Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Surely Morn snoring while drunk counts as a spoken line of dialog.

oh poo poo, when did that happen? is Morn a "Honk Shooooo, Honk Shooooo," or a "Honk Mimimimimimimi, Honk Mimimimimimimi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

oh poo poo, when did that happen? is Morn a "Honk Shooooo, Honk Shooooo," or a "Honk Mimimimimimimi, Honk Mimimimimimimi"

morn is a "COMMAND CODE PICARD FIVE SEVEN ALPHA FIVE NINE DELTA TWO BETA..." snorer

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

*Taps the "classic" part of the thread title*

Complaining about Star Trek is classic Star Trek.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wait, I thought the origin of Morn being chatty was that they went to great lengths making the costume in a way that allowed him to speak, but then his line was cut and it didn't matter.
Also, for a character that literally never spoke and basically just hung around in and around a bar, he was quite good, more fleshed out than most of the Disco characters.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Barry Foster posted:

Oh yes, I'm in for this

The Star Trek mod for Stellaris was really cool, but the mechanics weren't quite Trek-y enough, so if this can follow through, it'll be my perfect "lost six hours somehow" game

Their marketing is really leaning into selling this as a Paradox strategy game, but it's not really. It's being published by Paradox, but the dev team are the ones behind the underwhelming Masters of Orion reboot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

"Computer, Picardi and soda, neat"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Complaining about Star Trek is classic Star Trek.

I'm (surprisingly) complaining about spoilers because I'm catching my wife up on classic Trek before we watch from Picard on together. We're on Enterprise now (just watched A Night in the Infirmary lololol) and obviously just skipped Voyager entirely

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

*Taps the "classic" part of the thread title*

nine-gear crow posted:

Can I talk about Modern Trek here?

If you wish.

u wot

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm (surprisingly) complaining about spoilers because I'm catching my wife up on classic Trek before we watch from Picard on together. We're on Enterprise now (just watched A Night in the Infirmary lololol) and obviously just skipped Voyager entirely

Skipping Voyager before watching Picard is a…choice. Are you going to skip Nemesis too?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

voyager and nemesis can suck me from the back and if you want to read their wikipedia articles its about as entertaining as actually watching them and exponentially faster

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Watch VOY if only to truly appreciate the laziness of seeing the same episode on ENT.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Soul Dentist posted:

You skipped Voyager for Enterprise?

Oof.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't skip poo poo, I just elected to not show that filth to my wife.

eta: I saw Nemesis in theaters lol

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's one thing Enterprise has going for it that Voyager can't compete with: It's shorter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I didn't skip poo poo, I just elected to not show that filth to my wife.

eta: I saw Nemesis in theaters lol

i mean that's the thing is like i can understand not wanting to watch bad things again (but voyager is good) but you are gonna be dropping a bunch of characters and stuff she doesn't know on her

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

(but voyager is good)

:hmmwrong:

She was curious after watching TNG and DS9 so I put the pilot on and she couldn't make it five minutes. Voyager is next level garbage

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

They said at the end that they preferred Picard Season 3 to SNW or Lower Decks, these people are clearly Pakleds

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Cold open to episode 6 or 7 of season 2. He's asleep in the promenade and Odo shoos him away.

More of a mimimi if I recall correctly from last night, but I was very high.

Edit: Episode 7, and it's mostly just a gurgle.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 10, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

They said at the end that they preferred Picard Season 3 to SNW or Lower Decks, these people are clearly Pakleds

Cursed, dwindling fandom

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

:hmmwrong:

She was curious after watching TNG and DS9 so I put the pilot on and she couldn't make it five minutes. Voyager is next level garbage

I'm not usually here to defend Voyager, but if you couldn't make it five minutes in but you're watching Enterprise, which is worthless and irredeemable start-to-finish, I actually don't think you gave Voyager a fair shot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tighclops posted:

Cursed, dwindling fandom

We want things to make our feelings go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm really excited about this grand strategy ga-

Kesper North posted:

Hey :mad:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pakled posted:

I'm really excited about this grand strategy ga-

Hey :mad:

I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me. What I meant to say is, I don't think they have big enough hats to make such a claim.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm going to admit that I didn't like "Necessary Evil" even though I'm sure that is an incredibly unpopular opinion. I did not find any flaws in the episode: I've just never liked noir and this is about as hardboiled an episode as Star Trek has ever had. The performances were great, it develops the relationship between Kira and Odo wonderfully, and it helps flesh out what the underground was willing to do during the occupation.

