Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I hope everyone's bought their popcorn in anticipation of this summer's content

Before the climate destroys the popcorn crop

America will never let the corn crops fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Smokes over, grow up. Take some personal responsibility and go for a run in the haze. It's over. It was never real in the first place. Forest fires are good for you. We need to cut taxes

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

sleep with the vicious posted:

Smokes over, grow up.We need to cut taxes

That's right

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol, today seems like a good day to do anything other than waste my remaining life working.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

at the doctor about my cough

if it's related to the fires I'll be a climate change victim. that owns lol

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

very genuinely: this is the first time i have looked at what's going on and thought "oh no"

like in an immediate, i see an out of control truck coming at me sorta way. as opposed to knowing that i should be looking out for traffic.

Yes, for me it's like beating into a storm and seeing that one enormous wave rising above the others and knowing that when it hits you it's going to take out the wheelhouse windows and hit you in the face with plexiglass and a million firehoses. There's nothing you can do about it; try to turn and you'll roll the ship. Hopefully you can keep the keel down, mast up, and most of the water on the outside for just a little longer.

I keep thinking about the palliative care nurses who cared for my mother in law while she was dying of cancer. Amazing people, they know how things will end but they still smile and treat the world with kindness and understanding while watching some of the most hosed up poo poo imaginable going on around the patient. I hope some day I can develop that grace. Hopefully sometime before the Goddess of Firenadoes gets me.

In my in-laws case the hosed up poo poo was my dementia-suffering father in law trying to deal with Mom being in bed all the time. I watched the doctor give him Mom's prognosis twice during a 15 minute visit because his brain just couldn't process the idea even 6 months after the initial diagnosis. I had to regularly intervene when he'd decide that Mom's problem was that she was depressed and in the best tradition of toxic extroversion needed to be physically dragged out of bed so she could sing and dance and be normal. The fact that she was screaming in pain when he did this didn't register at all. Yeah, she was depressed but...

Increasingly the normal world is sounding to me like my father in law. I'm glad we've got a place to discuss these things here. At least we do as long as the QCS Karens aren't successful in imposing their view of normalcy on us.

Microplastics posted:

I hope everyone's bought their popcorn in anticipation of this summer's content

Before the climate destroys the popcorn crop

protip for growing your own: Make sure you separate your popcorn and sweet corn crops. Corn sex is weird and the tasty part of the kernel develops from a second structure of the same pollen grain that fertilizes the embryo and you end up with multicoloured sweet corn that tastes starchy and doesn't pop worth a drat.

Don't ask me how I know this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crazypoops posted:

El yes hahaha yes!

El Psicó

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I think this is the summer I stop worrying about my cholesterol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Just a Moron posted:

i'm getting a face tattoo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just a Moron posted:

im on a statin

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

we are all climate change victims tbh

Hexigrammus posted:

I keep thinking about the palliative care nurses who cared for my mother in law while she was dying of cancer. Amazing people, they know how things will end but they still smile and treat the world with kindness and understanding while watching some of the most hosed up poo poo imaginable going on around the patient. I hope some day I can develop that grace. Hopefully sometime before the Goddess of Firenadoes gets me.

In my in-laws case the hosed up poo poo was my dementia-suffering father in law trying to deal with Mom being in bed all the time. I watched the doctor give him Mom's prognosis twice during a 15 minute visit because his brain just couldn't process the idea even 6 months after the initial diagnosis. I had to regularly intervene when he'd decide that Mom's problem was that she was depressed and in the best tradition of toxic extroversion needed to be physically dragged out of bed so she could sing and dance and be normal. The fact that she was screaming in pain when he did this didn't register at all. Yeah, she was depressed but...

:smith:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Jun 9, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm on the isle of Rhodes right now, booked a trip to butterfly valley which is a tropical microclimate where each June thousands of butterflies emerge and hang out there.

Got told today that the trip is cancelled becuase in the 2 weeks before we got here they had like 4 months of rain all at once and it's washed out the valley and there's no butterflies.

I just feel sad now

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

AceClown posted:

I'm on the isle of Rhodes right now, booked a trip to butterfly valley which is a tropical microclimate where each June thousands of butterflies emerge and hang out there.

Got told today that the trip is cancelled becuase in the 2 weeks before we got here they had like 4 months of rain all at once and it's washed out the valley and there's no butterflies.

I just feel sad now

well they don't contribute to industry so it's fine actually

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A reminder that society can remain functional longer than you can remain solvent.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

cash crab posted:

well they don't contribute to industry so it's fine actually

How many butterflies ever built me a pipeline? gently caress em

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

skooma512 posted:

A reminder that society can remain functional longer than you can remain solvent.

:hmmyes:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

thinking about Pedro Pascal in the Last of Us missing the entirety of

his birthday
the final day before the apocalypse
his daughter's last day alive

to work a double shift after ignoring a bunch of ominous signs

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Tbf, it was a double shift at the dick sucking factory.

Love what you do etc etc

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wicked new video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sFhkzK7jkKg

quote:

Washington D.C., June 9, 2023 - Today, the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB) released a new safety video on its investigation into the April 2018 explosion and fire at the Husky Superior Refinery in Superior, Wisconsin. The incident injured 36 workers, caused roughly $550 million in damage to the facility and released 39,000 pounds of flammable hydrocarbon vapor into the air. Over 2,500 residents of the City of Superior were evacuated from their homes, and the City of Duluth, Minnesota, issued a shelter in place order.

At the time of the incident, the Superior Refinery was owned by Husky Energy, which had purchased the refinery less than six months earlier in November 2017. In 2021, Husky Energy merged with Cenovus Energy.

The CSB's new safety video includes an animation of the series of events leading to the incident, and interviews with both the CSB’s Chairperson Steve Owens and Lead Investigator, Melike Yersiz.

The incident at the Superior Refinery occurred while the refinery was shutting down its fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) unit to perform planned maintenance. Two vessels within the FCC unit exploded sending debris flying into the air. One piece traveled about 200 feet and hit a large aboveground storage tank, puncturing the side of the tank, and releasing hot asphalt. The asphalt later ignited causing a huge fire.

In the safety video Chairperson Steve Owens states, “Refinery shutdowns, as well as startups, can be particularly dangerous because processes are not in normal operation mode. Our investigation found that critical safeguards were not in place during this shutdown, and the procedures followed at the refinery were not correct. The result was a massive explosion and fire that injured dozens of workers, caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage, and threatened surrounding communities.”

The CSB’s final report notes that in addition to smoke from the fires at the refinery, the City of Superior’s evacuation was based on the potential risk of a release of highly toxic hydrofluoric acid (HF), which was stored and used at the refinery. Although no HF release occurred, the HF storage tank was about 150 feet away from the two vessels that exploded, about 50 feet closer than the asphalt storage tank that was damaged. Therefore, the CSB considers this incident to be a serious near miss that, had an HF release occurred, could have been much worse.

Chairperson Owens closes the video by saying, “The incident at the Superior Refinery should serve as a wakeup call to other refineries, especially those that have hydrofluoric acid alkylation units. During transient operations, refineries must have necessary safeguards in place -- and follow correct procedures -- to prevent disasters from occurring.”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol, lmao there is no escape you fools

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1667291829031653376

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

🎵The summer wind *hack wheeze*
came blowin' in
From across the sea
*cough cough wheeze*
from across the continenttttt 🎵

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:owned:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its aqi 39 today. crisis over. office reopens in 60 hours

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nichael posted:

🎵The summer wind *hack wheeze*
came blowin' in
From across the sea
*cough cough wheeze*
from across the continenttttt 🎵

Milsmoooo-

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

doctor said yeah prob

he prescribed me tessalon which sounds futuristic as gently caress

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sleep with the vicious posted:

Smokes over, grow up. Take some personal responsibility and go for a run in the haze. It's over. It was never real in the first place. Forest fires are good for you. We need to cut taxes
i'll always remember when sydney had a 48c day and along with all the usual lycra-clad suspects i saw a lady jogger at the park in the full afternoon heat, jogging while pushing a stroller, with a baby in it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

a strange fowl posted:

i'll always remember when sydney had a 48c day and along with all the usual lycra-clad suspects i saw a lady jogger at the park in the full afternoon heat, jogging while pushing a stroller, with a baby in it

if it was 48c out i probably wouldn't be wearing anything more than lycra

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
It’s gonna be awesome slowly watching out earth and wildlife burn to a crisp as global industrial civilization slowly crumbles around us and things only progressively get worse as we deal with the religious and far right freaking out as it dawns n them we aren’t special and we are absolutely beyond hosed.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
There's cringe in my rapture fantasies!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my personal concern with the apocalypse is eating rear end in a world without antibiotics

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

some colleagues and i were talking about how nice it was that we finally had some rain since we've had nothing since the end of april basically, so i'm real glad we're all on the same page

:blessed:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Hubbert posted:

some colleagues and i were talking about how nice it was that we finally had some rain since we've had nothing since the end of april basically, so i'm real glad we're all on the same page

:blessed:
the only good thing about growing up in an almost-desert small town was that it taught me an appreciation for water. it can never rain enough.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

el nino all grown up into el hombre

coke
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/09/1181213345/orange-sky-canadian-fires-wedding-ceremonies

quote:

Until this week, when she thought of her wedding, the 28-year-old lawyer, who is getting married at the historic Daughters of the American Revolution building near the National Mall, pictured herself and her 100 guests celebrating among the elegant beaux-arts style columns on a clear summer day.

"Just beautiful skies and a beautiful view of the Washington Monument, which we are supposed to have from our venue," she said, noting that "it might not be as clear a view now."

:qq:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wheeee posted:

el nino all grown up into el hombre

lmao

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

a strange fowl posted:

It's gotten to 48C in Sydney? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

my guess is within 5 years some super wealthy person or group of people starts aerosol injection

woulda typed '10' but, sooner, faster, etc.