Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
any advice on getting a six-month-old to sleep through the night? his big brother slept through with very little sleep training but we're at a loss for what to do now, kid is still waking up every 2-4 hours and I am deaddd. we did sleep training for putting him down initially but we're reluctant to let him cry it out in the middle of the night because he's sharing a room with his brother. I am nursing him every time and I know he doesn't need the nutrition overnight, it's more for comfort, so we are going to try a pacifier but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

boquiabierta posted:

any advice on getting a six-month-old to sleep through the night? his big brother slept through with very little sleep training but we're at a loss for what to do now, kid is still waking up every 2-4 hours and I am deaddd. we did sleep training for putting him down initially but we're reluctant to let him cry it out in the middle of the night because he's sharing a room with his brother. I am nursing him every time and I know he doesn't need the nutrition overnight, it's more for comfort, so we are going to try a pacifier but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Some ideas-

Try to feed oatmeal or formula before bed to make sure kid isn’t waking up hungry, I think both of those are longer lasting than breast milk. Start cutting down on nursing sessions at night, if you’re at 3 sessions 9 bedtime hours then gradually reduce that. Turn one session into just comforting and rocking and singing, then eventually more.

Pacifier is a good idea, we used that too.

Could split up baby/bro temporarily and do Ferber method or cry it out? I liked Ferber more because cry it out is pretty extreme.

We used Ferber at six months and got the kiddo sleeping through the night all the way until he was 2 and a half.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My daughter is turning 5 in August and just started doing a thing where she wakes in the middle of the night and then reads or plays way too long until she falls asleep again, rendering her a ticking tantrum bomb the next day. Or she just gets up before 5am, same deal. We've told her repeatedly that we'd help her get back to sleep if she woke us, but she never does.

It never ends.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Sweet Gulch posted:

My daughter is turning 5 in August and just started doing a thing where she wakes in the middle of the night and then reads or plays way too long until she falls asleep again, rendering her a ticking tantrum bomb the next day. Or she just gets up before 5am, same deal. We've told her repeatedly that we'd help her get back to sleep if she woke us, but she never does.

It never ends.

Mine just turned 4 a month ago and we are having this same thing, usually in the mornings but sometimes in the middle of the night. It's clear she needs the sleep and isn't like, getting too much. SIGH

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Page or two late but:

Sleep is a gently caress.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Tonight my daughter (about 33 months) wanted to play a game sort of inspired by “there’s a worket in my pocket” where we said a nonsense word and she provided the rhyming location (there’s a zard in the yard, etc). For about half an hour, from dinner to bath until it was time to read books at bedtime

Toddlers: really straddling that line between cute and annoying

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

boquiabierta posted:

I'd put baby in your own room, in a bassinet, crib or similar, if it would fit. One parent sleeps in there, one on the couch. Make sure one of you gets a good night's rest.

Many babies will soothe themselves if they notice a parent is in the room with them.

You can sleep train later, it's never too late for that. Or don't, at all, like us.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 8, 2023

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

dismas posted:

It‘s time for a new title anyway

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My three year old has peed in the potty 6 times over the past twenty four hours. Woo hoo!

Now, where's the poop...

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

External Organs posted:

Now, where's the poop...
Thread title

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
I feel like I post a lot of negative kid sleep stuff so here’s a funny story-

Every time I give the kiddo a bath and wrap him up in a towel, I say “now you’re a burrito!” When he got old enough to talk back he always says “no, I’m a cheeseburger!”

This morning he woke up all bright eyed and giggly and I said “you look like a cheeseburger today” and he said “No, I’m a burrito!”

Cracked me up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

D'awww

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My 3yo gets to choose a snack for the drive home from daycare like gummies, crackers, etc. and after I buckle him in his carseat I open the package and take 1, saying it's a dad tax. Just a couple days ago, while out to eat, I take my other kid to the bathroom and return. Later that evening after the kids are asleep my wife informs me that, while I was away from the table at the restaurant, my 3yo looked my wife dead in the eyes, said dad tax and took 2 toddler fistfuls of fries from my plate.

well played kid.....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Big milestone today, biked daughter to daycare. It's about a 150' drop over 1.5 miles so easy to get her there, and then I can take my time struggle bussing back up the hill going home. With covid + WFH as a computer toucher + realities of parenting I've started getting a little plump and I'm not a gym person

Started off biking with the trailer empty around the neighborhood to validate the mechanics of doing something like that (mostly the same) and then a couple neighborhood rides near the house. I was surprised, daughter loves "bike ride" time. Hopefully keep this going through the fall

Trailer is like $350 new, got it off craigslist for $50. Bike is also from craigslist $250. Haven't had to do anything to it besides put air in the tires

boquiabierta posted:

, it's more for comfort, so we are going to try a pacifier but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Omg yes

Not all kids like pacifiers, but ours slept like the dead until it fell out of her mouth. If they're breastfeeding for comfort the pacifier has a good chance of working

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've been wanting to get something to bike my kid around but I'm sort of unnerved by my kid trailing behind my bike, out of easy sight. Does it feel fairly natural?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you have to take a super wide turning circle and you feel the weight going uphill, but you get used to it pretty quick. I prefer the trailer more than the kiddo seat that attaches behind you

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

dismas posted:

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

I've been wanting to get something to bike my kid around but I'm sort of unnerved by my kid trailing behind my bike, out of easy sight. Does it feel fairly natural?

It's more money, but this is why I'm looking at long john cargo bikes. Everything in front means more things in sight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In my 20s and briefly in my 30s I commuted every day by bike, did my own bike maintenance and even some modifications so my comfort level with bikes is pretty high, so calibrate based on that

Yeah it took me about 5 miles of pedaling around the neighborhood in and out of cul-de-sacs to feel comfortable with it. I did this over three days because your brain (or mine anyways, drat near 40 now) needs some time to adjust to new experiences and build rudimentary muscle memory while sleeping. I practiced riding it (empty) on the sidewalk too to make sure the wheels didn't go off the pavement. After experimenting with all this I put my daughter in and we went for a 5 minute first ride and it was all fine

Now it feels perfectly fine. Supposedly it limits your turning radius but other than a handful of times in my life I've never turned that sharply on a bike so it's not a problem

I'm gonna order a $6 rear view mirror though, twisting around to look directly behind me at the ground is kind of difficult, also like to check her expression to make sure she's ok (usually she's yelling "faster! faster!" So I think she likes it so far)

And yeah there's like, pretty much endless ways to strap your kid to a traditional bike, all with their own pros and cons. I like the trailer 1) because it's a very traditional, well thought out method, and car drivers clearly understand what's going on and 2) (I tested this this morning before I even got on the bike) if the bike falls over, the trailer stays upright

The trailer also has an "integrated roll bar" and "side impact protection" which is a fancy way of saying it's got a full metal tube frame

The of my closest friends all suggested I upgrade to something like this (which start at about $1000 on Craiglist, all the way up to the price of a used car for an electric model)

I'll probably upgrade to one of these eventually but we just bought a house and are totally tapped out, I had to fight for the $300 for this craiglist setup on the basis it was cheaper than a gym membership

They make front "dutch" models too

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I've got a Yepp Next Maxi seat for my bike - I drop off my daughter at daycare & then bike to work, so I didn't want to drag a trailer around empty for 3/4 of my commute. Going home is all uphill so usually my husband picks her up and we all get home around the same time. My daughter also loves biking - one week she pretended that a dinosaur was chasing us :3: Being able to easily chat is another nice thing about the seat.

She's done daycare for good at the end of the month, so not too many mornings left together :(

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023
He's outgrown it now, but I really liked the Yepp Mini while we were able to use it -- kid up front between my arms where I could see him a bit and he could see the world in front of us. The only downside was that he wanted me to ride more often than I had energy for.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey, bike talk, nice!

At 4 1/2, we got our daughter her first pushbike. She’s been using one of those balancing bikes (without pedals) for a year or so. She took to ithe pushbike quite well but of course it’s impossible to go very far with her. She can’t be in traffic yet, really.

So our latest purchase was this:

https://www.followmetandem.co.uk/

Very nicely put together. As long as the kid stays on her bike, it feels very secure.

About a tenth of the price of a cargo bike. When she upgraded from her 12” bike, this will accommodate 16”, 20” at least.

Even with such a tiny kid, it really helps when she pedals. So much better cornering than a trailer, too, because you can lean naturally into turns.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hadlock posted:

They make front "dutch" models too

Oh I've always wanted one of these!

