Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

It is probably best to have a mix of mix guided systems used hit particular hardened/critical targets with overwhelming force. I would say the issue in the West, it is just very light on mass, and at the end of the day you need to potentially put out tens of thousands of rounds a day downrange in a peer to peer conflict. If you want to move through a heavily fortified position in 2023, it is pretty tricky and honestly, you really should mostly annihilate the other side ahead of time.

I think the big problem with The West [tm] is the emphasis on ever superior (in theory) weapons & platforms with an ever increasing cost means they're essentially too precious and expensive to have in quantity, stockpile or even use.

"Sarge can we call down a fire mission on that hill?"

"Are you out of your mind Private? Each one of the missiles costs more than you or I will see in our lifetimes."

Also imagine waiting the entire length of WW2 to get more missiles from the factory because they're on back order and don't make very many each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

January 6 Survivor posted:

what could have been...

Zeon-rear end tank

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I assume the Baltics/Baltic nationalisms were the most heavily whitewashed/propagandized during the Cold War, because of the circumstances of their annexation by the Soviets and lack of indigenous fascist and communist movements like Hungary/Poland/etc?

Blood and soil fascism is a feature of any European nation or their colonies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DancingShade posted:

I think the big problem with The West [tm] is the emphasis on ever superior (in theory) weapons & platforms with an ever increasing cost means they're essentially too precious and expensive to have in quantity, stockpile or even use.

"Are you out of your mind Private? Each one of the missiles costs more than you or I will see in our lifetimes."

relatable. this is how I handle weapons/power-ups in video games.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

mawarannahr posted:

I wonder if urkraine has been using their mega-elixers or saving all 99 in case they need it one day

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Also imagine waiting the entire length of WW2 to get more missiles from the factory because they're on back order and don't make very many each year.

It also forces them for example to pursue a more defensive mindset built around light infantry, simply out of the realistic limits of costs and their own limited capacity for production.

There are clearly still Abrams tanks sitting in the desert, but if WW3 broke out (not impossible tbh), what would the West do besides drop a bunch of nukes? Most European militaries don't seem to have anywhere near the stockpiles they had during the Cold War and if anything they are probably even more reduced by this conflict. If European NATO had to send forces to the front besides their small core of professionals, it would probably just be a bunch of motorized light infantry. The US is obviously in better shape, but it clear that it isn't geared for peer to peer conflicts either and it would be a long-time before those tanks ever got pulled out of storage (also its own core of professionals are clearly stretched thin as it is).

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I wonder if urkraine has been using their mega-elixers or saving all 99 in case they need it one day

They had them all equipped to Zelensky but he keeps leaving the party during boss fights

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Yep. David M. Glantz was the first western writer to seriously consider the Soviets absent German sources, first as a doctrine writer, then as a historian, and it's pretty shocking when you compare it to what had been accepted without question since the 50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvKJVzbuXq8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzYbAdeSZN4

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Steiner's ...bradleys, leopards 2, F-16s will beat the orcs now

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
May 10

MonkeyLibFront posted:

fizzy posted:

As you are a tank commander in the UK military (which you had said in the GiP forum), you share common allegiance to King Charles as Frosted Flake, as well as both of you being siblings in arms across borders. I hope you and he will strike up a beautiful friendship.

Something tells me we wouldn't see eye to eye and from what he's posted I'm getting the impressions he's not necessarily at the sharper point of the Canadian military.
June 9

It’s happening

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
this is joe b idens fault for not releasing the f-35s to ua, which is why they're losing. send the f-35s!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

the latest dispatch from the meme wars

Lol holy poo poo, how often does agitaprop come labeled

Frosted Flake posted:

Not unlike that one confederate general that was blamed for losing the war in the south? Hood? Bragg?

