Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

The mimic chapter. Mimics...are sentient!

And echoing demon lines. When you think about it, demons and mimics are actually fairly similar, they just differ in what they imitate. Interesting perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Incredible lore in the mimic chapter, both of those were really good and perfect side stories by the guest authors.

Also put this at the end of the OP

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Frieren and the mimics have an I Am Legend dynamic

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
You'd think that the mimics would have developed a survival strategy by now. "Always have a small trinket or otherwise uninteresting object inside you, and if you see The Slayer, just make your insides into a real chest and let her find the thing. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ATTACK. You will just join those who have died to her already. Once she is safely gone, you can return to normal."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

we've seen Frieren beat exactly one mimic, every other time she had to get her rear end bailed out. She's like 1 for 20 on screen and more implied. And the mimic she beat was in a guest comic.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Doodles posted:

just make your insides into a real chest and let her find the thing. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ATTACK.

This would be like demons hiding their power level. It’s completely illogical and just against the very core of their being :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

we've seen Frieren beat exactly one mimic, every other time she had to get her rear end bailed out. She's like 1 for 20 on screen and more implied. And the mimic she beat was in a guest comic.

That's because she's in a party so she can get bailed out, I believe she's straight up said she can just explode them from the inside but that messes up her hair so she only does it on her own.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

this bad boy can fit so many grimoires in it

Hey wait she shouldn't be able to fly out of the big one at this point, should she?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
These bonus chapters have, overall, been pretty fun. I especially like the mimic one as it shows she is BARELY justified in her insistence in checking mimics, since she found a grimoire in one. She's like a dog who found a pie under a bush and now has to check it every time, just in case another pie appears.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Mmmmmmmmm.... pie....

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A little more information has been released regarding the program. There's new character design samples on the website, and three more of the voice cast have been announced:

Nobuhiko Okamoto as Himmel
Hiroki Touchi as Heiter
Yōji Ueda as Eisen

All three have long experience and have voiced characters in some memorable series.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doodles posted:

A little more information has been released regarding the program. There's new character design samples on the website, and three more of the voice cast have been announced:

Nobuhiko Okamoto as Himmel
Hiroki Touchi as Heiter
Yōji Ueda as Eisen

All three have long experience and have voiced characters in some memorable series.

Who's voicing the mimics?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

fizzy posted:

Who's voicing the mimics?

Rich Little

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The mimics just make the anime girl "taking a bite" sound.

Aaah haumf!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh the music in this is quite good. made me tear up

frieren's anime is going to kick off with a TWO HOUR "first episode".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKPyGXrCVA&hd=1

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Captain Invictus posted:

oh the music in this is quite good. made me tear up

frieren's anime is going to kick off with a TWO HOUR "first episode".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKPyGXrCVA&hd=1

I wonder if it will massively flesh out the "prologue" of when the hero's party arrives back at the capital and the resulting celebrations. Gives the audience more time with Himmel and the gang to build up that emotional foundation before whisking them away. Given that the manga has been on hiatus since uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe the writer has had some time to provide some supplementary writing.

If not, I'm curious what a two hour (!!) first episode would accomplish another than stitching what could have been normal episodes together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao that's literally what I just posted in the seasonal thread for what I hope they do. the fairly abrupt intro in the manga leading into the funeral very quickly works well that way, but making an extended heroic return and ending the "movie" with himmel's death and the start of frieren's journey would be great.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just caught up after reading up to chapter 2 when it was new and then forgetting about it.

Overall impressions are that the long arcs it goes into are about 50% too long, and also that I wish time were passing faster. I wanted to see Fern and Stark get married and subsequently divorced over the course of this journey.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/FRIEREN_PR/status/1675524044215705600?t=C9LxDqHe7wW7aN0FJ1VO2w&s=19

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

What's this about? Twitter is being a lovely website again.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The official Twitter account went over 85K followers.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Just caught up after reading up to chapter 2 when it was new and then forgetting about it.

Overall impressions are that the long arcs it goes into are about 50% too long, and also that I wish time were passing faster. I wanted to see Fern and Stark get married and subsequently divorced over the course of this journey.

:redass:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vxtwitter works on discord, but you've gotta remember to remove it on SA

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's this about? Twitter is being a lovely website again.

Frieren kisses

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1682641969342734336?s=19

News!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
More good news for Frieren. :woop:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Monday morning brings yet more tidbits:

https://frieren-anime.jp/news/230807_1/

The short form from ANN:

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End Anime Reveals Cast for Fern, Stark

Kana Ichinose plays Fern, Chiaki Kobayashi plays Stark in anime premiering on September 29

The official website for the television anime of Kanehito Yamada and Tsukasa Abe's Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Sōsō no Frieren) manga revealed two additional cast members on Monday. Kana Ichinose will voice the character Fern, and Chiaki Kobayashi will voice the character Stark. Both characters will go on a journey together with Frieren.
---------

Among Ms. Ichinose's past performances is Suletta Mercury from G-Witch, soooo... Ferna forgetta??? :3:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
With a month left to go, another trailer has dropped, and I couldn't be happier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFipdwvjkQ

In addition to giving us a little bit of Fern & Stark, it has the opening and closing themes for the series, and they already sound like classics:

OP: "Hero" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

I'm scared I'll overhype myself, but everything I keep seeing and hearing makes me want to dance like a monkey.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doodles posted:

With a month left to go, another trailer has dropped, and I couldn't be happier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFipdwvjkQ

In addition to giving us a little bit of Fern & Stark, it has the opening and closing themes for the series, and they already sound like classics:

OP: "Hero" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

I'm scared I'll overhype myself, but everything I keep seeing and hearing makes me want to dance like a monkey.

Oh so they are getting to the demons then.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

YOASOBI and MILET both own, Drown is one of my favorite OP/ED songs in recent memory (Fire Arrow is really good from the same album)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And "The Blessing" is one of mine, so I'm delighted.

Mordja posted:

Oh so they are getting to the demons then.

Absolutely. The premiere looks like it will, at least, cover when Fern joins with Frieren after Heiter dies so a full series is easily going to address the first couple of encounters with them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that looks great

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doodles posted:

And "The Blessing" is one of mine, so I'm delighted.

Absolutely. The premiere looks like it will, at least, cover when Fern joins with Frieren after Heiter dies so a full series is easily going to address the first couple of encounters with them.

I guess I specifically meant their encounter with Aura and her army, who's arguably the first real demon characters, and whose arc tells you what they're all about.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hey, wake up thread, new Frieren chapter just dropped. We are back. :woop:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/93b83369-d518-4936-b7ef-9bb157618905

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Spirit

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Finally, FINALLY the dwarf gets to show his specialty. Love it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Myok posted:

Finally, FINALLY the dwarf gets to show his specialty. Love it.

Nobody is a match for the wall

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Stallion of the Cinnabon.:anime: