Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Cosmetic armor being tied to classes is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it is hopefully this. I understanding wanting to curb tail players getting to 100 in three days, because that is bad, no one is questioning that. But the current normal play method is about 100 - 150 hours of grinding. That doesn't really line up with the kind of ARPG that Diablo IV is trying to be.

Game is good, continuing to play non-stop.
I’m hearing the family and friends of the devs (who quit just after the game was released in protest btw) who were QA testing the game said that the XP rate was in line with the type of ARPG that Diablo IV is trying to be.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

American McGay posted:

I’m hearing the family and friends of the devs (who quit just after the game was released in protest btw) who were QA testing the game said that the XP rate was in line with the type of ARPG that Diablo IV is trying to be.

In protest of craming and not XP levels, no doubt.

Exp seems to be in line with D2 levels at normal / average playing levels.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

isk posted:

Could I trouble someone for Cliffs notes on this?

You know how Blizzard had a total poo poo endgame in D3, then eventually patched it in? Did you read one of the many posts in this thread saying how D4 would be the same thing? Turns out D4 is exactly that, just better than expected.

Go have fun and by the time you've hit "I'm a streamer how am I supposed to play this 24/7?!?" levels of content exhaustion more and better will be patched in.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Got permabear and shockwave right after each other and can confirm it's pretty ridiculous.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Kripp makes a decent point that it takes so long to level that most players will only be at level 60-70 when S1 hits in July and then immediately have to start over and do everything again without ever really getting to the end game.

It's a good video and I think a lot of the issues he puts out are true, but it's still fun and presumably they will fix some of the stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

The lack of a completed quest log is a real bummer lol, figuring what I still have left to do is so annoying!!

Under challenges, the quest tab should be somewhat helpful here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just ran into a bug where I, a skip campaign char, teamed up briefly with someone who was going through the campaign, and I lost all the waypoints except for the ones in the first act area I had already used, even after disbanding the group. So I couldn't wp to the tree of whispers. Logging out and back in fixed it but still annoying

As an aside, I did manage to finish the story with my double hydra sorc at level 46 but honestly I'm enjoying this melee rogue I'm playing a lot more

site fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 9, 2023

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same ( (Use all 4 defensive skills + 1 damage skill and just spam-- Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?
Yeah I was playing frost shard and could solo nightmare dungeons with level 75 mobs at level 60 without any 725+ gear (power breakpoint). You don't want cdr really, or even mana regen. you want lucky hit (paragon board legendary node for vuln, gear rolls etc) and the avalanche aspect. You want the frost shard skill that makes enemies vulnerable. You want +damage to vuln. Basically you already delete 97% of elite packs by just hitting frost nova so you want to min-max single target damage and you want long avalanche + mana procs chains. I will run out of mana once or twice on a boss due to unlucky procs but that's it, and I will not have frost nova up for every pack but I do enough single target that that's fine.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Kripp put out a pretty good video about where Diablo IV is at so far a week into release, and some of the cracks that are starting to show as more people get deeper into end game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVfq6PBagJE

Kripp's right about everything including that the game is still a lot of fun regardless of the blemishes. The lack of stash search is actually insane given what the endgame consists of.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah this game seems pretty good for people who aren't killing themselves in their 40s trying to pretend they're cracking open D2 in their 20s. Kudos to expert players for bringing issues to light and if Blizzard has any sense they'll support the hell outta this clear success but the sky is falling tone is pretty played out for sensible players. Or maybe gaming culture is just at this stupid point now where if a game isn't an all-consuming perfect void of escapism it has failed somewhere?

I've not even seen the end game yet so maybe egg will be on my face with this mere triple digit hours ARPG. I just cleared Act 5 in a week of "dedicated" playing and

Act 5: Donan is the best character! There are some more odd editing choices, like Taila practically teleporting into being a new character here, but ah well. Act 4 made it clear last second edits and hard cuts were made and the act is excellent, though as much as I like fighting Elias again he's not changed much and I thought Duriel was due. But hey, if the worst I can say about the campaign is "some pacing issues" then we're a mile ahead of D3 and honestly a bit ahead of D2. Act 2 was always a bit too long by the time you got to the end of it and following it up with Act 3 quickly became a slog, to say nothing of the non-main quest writing basically not existing.

Also loads of cool lore and teasing for the inevitable return of the Witch Doctor.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is there supposed to be a progression of difficulty within the different world tiers? My 58 druid is in world tier 3 (nightmare?) and I'm murdering everything and I'm never in danger of dying or having to care about budgeting my potions. Helltides, dungeons, world tree offerings etc all feel easy as poo poo but the capstone for world tier 4 is a little bit beyond my character's capability.

I remember D3 had like 10 layers of gradation of difficulty called torments or something where you could find your character's sweet spot. Does D4 not have anything like that?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

site posted:

Just ran into a bug where I, a skip campaign char, teamed up briefly with someone who was going through the campaign, and I lost all the waypoints except for the ones in the first act area I had already used, even after disbanding the group. So I couldn't wp to the tree of whispers. Logging out and back in fixed it but still not great

I'm not sure this is a bug. The game seems to "sync" your world state to the leader of the group you've joined, so if there are waypoints that don't exist until you clear a story quest for example, they won't exist for you. This will persist even after you leave the group and there is a button labeled something like "return to own world state" at the top of the quest log/map screen to revert things back to normal.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it is hopefully this. I understanding wanting to curb tail players getting to 100 in three days, because that is bad, no one is questioning that. But the current normal play method is about 100 - 150 hours of grinding. That doesn't really line up with the kind of ARPG that Diablo IV is trying to be.

Game is good, continuing to play non-stop.

i dont think there is anything normal about that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So is it gonna be like a Destiny style seasons where it's got new quests and activities and stuff?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Astryl posted:

In protest of craming and not XP levels, no doubt.

Exp seems to be in line with D2 levels at normal / average playing levels.

i completely skipped diablo the third so it looks like this is a straight progression for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Got permabear and shockwave right after each other and can confirm it's pretty ridiculous.

Yeah it’s a good build

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is there a solution for the freezes on opening menus and dialogue boxes on PC? It's a bit annoying!

Install the ultra textures but don't use them

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I’d take Kripp’s endgame analysis seriously, and I hope the devs do too. IIRC after beating pre-nerf D3 HC inferno, he did a series of videos about its end game problems and effectively proposed the paragon system that wound up being implemented to keep endgame progression going.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is kind of beta 2. The game seems designed with season in mind and we don’t have them

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i feel OP as gently caress in wt3 at 60 i dunno how im supposed to hang around another 10 levels

just tapping frost nova is setting off a chain reaction that will screen clear

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Herstory Begins Now posted:

resistance affixes have about 1/100th the magnitude of effect you'd think that they should have. you could increase their magnitude 10x and they'd still be the weakest affix in the game. presumably they're broken/something isn't working right.

tldr: 55 res gets you like 2% more of a specific elemental damage reduction

Oh I was summarizing the wrong video,

summary was of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkjtL33hNQ

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If your build is optimized then you should be able to tackle the Nightmare capstone dungeon at 60 or shortly after. 70 isn’t required. On torment a lot of the characters I’m seeing are mid 60s, and the lower limit ilvl for ancestral gear is 60.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hashy posted:

Install the ultra textures but don't use them

Ooh right thanks for reminding me about this.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, absent the seasonal content and battle pass there isn't a ton of incentive to do some wild grind up to level 100. I'm kind of tapping out of what I want from my necro now that I'm around 70, or so. I mean I still have chase items I could go for if I wanted to try for the bone spirit build that requires a bunch of uniques, but I feel like I've climbed the mountains I want to climb for the launch period.

I'm more than content to play around with alts until seasons start and there's some more direction/immediate reward behind the loop in WT4 and beyond.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Caidin posted:

So is it gonna be like a Destiny style seasons where it's got new quests and activities and stuff?

We don’t know yet, but the whole thing is designed as a live service game from the ground up. So, presumably there will be big seasonal content plans.

There’s gonna be a sneak peek dev stream on season 1 in the next couple of weeks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s basically Poe standard with no old seasonal content

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

It’s basically Poe standard with no old seasonal content

i dont know what that is

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope its like apex

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it's basically fortnite meets heroes of might and magic

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Please god let people start S1 with the map explored and all renown rewards if they did all that on a previous character.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
What’s the second best Druid leveling build after Tornado? I’m done casting tornado while holding the stick in one direction and having it go in the complete opposite. That is infuriating and incredibly stupid skill design.

Or is there a way to better control them without relying on aspect RNG?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pulverize

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gone Fashing posted:

it's basically fortnite meets heroes of might and magic

That explains nothing and promises far too much, try again.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

Is there supposed to be a progression of difficulty within the different world tiers? My 58 druid is in world tier 3 (nightmare?) and I'm murdering everything and I'm never in danger of dying or having to care about budgeting my potions. Helltides, dungeons, world tree offerings etc all feel easy as poo poo but the capstone for world tier 4 is a little bit beyond my character's capability.

I remember D3 had like 10 layers of gradation of difficulty called torments or something where you could find your character's sweet spot. Does D4 not have anything like that?

Nightmare dungeons are the new greater rifts. They come in tiers that work the same way torment levels used to (ie they raise the level of the enemies in that rift/dungeon) and at the end you get to upgrade your glyph (D4s version of legendary gems).

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Nightmare dungeons are the new greater rifts. They come in tiers that work the same way torment levels used to (ie they raise the level of the enemies in that rift/dungeon) and at the end you get to upgrade your glyph (D4s version of legendary gems).

How can you tell which tier a nightmare dungeon is? I feel like I haven't noticed much of a difference between any of the dungeons in nightmare but maybe I haven't been doing the right ones

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ROFLburger posted:

How can you tell which tier a nightmare dungeon is? I feel like I haven't noticed much of a difference between any of the dungeons in nightmare but maybe I haven't been doing the right ones

The sigil says what level it is before you use it to open the dungeon

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Ihmemies posted:

Do you run ultra textures?

Just finished downloading them and it's playing nice for now. What a weird fix.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah you have to obtain a nightmare sigil, which start dropping once you're in world tier 3. Each sigil tells you what dungeon it's for, what tier it is, and what modifiers it will apply. The sigils are items that live in the consumables section of the inventory, with your elixirs. When you use one, it'll convert the specified dungeon to a nightmare dungeon and then you can go there and run it.

After you run a tier 3 nightmare dungeon for the first time, you'll get sent to see the Enchanter, who gains the ability to shard unwanted sigils into dust that can then be used to craft new sigils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

oh poo poo, nice