Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The FBI doesn't charge things that aren't massive slam dunks. So I've been wondering how giant a slam dunk it would need to be if they are charging a previous president.

Apparently the evidence bar for charging a president is somewhere at or below him saying "Look at this document. It's illegal. Also I am not supposed to have it. This is very illegal lol" to everyone he knows, which he then documents in every possible different type of record.

(Followed by him tweeting that yes he did all of those things, they are very factually true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

T.C. posted:

The FBI doesn't charge things that aren't massive slam dunks. So I've been wondering how giant a slam dunk it would need to be if they are charging a previous president.

Apparently the evidence bar for charging a president is somewhere at or below him saying "Look at this document. It's illegal. Also I am not supposed to have it. This is very illegal lol" to everyone he knows, which he then documents in every possible different type of record.

He found, and then did, the one thing that could possibly get him in trouble.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

How do you even begin to build a defense strategy for this lol.

Probably do everything possible to impeach the witnesses and cast them as liars fabricating evidence against Trump for Reasons, and then if they succeed at that they could at least try to snowball that aura of distrust around and hope they can convince people to distrust all the photos and recordings too.

It's a bit of a hail mary play, but the evidence is so damning that I don't see what other play they have besides "all of this evidence was faked by the Deep State to destroy Trump".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Randalor posted:

That Homestuck joke about ICP being joint presidents is sounding like a better timeline day by day.

Violent J is very supportive of his furry daughter.

edit:

I'd feel safer at the Gathering than I would a trump rally.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 9, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Main Paineframe posted:

Probably do everything possible to impeach the witnesses and cast them as liars fabricating evidence against Trump for Reasons, and then if they succeed at that they could at least try to snowball that aura of distrust around and hope they can convince people to distrust all the photos and recordings too.

It's a bit of a hail mary play, but the evidence is so damning that I don't see what other play they have besides "all of this evidence was faked by the Deep State to destroy Trump".

To be fair, there are two options:
1) A competent organization did a really good job of fabricating an implausible amount of evidence.
2) One person is literally dumb enough to do all these crimes and brag about it.
If you suppose that the world is kind of sane, version 1 seems more plausible.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

cant cook creole bream posted:

If you suppose that the world is kind of sane, version 1 seems more plausible.

Why the gently caress would anyone suppose that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone suppose that?

Mental illness?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Cannon got the case? Lmao

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Main Paineframe posted:

Those recordings of Trump admitting to crimes are gonna be a hoot to actually hear and see played in front of a jury.

I suppose Trump's lawyers could put him on the stand to ahahahahahahahah

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Violent J is very supportive of his furry daughter.

edit:

I'd feel safer at the Gathering than I would a trump rally.

The ICP are also famous in the wrestling community for making sure the workers at the shows get paid, which is not something you can typically count on at independent promotions.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was a story about ICP arguing with Terry Funk over royalties or somesuch, so they came over for lunch one day, sneak left a wad of money on his table and left before he could object

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I’d imagine they try to disallow as much evidence as possible for whatever reason they can come up with?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AhhYes posted:

Yeah agreed. It seems like he just really likes having them and got off on showing people secret poo poo.
I don't believe that, and here's why: He knows Nixon got $18 million for his classified documents.

He knows that. It's a fact that's actually been retained in his dementia-riddled, destroyed by strokes, functionally illiterate, low capacity brain.That means it's extremely important to him.

I think the high probability bet is that he heard about that payout at some point, his mind latched onto it, and he got it fixed in his head that "classified documents = money", and from there you figure that with inflation, and also how Nixon is a sucker and got a bad deal (because everyone who isn't him is a sucker) but as a business genius he'll be able to get a much better one... I think he expected he'd be able to hold them for a few years, stonewall the requests, and then when the government came begging, make a big beautiful deal for the documents, the best deal, other presidents have been treated very unfairly but we'll get a really good deal won't we folks

Levitate posted:

I’d imagine they try to disallow as much evidence as possible for whatever reason they can come up with?
*cannon bangs gavel* sustained

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

parthenocarpy posted:

Cannon got the case? Lmao

She gets the arraignment, anyway. I don't know enough about legal procedures to know if she'll be the trial judge as well.