I should love the episode, but it didn't click for me and that's fine. I'm not going to love every single moment of the show. I do think it might be because it followed Rules of Acquisition and honestly, as much as I like Quark as a character, the Ferengi focused episodes have been more exhausting than entertaining. I get it - Ferengi culture is terrible. Let's please stop cackling already. Had I watched them on different days rather than binging, I probably would have been able to go into Necessary Evil with a more open mind and been able to enjoy it for what it is.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not usually here to defend Voyager, but if you couldn't make it five minutes in but you're watching Enterprise, which is worthless and irredeemable start-to-finish, I actually don't think you gave Voyager a fair shot.

This is pretty harsh to Enterprise, its biggest sin is really recycling old episode concepts which feels exhausting coming at the end of such a long string of shows. I find it way more watchable than Voyager.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

holefoods posted:

This is pretty harsh to Enterprise, its biggest sin is really recycling old episode concepts which feels exhausting coming at the end of such a long string of shows. I find it way more watchable than Voyager.

I'll admit to disliking Enterprise more than most of the thread does, but setting that aside, it has way bigger sins than "let's redo a Voyager episode but make it boring!" (Which I agree is also a problem.) "Dear Doctor" and "A Night in Sickbay" just for starters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Enterprise season 4 is legit good, it takes a while to get there but it does go places. But overall arguing which is better between Voyager and Enterprise kinda feels like a wastes effort, they're both pretty bad for the most part

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The one with the automated repair station is easily one of the best episodes of Star Trek on the whole, not just Enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

The one with the automated repair station is easily one of the best episodes of Star Trek on the whole, not just Enterprise.

I love that one. So spooky.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's nothing wrong with watching any episode of Star Trek. Some are great, some are good, some are bad, some are terrible. The only reason I objected is because it seemed like the OP had a goal (watching Picard with their SO) and Voyager, from what I've read/heard about Picard, is pretty relevant in setting that goal up.

Not watching Voyager is fine, although I do think only watching the first five minutes of "Caretaker" is a mistake since the show is intentionally feeding you a bunch of redshirts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching any episode of Star Trek. Some are great, some are good, some are bad, some are terrible. The only reason I objected is because it seemed like the OP had a goal (watching Picard with their SO) and Voyager, from what I've read/heard about Picard, is pretty relevant in setting that goal up.

I'd argue that knowledge of Voyager is more important for appreciating the entirety of Prodigy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

O'Brien the most important character and Voyager the most important series

What's happened, Trek

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its not that voyager is important, its that it was so creatively bankrupt that they plumbed the well of borg bullshit so much that any further use of them (which was always inevitable) would have to reference back to it. the lack of creativity on voyager became the pillar made of sand that the modern lack of creativity has attempted to build a house out of.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'm not sure that it's so much 'Voyager is important' as 'Prodigy has retroactively given Voyager more emotional resonance than it had in its first run'. Which is fine, actually - mediocre art deserves the chance to be rehabbed.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

Not watching Voyager is fine, although I do think only watching the first five minutes of "Caretaker" is a mistake since the show is intentionally feeding you a bunch of redshirts.

She had a visceral dislike of both Janeway and Paris, so eh. She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what, and I'm excited for SNW after. I'm watching Enterprise for the first time with her and was also impressed with the repair station episode

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Soul Dentist posted:

She had a visceral dislike of both Janeway and Paris, so eh. She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what, and I'm excited for SNW after. I'm watching Enterprise for the first time with her and was also impressed with the repair station episode

It's a shame that the TNG character of Picard is absent from the series of the same name.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

larry strikes again

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Tom Paris is fine the real problem is how they try to frame him as a hot shot cool guy so much early on when he’s just kind of a dweeb

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soul Dentist posted:

She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what

For the longest time, Nemesis was the worst thing Trek had ever produced.

Then Picard came along and said "hold my beer" while careening off a cliff while on fire for three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.