My mom had the seat in the back of the bike when I was little and she said I'd always bend over so far to watch the wheels spinning that she'd have trouble keeping balanced. I'd be like a metronome pendulum back there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I've got a buddy with a front load cargo bike and I've got a strap on toddler seat that should be good through next year because I also felt weird about the trailer. She's almost 3 and the weight limit is 45 lbs, not sure what I'll do after she grows out of it

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I am a big proponent of the balance first approach:
https://www.twowheelingtots.com/how-to-teach-a-child-to-ride-a-bike/

You don't need to buy balance bikes, just a small bike you can take the pedals off of.

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023
Balance bikes (or regular bikes with the pedals removed) are great.

We got one for my son when he was very small and he quickly grew to zoom around the house and neighborhood on it. He's riding a pedal bike now and there was still a small challenge with the transition but overall it was really easy.

Most of his friends are on training wheels still and he rips through our neighborhood and goes for ~2 mile rides with me to a local park.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

killer crane posted:

I am a big proponent of the balance first approach:
https://www.twowheelingtots.com/how-to-teach-a-child-to-ride-a-bike/

You don't need to buy balance bikes, just a small bike you can take the pedals off of.

Very agreed.

But point in favor of balance bikes: they're so cheap new, and at least where I'm at, they're all over the local classifieds used for next to nothing. They weigh a lot less, too, so easier to handle for a 2-to-3-year-old.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
We bought a Radio Flyer Glide & Go when our son turned two. So he's used it the last two summers, probably more last summer. I don't recall even really explicitly having to teach him how to glide on it, he just eventually figured it out on his own.

When our son turned four we bought him a small (but full) bike with training wheels. Even though it's small, it's probably just a little too big for him and while he gets the idea of pedaling in concept I don't think he has the length strength to do it just yet. He asked to use his balance bike again this summer and well, sure, why not. He's fast on it now, in a surprising way.

I figure he'll grow into the larger bike when he's ready. I'm not sure if having him pedal from a stand-still is a mistake on our part, and if it's just better to take the training wheels off now so he only starts pedaling at speed.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I got a Shotgun 2.0 bike seat for my 3yo as the trailer seemed a bit scary for our streets. I love having her in front of me, and we can go faster than we could with a trailer.

That said, the seat is a PoS. The design did not accommodate my bike, so I had to fabricate longer side rails to fit and be safe. There are many crappy design decision, and some decent ones, admittedly, but def would not recommend. Especially if you expect a usable product.

e: in action

gbut fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 9, 2023

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My daughter is fully potty trained now and can use a public restroom, now we are trying to potty train our little ASD non verbal guy. I think we may need to try the picture exchange communication thing again (he had zero interest in using them previously) since that is the suggestion we have gotten from people. Just tough, he’s only 3 and a half but he’s built like a brick and if he doesn’t want to sit on the potty you absolutely cannot make him. Anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to work out again to push off the day that my child can beat me in 1 on 1 physical combat.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

DamnitGannet posted:

My daughter is fully potty trained now and can use a public restroom, now we are trying to potty train our little ASD non verbal guy. I think we may need to try the picture exchange communication thing again (he had zero interest in using them previously) since that is the suggestion we have gotten from people. Just tough, he’s only 3 and a half but he’s built like a brick and if he doesn’t want to sit on the potty you absolutely cannot make him. Anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

Similar boat but slightly younger. We've been constantly talking about it. Like when he needs to go, when one of us are going, random times throughout the day. We listen to songs about it.

He still isn't using the toilet, but he'll sit on it for a bit and his awareness of his diaper has increased a lot. He requests diaper changes shortly after he shits now, etc. It all seems to be moving slowly in the right direction.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I have one of these and love it so much. It's basically a second car. We've put 1200km on it since November, and most of that is just doing the school and daycare runs. Our kids are 2 and 6 and love it. We did look at hiring one but found that after a year of hire we would have paid more than the outright price, so it made sense to bite the bullet.

Pro tip: get a Bluetooth speaker that straps onto the bike and let your kids be DJ monsters on the commute. This also has a functional benefit, the bike is quiet as hell (it's electric) so people need to hear you coming

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I am having some massive “I am not the actual parent” anxiety.

My partner wants to take his 4.5 yo son to see the new Spiderverse movie as his first movie theater experience. I am going trying to trust that everything will be fine and kiddo won’t melt down in a theater full of people.

I’m also getting nervous that pre-K starts in august and kiddo is still not shifting towards a normal sleep schedule. It’s tough because his dad is still on second shift so trying to actually get enough sleep himself. Plus kiddo is at his mom’s on weeknights while my partner is working. Partner has been working on trying to find something that’s normal working hours, but time is winding down.

I’m trying to clamp down my maternal instinct because I know if I start throwing all the things that I would do at him, it will probably just add to the stress. The fact is that the family/custody dynamics are challenging and I should probably just try to be as supportive as I can be?

I know my partner is a good dad and is thinking about all this stuff, but my anxiety is probably elevated because I just buried my own dad (not literally) and had to go massively into make sure things happen mode 😅

I just want to get past this time of transition and figure out what our new normal is going to be.

Edit: also at what age do you generally introduce your kids to Grindcore?

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 9, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
My 2.5 year old has insisted on removing her diaper because it shifted just slightly off her butt so clearly it needs to be replaced

She is disassembling the small toilet in the living room and attempting to wear the seat as a hat.

If she doesn't hold her one month old sister the way she wants, she lets out a scream that shatters all the windows

Her grandparents are an hour away

Is this what Krillin felt like when he was waiting for Goku to get back from King Kai's

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

CherryCola posted:

I am having some massive “I am not the actual parent” anxiety.
[...]
I’m trying to clamp down my maternal instinct because I know if I start throwing all the things that I would do at him, it will probably just add to the stress. The fact is that the family/custody dynamics are challenging and I should probably just try to be as supportive as I can be?

right there with you on this. both of my partner's kids are from previous relationships. the youngest (who is very 7) has a flurry of weird custody poo poo going on around her (and i hope she never sees/feels it). no expert here, but my experience thus far is to just be supportive of everybody and actively engage in asking "how can i help?"

are things funky enough that a sit-down with you, partner, and bio-mom is off the table? if you can become a unified front, awesome. if that's not an option/doesn't go well, just keep doing what you can and ask partner how you can help. and then take care of yourself in the process. you've got this!

CherryCola posted:

Edit: also at what age do you generally introduce your kids to Grindcore?

i'd start with something more tame like Meshuggah's Catch Thirtythree or ObZen (Bleed is a beautiful tune, after all) and then move into XXX Maniak. gotta ease 'em in first.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't imagine bouncing the kid between your house and the ex's house is doing the kid any favors. How long has the kid been living with you? Shouldn't take more than a week of bedtime at 8:30pm to get them back on the correct schedule

Ours has been having sleep issues the last two weeks because the days are so drat long, can't get her in bed before almost 9 right now

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Melatonin working wonders getting my youngest into bed before the sun goes down, particularly now when the sunset is 9pm.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

extravadanza posted:

Melatonin working wonders getting my youngest into bed before the sun goes down, particularly now when the sunset is 9pm.

Sorry I’m gonna ask you some questions about melatonin if you don’t mind. We are lucky if our kid is asleep before 10pm. We have wondered about using melatonin. He has to be up by 7:30am or so to go to daycare during the week but will happily sleep until 9am on the weekends if we let him. Would be nice to reset him to 9 or 8:30pm. Is that how melatonin is supposed to work? How long before the desired bedtime do you dose it? Do you just do one dose or for several days or weeks? What dose do you use? Does it help them sleep through the night at all without wakes ups or just falling asleep? From what I have read the dose is quite small like 0.25mg. We found some 0.5mg gummies at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Just be careful with melatonin and kids: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2804077

quote:

Quantity of Melatonin and CBD in Melatonin Gummies Sold in the US
Pieter A. Cohen, MD; Bharathi Avula, PhD; Yan-Hong Wang, PhD; et al Kumar Katragunta, PhD; Ikhlas Khan, PhD
JAMA. 2023;329(16):1401-1402. doi:10.1001/jama.2023.2296

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, melatonin was used by an estimated 1.3% of children in the US, most commonly for sleep, stress, and relaxation. Despite the lack of high-quality evidence to support melatonin’s efficacy for these indications in healthy children, use increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Calls for pediatric melatonin ingestions to US Poison Control Centers increased 530% from 2012 to 2021 and were associated with 27 795 emergency department and clinic visits, 4097 hospitalizations, 287 intensive care unit admissions, and 2 deaths.