Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

christmas boots posted:

If a single prion can kill a man, then there's no reason a man can't kill the universe itself. Don't let the big balls of plasma scare you, i bet we can blow them all up if we try

drat that's the spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

If there is a way to blow up the universe we're gonna be the first species to do it

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Universe has had it coming imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's it ever done for me

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's it ever done for me

Manifested your consciousness without your consent. So off to a bad start imo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:whitewater:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

like the burning of the Library of Alexandria (for perverts).

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
There's that video game Genesis Rising: The Universal Crusade where humanity has conquered, killed, and enslaved literally the entire universe. The campaign story involves conquering the last galaxy not under human rule. Truly wild poo poo. We would do it too, if we could.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

no!

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
1.38 pedobytes... all gone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s not costing Google enough money to absolve them of their sins.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sometimes I'm ambivalent about digital preservation. On the one hand, playing 30yo games is cool, but on the other, the impulse to archive every second of human experience unsettles me. Certain things should be allowed to pass out of living memory.

1.38 billion megabytes of animu stream is probably something we can mange without.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Captain Invictus's 9/11

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wtf is a data bridge
U.S.-UK Joint Statement on the U.S-UK Data Bridge

www.commerce.gov posted:

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo and UK Secretary of State for Science, Innovation, and Technology the Rt Hon Chloe Smith MP issued a joint statement yesterday on the announcement that both countries have committed in principle to establish a data bridge.

“Today, President Joseph R. Biden and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced that they have committed in principle to establish a data bridge allowing for the free flow of data between organizations in the United Kingdom and participating organizations in the United States.

“This announcement represents the UK’s intent to establish a data bridge for the UK Extension to the U.S.-EU Data Privacy Framework, subject to the UK’s data bridge assessment and further technical work being finalized, and dependent on the U.S. designation of the UK as a qualifying state under Executive Order 14086.

“Today’s announcement also reflects two years of progress and is a key step towards realizing both countries’ mutual ambition to establish a data bridge that would restore a robust and reliable mechanism for U.S.-UK data flows. 

“A U.S.-UK data bridge would uphold the rights of data subjects, facilitate responsible innovation, and provide individuals in both countries greater access to the services that suit them, whilst reducing the burdens on businesses and delivering better outcomes for people.
“We expect that the establishment of the data bridge will also further facilitate transfers to U.S. organizations that rely on other data transfer mechanisms under UK law.

“Reaching this significant milestone builds on the goal set at the inaugural meeting of the U.S.-UK Comprehensive Dialogue on Technology and Data, in January, to finalize a data bridge for U.S.-UK data flows in 2023 and is reflective of the importance of international collaboration to meet the global challenges and opportunities on data.

“We will continue working together to facilitate trusted cross-border data flows, including on multilateral initiatives, such as the Global Cross-Border Privacy Rules Forum, and through international fora, such as the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it means us companies can harvest data from uk residents easier and with less paperwork

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

like interpol but it's USUKPOL

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The lawyer who let chatGPT hallucinate up his motion for him was in court today explaining why the judge shouldn't disbar him

it, uh, went spectacularly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/08/nyregion/lawyer-chatgpt-sanctions.html

quote:

He repeatedly tried to explain why he did not conduct further research into the cases that ChatGPT had provided to him.

“God, I wish I did that, and I didn’t do it,” Mr. Schwartz said, adding that he felt embarrassed, humiliated and deeply remorseful.

“I did not comprehend that ChatGPT could fabricate cases,” he told Judge Castel.

In contrast to Mr. Schwartz’s contrite postures, Judge Castel gesticulated often in exasperation, his voice rising as he asked pointed questions. Repeatedly, the judge lifted both arms in the air, palms up, while asking Mr. Schwartz why he did not better check his work.

As Mr. Schwartz answered the judge’s questions, the reaction in the courtroom, crammed with close to 70 people who included lawyers, law students, law clerks and professors, rippled across the benches. There were gasps, giggles and sighs. Spectators grimaced, darted their eyes around, chewed on pens.

“I continued to be duped by ChatGPT. It’s embarrassing,” Mr. Schwartz said.

An onlooker let out a soft, descending whistle.

“Paradoxically, this event has an unintended silver lining in the form of deterrence,” he said.

There was no silver lining in courtroom 11-D on Thursday. At one point, Judge Castel questioned Mr. Schwartz about one of the fake opinions, reading a few lines aloud.

“Can we agree that’s legal gibberish?” Judge Castel said.

Let's not forget there's two smartest boys in the room involved in this fiasco. Schwartz let chatGPT write his motion, but Schwartz wasn't admitted to practice in federal court. No problem, his coworker LeDuca who IS legally able to argue in federal court was just signing off whatever he did without reading it, which is absolutely something you should do and never has any negative consequences!

quote:

Judge Castel questioned Mr. LoDuca on Thursday about a document filed under his name asking that the lawsuit not be dismissed.

“Did you read any of the cases cited?” Judge Castel asked.

“No,” Mr. LoDuca replied.

“Did you do anything to ensure that those cases existed?”

No again.
In summary:

quote:

“This case has reverberated throughout the entire legal profession,” said David Lat, a legal commentator. “It is a little bit like looking at a car wreck.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
a member of the jury made a slidewhistle noise during my testimony I think it’s going well

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

christmas boots posted:

a member of the jury made a slidewhistle noise during my testimony I think it’s going well

That was your cue to burst into song idiot. Have you literally never been to court before???

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

*busts out a trombone* *Wah-wah-waaaaah*

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"You can't disbar me if you can't catch me!"

cue Yackety Sax

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FFT posted:

cue Yackety Sax

Narrator: "They could disbar him."

*smash cut*

"I don't understand. It works in maritime law!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm more picturing a Benny Hill/Scooby Doo chase scene but it's just the two lawyers that hosed up going in and out of doors in a courthouse hallway, then smash cut to the judge still at the bench going "okay well you don't have to be present to be disbarred"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

this means u aint got a soul

Not surprised

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FFT posted:

cue Yackety Sax

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tubby bailiff totally had a good line on that guy but just didn't put in the effort. Sad state of affairs you got teammates putting it all on the line on the field and you're out there making business decisions.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PostNouveau posted:

Tubby bailiff totally had a good line on that guy but just didn't put in the effort. Sad state of affairs you got teammates putting it all on the line on the field and you're out there making business decisions.

yea but if you're fatcop you get plenty of opportunities to destroy your knees chasing a suspect in exchange for early retirement+pension with disability bonus, but you gotta be selective and make it count so you come out sounding like a tragic hero instead of "stupid pig rolls down stairs. slapstick!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sir! Sir! It's just a parking ticket just pay it!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"I'm a free man on the lamb!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

find something to be as passionate about as that bailiff was about that diving tackle

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Shoulda gone into the nfl, probably less brain damage

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Amusing attack on T-Shirt spam bots that steal content:
https://twitter.com/penfoldsfiv/status/1667672731570036736?s=20
https://twitter.com/penfoldsfiv/status/1667699851138564099?s=20

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

omg lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

They're deleted now but for a bit these kinds of responses were getting replies from sellers lmao https://twitter.com/ConditorCancri/status/1667686291201245185

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

They're deleted now but for a bit these kinds of responses were getting replies from sellers lmao https://twitter.com/ConditorCancri/status/1667686291201245185

this rules

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1667733611397910531?s=20

I'm surprised it took this long for people to try this

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

people have been doing that at least a few years afaik

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

that specific mickey picture, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Aparently the blocks aren't about realizing that they were fooled but rather a way of keeping the reply from being hidden by the person they're responding to. The spam accounts do it to everyone they reply to.