Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
anyone taken street fighter 6 for a spin? the thing's doing the weirdest things to my cpu, it's probably some weird optimization or the drm - or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

kliras posted:

anyone taken street fighter 6 for a spin? the thing's doing the weirdest things to my cpu, it's probably some weird optimization or the drm - or both

Yeah. I haven't noticed anything weird aside from really low framerates in certain known buggy areas. For the record I have an R9 3900X. What specific things are you noticing?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Nalin posted:

Yeah. I haven't noticed anything weird aside from really low framerates in certain known buggy areas. For the record I have an R9 3900X. What specific things are you noticing?
mostly world tour which clearly has some performance holes, and the lobby being very irregular

i'm assuming the regular mode is fine, but it's a bit harder to troubleshoot it over a longer period of time, especially since the jumps appear to be from interstitial menus and not the battle hub fights themselves

ironic that the game itself doesn't have a benchmark system so i could try to adjust my settings more on the 1070/5800X3D

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’m kind of angry that most boards/BIOSes don’t feature ramping (anymore). In the past it was more common to be able to set a time constant to filter fan speed demands and respectively smooth out transients.

MSI still has this as a pretty standard feature, as "step up / down time".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’m kind of angry that most boards/BIOSes don’t feature ramping (anymore). In the past it was more common to be able to set a time constant to filter fan speed demands and respectively smooth out transients.

My gigabyte BIOS has this as well. The actual term for it is Hysteresis.

I have it disabled because I tied all my fan/pump speeds to my coolant temperature in my custom water cooler which takes 3-5 minutes to significantly move from changes in load anyway and provides basically perfect hysteresis naturally.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Try out FanControl, it's a really nice piece of software. You can set all kinds of curves with hysteresis and whatnot

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Try out FanControl, it's a really nice piece of software. You can set all kinds of curves with hysteresis and whatnot
Unfortunately it's also Yet Another Electron.
gently caress that, I'll live with the slightly-less-than-perfect curves I can make in the firmware.

Also, despite being on GitHub and using an opensource library, it's just there as a form of distribution of the compressed archive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It also works great, so maybe get over yourself? :sun:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Code? Running on my PC???

heh. I don't think so.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

MSI still has this as a pretty standard feature, as "step up / down time".

Asus has it, as well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kliras posted:

I am almost certain there is a tiny memory leak, was seeing some slowdown after playing world tour for about six hours.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

gently caress that, I'll live with the slightly-less-than-perfect curves I can make in the firmware.

Also, despite being on GitHub and using an opensource library, it's just there as a form of distribution of the compressed archive.

Then pay for Argus Monitor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

They’re an open source evangelist. You’re not going to get through to them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What's wrong with electron apps?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

They’re an open source evangelist. You’re not going to get through to them.

Then why are they playing Diablo 4? Running Windows? There's plenty of open source games out there! Nethack and Battle for Wesnoth come to mind!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

forest spirit posted:

They are typically fat as gently caress, using lots more resources than a program written using the native system GUI in C would use. It's basically the entire chrome renderer stapled to your code.

That being said, once you've set it up FanControl will spend most of the time minimized to the system tray so I don't think it's a terrible offender

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LRADIKAL posted:

This worked out pretty well for me.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

forest spirit posted:

https://twitter.com/peterpme/status/1665768675398373377

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

VostokProgram posted:

They are typically fat as gently caress, using lots more resources than a program written using the native system GUI in C would use. It's basically the entire chrome renderer stapled to your code.

That being said, once you've set it up FanControl will spend most of the time minimized to the system tray so I don't think it's a terrible offender

Staring at its usage in task manager FanControl sits at 34.7-8MB of RAM and oscillates between 0 and 0.1% CPU usage of my 7800x3D while minimized. Bringing it up jumps the usage to 0.7-0.9% and 111.7MB.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Then why are they playing Diablo 4? Running Windows? There's plenty of open source games out there! Nethack and Battle for Wesnoth come to mind!

I guarantee whatever DRM/anticheat/Warden derivative that's running inside Diablo 4 is more computationally and memory-hungry than an electron app whose UI renderer is absolutely going to be paged out or COW deduplicated by the memory manager until needed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

worrying about the footprint of small electron apps that solve your problems reminds me of the people that used to disable random services in XP trying to minmax their available memory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look, it’s the future. You want to send a single byte payload over LPC or write to an io port or MMIO address on your PC? Web browser. Want to adjust the AC in your car? Well, that’s a web browser running on an android VM that sends a message over an ip socket to the real can controller to write can messages to the fans. Want to turn on a light bulb in your house? the “smart light switch” hits 5 AWS services to tell your smart bulb to turn on.