DoJ would probably ask for a recusal, and if not, a change in venue to get a different judge.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Reinhart is also on the indictment. Why wouldn’t he get it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Trump Legal Troubles: TS/BAW/IT/DABA

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not going to find him guilty of big crimes and then say "well he's 76 years old and eats Big Macs for every meal, so we're not going to actually sentence him to anything".

For a point of comparison, Bernie Madoff was 71 years old when he was sentenced to 150 years in prison. Even when he developed terminal kidney disease at age 82, he was denied compassionate release and died in a prison hospital just over a year later.

I'm aware. I'm saying it's more likely he dies from the stress and poo poo. Like whatever they sentence him to, he won't serve it.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The meltdown of the right online is quite educational:

maga 2016: "we can finally save this our great country!"
maga 2018: "what a great country, law and order!"
maga 2020: "T saved our country, if you don't like the US just leave, great perfect country, yay law enforcement!"
maga 2021: ”Attack! They don't belong in our great country! More!"
maga 2023: "gently caress there's no choice but to burn it all down, it's all corrupt, impeach everyone, cancel the DOJ and FBI!"

the left, 2000-2023: "sigh, what a mess, maybe there will be fewer murders and hate crimes this year"

Aww, poor right, now you're all about those participation trophies, eh snowflake? No? Cool let's have you go back and pass highschool first.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Wandered into the conservative board of Reddit because I hate myself and I’m surprised that many are finally seeing “that he’s hosed if true”. Im actually shocked because they are the biggest outspoken trump supporters that ban people at the slightest hint of criticism.

Also the ones who are saying “lol hillary/hunter” and “this is a witch-hunt” are getting obliterated vote wise.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Its a bit hard to argue against reality when his reaction to this coming out is "Yeah, I did it. Why are you acting surprised?" Like, not even making an excuse, just straight up confessing on social media.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Spiffster posted:

Wandered into the conservative board of Reddit because I hate myself and I’m surprised that many are finally seeing “that he’s hosed if true”. Im actually shocked because they are the biggest outspoken trump supporters that ban people at the slightest hint of criticism.

Also the ones who are saying “lol hillary/hunter” and “this is a witch-hunt” are getting obliterated vote wise.

Eh, Reddit removed TheDonald IIRC which was the real nutjobs so if you want to see them you have to go to https://www.patriots.win or whatever it's called.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
oh please the chuds will coalesce into the following over the weekend:

1. It's not that bad!
2. Everyone else does it or would do it if they were as smart as The Donald!
3. Biden! Hunter! Hillary!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has there been any news about the New York boxes? They never got found, right?

Then indictment says 20 boxes where sent FROM Florida to New York... and then just stops talking about them.

I'm guessing they'll come up in the next season.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They are flailing about so wildly, it's almost getting sad.

"But Hilary and Biden should be hanged for having documents!" Okay, so T should be hanged first, at least before Biden. Bidens trial can be scheduled for 3yr after he leaves office, but since he hasn't even been impeached...

"No! Impeach, indict, electric chair. Biden weaponized justice!" The judge granted the search warrant, another judge held things up with a special master, another special master led the investigation. Biden was in Ireland; you remember, you were bitching about it endlessly.

"But Garland... must be impeached!" For letting the 24 Florida citizens of the grand jury act in accordance with the laws of the US?

"But this is election interference, top contender, political :supaburn:" For crimes committed and investigations started months before an announcement, doesn't yet have a primary nomination, for an election 18mo away?

"Lib can't count, it's only 17mo away! Haha checkmate, innocent!" Right, it was 37, now it's 38 (who knows), it was 34 in April, and 37 more in June. And $5M going on ten. :fsmug:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comstar posted:

Has there been any news about the New York boxes? They never got found, right?

Then indictment says 20 boxes where sent FROM Florida to New York... and then just stops talking about them.

I'm guessing they'll come up in the next season.

They were from an early draft of the script, but the writers forgot that reference when they rewrote things later, like the sixth Replicant in Blade Runner.
So when Donnie is convicted and goes to jail in the season 5 finale, they can bring him back as an FBI agent has the Donald released to help him track down all the missing boxes, and the writers just pretend this was their master plan all along.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, but it really shows how stupid the justice system is, if loving espionage on the highest possible level is less severe then owning some drugs.

It's kind of the exact opposite - it's such an agreed upon severe thing that there's never been any need for mandatory minimums. No sane judge is going to be giving you the minimum possible for a guilty verdict, the way they might be tempted to for harmless drug crimes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Question IRL posted:

They were from an early draft of the script, but the writers forgot that reference when they rewrote things later, like the sixth Replicant in Blade Runner.
So when Donnie is convicted and goes to jail in the season 5 finale, they can bring him back as an FBI agent has the Donald released to help him track down all the missing boxes, and the writers just pretend this was their master plan all along.

It'll be like the Friday the 13th series. Or the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GlyphGryph posted:

It's kind of the exact opposite - it's such an agreed upon severe thing that there's never been any need for mandatory minimums. No sane judge is going to be giving you the minimum possible for a guilty verdict, the way they might be tempted to for harmless drug crimes.

I underlined the relevant part.
It would honestly be quite funny, if after a long exhaustive trial he get's sentenced on all counts to 20 days of community service with an option for reduced sentence.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

They say it’s because it’s Florida and they don’t live there, but last night they defended the Don enthusiastically. But the problem is, the conspiracy stuff in the 37 count indictment “pierces the client-attorney privilage” and Trump by being the idiot he is, could set them up to get charged as well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It really makes me wonder what happened in the last not even 24 hours that caused that change in defense counsel. Were they not rear end kissing hard enough on their TV spots?

The conspiracy stuff in the 37 count indictment “pierces the client-attorney privilege”

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Some of them are text message exchanges, but the one being shared above is a recorded interview (with knowledge and permission of the rear end in a top hat) it says.

He knew he was being recorded!? :wow:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

They say it’s because it’s Florida and they don’t live there, but last night they defended the Don enthusiastically. But the problem is, the conspiracy stuff in the 37 count indictment “pierces the client-attorney privilage” and Trump by being the idiot he is, could set them up to get charged as well.

I like to think it's because they took one look at the charges, gave it a quick skim, and both turned around and walked out while saying "Yeah you're hosed. Don't worry about paying us. Byeee."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Charlz Guybon posted:

We’re talking about the smartest person in the world except maybe other than Einstein and that one nuclear scientist at mit (the one with the good genes).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have eaten more intelligent and crime-savvy cottage cheese, yes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

They say it’s because it’s Florida and they don’t live there,

Is this relevant for federal charges?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tayter Swift posted:

It shouldn't be. You can litigate in any federal court as long as you are a member of the Federal Bar. You don't need to be a member of the state bar in which that federal court sits.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
What gets me about these indictments and Trump's other legal woes is that none of it deals with any of the blatantly illegal things he was doing in office before the 2020 election. Had he simply decided to accept the results, he would have probably gotten away with everything, or at least had the Nixon defense of "If the President does it, it's not illegal." Instead, he just couldn't stop being... well, himself, and continued doing things so blatant and illegal even outside of office there was no way the Justice Department could simply ignore it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

More than that, it's not the reason at all. It's an excuse. I stick by my assertion on the reasons why

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VideoGameVet posted:

More than that, it's not the reason at all. It's an excuse. I stick by my assertion on the reasons why

yeah i'm not gonna knock a man for reading the indictment and/or discussing it briefly with donald trump, and then immediately diving into the river to flee the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only actual legal defense he has that I can think of would be a Hail Mary pass at incompetence. Have him evaluated by an expert and get a finding of absolute incompetence to stand trial based on dementia and narcissistic delusions.

If you're a lawyer and suggest that to a narcissist you get fired tho

Trump famously appeared on (international) television to showcase his competence though.

"Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV."