense strategy for this lol.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cr0y posted:

Hence why they felt comfortable charging an ex-president for federal crimes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cr0y posted:

pray for a meteor

gregday
May 23, 2003

cr0y posted:

By resigning as his attorney and noping the gently caress out as soon as you read the indictment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cr0y posted:

The only thing I can think of is to try to play up the fact that he probably wasn't doing it to corruptly steal it to sell to foreign nations or whatever, he's just really, really loving stupid and just wanted to have them to show people

I mean, not a good defense, but, like, lol

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cr0y posted:

Be smug that your judge is a MAGA cultist?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Lemming posted:

The only thing I can think of is to try to play up the fact that he probably wasn't doing it to corruptly steal it to sell to foreign nations or whatever, he's just really, really loving stupid and just wanted to have them to show people

I think as far as culpability goes, the reason he did it doesn't matter as long as he definitely, willfully intended to do it and then obstructed about it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lemming posted:

there's an entire page of quotes of trump explaining how vitally important it is that everyone follows classification procedures to the letter of the law for the sake of national interest and for the sake of the people putting their lives on the line to get the info

not hyperbole by the way, literally a full page of the document is that

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
And he keeps repeating that he could take anything he wants, even today, so that helps the case.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's an entire page of quotes of trump explaining how vitally important it is that everyone follows classification procedures to the letter of the law for the sake of national interest and for the sake of the people putting their lives on the line to get the info

Lemming posted:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I was talking to my Mom about that. I feel like we are in such unprecedented territory that who the gently caress even knows.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah lol, tbf my answer was 'meteor'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ynglaur posted:

Holy poo poo. I can only imagine the amount of scrambling done in a bunch of federal agencies these past several months once they realized the scope of this breach.

I know a guy who works in nonproliferation doing things he often can't talk about and my God to be a fly on his bathroom wall when he learns about trump's bathroom walls being boxes of documents

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The only actual legal defense he has that I can think of would be a Hail Mary pass at incompetence. Have him evaluated by an expert and get a finding of absolute incompetence to stand trial based on dementia and narcissistic delusions.

If you're a lawyer and suggest that to a narcissist you get fired tho

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Jack Smith should be played by Coach Beard from Ted Lasso in the movie

https://youtu.be/Y_mHYIx3wnc

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cr0y posted:

Probably have to pin your hopes on jury nullification. Convince them that its "unfair" because everyone does it, and hope that at least one jurist hangs the jury.

Like, I like to peruse lawyers on social media because they'll typically explain why a "slam dunk case" is not slam dunk, which tempers my expectations. But so far all those lawyers are like "LOL this is a slam dunk case".. and they never say that.

Greg Doucette, for example, basically slid past discussing the merits and is talking about the chances of the DoJ being blocked by Cannon or getting a MAGA person on the jury. I find he typically does not do that for literally any other case.

ryde fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 9, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ryde posted:

Probably have to pin your hopes on jury nullification. Convince them that its "unfair" because everyone does it, and hope that at least one jurist hangs the jury.

Yeah, the actual most likely path for this case is a series of hung juries until he dies of old age or gets re-elected and can pardon himself, because you just need one CHUD per jury each time.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Was it really necessary to wait 4 days to have Trump appear for his arraignment? I hope the FBI is keeping real close tabs on the proud boys and whatever other chud groups because they have time to prepare for violence at the courthouse now. It doesn't help that it's going to be in the middle of chudlandia.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whydirt posted:

Jack Smith should be played by Coach Beard from Ted Lasso in the movie

https://youtu.be/Y_mHYIx3wnc
It'll be really interesting to see the Trump cinematic canon 30 years from now. There are so many god drat movies you could make from the last eight years. Like Jan 6 by itself could easily be a movie (and I'm sure will - Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg?)

We got three pretty good Nixon movies - Frost/Nixon, Nixon, and All the President's Men. Am I missing any? Then Oliver Stone (who did Nixon) did a W movie and it was okay. Too soon.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Was it really necessary to wait 4 days to have Trump appear for his arraignment? I hope the FBI is keeping real close tabs on the proud boys and whatever other chud groups because they have time to prepare for violence at the courthouse now. It doesn't help that it's going to be in the middle of chudlandia.

I was under the impression they weren't going to announce it so soon but trump just posted it

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

gregday posted:

The list of documents he’s being charged with.

Jesus Christ. Those TS ones are... very bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

It'll be really interesting to see the Trump cinematic canon 30 years from now. There are so many god drat movies you could make from the last eight years. Like Jan 6 by itself could easily be a movie (and I'm sure will - Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg?)

We got three pretty good Nixon movies - Frost/Nixon, Nixon, and All the President's Men. Am I missing any? Then Oliver Stone (who did Nixon) did a W movie and it was okay. Too soon.

A mini-series I think, 60-90 minute episodes. You could have one just called the Four Seasons

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Like I said, when the facts come out we will always learn that we couldn't even have imagined how loving STUPID Trump, his crimes, and his fellow criminals are.

All of them.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Mandatory minima: not applicable. :downsgun:

loving espionage doesn't have minimum imprisonment? But hey, we just put traitors all over the news these days, so what should I expect.

ps Derp question but sentencing is Per Count, right? So 1--31 are 10yr maximum each, so 310yr max?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 9, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Presto posted:

Jesus Christ. Those TS ones are... very bad.

Note that some of the handling codes are redacted. They have handling codes unredacted which people on Twitter are replying to queries with, "I'm not going to discuss that handling code but it is very sensitive." What the gently caress kind of handling codes are so sensitive the label itself gets redacted?

Edit: Rhetorical question, of course.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Mandatory minima: not applicable. :downsgun:

loving espionage doesn't have minimum imprisonment? But hey, we just put traitors all over the news these days, so what should I expect.

ps Derp question but sentencing is Per Count, right? So 1--31 are 10yr maximum each, so 310yr max?

I think mandatory minimums are in general a bad thing and do more harm than good so it's good that there aren't any.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ynglaur posted:

Note that some of the handling codes are redacted. They have handling codes unredacted which people on Twitter are replying to queries with, "I'm not going to discuss that handling code but it is very sensitive." What the gently caress kind of handling codes are so sensitive the label itself gets redacted?[/i]
Presumably there are spies who are familiar enough with the classification system that seeing the whole code would give them a relatively specific idea of what kind of information Trump had left sitting out there.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Yeah some of those docs are so secret they can't even tell us how secret.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think mandatory minimums are in general a bad thing and do more harm than good so it's good that there aren't any.

Yeah, but it really shows how stupid the justice system is, if loving espionage on the highest possible level is less severe then owning some drugs.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/lorieliebig/status/1667248416538218662?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wow. I knew we were in the stupidest timeline but come on. This world is a satire by some really messed up author.
Come on you weird hack make Kid Rock testify in court to imprison a former president. I dare you!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Still don't think trump sees the inside of a jail, but this is the best run they've taken at that so far.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just wait for the insurrection trial

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wow. I knew we were in the stupidest timeline but come on. This world is a satire by some really messed up author.
Come on you weird hack make Kid Rock testify in court to imprison a former president. I dare you!

That Homestuck joke about ICP being joint presidents is sounding like a better timeline day by day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
oh my god he's like that discord leaker just showing poo poo to everyone for clout