Based solely on the yospos threads I know we both frequent this may be a serious answer for you:
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor
There’s some info here, there probably is support for whatever NCT chip is hanging off your motherboard’s LPC bus:
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor/issues/5

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VostokProgram posted:

To get really pedantic, which system GUI? Microsoft has hosed things up so much that there were many years where they were trying to introduce new, better ways to make Windows applications and failing, resulting in making a lot of GUI frameworks that they shortly abandoned. The oldest, worst of them seems to still get the most usage, WinForms. It's awful to work in and also not even DirectX accelerated so if you do complex things it can be janky too.

Microsoft hosed up WPF, which was supposed to be a GUI toolkit to develop both for Windows and Silverlight, which was supposed to beat flash and take over the internet. Then they hosed up WinRT, which was supposed to let you develop both for smash hit OS Windows 8 and Windows Phone at the same time, which was supposed to be super important because Windows Phone was supposed to get a big slice of the market. Next, they kept polishing that turd until it became UWP, which people didn't want to use because it's Windows 10 only and leaves behind people on Windows 7.

While all this is happening Windows is losing market share to Macs, Chromebooks and phones, but people are still wondering why everything is built on Electron using web tech? It's because Microsoft hosed up and native Windows development has become a rare skill because it just doesn't matter anymore. If FanControl was built with WinForms I'm sure people would be complaining about how ugly it looks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't really care that it's using GitHub as a distribution method, it's mostly just that some people get the impression it's opensource.

Doing any kind of a systems utility in Electron, though? Nah, gently caress that.

Ardryn posted:

Staring at its usage in task manager FanControl sits at 34.7-8MB of RAM and oscillates between 0 and 0.1% CPU usage of my 7800x3D while minimized. Bringing it up jumps the usage to 0.7-0.9% and 111.7MB.
Sure, except when there's a memory leak because they're using a vendored electron that's pinned to a specific version, which suddenly balloons to several GB.
That happened on the third day of me trying it out.

hobbesmaster posted:

Look, it’s the future. You want to send a single byte payload over LPC or write to an io port or MMIO address on your PC? Web browser. Want to adjust the AC in your car? Well, that’s a web browser running on an android VM that sends a message over an ip socket to the real can controller to write can messages to the fans. Want to turn on a light bulb in your house? the “smart light switch” hits 5 AWS services to tell your smart bulb to turn on.

Based solely on the yospos threads I know we both frequent this may be a serious answer for you:
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor
There’s some info here, there probably is support for whatever NCT chip is hanging off your motherboard’s LPC bus:
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor/issues/5
The commodification of compute doesn't excuse the excesses of Electron, nor make them acceptable for systems programming.

I'm aware of what libraries FanControl uses, I even mentioned them obliquely.

Twerk from Home posted:

To get really pedantic, which system GUI? Microsoft has hosed things up so much that there were many years where they were trying to introduce new, better ways to make Windows applications and failing, resulting in making a lot of GUI frameworks that they shortly abandoned. The oldest, worst of them seems to still get the most usage, WinForms. It's awful to work in and also not even DirectX accelerated so if you do complex things it can be janky too.

Microsoft hosed up WPF, which was supposed to be a GUI toolkit to develop both for Windows and Silverlight, which was supposed to beat flash and take over the internet. Then they hosed up WinRT, which was supposed to let you develop both for smash hit OS Windows 8 and Windows Phone at the same time, which was supposed to be super important because Windows Phone was supposed to get a big slice of the market. Next, they kept polishing that turd until it became UWP, which people didn't want to use because it's Windows 10 only and leaves behind people on Windows 7.

While all this is happening Windows is losing market share to Macs, Chromebooks and phones, but people are still wondering why everything is built on Electron using web tech? It's because Microsoft hosed up and native Windows development has become a rare skill because it just doesn't matter anymore. If FanControl was built with WinForms I'm sure people would be complaining about how ugly it looks.
They don't have to pick the best GUI toolkit, they just have to not pick Electron.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 10, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Core “complex”? Actually I find it quite shrimple

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't even know why people put up with Electron on the development side, and why it wasn't forked and has died yet. I've been looking into it to move my web app and its corresponding web service, I'm developing at work, onto it as a reaction to our IT department being a bunch of inept idiots, just to find out that it's behind a lot in a few important parts. For instance, ask me about ES Modules in Electron.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
How are the ES Modules in Electron?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1667515860758540298?t=6AD38_-okda0vc8DIk7deg&s=19

Oooohhhhhhh this might be good

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

How are the ES Modules in Electron?
Broken.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Stockpile of 5800X3D with a bad core or two?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Sure, except when there's a memory leak because they're using a vendored electron that's pinned to a specific version, which suddenly balloons to several GB.
That happened on the third day of me trying it out.

Never happened to me and I've been using it for months since I built the computer. :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Stockpile of 5800X3D with a bad core or two?

That’d be my guess if we’re just throwing stuff at thr wall. There isn’t an epyc Milan-x 8*6 to shove them in, it skips from 8 down to 4. That part is still $700/ccd suggested MSRP per 1ku but simply looking at that number will be extremely misleading if the main customers are cloud providers. Epyc parts do need to be more power efficient per CCD so maybe they have a bunch failing in that way? (I have always wondered if that’s why the 2 core active cores per CCD epyc parts exist, in addition of course to having memory bandwidth+higher clocks)

I have no idea what the economics of the epyc parts are and I suspect all those details are closely held secrets between AMD/AWS/Azure/etc. We do know that AMD is telling investors that they’re production limited and have a huge backlog for datacenter parts. It’s clearly not that simple because a very naive reading of the situation would be that AMD should be putting 0 zen 3 CCDs into retail because there’s more money to be made selling then to cloud providers.

Maybe these are CCDs that couldn’t hit the thermal/power efficiency needed for the 5800x3d? It runs hot and is voltage limited, maybe that’s it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

We do know that AMD is telling investors that they’re production limited and have a huge backlog for datacenter parts. It’s clearly not that simple because a very naive reading of the situation would be that AMD should be putting 0 zen 3 CCDs into retail because there’s more money to be made selling then to cloud providers.

Maybe these are CCDs that couldn’t hit the thermal/power efficiency needed for the 5800x3d? It runs hot and is voltage limited, maybe that’s it?

Every desktop CPU is just a server or laptop part that couldn't cut it. Desktop has been bottom feeding off the waste forever.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

hobbesmaster posted:

That’d be my guess if we’re just throwing stuff at thr wall. There isn’t an epyc Milan-x 8*6 to shove them in, it skips from 8 down to 4. That part is still $700/ccd suggested MSRP per 1ku but simply looking at that number will be extremely misleading if the main customers are cloud providers. Epyc parts do need to be more power efficient per CCD so maybe they have a bunch failing in that way? (I have always wondered if that’s why the 2 core active cores per CCD epyc parts exist, in addition of course to having memory bandwidth+higher clocks)

I have no idea what the economics of the epyc parts are and I suspect all those details are closely held secrets between AMD/AWS/Azure/etc. We do know that AMD is telling investors that they’re production limited and have a huge backlog for datacenter parts. It’s clearly not that simple because a very naive reading of the situation would be that AMD should be putting 0 zen 3 CCDs into retail because there’s more money to be made selling then to cloud providers.

the variance of 5800X3D thermals have been pretty crazy from what i've read with my own (under a d15) seemingly on the warmer end. could just be binning of the chips running very hot

of course, no one's really tested it yet, so we're stuck with going back and forth and repasting and reseating the chips. maybe the big ux fix we need isn't for seating pci power cables but seating, pasting, and covering cpu's

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 10, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kliras posted:

the variance of 5800X3D thermals have been pretty crazy from what i've read with my own (under a d15) seemingly on the warmer end. could just be binning of the chips running very hot

I have a day 1 x3d and the initial thinking was that every single x3d could hit -30mV all core and hold the max all core clock in non AVX workloads with a decent AIO or the giant towers.

That definitely is not the case now.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 10, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ardryn posted:

Never happened to me and I've been using it for months since I built the computer. :shrug:
It's javascript, there's no way there aren't memory leaks.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
my thermals still jump up and down with -25, but we already knew that 5800X3D was going to have very "experimental" cooling and thermal dynamics

maybe it's more sensitive to imperfect coverage and cooling, unlike its 7000 counterpart with a big honking ihs which sounds like it's pretty easy to cool

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Every desktop CPU is just a server or laptop part that couldn't cut it. Desktop has been bottom feeding off the waste forever.

This isn't remotely true these days.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Depending on the price I might consider upgrading my secondary desktop to that from the current 3600X it runs. My primary desktop already runs a 5800X3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

This isn't remotely true these days.

Leaky chips that can clock = consumer desktop. Scalability and reusablity is the raison d'être of AMD's designs, with good reason. Or, at least, that is what I thought.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 10, 2023