Lee?

really queer Christmas posted:

Looks like CSPAM has settled on "Ukraine is losing badly". So I'm expecting them to be in Melitopol by Monday morning
Moscow by Christmas or fym

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Jun 10, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Horizon Burning posted:

must be bad if that's what CNN is going with

"inlcudes american supplied mraps"

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Megamissen posted:

"inlcudes american supplied mraps"

Ngl mraps seem terrible for the terrain conditions

Against an opponent without effective mid to long range anti tank capability, or precision air and artillery support, you can slow down when the trail goes to poo poo.

That same slowdown under the umbrella of observed artillery fire and guided at systems has a much higher chance for tragic outcomes

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jun 10, 2023

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

If I were Ukraine I would have collected x99 Leopard 2s and only used them if the official guide told me I'd get another for defeating that enemy

BrotherJayne posted:

Ngl mraps seem terrible for the terrain conditions

Against an opponent without effective mid to long range anti tank capability, or precision air and artillery support, you can slow down when the trail goes to poo poo.

That same slowdown under the umbrella of observed artillery fire and guided at systems has a much higher chance for tragic outcomes

MRAPs are completely pointless outside of changing IED deaths to IED grievous injuries.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
That's why the US didn't send their tanks

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1667461973280260098

and lol @ Europe playing the sucker

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The way Westerners engage with the war in Ukraine is little more than an extension of the culture war, where signifiers mean everything and you can perform your righteousness without having to face real consequences. If they really cared enough to pay attention then there should be a white hot popular rage at the way NATO & the EU are fumbling the bag, but I wonder if they even know to care about the details. They've convinced themselves that Ukraine will win already, because the moral arc of the universe bends towards justice or some poo poo.

Yeah, it's kind of fundamental for the euro lib worldview that Ukraine is winning, because if they are not then maybe the Ukrainian working class is dying for nothing and you kind of should be thinking about what kind of settlement the Russians would accept, even if that makes you a "Putinversteher"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

samogonka posted:

and lol @ Europe playing the sucker

tanking our economy for america and their loudest mouthed baltic doggys was totally worth it though

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Yeah, it's kind of fundamental for the euro lib worldview that Ukraine is winning, because if they are not then maybe the Ukrainian working class is dying for nothing and you kind of should be thinking about what kind of settlement the Russians would accept, even if that makes you a "Putinversteher"

Yeah, everything conceptually is built on "of course they are winning," and I assume spin and denial will have to make up for it for a while.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Palladium posted:

tanking our economy for america and their loudest mouthed baltic doggys was totally worth it though

New Europe stays winning

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/BrennpunktUA/status/1667461669776424962

putin won't like this news very much

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

it's kind of weird that they telegraphed the offensive in the south for so long before actually launching it. If that was the plan all along, why not announce an imminent invasion of Belarus or something other than what you were actually going to do? The western press is completely subordinate to their governments at this point so it's not like they didn't have the means.

There, I've said it. Watch for news of a sudden Ukrainian blitzkreig into Belarus on Monday I guess.

I mean the Kherson offensive was similar no? And maybe there is somewhere in the line that is held by mobiks with three of them having to share one pair of boots, but if the offensive isn't credible enough to attract enough reinforcements from the weaker points it's not going to do much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You might need to explain this one for the peanut gallery who don't read German.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

You might need to explain this one for the peanut gallery who don't read German.

Blue km number go up

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DancingShade posted:

JUST IN — The AFU 🇺🇦 has cut a 16km wide, up to 3km deep swath into the RF 🇷🇺 defense lines on the #Zaporizhzhia front near Orikhiv and is holding positions, 🇺🇦 sources report

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nix Panicus posted:

Blood and soil fascism is a feature of any European nation or their colonies.

I mean really it's the only way to justify the mass land theft that kickstarted European imperialism. The natives weren't making proper use of their land so it's only just for us to come and take over from them because of our superior god --> ethics --> genes --> blood.

The alternative is admitting that none of that poo poo was and is, in fact, justified or justifiable at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

So has anybody seen any reporting on Ukrainian artillery fires beyond that economist piece talking about rocket attacks on cities?

Thanks for the egregious details (genuinely) but what I wanted to know was if GOAT HERD was a name used during your deployment.

Oh no. It’s a convention in teaching, like how you always refer to “Private Bloggins” as the generic Canadian soldier. “If Private Bloggins XYZ…”, “At the signal GOAT HERD XYZ…”

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

JUST IN — The AFU 🇺🇦 has cut a 16km wide, up to 3km deep swath into the RF 🇷🇺 defense lines on the #Zaporizhzhia front near Orikhiv and is holding positions, 🇺🇦 sources report

so after 4-5 days they finally got through the picket line at one point?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Orange Devil posted:

I mean really it's the only way to justify the mass land theft that kickstarted European imperialism. The natives weren't making proper use of their land so it's only just for us to come and take over from them because of our superior god --> ethics --> genes --> blood.

The alternative is admitting that none of that poo poo was and is, in fact, justified or justifiable at all.

Justifications are stupid; might makes right

peace through power

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this mostly just means that the ukrainians drove off russian pickets and managed to drive their vehicles forward without getting bogged down and destroyed by russian fires. possibly they've adapted their mine-clearing or air defense protocols or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how long is the front ? is 16 km a big portion of it ?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

that’s an incredibly tiny amount of space lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

so after 4-5 days they finally got through the picket line at one point?

The first defensive line is south of there, they were able to cross a 16km wide portion of no-man's land essentially.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not an entirely negligible amount of square kilometres, but those particular square kilometres are not especially important. we'll see how this all develops in time, but i still doubt that this is how the ukrainians were hoping this would go

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1667246226692100109?cxt=HHwWmsC-8YLnn6MuAAAA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tank killing humvees ?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

euphronius posted:

tank killing humvees ?

humvees with atgm launchers attached to them

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

how long is the front ? is 16 km a big portion of it ?

Ir's a bit more ground than I usually cover when I walk my dog. So I assume that's the scale for industrial warfare between nations of millions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Palladium posted:

Well, there is that theory that the Baltics get special treatment because of the Baltic Conspiracy, The Lithuanian Conspiracy and the Soviet Collapse: Investigation Into a Political Demolition, the first colour revolution and the one that brought down the USSR.

Through interviews with leading participants on both sides, prominent Russian journalist Galina Sapozhnikova captures the political and human dimensions of betrayal and disillusionment that led to the collapse of the 20th century's greatest experiment in social engineering, and what happened to the men and women who struggled to destroy or save it. Termed "color" revolutions by the worldwide media as most were designated colors, these various movements developed in several societies in the former Soviet Union and the Baltic states during the early 2000s. In reality, they were US intelligence operations which covertly instigated, supported and infiltrated protest movements with a view to triggering “regime change” under the banner of a pro-democracy uprising . The objective was to manipulate elections, initiate violence, foment social unrest and use the resulting protest movement to topple an existing government in order to install a compliant pro-US government. What were the many tactics deployed in Lithuania, only now recognized as one of the first, to galvanize the popular uprising? Was Gorbachev's role duplicitous and anti-USSR? What was the role of Eugene Sharp in this grand show of historic transformation? Is nationalism a force to be welcomed or feared? How did the political shape-shifters act – the former Komsomol and Communist Party executives, who took high posts in the new “democratic” governments? What happened to the pro-democracy forces and to those they defeated in the aftermath? How has all this worked out for Lithuania? This book not only exposes the process, but sheds light on how these events play out, post regime-change. It is key to grasping the template that today underlies similar events in Syria, Ukraine, Venezuela and likely elsewhere, going forward. The Lithuanian revolution may be key among them, a trial run for the August coup against Gorbachev in Moscow and the Soviet collapse that changed the course of world history. To date, The Lithuanian Conspiracy has been published under other titles in Lithuanian, Russian and Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

euphronius posted:

tank killing humvees ?

Missile defenders can fire out of humvees while the humvees stay on the move.

C&C Generals rear end war.